PDA

View Full Version : Remember that guy who tried to parachute onto the St. Louis arch and died?

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 04:32 PM
That was pretty wild, wasn't it?

(I don't know why that story popped into my head.)

JBucc
06-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah I don't remember that at all. How did he plan on getting down exactly?

ChiefsFire
06-12-2006, 04:34 PM
onto or from the The Arch?

either way I wonder if he was wearing a helmet....

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't think he planned that far ahead. I just remember that he made the landing successfully, but then discovered to his dismay that the arch is both slick and slanty. He then rode the slide of every playground's dreams.

Donger
06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah I don't remember that at all. How did he plan on getting down exactly?

Gravity.

Fish
06-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think he planned that far ahead. I just remember that he made the landing successfully, but then discovered to his dismay that the arch is both slick and slanty. He then rode the slide of every playground's dreams.

Giant slipper slide of Death you say?? Do I have to sign a waiver?

Donger
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
onto or from the The Arch?

either way I wonder if he was wearing a helmet....

Onto. He landed successfully, but then the wind caught his chute.

Rain Man
06-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Here's a reference to it. Apparently it didn't earn him a lot of fame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway_Arch

Stunts
In 1980 Kenneth Swyers tried to parachute onto the span of the Gateway Arch, planning to jump back off to land on the ground below. Instead, he slid all the way down one leg. His not-so-unexpected demise earned him a Darwin Award.

No fewer than eleven light aircraft have been successfully piloted beneath the arch, the first on June 22, 1966, when the arch had been completed for less than a year.[1]

In 1984, David Adcock of Houston, Texas, began to scale the arch by means of suction cups on his hands and feet, but he was talked out of continuing after having climbed only 20 feet. The next day he successfully scaled the 21-story Equitable Building in downtown St. Louis.

Donger
06-12-2006, 04:43 PM
Instead, he slid all the way down one leg.

Sigh. Yet another person that would be alive today if they'd only watched more cartoons as a child.

TinyEvel
06-12-2006, 04:46 PM
What about "Fan Man" who crashed the boxing match in Vegas and got trounced by all the ringside thugs?