PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go Again: Hurricane warning issued for Florida

Donger
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/06/12/tropical.weather.ap/index.html

AMPA, Florida (AP) -- Forecasters issued a hurricane warning for parts of Florida's Gulf Coast on Monday as the first named storm of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season quickly gained strength in the Gulf of Mexico.

The warning from Longboat Key near Sarasota to the Ochlockonee River south of Tallahassee means Tropical Storm Alberto was expected to produce hurricane conditions within the next 24 hours.

A tropical storm warning remains in effect for Longboat Key to Englewood. (Projected path)

At 11 a.m., Alberto's winds had increased to 70 mph, up from 50 mph just three hours earlier. The storm was centered about 190 miles south-southwest of Apalachicola and was moving north-northeast at about 7 mph, National Hurricane Center forecasters said.

The storm's sustained winds would have to hit 74 mph to make it a hurricane.(Web site taking bets on deadliness of hurricanes -- 2:28)

Alberto's core wasn't expected to reach Florida until Tuesday, but with tropical storm-force wind stretching 230 miles from the center, powerful gusts may be felt long before it makes landfall.

The storm's outer bands brought rain on the state Sunday, and forecasters warned that tornadoes were possible in west-central and northwestern Florida Monday night.

Heavy rain from Alberto drenched Havana, Cuba, and Pinar del Rio province to the west throughout the weekend, causing some minor street flooding. The official Prensa Latina news agency reported Monday a handful of old buildings around Havana crumbled in the heavy rains, a common occurrence during even the weakest storms, but there were no immediate reports of other major damage or injuries.

In Florida, 4 to 10 inches of rain could fall on the peninsula through Tuesday, forecasters said.

The prospect of a rain -- as long as it didn't come with hurricane-force wind -- was welcomed by firefighters who have been battling wildfires for six weeks on Florida's Atlantic coast.

"A good soaking rain would do a lot to help stop the fires in our area," said Pat Kuehn, a spokeswoman for Volusia County Fire Services. "It has been a hard fire season. We've had several fires a week here." (Watch people in Florida keep an eye on storm -- 1:30)

The tropical depression that produced Alberto formed Saturday, nine days after the official start of the hurricane season, in the northwest Caribbean, which can produce typically weak storms that follow a similar track this time of year, forecasters said. It became a named storm when its sustained winds reached 39 mph.

Scientists say the 2006 season could produce as many as 16 named storms, six of them major hurricanes.

Last year's hurricane season was the most destructive on record. Hurricane Katrina devastated Louisiana and Mississippi and was blamed for more than 1,570 deaths among Louisiana residents alone.

It also was the busiest in 154 years of storm tracking, with a records 28 named storms and a record 15 hurricanes. Meteorologists used up their list of 21 proper names -- beginning with Arlene and ending with Wilma -- and had to use the Greek alphabet to name storms for the first time.

The first named storm of 2005 was Tropical Storm Arlene, which formed June 9 and made landfall just west of Pensacola in the Florida Panhandle.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Yep. I'm in the hurricane warning area. Not a big deal, it'll most likely be a cat. 1 or a strong tropical storm. Lots of rain.

However, maybe no work tomorrow ;)

chagrin
06-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Yep. I'm in the hurricane warning area. Not a big deal, it'll most likely be a cat. 1 or a strong tropical storm. Lots of rain.

Hey dude, me too. I am of the understanding that thie will be a "rain event" for us, and wind but not anything major, or even "mid-major". Where are you located btw?

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
There's already a giant oak down around here!!!

Stock up for the season early so you can avoid the rush.

Hope you haven't repaired everything from the past two years...makes no sense to me. Just leave it the way it is....except for clean up and dangerous things.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM

Where are you at?

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Hey dude, me too. I am of the understanding that thie will be a "rain event" for us, and wind but not anything major, or even "mid-major". Where are you located btw?

Live in south Florida (pembroke pines), school in gainesville, and working this summer in Clearwater/Tampa area. I'm not concerned about cat. 1 winds. But there should be a ton of rain and we're under a tornado watch until 5pm.

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Live in south Florida (pembroke pines), school in gainesville, and working this summer in Clearwater/Tampa area. I'm not concerned about cat. 1 winds. But there should be a ton of rain and we're under a tornado watch until 5pm.
We are?

I hate those things more than hurricanes....'cause we have no basements. :(

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM

I used to run the big health club there on Gulf to Bay in Clearwater. I liked living there if it wasn't for the cops. I knew a bunch that worked out in the club too. Is their legal system still like a 3rd world country there?

Donger
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
We are?

