PDA

View Full Version : Gretz Article on D

ChiefsfaninPA
06-14-2006, 08:20 AM
GRETZ: INSIDE AN OTA - DEFENSE

Jun 14, 2006, 8:10:31 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

The Chiefs completed another OTA session on Tuesday at the Truman Sports Complex. Here’s a look at what the defense got done during the practice. We will look at the offense in Thursday’s OTA and report back on Friday.

DEFENSIVE LINE
There were 14 of the roster’s 16 linemen on the field, with the only missing faces being veterans John Browning and Eric Hicks. After the workout, Hicks was on the field working with the tackling sled. He’s limited in the amount of teamwork he can do as he recovers from off-season rotator cuff surgery. On the field but not practicing was Junior Siavii, while Zach Ville was limited in his participation. Ville is coming off a spring season in NFL Europe, while Siavii spent time riding a stationary bike. He’s limited because of sore knees.
During the individual position segments, the defensive line worked harder than any other group on the field. Part of that comes from the new tempo and what’s expected of them in the defense. Part of it is new assistant coach Tim Krumrie and his aggressive nature. These guys are working both strength and speed as they throw around tackling sleds and giant bags that pose as blockers.
Of the three position groups on defense, the tempo that Herman Edwards wants in this defense has affected the line more than the linebackers or secondary. They are being asked to run a lot more than they have in the past and a lot more than most defense linemen. That’s the style of the so-called Tampa defense and these guys have begun to understand they will have to be in the best shape of their careers to get and stay on the field.
The other thing that was especially noticeable in Tuesday’s OTA and has been throughout these off-season sessions is the number of balls the defensive line is batting down. Because they are moving up field off the snap, they are on the offense’s side of the ball more often and they are getting their arms up and knocking down passes.
Tamba Hali had an interception in the backfield, while Ryan Sims and Lional Dalton both had sacks from the interior of the line. Throughout the day, the defense put a lot of pressure on the passers.
LINEBACKERS
There are 10 linebackers on the Chiefs roster and all of them took part in Tuesday’s practice, including NFL Europe participant Kris Griffin.
In the individual drills, the linebackers worked on their pass drops, something they do in every practice. They also worked on their use of hands in getting free of blockers.
In the teamwork sessions, the linebackers did a lot of blitzing and were very successful in getting to the quarterbacks. In six plays, linebackers Kawika Mitchell, Rich Scanlon and Keyaron Fox each had sacks and Derrick Johnson was close on another one. Later, Boomer Grigsby added a sack as well.
Against the run, Mitchell, Johnson and Fox constantly showed up to stop plays. In coverage, Mitchell ran step for step with TE Tony Gonzalez deep down the middle of the field, but didn’t see the ball as it arrived over his head.
DEFENSIVE BACKS
There are 17 cornerbacks and safeties on the roster and 15 were on the field during Tuesday’s session and those missing were NFL Europe participants Gabriel Helms and Justin Perkins. Not practicing because of injury were William Bartee, Benny Sapp and Marcus Maxey.
Footwork, footwork, footwork is one of the key fundamentals the secondary works on in each of these sessions and Tuesday was no different. Assistant coach David Gibbs is constantly in the ear of these guys about the correct footwork in turning, backpedaling, etc.
During the team portion of Tuesday’s workout, Edwards was standing behind the secondary. The head coach was constantly talking to his defensive backs about using their eyes, seeing the receivers, the quarterback and the ball.
CB Michael Bragg had an interception. CB Kevin Garrett broke up a potential TD pass to WR Jermaine Jamison in the end zone that should have been an interception. A flea-flicker beat CB Patrick Surtain. In a situation drill, on a fourth down throw Dante Hall got away from CB Alphonso Hodge to move the sticks.
Overall, there’s a difference in the defensive tempo from the team’s mini-camp last month. That’s especially evident along the defensive line. Progress has been made.

BigChiefFan
06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Glad to hear Krumrie is working the D-line.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Glad to hear Krumrie is working the D-line.

I think that this is where it is all going to start for us if we want to have a chance to win. Getting some pressure on the QB and stop the RB at the first level. It will give our secondary and LBs a better chance to make plays.

