PDA

View Full Version : Nugent: Tynes can help the defense

Hammock Parties
06-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Tynes can help the defense

By Mike Nugent

Everyone who follows football knows the Kansas City Chiefs need to improve defensively. That’s really not groundbreaking news. Defensive play has been the bane of the Chiefs' existence for the better part of a decade.

After five seasons with an offensive minded coach, the Chiefs brought in Herm Edwards, and the anticipation of an improved defensive unit is high. But he’s not the only Chief looking to help the defense.

Kicker Lawrence Tynes is aiming to be one of the defense’s best friends this season. The Chiefs were sub-par last season in the kickoff game, which is huge when you consider how many times they scored. The Chiefs gave up several big returns and ranked 18th in the NFL in opponent’s starting position. Tynes’ averaged just 60.9 yards per kickoff, and the Chiefs recorded only two touchbacks.

Edwards and new special teams coach Mike Priefer are out to change things, and Tynes and the kicking scheme are the keys. Tynes can aid the defense if he’s set free to do what he does best.

“There’s a different scheme as far as how (Priefer) wants the ball kicked,” Tynes said. “I’m not giving anything away, but we’re going to do something that’s my strength. We did some things last year that weren’t my strength, we did them to try to outwit the return team, but for whatever reason, it didn’t work. He’s just going on my strengths and I know what they are, and Herm knows what they are, and it’s going to help me out.”

Tynes’ big leg is his major strength. He beat out the great Morten Andersen two seasons ago after the Chiefs got tired of Andersen struggling to kick field goals past 40 yards. Tynes’ big kicks were a breath of fresh air, and he also has the ability to consistently kick the football deep on kickoffs.

Last season, the Chiefs’ kicking scheme somewhat robbed Tynes of his leg strength. Dick Vermeil and former special teams coach Frank Gansz, Jr. asked Tynes to angle his kicks, sending the ball to a corner. Their goal was to give the coverage units an advantage, but that took away from Tynes’ ability to kick the ball deep. His main concern was aiming to a point on the field, and he couldn’t let loose on the football because of it.

“You want a coach who says, ‘Bang away, we’ll cover it, it’s our job to cover it,’” Tynes said. “When you start aiming, like anything, you’ve got to take a little power off it…coach Priefer says grip it and rip it, and we’ll cover it. That’s a positive for me.”

Tynes now has peace of mind knowing he can go out and just unload on the football, which should result in longer kicks. His only goal is to get the ball as far down the field as possible.

Not only has the new coaching staff changed Tynes’ approach, but they’ve also changed the way he prepares. During the Vermeil era, special teams’ periods were in the middle of practices, resulting in idle time for Tynes and the coverage units. Edwards has shifted the team’s focus, and now the Chiefs hold their special teams’ periods at the beginning of practice. The result is a kicker who is better prepared, sharper and happier.

“In years past, we’d warm up, we’d kick, then we’d wait another 45 minutes,” said Tynes. “With Herm, we’re going to get good work done. We’re going to stretch, kick and we’ll be ready to go and get all our special teams knocked out. They might throw a hurry-up field goal in there, but I’ll know about it.”

If the Chiefs can improve the kicking game, the defense will have a longer field to defend, forcing opposing offenses to mount longer drives. Last season, field position was a major factor in the Chiefs defensive woes. This season, it can be a major factor in improving the defense.

Halfcan
06-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Frank Ganz was absolutely horrible-thank God he is gone. I was pretty tired of seeing us give it to them on the 45 to start every drive.

Hopefully they will get some blockers for Dante this year also.

BigRock
06-07-2006, 11:08 PM
“I’m not giving anything away, but we’re going to do something that’s my strength.”

Tynes’ big leg is his major strength.
Hey, I thought he didn't want to give it away.

Wa-Z
06-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Wow, it seems like DV's coaching approach was really unethical. I'm thankful we have someone younger!

SLAG
06-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Another WPI article no?

We might see more Kickoff out of bounds now

ChiefaRoo
06-08-2006, 12:04 AM
You mean to tell me that Tynes can jack the ball deep into the Endzone most if not all of the time therefore limiting run backs? If that's correct then Ganz and Vermeil we're foolish to have him angle his kicks as it apparently reduced his distance and increased the possibility of having the ball go OB. I guess we'll find out but I just replayed a couple kickoffs from the Redskins game last year in Arrowhead and he kicked them dead down the middle and James Thrash caught them both on the 5 yard line. I'm calling BS on this one. Note to Tynes make the kicks in the clutch and quit worrying about anything else.

Hammock Parties
06-08-2006, 12:04 AM
We might see more Kickoff out of bounds now

Why? Tynes hasn't shown that propensity in the past and now he's going to be kicking it straight down the field, or at least trying to.

SLAG
06-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Why? Tynes hasn't shown that propensity in the past and now he's going to be kicking it straight down the field, or at least trying to.

It would just be fitting for us thats all

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Ill believe it when I see it. I don't like a kicker who makes up excuses

Monkeylook4food
06-08-2006, 12:11 AM
You mean to tell me that Tynes can jack the ball deep into the Endzone most if not all of the time therefore limiting run backs?

I'm pretty sure I didn't see that in the article. Maybe if you could cut and paste that section it might help me out.

ChiefsLV
Frank Ganz was absolutely horrible-thank God he is gone. I was pretty tired of seeing us give it to them on the 45 to start every drive.

Hopefully they will get some blockers for Dante this year also.

