PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen & Tamba Hali

penchief
06-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I believe that any great improvement of our defense next year will be centered around the play of our DEs as a duo. With all the talk about the tempo being key and the DL needing to be in good enough shape to make plays all over the field, I can't help but think that's why they drafted Hali. He fit's their scheme.

If Hali plays the same way as a pro, he and Allen would be two top-notch pass rushers coming off the ends. The focus wouldn't be soley on Allen. If offenses have to pay special attention to both ends it might also make the middle softer for the DTs, give the linebackers more freedom, and the secondary would not have to cover good receivers for too long.

I could easily see them becoming the defensive leaders of the team while also inspiring each other to keep playing at a high level somewhat like DT and Neil Smith.

nychief
06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
no shit.

KCChiefsMan
06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
hmmmm, if Tamba Hali plays like a pro....that will make 2 great pass rushers on opposite ends? and that would actually improve the defense?? wow.....I'm speechless

penchief
06-14-2006, 07:36 PM
hmmmm, if Tamba Hali plays like a pro....that will make 2 great pass rushers on opposite ends? and that would actually improve the defense?? wow.....I'm speechless

Of course it would be an improvement. I guess I didn't make myself clear. My point was that I think it would be "THE KEY." I see Hali playing the same way as a pro that he did in school. I think he'll make that transition fairly easily. I think he's good for double digit sacks as a rookie. I also think his style of play is contagious.

I guess I was only trying to say that Allen & Hali have a chance at being a special combo and turning our defense completely around, IMO.

SBK
06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
no shit.

ROFL

penchief
06-14-2006, 07:57 PM
I predict that Allen and Hali will be the stars of a KC defense that completely turns it around in 2006.

CHENZ A!
06-14-2006, 08:04 PM
My buddy went and got a Hali jersey a week ago, so he will probably break his leg in River Falls.

Chiefs Pantalones
06-14-2006, 08:13 PM
I predict that if our Dline is awesome, our defense will be awesome.

Go ahead and oooo and awwww now.

ChiefaRoo
06-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I predict that if the Chiefs score more points than their opponents they'll win.

I love piling on ROFL

JBucc
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Anywho I think DT play if more important for us right now than our DE's. Our DE's have been good to servicable (yes, even Hicks) but our DT's are either fat injured slobs or old.

JohnnyV13
06-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I predict that if our Dline is awesome, our defense will be awesome.

Go ahead and oooo and awwww now.

I go oooo and awwww at pretty much everything you post, but that's because I'm looking at QT's ass.

ChiefsCountry
06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
If Sims could turn into a player, highly unlikely, our DL could actually be pretty good. Edwards, Reed, Dalton are really good rotation guys. Good signings in the offseason for the Chiefs.

I like the youth on our defense - Hali, Allen at ends, and Mitchell and DJ at LB. Could be set at those positions for a while.

Moooo
06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I would say that Hali won't be something amazing. I think what it will be is a solid DE, but nothing special.

I also agree with the DT argument. I think if we had a DT as good as Allen it would do more good than having another DE as good as Allen.

Moooo

macdawg
06-15-2006, 05:06 AM
I was pleased with the Hali pick, I think he is just what we needed, I believe that for the last 3 years or so that Hicks has been a weak link on our defense, I've seen him come close but not finish one too many times, whether its due to lack of speed & burst, bad luck, whatever it may be I'm tired of it.

Now Hali does not have great speed, but he does have high energy and by all accounts he goes as hard in the 4th as he does in the 1st.

DE's make a bigger impact against the pass than DT's, so I think going for a DE in round 1 was the right call this year.

greg63
06-15-2006, 05:15 AM
It'd be nice to have a 1-2 punch combo again.

King_Chief_Fan
06-15-2006, 06:55 AM
I was pleased with the Hali pick, I think he is just what we needed, I believe that for the last 3 years or so that Hicks has been a weak link on our defense, I've seen him come close but not finish one too many times, whether its due to lack of speed & burst, bad luck, whatever it may be I'm tired of it.

Now Hali does not have great speed, but he does have high energy and by all accounts he goes as hard in the 4th as he does in the 1st.

DE's make a bigger impact against the pass than DT's, so I think going for a DE in round 1 was the right call this year.

yup...... Mr Hicks, please have a seat over there on the bench. We will all you when we are ready for you.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 07:00 AM
im hoping key fox comes on strong this year,yesterdays report sounded positive.
IMO Hali will probably struggle his first year and by game two there will be atleast 40 threads calling him a bust.

our strength lays in our LB core and there ability to grow from last year to this.

Chiefnj
06-15-2006, 07:29 AM
IMO Hali will probably struggle his first year and by game two there will be atleast 40 threads calling him a bust.

You got that right. Not many pure 4-3 DE's come in and put up great numbers their first year. People will measure him by sacks alone - not pressures, tackles, play reading ability, etc.

Kind of like last year when people were saying the Chiefs should have taken Merriman instead of DJ. People like sacks. It doesn't matter if DJ is an open field LB and not a rushing OLB in a 3-4, he's a disappointment because he doesn't have sacks.

