PDA

View Full Version : US Government bureaucracy....

Logical
06-14-2006, 03:49 AM
please tell me what you believe its pupose is:

1. To serve the people

2. To control the people

3. To sustain itself and expand

4. Other

If you can also provide some examples of how the government bureaucrats have either helped or hindered you.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-14-2006, 06:08 AM
All of the above.:D

Saulbadguy
06-14-2006, 06:10 AM
To IRRITATE the people.

4th and Long
06-14-2006, 06:28 AM
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9357/dc4zr.jpg

chagrin
06-14-2006, 06:31 AM
So you will have something to get you through your miserable days

ChiefsfaninPA
06-14-2006, 08:13 AM

This dude needs a serious toothbrushing. I hope one of his many virgins have done that for him already.

BucEyedPea
06-14-2006, 08:26 AM
To IRRITATE the people.
:thumb:

Stories
1) Ever play the pass the phone call along endlessly..."it's not my job!"

2) Well, now lemme see, I fell behind in paying Sales& Use Tax once due to a particularly difficult business period. There was an amnesty which I never knew about. So I walk in with all the money, once I come out of my situation, and offer to pay all of it up and am completely honest with them. I miss the amnesty by one day. Well, they got mad at me, because I didn't know of the amnesty and penalized me heavily for years. The putzes. I paid it all though all the penalties and interest too.

You'da think they'd be happy they had someone honest enough to own up, admit and take responsibilty, NOPE their job is sustaining themselves with their own sense of power and purpose while irrating the hell out of the rest of us. They prolly get a raise for busting people.

Logical
06-14-2006, 08:49 AM

Your and idiot

Nothing the least bit politcal about this thread. Matter of fact the bureaucrats are about the only non-political entities in Washington.

Fish
06-14-2006, 09:07 AM
US Guhbment Priority List:

1. Make the people and corporations that are really in charge of the country as rich as possible.

2. Control the people by whatever means necessary(fear, guilt, information manipulation, force if needed) while providing just enough to create the illusion of "serving the people".

3. Expand and outreach in all directions as much as possible. Try to make all other countries and peoples conform to our ideals.

4. Take responsibility only when it supports our views. In all other situations, deny involvement or point blame elsewhere.

FAX
06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
ze pipples are like ze ships of ze field. ze ships needs ze leader. ze leaders leads the pipples. ze pipples love ze leader. but zen, when ze pipples tire of ze leader, ze pipples kill ze leader. in zis way, ze pipples are not like ze ships.

FAX

4th and Long
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Your and idiot

Nothing the least bit politcal about this thread. Matter of fact the bureaucrats are about the only non-political entities in Washington.
Excuse you?

Bureaucrats are part of the POLITICAL system.

POLITICS = DC Forum.

:)

Baby Lee
06-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Matter of fact the bureaucrats are about the only non-political entities in Washington.
Yeah, when your economic security depends entirely on the funding decisions of the government it's a sure recipe for remaining apolitical.

JBucc
06-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Theyr'e like a wild animal, give them just a little doggy kibble because you feel sorry for them, and next thing you know they're in your dormroom drinking your beer and watching Dr. Phil.

Logical
06-14-2006, 11:06 AM
US Guhbment Priority List:

1. Make the people and corporations that are really in charge of the country as rich as possible.

2. Control the people by whatever means necessary(fear, guilt, information manipulation, force if needed) while providing just enough to create the illusion of "serving the people".

3. Expand and outreach in all directions as much as possible. Try to make all other countries and peoples conform to our ideals.

4. Take responsibility only when it supports our views. In all other situations, deny involvement or point blame elsewhere.

Pretty good assessment.

Logical
06-14-2006, 11:08 AM
Excuse you?

Bureaucrats are part of the POLITICAL system.

POLITICS = DC Forum.

:)The bureaucrats stay no matter which party is in power and do everything they can to avoid offending either party as their jobs can depend on it. Most of them are lifers in government service.

