View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs Team Report

Tribal Warfare
06-10-2006, 01:34 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/chiefs/index.html

Chiefs Team Report
6/9/2006

By Adam Teicher
Kansas City Star http://i.tsn.com/i/p/s.gif

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The Chiefs shouldn't get into a bidding war over rookie SS Jarrad Page, their seventh-round draft pick. Page also was selected in the seventh round of the baseball draft by the Angels. Page has been impressive in offseason practices but will probably never be more than a backup for the Chiefs, who drafted another strong safety, Bernard Pollard, in the second round. Pollard has a reasonable chance of unseating the incumbent starter, Sammy Knight, this season. Going beyond the standard seventh-round bonus in Page's case would set a bad precedent. . . .

SCOUTING REPORT: OLB Kris Griffin eventually could develop into a productive player. An undrafted rookie last season, Griffin immediately showed similar skills to Derrick Johnson. Griffin is fast, has good instincts and good hands that allow him to make plays when he gets into passing lanes. The Chiefs were comfortable enough with Griffin to use him occasionally as a fourth linebacker when they went to a 3-4 look last year. He doesn't figure to get much more of a role than that this year unless there's an injury, but if Griffin adds some muscle and becomes more of a factor against the run, he could someday be a starter.

INSIDE DISH: Look for the Chiefs to acquire a veteran to back up RB Larry Johnson before the start of the season. The Chiefs have patiently waited for Priest Holmes, but they can't afford to do so much longer. The longer they go without getting some indication from Holmes about his future, the more uneasy about the situation they get. The Chiefs have yet to explore many options other than to answer the phone when the Saints called offering Michael Bennett.

GUARDS/CENTERS ANALYSIS: A-plus. Gs Brian Waters and Will Shields are Pro Bowlers; C Casey Wiegmann is athletic and a perfect fit for the Chiefs' system.

58-4ever
06-10-2006, 01:36 AM
It looks more everyday like Priest isn't coming back.

unlurking
06-10-2006, 06:58 AM
Out of curiosity, do we get any compensation if we lose Page to baseball from the league? An extra 7th round pick next year or anything?

CupidStunt
06-10-2006, 10:42 AM
No. We run the risk of any player deciding not to sign with the Chiefs after we draft them. In Page's case, it's just a lot more likely than in most other cases.

jlscorpio
06-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Bell should be behind Fox and Griffin on the depth chart. I like Griffin's game, he just needs some expereince. Heard he didn't exactly turn heads in NFLE, though. :-(

milkman
06-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Bell should be behind Fox and Griffin on the depth chart. I like Griffin's game, he just needs some expereince. Heard he didn't exactly turn heads in NFLE, though. :-(

Griffen started the NFLE season respectably, but wasn't impressive, IMO.
And he really tailed off as the season progressed.

After the rather unremarkable season he had there, I would be surprised if he turns out to be anything more than a scrub.

CoMoChief
06-10-2006, 10:59 AM

I saw him make some really good plays. He made some good INT's when I watched a game. However I didnt follow him or the NFLE closely at all so maybe he played really inconsistant I dont know.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-10-2006, 11:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-brown060906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Titans may trade Chris Brown. Backing up LJ may not be to his liking

StcChief
06-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Well great...talk is cheap

Let's see the cuts. Fatman Sims/ Spithood - Jr.Savaii

Mr. Laz
06-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Griffen started the NFLE season respectably, but wasn't impressive, IMO.
And he really tailed off as the season progressed.

After the rather unremarkable season he had there, I would be surprised if he turns out to be anything more than a scrub.
i didn't like how Griffin was always the last guy to the pile.

one of those guys that didn't make the initial tackle ... but was just around to help.

played with the attitude more like a safety imo ... a free safety, not very physical.

KCBOSS1
06-10-2006, 12:32 PM

I actually look for Bell to have a much better year this year.....we'll see. He was too good of a player before getting hurt. He obviously never found his niche last year. But I believe that he will shine under Edwards' lead.

BWillie
06-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Well great...talk is cheap

Let's see the cuts. Fatman Sims/ Spithood - Jr.Savaii

You're crazy if you think they are cutting Sims. I'd bet the house he'll be starting opening day.