I hate those things more than hurricanes....'cause we have no basements. :(

Tornado watches are pretty much standard during any hurricane. There's not much shear with this one, though.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I used to run the big health club there on Gulf to Bay in Clearwater. I liked living there if it wasn't for the cops. I knew a bunch that worked out in the club too. Is their legal system still like a 3rd world country there?

I know right where that is. Not sure about the legal system, I haven't had to deal with them ;)

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Tornado watches are pretty much standard during any hurricane. There's not much shear with this one, though.

Yes, I know. I just hadn't heard any warnings....seems pretty mild out there so far. I've even been driving around and plan to hit the mall.

Still, I hate those things. I hate havin' to hide in my little girl's bedroom for hours with all my junk in there.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I know right where that is. Not sure about the legal system, I haven't had to deal with them ;)

That was a cool club. I used to throw kegers there once a month. It had some series talent. It was like the coolest job in the world when your 21-23 which is when I ran it. American Fitness owned it back then. Who owns it now?

The 5 years I lived there we only had 1 hurricane threat and it went north. People were talking about getting out early because the water would rise and cover the causeway.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 10:17 AM
That was a cool club. I used to throw kegers there once a month. It had some series talent. It was like the coolest job in the world when your 21-23 which is when I ran it. American Fitness owned it back then. Who owns it now?

The 5 years I lived there we only had 1 hurricane threat and it went north. People were talking about getting out early because the water would rise and cover the causeway.

I think it may be tbt health and fitness or florida health and fitness.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 10:34 AM

They used to have a bunch of bars out there called the Rock and Crowns. On any given night you had several cop cars across the street ready to pull people over that came out of the bar. One of my buddies took a bike out of his pickup and rode that home and they gave him DUI on a bicyle and kicked his ass. If you go to any bars out there you get to know the cab companies there intimately. At least that's the way it used to be. The cops were so bad at Clearwater beach that when my dad visited he couldn't believe people would pay to vacation there. It was like police harrassment 101.

A guy that worked for me lost both his parents in an airplane accident when he was 17. Within two weeks he turned 18 so the state let him raise his brother who was 15. When he was 19 their house got broken into so he called the cops. When they were examining the window they broke in the cop noticed some pot seeds in the carpet in the groove next to the wall. They came back later and arrested him and placed his brother in foster care. It was the coldest thing I have ever seen. I could go on and on. It must be better there now or you would notice.

BTW do they still have the The Red Eye Rock and Roll bar out there?

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I think it may be tbt health and fitness or florida health and fitness.

The industry was really fun back then. I was their youngest GM and had the biggest club. I made great money and could do unlimited trade outs. I had a ton of free booze, food and limo service. I lived in hotel suite's on trade most of the time as well. YOu could also go out with staff if you wanted to. I thought I had the world by the balls back then. If you ever get a chance you should pay a guest fee this summer and go in there. If the talent level is anything closed to what it used to be you won't be disappointed.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 10:43 AM
They used to have a bunch of bars out there called the Rock and Crowns. On any given night you had several cop cars across the street ready to pull people over that came out of the bar. One of my buddies took a bike out of his pickup and rode that home and they gave him DUI on a bicyle and kicked his ass. If you go to any bars out there you get to know the cab companies there intimately. At least that's the way it used to be. The cops were so bad at Clearwater beach that when my dad visited he couldn't believe people would pay to vacation there. It was like police harrassment 101.

A guy that worked for me lost both his parents in an airplane accident when he was 17. Within two weeks he turned 18 so the state let him raise his brother who was 15. When he was 19 their house got broken into so he called the cops. When they were examining the window they broke in the cop noticed some pot seeds in the carpet in the groove next to the wall. They came back later and arrested him and placed his brother in foster care. It was the coldest thing I have ever seen. I could go on and on. It must be better there now or you would notice.

BTW do they still have the The Red Eye Rock and Roll bar out there?

A week ago we went out to shepherds on clearwater beach. This weekend we went to channelside. Not a problem at either place, so things must have changed.

Nto sure about the red eye.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
The industry was really fun back then. I was their youngest GM and had the biggest club. I made great money and could do unlimited trade outs. I had a ton of free booze, food and limo service. I lived in hotel suite's on trade most of the time as well. YOu could also go out with staff if you wanted to. I thought I had the world by the balls back then. If you ever get a chance you should pay a guest fee this summer and go in there. If the talent level is anything closed to what it used to be you won't be disappointed.

The hotel they've put us up at has a free membership to a bally's across the street. While it's not great, it's adequate. Some big guys in there.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 11:00 AM
A week ago we went out to shepherds on clearwater beach. This weekend we went to channelside. Not a problem at either place, so things must have changed.

