PDA

View Full Version : Any Kyle Petty fans?

John_Locke
06-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I watch NASCAR to fill the void between football season. I tend to favor Kyle Petty...the King was awesome.

Most of my kids friends like the younger ones, but I was just talking about the ending of an era

Dale Gone
Rudd retired
Rusty retired
Martin probably going to retire
Ward Burton Gone

jeesh...how do you fill those shoes?

recxjake
06-10-2006, 05:22 PM
why would you pick the worst driver currently in nascar to be your favorite?

John_Locke
06-10-2006, 05:25 PM

he isn't the worst, but I think it is more for sentimental reasons.

BWillie
06-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I don't watch much Nascar, but I like Jeff Gordon because he can speak eloquently, is good looking, and can actually read. That pisses the hell out of Earnhardt fans.

StcChief
06-10-2006, 06:20 PM
More of a Tom Petty fan.

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 06:20 PM
I started watching NASCAR about a decade ago, and I agree it's sad to see so many of the drivers that I'm familiar with leaving. These are the guys who led NASCAR through an unprecedented period of growth, and I think much of the credit for the increased popularity goes to them. Rusty was definitely one of my favorites, great guy and a great ambassador to the sport.

There's some good young drivers to get excited about though, most of them seem to have the competitive spirit to keep things interesting. It's all good.

kcxiv
06-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Kyle is a good guy. I am a Bobby Labonte Fan. Go Petty enterprises.

Also, i Like Tony Stewart cuase he was Bobby's teammate. Mark Martin is good guy too, cant help but root for the guy.

sedated
06-10-2006, 06:28 PM
car racing is not a sport

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 06:31 PM
If golf is, then car racing is.

sedated
06-10-2006, 06:34 PM
If golf is, then car racing is.

when you play golf, you actually depend on your own ability.

car racing is decided by a mechanical...tool.

If car racing is a sport, so are video games

(BTW, I'm not too fond of golf either. but its more of a sport than NASCAR)

kcxiv
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM

well you do have to know"how" to drive,not anyone can go in a circle driving 180 miles and hour into a left turn. That shit takes skill,also to know what adjustments you need to make on the car. Its not just driving in a circle. Its way more complicated thenthat.

StcChief
06-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Roundy-roundy left turns, rubbin' is not a sport.

Formula 1, open wheel has bit more challenge, run it on a
a modified city course Long Beach, Detroit etc.

24 hour racing has some appeal (not to watch).

Or cross-country in a sports car etc.

Golf needs more real obsticles (like in a cemetary) would work. ala Geoge Carlin. Tombstones make nice hazards. Dual purpose use of land.

sedated
06-10-2006, 06:48 PM
well you do have to know"how" to drive,not anyone can go in a circle driving 180 miles and hour into a left turn. That shit takes skill,also to know what adjustments you need to make on the car. Its not just driving in a circle. Its way more complicated thenthat.

I realize car racing takes knowledge and ability, but so does a job, cooking a meal, and pretty much anything else in life.

cooking dinner is not a sport

when you depend on a mechanical foreign object to compete, it is no longer a sport and becomes a game. (just like video games)

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 07:07 PM

If you think whoever has the fastest car wins the race, you couldn't be more wrong. It's whoever drives the best that wins. The car is part of the equipment they use for their sport.

sedated
06-10-2006, 07:10 PM
If you think whoever has the fastest car wins the race, you couldn't be more wrong. It's whoever drives the best that wins. The car is part of the equipment they use for their sport.

have them get out of the car and race on foot, then it'll be a sport.

and the fastest car arguement is valid, depending on which kind of car racing you are talking about.

NASCAR makes a point to have equity in their vehicles, but others do not.

sedated
06-10-2006, 07:12 PM

sitting in a car turning a wheel just doesn't strike me as a sport.

if so, where's my medal for getting to work on time?

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 07:18 PM

and the fastest car arguement is valid, depending on which kind of car racing you are talking about.

NASCAR makes a point to have equity in their vehicles, but others do not.
The fastest car isn't valid in NASCAR in particular, although it certainly doesn't hurt. They also don't make the cars all perfectly equal, they just have specifications they must work within. IROC races have identically set up cars.

I think the main reason many don't consider it a sport is because they know very little about it, or just don't like it. And no one will ever convince me that golf is any more of a sport. It just gets a free pass because it is popular among wealthy people, and NASCAR fans generally fall on the opposite end of the economic spectrum.

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 07:21 PM
sitting in a car turning a wheel just doesn't strike me as a sport.

if so, where's my medal for getting to work on time?
And hitting a little white ball with a club is?

