PDA

View Full Version : Speculation on Roethlisberger recovery

ct
06-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Apologies if repost.

I receive a FF newsletter, and they asked a couple Dr's their opinion on Big Ben, with what info has been released.

Dr. Jene Bramel, M.D. is a Staff regular and has experience in Urgent Care. Dr. Algie LaBrasca, M.D. is a surgeon with connections to Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh.

It's important to stress that neither doctor has first hand information of Roethlisberger's medical file and situation. They are physicians who deal with this type of stuff everyday and I've simply asked them their opinion based on what they know and are seeing. Here's what they told me.

Said Dr. Bramel, "While it still may be early to speculate on the nature and extent of his injuries, Roethlisberger suffered a head injury, multiple facial fractures (jaw, nose, sinus), lacerations, and knee injuries in his accident.

At last report, the knee injuries do not appear to be structural, but he required seven hours of surgery to stabilize multiple facial fractures.

Early reports suggested that Roethlisberger was dazed and disoriented at the scene, but was showing signs of recovery before he was taken to surgery.

Though reassuring that Roethlisberger may have sustained only a moderate-to-severe concussion in the accident, patients who sustain serious blunt force head trauma can have delayed symptoms that may become life-threatening.

Roethlisberger will surely be monitored closely for any deterioration over the next hours to days. It may be some time before we learn what impact the head injury may have on his preparation for 2006.

Roethlisberger also suffered multiple facial fractures in the accident that were serious enough to require immediate evaluation and repair by a plastic surgeon. Nasal fractures, especially those associated with sinus fractures, can be significant enough to require fixation with titanium plates. Certain sinus and facial fractures are sometimes associated with injuries to the eye socket as well. It is also likely that Roethlisberger also needed wire fixation for jaw fractures.

Recovery from facial injuries like these is injury-dependent, but you can reasonably expect wire fixation of jaw fractures to last between 6-8 weeks. Fixation of other facial fractures would be permanent. Roethlisberger will likely be restricted from contact for some time after that, putting his return in late August at the earliest. If Roethlisberger's concussion proves to be only moderate and his recovery from his facial injuries goes smoothly, it is conceivable that he could be under center on opening weekend. But the length of his surgery is worrisome for facial injuries severe enough to restrict him from contract for an extended period of time. All bets may also be off if it is learned that his knee injuries are more than road rash."

Dr. LaBrasca had this for us Monday night while Roethlisberger was still in surgery: "Some of the positive things include that all ligaments in both knees are intact.

Unfortunately, there are more negatives than positives. He has lost a lot of blood, and was still in surgery well past 7 PM EST. He suffered many facial fractures, and three trauma surgeons, the head plastic surgeon and the head ENT surgeon are currently figuring out what they are going to do.

There is a significant amount of facial edema (swelling), which makes it difficult to assess the full extent of the injuries.

To me, this could possibly mean multiple surgeries over the next few days up to a week or more. They will place multiple plates and screws in his face to align his upper and lower teeth (or what's left of them).

What does all of this mean to his season? To me, it means that at the very least, he will have his jaw wired shut for 6-8 weeks, and this will cause him to lose weight, strength, and muscle. More importantly, his surgeons will want no contact to his face for several months - possibly somewhere between 3-6 depending on the actual extent of his injuries. This part is speculation by me at this point, but it's based on experience with facial fractures and trying to figure out the extent of his injuries."

Again, I'll stress that this is speculation on the part of both these physicians. But it's speculation coming from people who are intimately familiar with the processes and understand the nuances that are sometimes unseen by the public. I thought you guys might enjoy an expert medical opinion as opposed to the talking heads for a change. Obviously, we'll have more on this in the coming days and weeks.

Just speculation, but at least the sources are physicians and not media bobbin heads...

Lzen
06-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Looks like Big Ben likely won't be playing football this season.

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2006, 08:03 AM
A moment of silence...

