PDA

View Full Version : Centerfielder

Simply Red
06-07-2006, 08:10 PM
Best in Baseball DEFENSIVELY? Your opinion?

jlscorpio
06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Torii Hunter. That's it, thats the list.

Simply Red
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM

Andruw Jones

Simply Red
06-07-2006, 08:15 PM

VERY VERY CLOSE THOUGH.

shakesthecat
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Andruw Jones

JBucc
06-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Torii Hunter. That's it, thats the list.I agree he's the best. He robs a HR like every other game.

JBucc
06-07-2006, 08:17 PM
I think Ichiro could be a great CFer if he wanted to be. Guess he just likes RF better.

nychief
06-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Andrew Jones

tyton75
06-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Jim Edmunds

JBucc
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Griffey Jr. may be old and slower than he used to be but he still makes some good plays.

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Jim Edmunds
that would be my guess

ChiefsFire
06-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Grif Jr

he can still trackem down

NJ Chief Fan
06-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Griffey Jr. may be old and slower than he used to be but he still makes some good plays.

imagine if he juiced? i use to hate this guy when he was younger, but now i have nothing but the most respect for him...too bad he couldnt stay healthy, he was definately something else in his younger days

IT SHOULD OF BEEN BONDS WITH ALL THOSE INJURIES!
:cuss:

ChiefsFire
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
imagine if he juiced? i use to hate this guy when he was younger, but now i have nothing but the most respect for him...too bad he couldnt stay healthy, he was definately something else in his younger days

oh hell yea

and I have 2 89 Upper Deck Grif Jr rookie cards stowed away hoping and praying for that

tk13
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Andruw Jones would probably be my choice. It's amazing to watch him get a jump on a ball, he makes it look too easy.

CHENZ A!
06-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Beltran when healthy, because he can get to any ball that these others can, and he has a better arm.

ChiefsCountry
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Beltran has the most talent, Hunter is probally the best, Griffey in his prime was the best, and Edmonds is prima donna showboat.

CoMoChief
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Andruw Jones, Torri Hunter, Jim Edmonds are on the same level in my book.

CoMoChief
06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Ichiro isnt bad either.

BWillie
06-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey...Jim Edmunds.. NO freaking way. Watch him play. He drives for routine plays alot. This is why he gets so much pub because you always see him on web gems. He's about middle of the line for centerfielders, still not bad defensively, but just very overrated.

StcChief
06-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Jim EdmundsWhen he's not banged up.

DJ's left nut
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
3 years ago, Andruw Jones v. Jim Edmonds was a good debate, but the debate ended there. It was one of those 2 guys (with the edge going to Edmonds).

Now, Edmonds has aged in dog years and Jones has put on quite a bit of weight, costing him a lot of his range. Jones is nowhere near the CFer he once was. He's definitely not in Hunter's league anymore. I'd argue that Vernon Wells is every bit as good as Jones is. Griffey Jr. may not even be the best CFer on his team, Freel can cover much more ground than the kid anymore.

Re: Edmonds 'showboating' Edmonds plays an extremely shallow CF. It looks like he's showboating on a lot of the plays he makes b/c they are balls that are caught in areas that most CFers wouldn't have a problem getting to. That is because the camera doesn't catch the play until Edmonds has already started his jump. He still goes back on balls better than any CFer in the game. The play he made in the 2004 NLCS would have gone down as legend had Bernie Williams or Johnny Damon made it (even though neither of those guys could make that play with a fishing net and a rocket pack). His ability to play so shallow and still get back on those balls saves a ton of runs. It cuts down on bloop hits and makes it almost impossible to score from 2nd on a single to CF. He has a very good, very accurate arm that will keep most guys from even trying.

So while it's true that many of his hightlight plays are plays that are simply tough, but not truly spectacular, it's his ability to still make those plays that allows him to play shallow enough to make plays that other CFers can't. Edmonds probably plays a good 20-30 feet closer to home than anyone else. It makes a huge difference.

Hunter
Wells
Healthy Edmonds (again, not Edmunds, but EdmOnds)
Jones

duncan_idaho
06-08-2006, 07:56 AM
When he's not banged up.

Watch Jim Edmonds play... it IS all about making the SportsCenter highlights for him. Watch his feet. You can see him short-stepping so he can dive for balls.

Which is funny, because he's such a pantywaist he shouldn't be diving for anything.