Do you drive 180 mph non-stop to work with no air conditioning, windows up in a firesuit?

sedated
06-10-2006, 07:26 PM

Do you drive 180 mph non-stop to work with no air conditioning, windows up in a firesuit?

so if I play basketball in a firesuit and in a hot gym, it's a more of a sport than in air conditioning?

the environment in which it is done has no impact on the fact that steering a wheel is not a sport.

golf relies your physical skill/ability, not a mechanical device.

I think of golf as more of a game than a sport as well, but it's closer than car racing.

when an arguement like this starts, it's such a slippery slope. because anything can be seen as physical skill or ability.

so, what makes car racing a sport and a car racing video game not a sport?

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 07:43 PM
so if I play basketball in a firesuit and in a hot gym, it's a more of a sport than in air conditioning?
It would certainly require more physical endurance.

the environment in which it is done has no impact on the fact that steering a wheel is not a sport.
There's also the brake & accelerator pedal, car setup and pit strategies.

golf relies your physical skill/ability, not a mechanical device.
I've already addressed this.

I think of golf as more of a game than a sport as well, but it's closer than car racing.
No it's not, they belong in the same category.

when an arguement like this starts, it's such a slippery slope. because anything can be seen as physical skill or ability.
Agreed.

so, what makes car racing a sport and a car racing video game not a sport?
You could die.

tk13
06-10-2006, 07:57 PM

I don't have anything against NASCAR at all, I think the amount of concentration it takes to do that is probably ridiculous. If you screw up once, you're dead... but there's no way you can get on somebody for saying racing is just turning a steering wheel, then make the "just hitting a ball with a club" crack. The best athletes in the world can play golf everyday and still not be very good at it.

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't have anything against NASCAR at all, I think the amount of concentration it takes to do that is probably ridiculous. If you screw up once, you're dead... but there's no way you can get on somebody for saying racing is just turning a steering wheel, then make the "just hitting a ball with a club" crack. The best athletes in the world can play golf everyday and still not be very good at it.
I was responding to his ludicrous statement with an equally ludicrous one.

sedated
06-10-2006, 08:26 PM

and putting a ball through a hoop/goal/over a white line is?

a sport involves physical ability/talent.

and while every task on earth involves physical ability (eating, shitting, f*cking, getting into an internet arguement about car racing), driving a car just doesn't strike me as a sport.

(no matter how hot the inside of the car is :rolleyes: )

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 08:52 PM
and putting a ball through a hoop/goal/over a white line is?

a sport involves physical ability/talent.

and while every task on earth involves physical ability (eating, shitting, f*cking, getting into an internet arguement about car racing), driving a car just doesn't strike me as a sport.

(no matter how hot the inside of the car is :rolleyes: )
Alright, it's obvious I need to attack this from a different direction. My point is, to someone who doesn't know anything about racing it may seem to be just turning a steering wheel. Someone who doesn't know anything about golf may just see it as hitting a little white ball with a club. Someone who doesn't know anything about baseball may just see it as a bunch of guys standing around.

It's a hell of a lot more than just "driving a car".

I guess the bottom line is I don't think golf is a sport, but I don't click on to the golf threads and proclaim that. But everytime someone starts a NASCAR thread, here it comes like clockwork, and it's usually someone who doesn't know anything about it.

KC2004
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM

Found a nice little blog about this:

Sports Law Blog (http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2005/11/is-nascar-sport.html)

Is NASCAR a sport?

Last weekend, at the invitation of one of my clients, I went to the Miami-Homestead Speedway to take in the final NASCAR race of the season. Now, I have done a lot of work for this client, who is heavily involved in auto racing, but I am not exactly a NASCAR fan. In fact, in the past I have been extremely skeptical of NASCAR, often arguing with friends and colleagues that it is not really a "sport."

Well, after the race, I am still not a NASCAR "fan," but my opinion of whether it is a sport has definitely changed.

I have scoured the web for a definition of "sport" and the following is the best one I found (it comes from the Government of British Columbia's Ministry of Economic Development web page of all places):

"Sport is a physical activity involving large muscle groups, requiring strategic methods, physical training and mental preparation and whose outcome is determined, within a rules framework, by skill, not chance. Sport occurs in an organized, structured and competitive environment where a winner is declared."

Using this definition, NASCAR is undoubtedly a sport. Large muscle groups are certainly used and strategy is a bigger part of racing than you might think (the decision to pit or stay on the track can often be the difference between finishing first or 15th). Obviously, physical training and mental preparation are a huge part of auto racing, the outcome is determined within a rules framework (see, for example, the yellow caution flag which helped Ryan Newman beat Greg Biffle in the Busch race last weekend), and I don't think anyone can argue that NASCAR drivers aren't skilled at what they do.

Regardless of the definition (and I am very interested to see what others people come up with), I think it is very tough to make out the case that NASCAR is not a sport. Now, bowling on the other hand . . .

