PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: The End of Scholarships

Kerberos
06-10-2006, 07:31 AM
I looked at the threads from here to yesterday at 0800 and didn't see this. I could have missed it???

Good read from Gretz and I hope it has some merit!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/06/09/gretz_the_end_of_scholarships/

The Chiefs finished up another week of OTA workouts on Thursday at the Sports Complex. They had a remarkable turnout of players taking part, with over 80 players on the field in the hot June sun.

That the turnout was so large is a good sign that the players have come to understand how important this off-season work is to extending their futures with the new regime of Herman Edwards. If they haven’t figured out yet, they will soon. There are no scholarships at Arrowhead University this year.

Scholarships? That’s when a player hangs around on the roster because of what he might be, not what he is or has been. It tends to happen when a team has a long-term coach, GM or personnel leader. They tend to grant second, third, sometimes fourth chances to players, despite the fact they’ve not earned them on the field, whether it be practice or in games.

What happens when a new coach shows up is that the scholarships end for players from the previous regime. When a new personnel leader comes in, even more scholarships disappear. These players no longer have an advocate in the personnel meetings that are constantly held in the off-season and during training camp. It does not matter if they were once high draft choices, or major acquisitions through free agency or trades. There are new eyes watching and they see only what they see. The past is not important. Only the present and what it means to the future.

That’s the case at Arrowhead right now. The double punch of Edwards and Bill Kuharich has taken away the safety net for some of the players on the roster. The meter is ticking on their futures. They can certainly extend their time wearing red and gold by making big strides in the off-season and then training camp.

But there’s no more waiting.

There have already been a number of these moves made in the last six months. CB Eric Warfield would be a good example. It’s not often that a five-year starter, who has just turned 30 years old is cut loose for reasons other than financial. That wasn’t the case with Warfield; the Chiefs had simply grown tired of his inconsistent play and his lack of focus on and off the field. His scholarship was pulled. They simply got tired of waiting for him to mature.

There are others still on the roster that should be worried, mostly on the defensive side of the football. Let’s start on the line, where Ryan Sims and Junior Siavii rank as draft disappointments. Sims has not produced like the sixth pick in the draft should after four seasons. Siavii should really be concerned. Right now, he’s not practicing because of sore knees. Without a scholarship, the former second-round pick can’t afford sore knees. He needs to be on the field and he needs to be producing plays and impressions in Edwards’ mind.

The same goes for Julian Battle in the secondary. A former third-round pick didn’t play for two years and then missed last year with an injury. If he doesn’t step forward in this off-season and pre-season, his chances of staying around Arrowhead aren’t very good.

On the offensive side of the ball, there’s a great opportunity for young receivers Jeris McIntyre and Craphonso Thorpe. There are at least two roster spots available at that position with the departures of Marc Boerigter and Chris Horn in free agency. Both are former draft choices, and this will be McIntyre’s third attempt to make the roster, and Thorpe’s second. If they don’t step through the door, they will be out the door.

One of the worst words any coach hears is “potential.” If a player has potential, it means he’s not performing.

And that means he’s not long for work in 2006 at Arrowhead Stadium.

milkman
06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
The only person these guys really have to worry about is Carl.

When Carl decides that Sims and Siavii have used up their all chances, then they'll be shown the door.

And doesn't seem just a little ridiculous that Gretz throws Thorpe's name into this?

Kerberos
06-10-2006, 08:24 AM
With the "Cunningham Rips Sims" thread I think we will all see that Sims is just about out the door.

He comes to OTA's FAT and out of shape in his contract year. I will repeat that: You would think he would have come to OTA/Training Camp in the BEST shape of his life like last year. Makes you wonder WHAT THE HELL IS HE THINKING?

Thorpe? Maybe just using some reverse psychology? Who knows. I just hope we don't get rid of some people that might be a step or two away from being at the cutting edge? It's kind of a double edge sword!

jspchief
06-10-2006, 08:35 AM
If there is any truth to this article at all, Junior Siavii is a goner.

KC Jones
06-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Didn't we promote Bill Kuharich from within the organization? What a load of croc - he's been helping pick and develop these guys all along, and his favorites are still going to get their 'scholarships'.

dirk digler
06-10-2006, 09:10 AM
If there is any truth to this article at all, Junior Siavii is a goner.