And.... :clap:

chief52
06-13-2006, 08:04 AM
This little accident could cost Big Ben millions...if he sits out he does not collect a pay check and owes a pro rated return on his signing bonus. Huge bucks...

ChiefsfaninPA
06-13-2006, 08:05 AM
No matter how you flip this coin, the Burg is screwed. Big Ben may miss a lot of time and even if he doesn't, he will more than likely be playing with pain and playing it safe as far as taking a hit. This is pure speculation on my part, but the dude has major facial trauma.

ct
06-13-2006, 08:05 AM

We'll see. I thought this was an interesting take about his facial fractures, something I hadn't considered. A broken jaw isn't an unheard of injury, even on the field. Guys have come back fairly soon with that. But multiple facial fractures with plates and screws in his skull, hmmm...

An 8-year old son of a guy a work with suffered facial fractures in a go-cart accident. A lot of swelling behind his skull led to meningitus, and the kid lost his hearing. Nothing to mess with for sure.

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2006, 08:06 AM
Obviously bad for him... retards that ride without helmets have it coming if they insist on riding, though.

With that said, from a football standpoint, I'm glad. Not only does it make them weaker and they're in the AFC, but I'm getting tired of Roethlisberger... he was being treated like the second-coming.

StcChief
06-13-2006, 08:07 AM

No serious knee ligiment injury,he is luck.

Yeah. so Charlie Batch to the rescue.

Where is Maddox now?

Chiefnj
06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Broken jaws aren't entirely unusual in the NFL, but it is usually the lower jaw that is broken, not the upper jaw which on Ben has apparently been dislocated from the skull - ouch.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
I hear the burgh is on suicide watch.

ct
06-13-2006, 08:09 AM
No serious knee ligiment injury,he is luck.

Yeah. so Charlie Batch to the rescue.

Where is Maddox now?

Get this, from RotoWorld:

Tommy Maddox - QB - Steelers

Tommy Maddox's agent called the Steelers early Monday afternoon to let them know he's available.
That's like hitting on a widow at a funeral. Give it a day Tommy! The Steelers have Charlie Batch ready to run the team while Ben Roethlisberger recovers and fifth-round pick Omar Jacobs is a lock to make the roster. Jun. 12 - 7:32 pm et

Maybe they'd be interested in Casey Printers?

Frazod
06-13-2006, 08:12 AM
I hear the burgh is on suicide watch.

Apparently karma extracts a heavy toll.

Eleazar
06-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Rumor has it that one of Roethlisberger's doctors was a member of the officiating crew in the last super bowl, and denied that Roethlisberger was injured in any way.

Frazod
06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Rumor has it that one of Roethlisberger's doctors was a member of the officiating crew in the last super bowl, and denied that Roethlisberger was injured in any way.

And Seattle was assessed a 15-yard penalty for the accident. :D

Eleazar
06-13-2006, 08:19 AM
And Seattle was assessed a 15-yard penalty for the accident. :D

hahaaha!

Nice finishing move. ROFL

Nzoner
06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Though reassuring that Roethlisberger may have sustained only a moderate-to-severe concussion in the accident, patients who sustain serious blunt force head trauma can have delayed symptoms that may become life-threatening.

A buddy of mine fell off the back of his truck and landed on his head last January.After numerous tests the doctors are not finding anything but he still has days where he feels like crap and the pain in his head is so bad he has to miss work.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-13-2006, 08:22 AM
A buddy of mine fell off the back of his truck and landed on his head last January.After numerous tests the doctors are not finding anything but he still has days where he feels like crap and the pain in his head is so bad he has to miss work.

No doubt about it, he will never be the same again.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM

Is this the guy?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/SteelersZebra.jpg

chief52
06-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Is this the guy?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/SteelersZebra.jpg

Now that is awsome. I am sure that would be real popular in Seattle :clap:

Inspector
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Wow....good luck Ben.

Despite the football stuff, I hate seeing a young person, or really anyone, go through something like this.