Not as bad as Mike Stock though. What are the Packers thinking hiring that guy? :shake:

ChiefaRoo
You mean to tell me that Tynes can jack the ball deep into the Endzone most if not all of the time therefore limiting run backs? If that's correct then Ganz and Vermeil we're foolish to have him angle his kicks as it apparently reduced his distance and increased the possibility of having the ball go OB. I guess we'll find out but I just replayed a couple kickoffs from the Redskins game last year in Arrowhead and he kicked them dead down the middle and James Thrash caught them both on the 5 yard line. I'm calling BS on this one. Note to Tynes make the kicks in the clutch and quit worrying about anything else.

OK, I just watched every kickoff in this game (good weather game) and he kicked evey one of them to the 4 through 6 yard lines almost dead center in the middle of the field. Apparently Tynes can't kick the ball into the goal line much less the E-Zone so maybe Vermeil and his guys were right to have him angle it.

Monkeylook4food
06-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Ill believe it when I see it. I don't like a kicker who makes up excuses
I read an article about a kicker who was accentuating the positives of the new staff rather than belaboring the problems with the old. If anybody was making excuses, it may have been the author on behalf of the kicker. IMO

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
06-08-2006, 12:41 AM
I read an article about a kicker who was accentuating the positives of the new staff rather than belaboring the problems with the old. If anybody was making excuses, it may have been the author on behalf of the kicker. IMO
Well I read an article where Tynes had a theory about his poor kickoff performance. Why reference it at all? For the article? ok, but I'll still believe it when I see it. Whether it's a reason or excuse is yet to be seen. How were his Kickoff's in NFLE? Right now I think he has been looking for an excuse, but I hope he proves me wrong

Sfeihc
06-08-2006, 05:27 AM
Way to go Nuge! Keep up the good work.

JimNasium
06-08-2006, 05:31 AM
When did the Motor City Madman take up sports journalism?

HemiEd
06-08-2006, 06:19 AM
OK, I just watched every kickoff in this game (good weather game) and he kicked evey one of them to the 4 through 6 yard lines almost dead center in the middle of the field. Apparently Tynes can't kick the ball into the goal line much less the E-Zone so maybe Vermeil and his guys were right to have him angle it.

That is how I remember it.

rad
06-08-2006, 07:28 AM
When did the Motor City Madman take up sports journalism?

ROFL
You're thinking of Ted.

JBucc
06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
An article about a kicker? There must be even less happening this offseason than I thought.

jidar
06-08-2006, 07:45 AM
I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how DV screwed everything up. This is a lot of bad karma.

Hammock Parties
06-08-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how DV screwed everything up. This is a lot of bad karma.

I think it's only natural when a coach that accomplished nothing leaves.

KCTitus
06-08-2006, 07:52 AM
An article about a kicker? There must be even less happening this offseason than I thought.

That's what I was thinking...

Chiefnj
06-08-2006, 07:56 AM
I think it's a pretty interesting article.

I wonder why Vermeil and staff had him angling kicks. Could it be he really doesn't have the strength he thinks he does? Can he get it in the endzone only on low kicks without any airtime giving opposing teams a good opportunity for a decent run back? Was/is the coverage team so poor they would rather kick it short and to one side and give up yardage on the initial kick/ball placement ?

The Chiefs had a really big turn around in special teams players between 2004 and 2005. IIRC, the Chiefs lost their #2, #3, #4 special teams tacklers from 2004. (Stills was #1). It could be the newer guys - Grigsby, etc., just weren't up to the same level yet.

Monkeylook4food
06-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Would you rather have an article about how Ty Law may come to KC, about how Herm Edwards is a different style of coach than DV, how the offensive line is really good, how Priest Holmes may come back, or this?

I thought it was fresh and interesting. I enjoyed it no matter who wrote it.

StcChief
06-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Would you rather have an article about how Ty Law may come to KC, about how Herm Edwards is a different style of coach than DV, how the offensive line is really good, how Priest Holmes may come back, or this?

I thought it was fresh and interesting. I enjoyed it no matter who wrote it.
Yeah. nothing wrong with how they are addressing ST issues.
I wondered that in games where the other team is starting at 35+ YL
when a high deep kick keeps them at 20 or less.

penguinz
06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
OK, I just watched every kickoff in this game (good weather game) and he kicked evey one of them to the 4 through 6 yard lines almost dead center in the middle of the field. Apparently Tynes can't kick the ball into the goal line much less the E-Zone so maybe Vermeil and his guys were right to have him angle it.If a kick straight down the middle is around the 4-6 yard lines then a kick angled to the corners is going to be more like the 10-15 yard lines.

Chiefnj
12-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Bump.
I was thinking of KC's floundering special team and remembered this offseason tidbit. It was alleged that DV and Ganz hindered Tynes by having him kick on an angle rather than letting him boot it straight downfield for a TB.

"Last season, the Chiefs’ kicking scheme somewhat robbed Tynes of his leg strength. Dick Vermeil and former special teams coach Frank Gansz, Jr. asked Tynes to angle his kicks, sending the ball to a corner. Their goal was to give the coverage units an advantage, but that took away from Tynes’ ability to kick the ball deep. His main concern was aiming to a point on the field, and he couldn’t let loose on the football because of it.

“You want a coach who says, ‘Bang away, we’ll cover it, it’s our job to cover it,’” Tynes said. “When you start aiming, like anything, you’ve got to take a little power off it…coach Priefer says grip it and rip it, and we’ll cover it. That’s a positive for me.”"

After 3/4ths of the season it looks like Tynes doesn't quite have the leg strength that he thought. He has only 4 touchbacks which places him near the bottom of the league (tied at 25) for that stat.

Baby Lee
12-04-2006, 11:52 AM
That article was actually written by Robin Williams.