I hope he is. Great job drafting him CP. :banghead:

milkman
06-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I hope he is. Great job drafting him CP. :banghead:

Didn't I read somewhere that Siavii was a guy that Gunt had a woody for, so Carl acceded to his wish?

RedandGold
06-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Didn't I read somewhere that Siavii was a guy that Gunt had a woody for, so Carl acceded to his wish?

My memory migh be a little off, but I remember Junior being a Vermeil pick. At the time, I believe that there was mention of one of the Oregon coaches being on Vermeil's staff in St. Louis, and we ended up drafting both Siavii and Samie Parker from Oregon.

teedubya
06-10-2006, 09:29 AM
buh bye bartee your scholarship ran out in 1998.

jspchief
06-10-2006, 09:33 AM
My memory migh be a little off, but I remember Junior being a Vermeil pick. At the time, I believe that there was mention of one of the Oregon coaches being on Vermeil's staff in St. Louis, and we ended up drafting both Siavii and Samie Parker from Oregon.I seem to remember Siavii being a Vermeil guy too, but don't really remember any specifics that make me think that.

Kerberos
06-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I seem to remember Siavii being a Vermeil guy too, but don't really remember any specifics that make me think that.

Vermeil got a woody when he talked about him when they drafted him and he also said he was RAW talent and needed a lot of work.

:hmmm:

I guess his work habits (or lack there of) have caught up with him.

milkman
06-10-2006, 09:46 AM
My memory migh be a little off, but I remember Junior being a Vermeil pick. At the time, I believe that there was mention of one of the Oregon coaches being on Vermeil's staff in St. Louis, and we ended up drafting both Siavii and Samie Parker from Oregon.

I seem to remember Siavii being a Vermeil guy too, but don't really remember any specifics that make me think that.

My memory is spotty, at best, so I'll take your word(s) for it.

Point being that, while Carl is the man to blame, his failure has always been relying too heavily on his moron coaches for input.

His ultimate failure is hiring those morons, to begin with.

jspchief
06-10-2006, 09:56 AM
My memory is spotty, at best, so I'll take your word(s) for it.

Point being that, while Carl is the man to blame, his failure has always been relying too heavily on his moron coaches for input.

His ultimate failure is hiring those morons, to begin with.Our drafts under Vermeil were terrible IMO. We drafted a ton of guys based on "potential" rather than production. The only times we got it right was when we traded picks away, or when Carl superceded Vermeil (LJ).

milkman
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Our drafts under Vermeil were terrible IMO. We drafted a ton of guys based on "potential" rather than production. The only times we got it right was when we traded picks away, or when Carl superceded Vermeil (LJ).

Agreed.

But we didn't draft well in Gunt's time, or Marty's either, at least on the offensive side.

A couple of the Vermeil era picks still have time to make an impact, like Kawika and Parker, so it may not end in a total washout.

RedandGold
06-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Agreed.

But we didn't draft well in Gunt's time, or Marty's either, at least on the offensive side.

A couple of the Vermeil era picks still have time to make an impact, like Kawika and Parker, so it may not end in a total washout.

I'm pretty certain that Svitek, Mitchell, and Derrick Johnson will end up okay. Who knows, we might even get something out of Kris Wilson as well.

milkman
06-10-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty certain that Svitek, Mitchell, and Derrick Johnson will end up okay. Who knows, we might even get something out of Kris Wilson as well.

I'm really looking at the early rounds, primarily.
No later than the 4th.

I think DJ was a no brainer, so I can't really give too much credit there.

I have serious doubts about whether Wilson will ever amount to anything.

I really think that this season that Parker will blossom into an outstanding #2 receiver, since it will be his third, about the time that most receivers really start to show.

I fully expect Kawika to continue to grow, especially with a new LB coach.

Then there's Jared Allen, who has been, to this point, the best pick in the early rounds of the Vermeil era that wasn't a pick that Carl took in spite of Dick's desire.

milkman
06-10-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm forgetting Keyaron Fox, who I think will eventually replace Bell, and will shine when given the opportunity.