By the way, even though I still am not a NASCAR fan, I was overly impressed by the marketing aspect. Where else do you have fans shelling out $30 for a T-shirt that has Home Depot, Lowe's or DuPont written all over it?

sedated
06-10-2006, 09:44 PM
"Sport is a physical activity involving large muscle groups, requiring strategic methods, physical training and mental preparation and whose outcome is determined, within a rules framework, by skill, not chance. Sport occurs in an organized, structured and competitive environment where a winner is declared."

again, slippery slope when it comes to semantics.

what qualifies as a "large muscle group"? fingers? eyes? heart? brain?

strategic methods? getting to work on time takes strategic methods.

outcome determined by skill where winner is declared? a video game would qualify as a sport, then.

sedated
06-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Alright, it's obvious I need to attack this from a different direction. My point is, to someone who doesn't know anything about racing it may seem to be just turning a steering wheel. Someone who doesn't know anything about golf may just see it as hitting a little white ball with a club. Someone who doesn't know anything about baseball may just see it as a bunch of guys standing around.

It's a hell of a lot more than just "driving a car".

I guess the bottom line is I don't think golf is a sport, but I don't click on to the golf threads and proclaim that. But everytime someone starts a NASCAR thread, here it comes like clockwork, and it's usually someone who doesn't know anything about it.

agree to disagree.

I apologize for attacking your interest. I hate it when ass clowns do that to my royals/jayhawks/poop threads

chiefs4me
06-10-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't know where you get your info...but Dale is certainly not done racing, if he is, somebody needs to inform him...

chiefs4me
06-10-2006, 09:53 PM
I watch NASCAR to fill the void between football season. I tend to favor Kyle Petty...the King was awesome.

Most of my kids friends like the younger ones, but I was just talking about the ending of an era

Dale Gone
Rudd retired
Rusty retired
Martin probably going to retire
Ward Burton Gone

jeesh...how do you fill those shoes?

easy, with these drivers:

Jeff Gordon
kyle Busch
Junior
Jimmie Johnson
Matt Kenseth
and even Tony Stewart

:D

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 09:59 PM
agree to disagree.

I apologize for attacking your interest. I hate it when ass clowns do that to my royals/jayhawks/poop threads
Like you said yourself, it's semantics. I didn't see it as an "attack", but more as an opinion that differs from mine. It just seems as a fan I have to constantly defend it. It gets tiresome.

And if you didn't say it, someone else would have. :)

Bugeater
06-10-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't know where you get your info...but Dale is certainly not done racing, if he is, somebody needs to inform him...
Um, I believe he was referring to Dale Sr.

John_Locke
06-10-2006, 10:41 PM

well he may be racing in heaven...but...he is done on earth

chiefs4me
06-10-2006, 10:46 PM
well he may be racing in heaven...but...he is done on earth

so I was wrong, flog me...you mentioned drivers who are alive, and I also never called him Dale..so.....:shrug:

Nzoner
06-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I started watching NASCAR about a decade ago, and I agree it's sad to see so many of the drivers that I'm familiar with leaving. These are the guys who led NASCAR through an unprecedented period of growth, and I think much of the credit for the increased popularity goes to them. Rusty was definitely one of my favorites, great guy and a great ambassador to the sport.

There's some good young drivers to get excited about though, most of them seem to have the competitive spirit to keep things interesting. It's all good.

If you make it down to get fireworks you and my mrs are going to hit it off instantly.

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-11-2006, 02:04 AM

There are some automobile races that begin with a footrace across the track to jump in their cars.

Then they start driving in a race.

But they are already at work.

When they reach their final destination, they're off for the rest of the day.

Dinny

Abba-Dabba
06-11-2006, 11:48 PM

A persons favorite doesn't always have to be one of the best, does it? I mean hell, you are a fan of the Chiefs. You should be used to liking year in and year out losers.

Far from the worst though. Besides, he knows he will never win a championship, let alone a race anymore. He uses his position to further his charitable causes. He spends hundreds of hours a year giving his time and position helping those less fortunate.

Kyle's charities
http://www.victoryjunction.org/aa_home/index.html
(camp for seriously ill children)
http://www.kylepettycharityride.com/

He also works with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Boy Scouts of America. One thing is for certain, there should be more people like Kyle Petty.

Moooo
06-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Now that Rusty's gone, there's no need to watch. I'll turn my attention to IRL and see what ol Marco Andretti can do. I forsee him switching to NASCAR or F1 if he starts getting real good real fast (which I'm hoping he will).

He could be like his grandpappy, the only person to win an Indy 500, Daytona 500, and the F1 championship.

Moooo

John_Locke
06-19-2006, 10:17 PM

he is 33rd in standings right now...

Halfcan
06-19-2006, 11:14 PM
nope

OldTownChief
06-20-2006, 05:19 AM
Petty races on his name only. Sucks big time as a driver. I'm suprised they let him trash so many cars.