RockChalk
06-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Hunter
Beltran
Jones
Joey Gathwright (sp?)...in two years may be the best

The Griffey of the 90s would put all these boys to shame

penguinz
06-08-2006, 08:12 AM
deJesus! :D

BigRedChief
06-08-2006, 08:22 AM

:cuss:I watched him in person Monday night at Bush Stadium hit 2 home runs and a double including a 3 run homer in the 9th inning to win it. The game hasn't passed him by yet.

He's a lock for the HOF. He already has more HR's than Mantle, Stan "The Man" Musial and is 12th on the all time list about 60 HR's from 600.

Griffey between 1992-2000 was the best that ever lived defensively. He was fearless, running into walls, diving for balls.

And the best thing is that during the "Steriod Era". Griffey remained clean. He never cheated to hit his home runs.

RockChalk
06-08-2006, 08:33 AM
And the best thing is that during the "Steriod Era". Griffey remained clean. He never cheated to hit his home runs.

Better yet, he never cheated to stay healthy either. One of the things that I've always admired about Griffey is that he always looked as if he was enjoying himself out there. Always has that smile on his face. That's a lot more that you can say about the roid machines that play the game today.

ck_IN
06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Any votes for Kenny Lofton circa 90's?

He was a helluva gloveman with Cleveland.

BigRedChief
06-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Better yet, he never cheated to stay healthy either. One of the things that I've always admired about Griffey is that he always looked as if he was enjoying himself out there. Always has that smile on his face. That's a lot more that you can say about the roid machines that play the game today.

I'll always remember his dash from first base to score the winning run in the 95 playoffs. He gets mobbed at home plate by his teammates. There he is at the bottom of this huge pile of players with the biggest grin on his face.

RockChalk
06-08-2006, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Royals uniform next season. He's probably got a couple of good seasons left, if healthy.

epitome1170
06-08-2006, 09:37 AM
3 years ago, Andruw Jones v. Jim Edmonds was a good debate, but the debate ended there. It was one of those 2 guys (with the edge going to Edmonds).

Now, Edmonds has aged in dog years and Jones has put on quite a bit of weight, costing him a lot of his range. Jones is nowhere near the CFer he once was. He's definitely not in Hunter's league anymore. I'd argue that Vernon Wells is every bit as good as Jones is. Griffey Jr. may not even be the best CFer on his team, Freel can cover much more ground than the kid anymore.

Re: Edmonds 'showboating' Edmonds plays an extremely shallow CF. It looks like he's showboating on a lot of the plays he makes b/c they are balls that are caught in areas that most CFers wouldn't have a problem getting to. That is because the camera doesn't catch the play until Edmonds has already started his jump. He still goes back on balls better than any CFer in the game. The play he made in the 2004 NLCS would have gone down as legend had Bernie Williams or Johnny Damon made it (even though neither of those guys could make that play with a fishing net and a rocket pack). His ability to play so shallow and still get back on those balls saves a ton of runs. It cuts down on bloop hits and makes it almost impossible to score from 2nd on a single to CF. He has a very good, very accurate arm that will keep most guys from even trying.

So while it's true that many of his hightlight plays are plays that are simply tough, but not truly spectacular, it's his ability to still make those plays that allows him to play shallow enough to make plays that other CFers can't. Edmonds probably plays a good 20-30 feet closer to home than anyone else. It makes a huge difference.

Hunter
Wells
Healthy Edmonds (again, not Edmunds, but EdmOnds)
Jones

This guy knows what he is talking about. Edmonds has been getting a bad rap lately saying he gets late jumps or he slows down, but if you watch him in person you will be surprised and how great of a jump he really does get.

Still without question Hunter is above the rest.

rageeumr
06-08-2006, 09:46 AM
This thread reminds me of a great quote from www.selltheroyals.com

"we think a diving catch is only a diving catch if you dive BEFORE you catch the ball - even if you play centerfield in St. Louis;"

Halfcan
06-08-2006, 09:48 AM

Grif is a really cool guy to talk to and hang out with. I hope he keeps playing.

BigRedChief
06-08-2006, 09:52 AM
This thread reminds me of a great quote from www.selltheroyals.com (http://www.selltheroyals.com)

"we think a diving catch is only a diving catch if you dive BEFORE you catch the ball - even if you play centerfield in St. Louis;"

Hater