RedandGold
06-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I guess we can throw Colquitt in there as well. I have a feeling that he'll be around for a while.

nychief
06-10-2006, 10:29 AM
JR. has cronic knee problems, he is done. fug'em. I'd take 10 James Reeds, underdog - big motor - to that fat sack.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2006, 11:10 AM
JR. has cronic knee problems, he is done. fug'em. I'd take 10 James Reeds, underdog - big motor - to that fat sack.
i think i remember vermeil saying something about savaii having bone spurs on back of his knee cap(s) and it would only be fixed with surgery.

but then they said they weren't going to have the surgery :shrug:

good thing if they take a fresh look at the players.

Hammock Parties
06-10-2006, 11:13 AM
The Chiefs should just stop drafting second rounders. They should have Mel Kiper do it for them.

milkman
06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
The Chiefs should just stop drafting second rounders. They should have Mel Kiper do it for them.

Maybe we should just go ahead and trade the rights to Bernard Pollard before he has a chance t be the Chiefs next second round bust.

And let's trade Kawika now, too.
Clearly there's no hope for him.

Hammock Parties
06-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Maybe we should just go ahead and trade the rights to Bernard Pollard before he has a chance t be the Chiefs next second round bust.

How do you know Mel Kiper wouldn't have picked Kawika? :D

go bo
06-10-2006, 11:28 AM
JR. has cronic knee problems, he is done. fug'em. I'd take 10 James Reeds, underdog - big motor - to that fat sack.you obviously have never seen junior without his pads on...

the boy is freaking huge and is NOT fat at all...

just a really big man...

if he overcomes his knee problems (which doesn't look too likely at this point), and learns his position, he could be a real force...

of course, if i were 35 years younger and weighed 330 pounds without being fat, i might be a force too...

Mr. Laz
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM

you really don't want to go through the 2nd round list, do ya? :D

crispystl
06-10-2006, 11:57 AM
you really don't want to go through the 2nd round list, do ya? :DI can only remember Wilson Mitchell and Pollard who's the other 2????

Hammock Parties
06-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I can only remember Wilson Mitchell and Pollard who's the other 2????

The other TWO?

milkman
06-10-2006, 11:59 AM
you really don't want to go through the 2nd round list, do ya? :D

I'm familiar with the history.

I'm just saying that history, is just that, history.

It doesn't impact the present, or the future, in this instance.

Mr. Laz
06-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm familiar with the history.

I'm just saying that history, is just that, history.

It doesn't impact the present, or the future, in this instance.

learn from the past or you're doomed to repeat it

milkman
06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
learn from the past or you're doomed to repeat it

So, what we learned from the past, prior to '03, is that Penn St. RBs should be avoided at all costs.

FAX
06-10-2006, 12:25 PM
So, after we get rid of all the underperforming players, who is going to help the other 5 guys on defense?

FAX

Mr. Laz
06-10-2006, 12:35 PM
So, what we learned from the past, prior to '03, is that Penn St. RBs should be avoided at all costs.

and why do the chiefs need scouts at all ........ just go to the combine and pick out the best looking athlete.

i mean all their college game performance are just "the past" ...... don't mean anything moving forward.

Rain Man
06-10-2006, 02:55 PM
How on earth does Siavii have sore knees? He plays four downs per season.

milkman
06-10-2006, 06:04 PM
How on earth does Siavii have sore knees? He plays four downs per season.

Sucking Dick, in order to keep his job.

FAX
06-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Siavii has redefined the position of dick sucker.

FAX

milkman
06-10-2006, 06:09 PM
and why do the chiefs need scouts at all ........ just go to the combine and pick out the best looking athlete.

i mean all their college game performance are just "the past" ...... don't mean anything moving forward.

That sounds like the draft philosophy the Chiefs have been using for years, until this year.

The point, that you don't seem to be getting, is that, in spite of the Chiefs failures in the second round in the past, it doesn't mean they should just give up, as GoChiefs suggested.

Kawika is just starting to play to the potential that they saw in him when they drafted him in the second round.

milkman
06-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Siavii has redefined the position of dick sucker.

FAX

That's Dick, as in Dick Vermeil.