HC_Chief
06-14-2006, 08:44 AM
I think that this is where it is all going to start for us if we want to have a chance to win. Getting some pressure on the QB and stop the RB at the first level. It will give our secondary and LBs a better chance to make plays.

Yep.
A solid DL is crucial. The best LBs and secondary in the league stand no chance if the DL gets pushed around.

ROYC75
06-14-2006, 08:45 AM
No mention of Bell ? WTF ? Hey Gun ...........

MOhillbilly
06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
while Siavii spent time riding a stationary bike. He’s limited because of sore knees.

what a ditchpig.

InChiefsHeaven
06-14-2006, 08:54 AM

Yeah, that was kinda glaring actually...

Chiefnj
06-14-2006, 08:59 AM
No mention of Gun either.

FAX
06-14-2006, 08:59 AM
No mention of Queen Elizabeth.

FAX

HC_Chief
06-14-2006, 09:00 AM
No mention of Queen Elizabeth.

FAX

Dammit Carl!! :cuss:

CoMoChief
06-14-2006, 09:07 AM
On the field but not practicing was Junior Siavii, who Siavii spent time riding a stationary bike battling his sore knees.

Holy shit this doesnt surprise me one bit. I cant fuggin believe we wasted a 2nd round pick on this piece of shit, Christ we even traded down out of the first round for him. I hope he gets cut. He simply can not cut it in the NFL. This might have been one of the worst picks in Chiefs history.

FAX
06-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Holy shit this doesnt surprise me one bit. I cant fuggin believe we wasted a 2nd round pick on this piece of shit, Christ we even traded down out of the first round for him. I hope he gets cut. He simply can not cut it in the NFL. This might have been one of the worst picks in Chiefs history.

Absolutely the worst, Mr. BSPimpDude.

Siavii is a giant tub of dissapointment infused lardiness.

FAX

htismaqe
06-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Hopefully, some of the role-players they signed recently will push Siavii to the curb. ****ing fat lazy piece of shit.

StcChief
06-14-2006, 09:34 AM
I like it, get Sims/Jr. working to the tempo or out the door.

Gaz
06-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Looks like I will have to abandon my hopes for Siavii blossoming this season.

Crud.

xoxo~
Gaz
Last one off the bandwagon.

StcChief
06-14-2006, 09:40 AM

Crud.

xoxo~
Gaz
He will blossom at the All you can eat Buffet
:)

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Yeah, that was kinda glaring actually...No shit. I just don't have a good feeling about Bell....:shake:

Sounds like Siavii will be lucky to make the squad, if that crap continues too....

Fish
06-14-2006, 10:03 AM
I agree with everyone about Siavii.... what a waste. I'll still defend Sims around here, but Siavii has no place on this D.....

Idahored
06-14-2006, 10:06 AM

Crud.

xoxo~
Gaz

Sorry to disappoint you Gaz, but I was on there with you. I think we jumped at the same time...

Mr. Kotter
06-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Sorry to disappoint you Gaz, but I was on there with you. I think we jumped at the same time...Eh, I was still hopin' too; no way I see Herm carrying his dead weight ass on the roster though, if he's already pussin' out of practice....

"Sore knees" for the past two years, are still "sore knees" in June is not a good sign, with all the medical and rehab people he has access too.

:banghead:

Lzen
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
Too bad about Siavvi. Not looking good, that's for sure. Although it is still possible that he could end up playing in the NFL, I doubt it will be with the Chiefs in the future.

FAX
06-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Too bad about Siavvi. Not looking good, that's for sure. Although it is still possible that he could end up playing in the NFL, I doubt it will be with the Chiefs in the future.

Agreed, Mr. Lzen. The problem is that he has probably zero trade value at this point. I mean, he can't even practice, let alone play. DV even mentioned that he belonged on the all rehab team last year.

Bustalooza.

FAX

Bob Dole
06-14-2006, 10:33 AM
what a ditchpig.
Pretty much what Bob Dole was thinking when he read that he was sitting out because of sore knees.

He should have plenty of time for them to get rested after they cut his lazy ass.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Pretty much what Bob Dole was thinking when he read that he was sitting out because of sore knees.

He should have plenty of time for them to get rested after they cut his lazy ass.