CupidStunt
06-10-2006, 01:11 PM
I dunno about Bell under Edwards but I could see Derrick Johnson having a Pro Bowl-caliber season in the new defense.

Logical
06-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I have to agree that a 7th rounder is not worth getting ourselves into an uproar about. I wonder what percentage of 7th rounders ever become starters?

ChiefsCountry
06-10-2006, 03:44 PM
I think Bell will have a better season. He learned a whole new position last year.

Rain Man
06-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I wish I knew why everyone is so high on Fox. I have yet to see him make a play, and it appears that his most marquee accomplishment so far is attacking Monty Beisel in a team meeting.

keg in kc
06-10-2006, 03:56 PM
I wish I knew why everyone is so high on Fox. I have yet to see him make a play, and it appears that his most marquee accomplishment so far is attacking Monty Beisel in a team meeting.It's the backup/practice squad player syndrome, which is similar to the player-on-another-team syndrome - they have to be better than the starter. They just have to. Right?

Rain Man
06-10-2006, 04:05 PM
It's the backup/practice squad player syndrome, which is similar to the player-on-another-team syndrome - they have to be better than the starter. They just have to. Right?

Ah, yes. You're right, of course. The gem hidden in a rhinestone phenomenon.

Hammock Parties
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
Fox is supposed to be fast and athletic. He's the anti-Bell.

keg in kc
06-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I've always seen Fox as Donnie Edward$, jr. A linebacker trying to play in a free safety's body. Sir dragged-a-lot.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

tommykat
06-10-2006, 10:34 PM
:hmmm:Thinking Priest won't be back? Just a thought, if you had the injury as he did and still would like to come back? Such a class act guy!:clap: If he returns is still a question, however.......I say at least I would KNOW FOR SURE~ Priest will retire a CHIEF!

Sims to start? :hmmm: Yes he will.........

Beyond that? I didn't read the rest of the comments/crap :D

Chiefs Pantalones
06-10-2006, 10:48 PM
:hmmm:Thinking Priest won't be back? Just a thought, if you had the injury as he did and still would like to come back? Such a class act guy!:clap: If he returns is still a question, however.......I say at least I would KNOW FOR SURE~ Priest will retire a CHIEF!

Sims to start? :hmmm: Yes he will.........

Beyond that? I didn't read the rest of the comments/crap :D
heh

tommykat
06-10-2006, 10:52 PM
heh

Dang Cody I finally figured out it was you...........so shut up and take your pants down again and again..........Oh wait!!!! Not till the games begin.:D

Chiefs Pantalones
06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Dang Cody I finally figured out it was you...........so shut up and take your pants down again and again..........Oh wait!!!! Not till the games begin.:D
i have something to say...

tommykat
06-10-2006, 11:00 PM
i have something to say...

OK, to funny..........you win as I am so pooped and have no come back tonight.........(Beware, I wil get you tho) :D

Chiefs Pantalones
06-10-2006, 11:02 PM
(Beware, I wil get you tho) :D

sweet

beer bacon
06-11-2006, 12:38 AM
I've always seen Fox as Donnie Edward$, jr. A linebacker trying to play in a free safety's body. Sir dragged-a-lot.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Fox is 6'3 and 235 pounds. Most free safetys weigh under 210 pounds. Feel better now?

sedated
06-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Fox made some good plays in his limited time, kinda like Carlos Hall.

Kris Griffin is yet another fugg-up from Grandpa Dick. We gave up Fujita to keep that ass-hat

J Diddy
06-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Fox made some good plays in his limited time, kinda like Carlos Hall.

Kris Griffin is yet another fugg-up from Grandpa Dick. We gave up Fujita to keep that ass-hat

wtf are you talking about, he's gonna be a stud

I thought he did great in the preseason until he got hurt.

Spicy McHaggis
06-11-2006, 01:30 AM
I wish I knew why everyone is so high on Fox. I have yet to see him make a play, and it appears that his most marquee accomplishment so far is attacking Monty Beisel in a team meeting.

I'm a Fox fan because I liked him at GT. The linebackers were a bright spot on a team that was otherwise pretty mediocre. Unfortunately he hasn't stayed healthy/had a chance to really show what he can do.

SLAG
06-11-2006, 01:34 AM
How many plays has fox been in on?

I have seen griffin more than fox but is that because he has been hurt?