Hope he can recover.

chief52
06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Wow....good luck Ben.

Despite the football stuff, I hate seeing a young person, or really anyone, go through something like this.

Hope he can recover.

No Sh@t. Can you imagine how much pain he will be in? I do not like going to the dentist...can not imagine how all this would feel.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2006, 08:48 AM
I just want to see his face. I bet it's f*cked up.

Frazod
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Now that is awsome. I am sure that would be real popular in Seattle :clap:

I like this one better:

Frazod
06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I just want to see his face. I bet it's f*cked up.
Safe bet his head is swelled up at least twice its normal size. It'll be a while before he looks human again.

chief52
06-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I like this one better:

I gotta agree with you. That one is even better! I have never seen those. Funny stuff. Gotta a buddy who is a big Steeler fan . Can not wait to send it to him!

Moooo
06-13-2006, 08:52 AM
No Sh@t. Can you imagine how much pain he will be in? I do not like going to the dentist...can not imagine how all this would feel.

Here's an angle... You think he's gonna go Brett Favre and get hooked on the inevitable pain meds?

Moooo

King_Chief_Fan
06-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Get this, from RotoWorld:

Tommy Maddox - QB - Steelers

Tommy Maddox's agent called the Steelers early Monday afternoon to let them know he's available.
That's like hitting on a widow at a funeral. Give it a day Tommy! The Steelers have Charlie Batch ready to run the team while Ben Roethlisberger recovers and fifth-round pick Omar Jacobs is a lock to make the roster. Jun. 12 - 7:32 pm et

Maybe they'd be interested in Casey Printers?

taking an opportunity at a time like this is somewhat tasteless. But, if we are going to offer anything.....I say give them Huard. We may have to offer other concessions to get rid of him, but it will be worth it.

ck_IN
06-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Question: I've not broken anything facial so I'm wondering exactly how solidly it heals. In other words is his head going to be so much glass in that helmet waiting for the bull (lb/de/safety) to blitz into the china shop?

ct
06-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Question: I've not broken anything facial so I'm wondering exactly how solidly it heals. In other words is his head going to be so much glass in that helmet waiting for the bull (lb/de/safety) to blitz into the china shop?

Seems like that's exactly the point the 2nd Dr was making. Getting the fractures to heal may be 6-8 weeks like the jaw, but protecting his huge melon from rushing defenders is quite another deal entirely!

Otter
06-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Obviously bad for him... retards that ride without helmets have it coming if they insist on riding, though.

With that said, from a football standpoint, I'm glad. Not only does it make them weaker and they're in the AFC, but I'm getting tired of Roethlisberger... he was being treated like the second-coming.

You're a classy guy.

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2006, 09:35 AM
You're a classy guy.
I admit -- it's not very classy, but let's be real. It's not like people that hate the Steelers aren't all PBJing around. I feel bad for the dude -- it's going to be a rough, PAINFUL road. However -- he knows the risks of riding without a helmet and continually made that choice. Last year (or two years, can't remember) he was specifically asked about his actions in regards to the Kellen Winslow Jr. events and he flat-out said he was going to continue to ride without a helmet.

Every time you get on a motorcycle you know you are taking a risk. He's an idiot to not put that helmet on. There's no other word for it.

Stinger
06-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Shanahan is now kicking himself for causing such a stink about the Broncos not wanting to open up the season in Pittsburg?

ROFL ROFL

jidar
06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Somebody should ask Jesse James what he thinks of all of this.

http://www.maximumeyewear.com/productfolder/motorcycle-glasses/motorcycle-glasses/jessie-james-sunglasses/jessie-james-glasses.jpg

Iowanian
06-13-2006, 09:53 AM
AP 6/13/06

Doctors have released photos of Ben Roethisberger's prospect
of recovery, and have begun to try to fit him with a walking helmet to
protect the injuries to his cranium.