I wonder what goes on in his fat head. I mean as fans we sit here and we feel that he isn't performing up to any level, but he must feel like he is busting his arse or he is too injured to play good. I always wondered what went on inside of these guys heads that were sucking so much and seemed as if it doesn't even matter. If he cared, he would practice with the pain just to show that he is trying and he wants to be better. I am going to petition the organization that they let me be the one to hand him his pink slip and meal ticket(at a local buffet).

milkman
06-14-2006, 10:50 AM

Yeah, that was the thing that stood out for me in this article.

I have to say that I'm really not surprised.

ct
06-14-2006, 11:11 AM

Crud.

xoxo~
Gaz

Sorry to disappoint you Gaz, but I was on there with you. I think we jumped at the same time...

I have not yet abandoned ship, but will wait until they put on the pads and start crackin skulls in TC. If Jr. is still riding his bike while the big boys play ball, then I'm bailin out.

rad
06-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Who's Bell? :doh!:

Wile_E_Coyote
06-14-2006, 12:03 PM
an earlier article said Trent was resting his arm. I guess knocking down balls & sacking Huard, Croyle & Printers is good news...

noa
06-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I say we bring back Eddie Freeman so he can take off his helmet and start bashing Siavii.

milkman
06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
an earlier article said Trent was resting his arm. I guess knocking down balls & sacking Huard, Croyle & Printers is good news...

An interesting side note to this observation would have been who's pass was picked off by Tamba.

I would put money on Huard.

Basileus777
06-14-2006, 12:52 PM
A flea-flicker beat CB Patrick Surtain.

Did Terry Glenn beat him again?

tk13
06-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I can't believe we even ran a flea flicker. When's the last time we tried that in a game?

the Talking Can
06-14-2006, 01:24 PM
how did we not know about Siavii's knees before the draft?

DV said he would need surgery to get better....he obviously won't go under the knife, so I don't know why he is even on the team....he's a worthless piece of injured shit, like Bell (oh no you didn't!)

tk13
06-14-2006, 01:25 PM
how did we not know about Siavii's knees before the draft?

DV said he would need surgery to get better....he obviously won't go under the knife, so I don't know why he is even on the team....he's a worthless piece of injured shit, like Bell (oh no you didn't!)
Gunther would like to see you in his office, sir.

mikey23545
06-14-2006, 02:32 PM
GRETZ: INSIDE AN OTA - DEFENSE

Jun 14, 2006, 8:10:31 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

DEFENSIVE LINE
On the field but not practicing was Junior Siavii, while Zach Ville was limited in his participation. Ville is coming off a spring season in NFL Europe, while Siavii spent time riding a stationary bike. He’s limited because of sore knees.

Maybe his knees are sore from riding that ****ing bike so much the last couple of years.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Jr can always say a donkey did in his knees. Carl could only say, dammit rat :cuss:

BigChiefFan
06-14-2006, 04:07 PM
The problem with jr. today is the same problem with jr. of yesteryear. He was a project then and a project now. He also will be 27 this year, with only two years experience. Why we spent a 2nd rounder on an overaged PROJECT, I'll never know. Jr. hasn't done anything to warrant a roster spot, unless 13 tackles in two years impresses you. I pray Reed and Edwards knock jr. off the team and we cut our losses. He just seems unmotivated at this point and hasn't made football a priority. What a disappointment.

kc rush
06-14-2006, 04:24 PM
The problem with jr. today is the same problem with jr. of yesteryear. He was a project then and a project now. He also will be 27 this year, with only two years experience. Why we spent a 2nd rounder on an overaged PROJECT, I'll never know. Jr. hasn't done anything to warrant a roster spot, unless 13 tackles in two years impresses you. I pray Reed and Edwards knock jr. off the team and we cut our losses. He just seems unmotivated at this point and hasn't made football a priority. What a disappointment.

I will stick up for Gun on alot of things, but I believe JR was his pick. Poor judgement on his part. Nuthooks to him and any scout/coach/exec who approved the pick.

I wouldn't care so much if we picked up his project ass in fifth round, but as an early second rounder... :banghead: :cuss:

Coogs
06-14-2006, 09:26 PM
No mention of Gun either.

:toast:

Best part of the whole article. Herm is running this defense, no doubt about it. Herm put in the scheme. He is in charge of all of the units... D-line, LB's, and DB's. And Gun?

He is tattooing his name on Bell forehead... ROFL