Nto sure about the red eye.

They probably closed it do to too many fights. I loved that place. There was a fight there every time I ever went. The last one was at closing. Some guy wanted to show a group his tattoo. He had an eye on each cheek of his ass. He pulled down his pants to show them and some guy went to pretend he was ****ing him in the ass. The guy turned around all pissed and it was on. It was a great fight too they beat the crap out of each other. I turned to my buddy after the fight and said "god you gotta love this place" Of course the cops were never there because they didn't want to get hurt breaking up big bar fights they just wanted easy DUI's. I hated the cops there. The Madeira Beach police cuffed me one time late at night with no witnesses and just started beating the crap out of me when I was only 18. That one incident probably skewed my opinion of cops for the rest of my life.

Frazod
06-12-2006, 11:05 AM
My cousin just moved down there last month. Tried to talk her out of it, to no avail. She wants an ocean view.

When the ocean's in her f#cking attic, I wonder what she'll think. :shake:

Brock
06-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Some guy wanted to show a group his tattoo. He had an eye on each cheek of his ass. He pulled down his pants to show them and some guy went to pretend he was ****ing him in the ass.

Gay bar?

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Gay bar?

ROFL No it was a very rough bar though. You probably would of got hit just for saying that. ROFL

chagrin
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Gay bar?

Wonder if Mark Cuban was there...?

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Gay bar?

On a seperate note there are a lot of butt pirates in that area. I got sick of their BS too especially running a health club.

BigMeatballDave
06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Jeez. Why do people still live in Florida?

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 11:26 AM

great beaches, no winter, beautiful ladies, lots of culture and entertainment

Donger
06-12-2006, 11:28 AM

To be fair, they say the same thing about people who live in Tornado Alley.

Brock
06-12-2006, 11:29 AM
great beaches, no winter, beautiful ladies, lots of culture and entertainment

Plus it gets rebuilt every several years on the government dime.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Plus it gets rebuilt every several years on the government dime.

And there is no state tax.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 11:31 AM
To be fair, they say the same thing about people who live in Tornado Alley.

and not just because of the threat of tornadoes

BigMeatballDave
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
great beaches, no winter, beautiful ladies, lots of culture and entertainmentI'd much rather deal with winter than have to deal with my house being obliterated by a hurricane.

BigMeatballDave
06-12-2006, 12:25 PM
To be fair, they say the same thing about people who live in Tornado Alley.True, but tornadoes are hit and miss...

BigMeatballDave
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
And there is no state tax.There is no tax on food in Ohio...
:thumb: :p

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd much rather deal with winter than have to deal with my house being obliterated by a hurricane.

Other than the cops, old drivers who will kill you and the hurricanes it is great place. I still love the mountains and the beach though. Winters in Floriduh rock. The weather is awesome.

BIG_DADDY
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM
There is no tax on food in Ohio...
:thumb: :p
You have any idea how many people from Ohio move to Florida? TONS

They don't move back either which should tell you something. ROFL

I will say one thing about people from Ohio. I have never seen people drink so much in my entire life.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 12:39 PM
I'd much rather deal with winter than have to deal with my house being obliterated by a hurricane.

I've lived in Florida for 19 years and have been through many storms without having my house obliterated. You have to prepare, take precautions, and be lucky. With the exception of Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern Cal there isn't anywhere in the US I'd really want to live.

DaKCMan AP
06-12-2006, 12:42 PM
You have any idea how many people from Ohio move to Florida? TONS

They don't move back either which should tell you something. ROFL

I will say one thing about people from Ohio. I have never seen people drink so much in my entire life.

We just had 2 interns from last summer arrive from ohio last night. One of them will be starting full time in July. Both can drink pretty well and they're both pretty good at poker. Heh.

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Take cover Tornado warning right now! NW Tampa on the coast.

chagrin
06-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Nothing going on here in Orlando, I really didn't expect anything though. Just watching Hell's Kitchen

Brock
06-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Nothing going on here in Orlando, I really didn't expect anything though. Just watching Hell's Kitchen

Take cover, damn you!!

chagrin
06-12-2006, 08:10 PM
Take cover, damn you!!

LMAO!!
I deleted my original post and took the high road on that one, now I am regretting it - Thanks for "keepin' it real" dude

OldTownChief
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I always get a kick out of all the network nutbags trying to impress us by standing in the rain.

BucEyedPea
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Well it passed! Said tornado was picked up in Clearwater heading north...tv warnings came on. Now they're saying Alberto will be a Cat 1 in four hours.