Simplex3
06-14-2006, 11:30 AM
It's #2 and #3, but the reason is greed and a hunger for power. With the amount of money and mud-slinging in politics today only the truly power hungry and sick even run for political office. It's sad, really.

jspchief
06-14-2006, 11:36 AM
I think it's just a matter of being a system that is so broken it can't be fixed, and it just keeps expanding upon itself. I don't think the government bureaucracy is intentional.

greg63
06-14-2006, 11:37 AM
It's #2 and #3, but the reason is greed and a hunger for power. With the amount of money and mud-slinging in politics today only the truly power hungry and sick even run for political office. It's sad, really.

Ditto!

No poll?

I tried to start a small home business, but just when I get up and running the State Kansas changes it's sales tax code, in an attempt to get even more taxes, and made it virtually impossible to operate my business.

Simplex3
06-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I think it's just a matter of being a system that is so broken it can't be fixed, and it just keeps expanding upon itself. I don't think the government bureaucracy is intentional.
It's run by the power hungry and staffed by the apathetic. That's a bad, bad combination.

Oddly enough, John Stossel has an article out today that speaks about some of this. The last sentence pretty much sums it up for me.

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/JohnStossel/2006/06/14/201170.html

Religious fanatics terrorize American farmers

By John Stossel

Jun 14, 2006

Media coverage of environmental regulators makes them look like dispassionate scientists. But too often they are dangerous religious fanatics.

Years ago, when ranchers and farmers told me that our government's environmental regulatory agencies had been captured by fanatics so hostile to the idea of private property that they'd use the endangered-species law to drive just about every landowner off his land, I thought they were overwrought. Then I learned the story of the lynx.

Thousands of lynx live in North America, but since environmental officials weren't sure whether there were any in the Gifford Pinchot and Wenatchee National Forests in southern Washington state, they commissioned a million-dollar study to find out.

The discovery of threatened or endangered species would be terrifying news to ranchers and farmers who depend upon use of the land for their livelihoods. Property-rights advocate Mike Paulson told us: "We basically say if you have an endangered species in your area, we're going to take your livelihood away, we're going to destroy your communities, and we're going to make it very difficult for your families to survive." The Endangered Species Act has been used to shut down logging, take away water rights, and stop multitudes of construction and development projects.

I want to save endangered species, too, but government is supposed to protect the rights of the people -- not destroy their lives because threatened animals might be in their area.

For their study in Washington state, government biologists nailed pieces of carpet soaked with catnip onto trees, hoping a lynx would rub up against them and leave some fur -- evidence of the lynx's existence in this particular area. Sure enough, when biologists sent carpet samples to a lab, they came back positive for hairs from a Canada lynx.

That may sound like good evidence that there were Canada lynx in the area, but actually, the regulators went to a zoo, got hair samples from captive lynx, and sent those hairs to the lab to be tested.

The biologists only admitted rigging the test when they were caught. The cheating didn't surprise Jim Beers, a biologist for the Department of Fish and Wildlife for 30 years.

He told me that biologists at Fish and Wildlife were on a campaign to keep people out of wooded areas. "The agencies today," he said, "are staffed with environmental radical activists." And the activist-bureaucrats don't want people living in the woods.

Once caught with their hands in the cage, the biologists announced that they were not trying to cheat, they were just "testing" the lab to make sure it could detect lynx hair by sending a "control" sample. Beers said: "That's the same as you telling me that you caught them walking out of the bank with money and they said, 'Oh, we were just seeing if the system works here.'"

No biologists were fired for the lynx fraud. They were just "disciplined." The fanatics protect their own.

Science-fiction author Robert A. Heinlein once wrote, "In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers' purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purposes of men) the 'Naturist' reveals his hatred for his own race -- i.e., his own self-hatred." The "Naturist" religion, which today we call "environmentalism," elevates every other form of life above human life. The Constitution was written to protect human beings' rights to life, liberty and property, but environmentalism says those rights must be subordinated to the protection of other species. And men and women who count on their land to support them must live at the mercy of the regulators.

How would environmental fanatics capture a government agency? Well, who is more likely to volunteer to take a job in a bureaucracy that has little to recommend it except that it gives you the power to use government force to control the lives of others? A dispassionate scientist or a zealot?

In government, the zealots eventually take over.

Copyright © 2006 Townhall.com