PDA

View Full Version : DLink DI-524 Wireless Router problem

Lzen
06-13-2006, 07:55 AM
I bought a DLink DI-524 wireless router back in February. It worked fine for several months. Then, about a month or so ago, it started locking up. At first, it did it about once or twice a week. However, the lockups got more frequent as time passed by. Lately, it had been doing it several times a day. I went through all the trouble shooting suggestions from their website and none of them did anything to improve the situation.

So, I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar issues with this router. Or am I just cursed to have eternal issues with routers?

I talked to DLink's tech support on Sunday. That was after I had tried everything and was down to one option, a hard reset. Well, the hard reset seemed to flub up things. Instead of just resetting to factory default, it brought up a screen that asked for the firmware. So, I located the firmware on my hard drive and clicked ok. It just locked up again. From there on out, it would always just come up to that firmware screen when I powered off for a minute or two and then back on.

So, to make a long story......well......end. DLink's tech support finally gave up and decided that my router was defective. So, they'll be sending me a replacement.

SLAG
06-13-2006, 12:26 PM
either defective unit or bad firmware i would try and update the firmware again with known good firmware or the backup you should have made before the upgrade
:)

Lzen
06-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Have tried upgrading the firmware several times. After the hard reset, it wouldn't accept the firmware. Unit must be defective.

DaFace
06-13-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't work with D-Link routers much, but I've seen a couple Netgears and a couple Linksys routers that have similar problems. One Linksys would work perfectly for a day or two, but would just stop transmitting data. If you just power cycled it, it would work again. We ended up just replacing it, and the problem has never returned.

Lzen
06-14-2006, 07:34 AM
I hope that works for me when I get the replacement. I'm sick of router issues.

SLAG
06-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I hope that works for me when I get the replacement. I'm sick of router issues.

I have the DI-524 and I have not had anyproblems... I have dropped it many times and it still works great-

its really easy to open ports in the firewall...

anyway hope it works out for you

06-14-2006, 10:30 PM
I have the DI-524 and I have not had anyproblems... I have dropped it many times and it still works great-

The DI-524 has worked perfectly for me for the past year.

Lzen
06-15-2006, 08:54 AM

I must've gotten a factory defect. Mine has never been dropped or even bumped. It just started screwing up one day for no apparent reason. I do like how I can open ports and whatnot. The DMZ feature is uselss, though. However, my Xterasys router's DMZ feature doesn't seem to work, either. Do these idiots that make the things ever bother to test that feature by playing games(namely console systems) through the DMZ?