PDA

View Full Version : Webcams... Security

jspchief
06-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Before posing my question, I'll set it up with the backstory.

A close friend of mine got a webcam not long ago. One her concerns was people's ability to spy on you via your own webcam. Apparently she overheard a coworker making several comments that gave her an indication that person had actually listened in on conversations that were conducted via webcam.

So my question is, is this possible?

Let's assume that this coworker holds a job that requires no ability in regards to technology, so at least on the surface doesn't appear to be any type of l33t hax0r.

StcChief
06-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Yes it is there is software to do this
for dumb users that do not securing the port.

http://www.spynetcam.com/

jspchief
06-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Well, I don't doubt that my friend didn't take necessary security measures. She's as computer retarded as they come.

But what are the odds of a coworker being able to zero in on her specific webcam? That software you linked appears to provide thousands of cameras, but is it designed to find specific cameras?

The reason I'm interested is that I think my friend may have some psychological problems. She swears she overheard a coworker talking about listening in on this friends conversations. She blew her top at work over it, and now she's halfway to getting fired, and everyone there thinks she's insane... and I wonder if they are right.

htismaqe
06-12-2006, 07:20 AM
What kind of conversations? Via instant messenger with an integrated camera?

I'd say it's highly unlikely someone is spying on her via her webcam...

htismaqe
06-12-2006, 07:25 AM
FYI, that software nm_dbf linked to apparently only finds webcam "broadcasts" -- website reflectors that display whatever the webcam is looking at. They're ONE-WAY.

From the sounds of your original post, she's talking about IM ("conversations") which that software wouldn't have anything to do with...

StcChief
06-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Well, I don't doubt that my friend didn't take necessary security measures. She's as computer retarded as they come.

But what are the odds of a coworker being able to zero in on her specific webcam? That software you linked appears to provide thousands of cameras, but is it designed to find specific cameras?

The reason I'm interested is that I think my friend may have some psychological problems. She swears she overheard a coworker talking about listening in on this friends conversations. She blew her top at work over it, and now she's halfway to getting fired, and everyone there thinks she's insane... and I wonder if they are right.
didn't quite understand, I have seen software that can hack a port for your webcam, this stuff may not be it....

As far as your friends mental state. Maybe paranoid is the word.

Fish
06-12-2006, 11:31 AM
It IS possible.... although highly unlikely. She would have to be running a much older version of Windows without any security software running in terms of firewall protection or even a decent virus scanner. Either that, or somebody had physical access to her machine long enough that they could set up exceptions within her firewall and other security programs to allow someone to connect and control her machine remotely.

Back in the Win95 days when webcams were first coming out, there were programs you could run that would let you do this quite easily.... Back Orifice for one.... They used to have this video taken from this guy's webcam basically bragging about the software. It showed the video from this dude's webcam of him typing on his computer and you could see his girlfriend in the background laying on his bed in her bra and panties.... The hacker that had control of his machine popped up a system message on the guy's computer that said "Why don't you get off IRC and spend some time with your girlfriend... she's waiting on the bed in her black undies" I will never forget the expression on the poor guys face....

But in this case it sounds like she's just way over paranoid.....

jspchief
06-12-2006, 04:05 PM
FYI, that software nm_dbf linked to apparently only finds webcam "broadcasts" -- website reflectors that display whatever the webcam is looking at. They're ONE-WAY.

From the sounds of your original post, she's talking about IM ("conversations") which that software wouldn't have anything to do with...Well, I guess they would be IM conversations. You contact someone via IM, but then use the webcam to get live video and sound.

SLAG
06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Well, I guess they would be IM conversations. You contact someone via IM, but then use the webcam to get live video and sound.

It also depends if your co-worker was using the webcam/IM session at work or at home. either way it is Technically possible that her conversation was not 100% private.. if your coworker had a virus, Spyware,or keylogger installed on their machine at home for example then that could compromise the session.

if it was at work some employers do have firewalls that can sit and log any and all IM activity automaticlly.

htismaqe
06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
It also depends if your co-worker was using the webcam/IM session at work or at home. either way it is Technically possible that her conversation was not 100% private.. if your coworker had a virus, Spyware,or keylogger installed on their machine at home for example then that could compromise the session.

if it was at work some employers do have firewalls that can sit and log any and all IM activity automaticlly.

Yep.

But the probability that her coworker was using one of those means to "spy" on a peer-to-peer IM session is very, very low.

SLAG
06-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Yep.

But the probability that her coworker was using one of those means to "spy" on a peer-to-peer IM session is very, very low.

true... i'm guessing the fellow coworker was just fuxing with her.. shes sounds like she would be fun to mess with

haaman
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
im using an unknown wireless network.So is it possible for someone to hack my webcam conversations??????

Jewish Rabbi
10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
im using an unknown wireless network.So is it possible for someone to hack my webcam conversations??????

No, you're good. You have no need to worry about anything, fell free to do online banking and enter in such information as your credit card, bank account number, and SSN. Just because it's an unknown network doesn't mean it is unsecure.

haaman
10-05-2009, 11:25 PM
No, you're good. You have no need to worry about anything, fell free to do online banking and enter in such information as your credit card, bank account number, and SSN. Just because it's an unknown network doesn't mean it is unsecure.
an unknown in meant to unsecure wireless network.

88TG88
10-05-2009, 11:56 PM

Yes, now get back to your girlfriend in the black undies.