Kerberos
06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
I admit -- it's not very classy, but let's be real. It's not like people that hate the Steelers aren't all PBJing around. I feel bad for the dude -- it's going to be a rough, PAINFUL road. However -- he knows the risks of riding without a helmet and continually made that choice. Last year (or two years, can't remember) he was specifically asked about his actions in regards to the Kellen Winslow Jr. events and he flat-out said he was going to continue to ride without a helmet.

Every time you get on a motorcycle you know you are taking a risk. He's an idiot to not put that helmet on. There's no other word for it.

Yup

Classy or not Toothlessburger did this to himself, the chick may have been at fault for the accident, but she didn't keep him from wearing a helmet. He would have had a mild concussion (maybe) and some scrapped up knees but he would have been ready for training camp without a doubt.

I guess if I made $millions$ to play football I would have a different outlook on how to conduct myself on danger issues like "To wear or NOT to wear a helmet riding a motorcycle" :rolleyes:

Hope to god he learns that hard lesson?

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
AP 6/13/06

And they accuse me of being classless.

:clap: for taking the focus off of me.

Nzoner
06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
AP 6/13/06

That is so wrong.......

but so funny.

stevieray
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
AP 6/13/06

Brutal!

Chiefs Pantalones
06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Next time wear a helmet, dumbass.

<div align="center"><div align="center"><object id="MediaPlayer" width="400" height="400" classid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" standby="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject"><param name="Enabled" Value="true"><param name="Filename" Value="http://www.govideocodes.com/videocode/id/2766"><param name="ShowControls" value="true"><param name="ShowStatusBar" value="true"><param name="ShowDisplay" value="false"><param name="AutoStart" value="true"><param name="ClickToPlay" value="false"><param name="enableContextMenu" value="false"><param name="VideoBorder3D" value="true"><param name="stretchToFit" value="true"><embed type="application/x-mplayer2" src="http://www.govideocodes.com/videocode/id/2766" name="MediaPlayer" width="400" height="400" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="1" stretchToFit="true" enableContextMenu="false"></EMBED></object></div><a href="http://www.govideocodes.com/">(Click Here) Free Music Videos Provided by GOVideoCodes.com!</a>

58-4ever
06-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I doubt they be calling that suck-ass Maddox anytime soon. They drafted a promising young quarterback in Omar Jacobs.

Big Dick Jones
06-13-2006, 10:51 AM
With all that has been written about this, I haven't seen anything about possible brain damage. For all we know he may now be as stupid as Terry Bradshaw.

StcChief
06-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I doubt they be calling that suck-ass Maddox anytime soon. They drafted a promising young quarterback in Omar Jacobs.There is ex-Detriot Lion QB Charlie Batch as backup on their roster.

Frazod
06-13-2006, 11:13 AM
AP 6/13/06

When I was in the Navy, one of my friends got drunk one night while he was alone and started mouthing off to some locals (we were in Spain somewhere). They beat the crap out of him with pipes, and for a couple of days he looked fairly similar to that picture. And his injuries were a cake walk compared to what happened to Ben.

BigMeatballDave
06-13-2006, 11:19 AM
AP 6/13/06

ROFL You should find a Steelers BB to post this on. Just say you're a Ravens fan...

greg63
06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Next time wear a helmet, dumbass.

(Click Here) Free Music Videos Provided by GOVideoCodes.com! (http://www.govideocodes.com/)

It's a beautiful think when two artists meet. :p

tk13
06-13-2006, 12:26 PM
AP 6/13/06

Haha, that's horrible. Not any worse than the Bengal fans though. I went and read their board yesterday and they were almost loving it, but I guess the Steeler trolls we all know and love gave them a lot of flack when they took Carson Palmer out... they considered it karma.

I think it could be a while before he plays, I can't believe people are saying he'll be back for training camp. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.... I think it's possible that maybe he'll be healed up somewhat by that time. But I can't imagine doctors would allow physical contact to his face considering all the surgery and head injuries... I guess it is three months, but still.