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 08:04 AM
You got that right. Not many pure 4-3 DE's come in and put up great numbers their first year. People will measure him by sacks alone - not pressures, tackles, play reading ability, etc.

Kind of like last year when people were saying the Chiefs should have taken Merriman instead of DJ. People like sacks. It doesn't matter if DJ is an open field LB and not a rushing OLB in a 3-4, he's a disappointment because he doesn't have sacks.

If this team improves by at least a half-yard per rush, Hali is a success.

I could really care less about the rest, I want to see him shore up that side against the cutback and bootleg runs.

Lzen
06-15-2006, 08:18 AM
My buddy went and got a Hali jersey a week ago, so he will probably break his leg in River Falls.

Shaddup, you!! :cuss:

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 08:27 AM
If this team improves by at least a half-yard per rush, Hali is a success.

I could really care less about the rest, I want to see him shore up that side against the cutback and bootleg runs.

a half yard per attempt would be HUGE.
The DBs would really have to step up.....really step up.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2006, 08:57 AM
The key to the defense is tackling. I know tackling is a big thing in football.

Garcia Bronco
06-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Those guys will be worthless without good Dt play. Allen can get to the QB..there is no question of it, but he also gets beat out of the play because of his speed. The new guy is the new guy. He could be great or flat. He might be great for 8 games and rookie out. I look forward to the challeges both these guys will present to the denver offense.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 09:17 AM

gang tackling is the key. 11 guys that can put a hat on the ball carrier & know the whats and wheres to make stops and give up ZERO big plays.
the new coaching staff has its work cut out for em'.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Those guys will be worthless without good Dt play. Allen can get to the QB..there is no question of it, but he also gets beat out of the play because of his speed. The new guy is the new guy. He could be great or flat. He might be great for 8 games and rookie out. I look forward to the challeges both these guys will present to the denver offense.

pfffttt. we got siaviiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!
all that bike riding is gonna pay off bigtime in the regular season.

Chan93lx50
06-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Anybody worried about the size of our DE?

I dont really care about the size its all in how you play (How is that Mr Obvious)

I hope they can cover the naked bootleg, how many years in a row do we have to bitch about cover one stinking play!

Chiefs Pantalones
06-15-2006, 10:13 AM

No worries for you guys. Hali is faster than Hicks, so by the time Jake fakes to Anderson on the opposite side, Hali is so fast, he'll already be 20 yards up the field the wrong way, then chasing Jake behind him like he was lined up on the opposite side of the field. ROFL

But seriously though, if we don't get that fixed with the bootleg and all, that will be just F'ing sick. Either the players are stupid, or the coaches can't teach...or both. Why a PROFESSIONAL DE can't stay contained is way beyond my knowing. The same with why a pro bball player can't hit his free throws. It's retarded.

Lurch
06-15-2006, 10:15 AM
If Tamba is as he is billed, I think you are right pennchief. I'm hoping.....

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 10:31 AM
If Tamba is as he is billed, I think you are right pennchief. I'm hoping.....

small,dumb, & slow?

Chief Faithful
06-15-2006, 10:39 AM
I believe that any great improvement of our defense next year will be centered around the play of our DEs as a duo. With all the talk about the tempo being key and the DL needing to be in good enough shape to make plays all over the field, I can't help but think that's why they drafted Hali. He fit's their scheme.

If Hali plays the same way as a pro, he and Allen would be two top-notch pass rushers coming off the ends. The focus wouldn't be soley on Allen. If offenses have to pay special attention to both ends it might also make the middle softer for the DTs, give the linebackers more freedom, and the secondary would not have to cover good receivers for too long.

I could easily see them becoming the defensive leaders of the team while also inspiring each other to keep playing at a high level somewhat like DT and Neil Smith.

Considering how Edwards wants the secondary in the zone keying off QB and breaking on the ball, if the DLine can cause the QB into rushing his throw there could be a lot of interceptions this year.

Fire Me Boy!
06-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah... "zone" and "key off the QB and break on the ball"...

Anyone else see "read and react"? :banghead:

FAX
06-15-2006, 11:15 AM

ROFL

FAX

Chief Faithful
06-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah... "zone" and "key off the QB and break on the ball"...

Anyone else see "read and react"? :banghead:

Yep in the secondary, but not on the DLine. I hated Robinson's read and react because it was applied to the front 7. As long as the DLine can be aggressive and create havoc then I'm ok with read and react in the secondary.

MOhillbilly
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Yep in the secondary, but not on the DLine. I hated Robinson's read and react because it was applied to the front 7. As long as the DLine can be aggressive and create havoc then I'm ok with read and react in the secondary.

id rather have it the d line play R&R(mixed in w/ some well timed stunts ofcourse) and the DBs cover there parts of the field theyre supposed to cover.

Which is what were probably going to get.

CoMoChief
06-15-2006, 12:24 PM
It'd be nice to have a 1-2 punch combo again.

Lets not get too out of control just yet. Tamba Hali is not Neil Smith and I dont think will ever compare to what he did here. Hali could be (and lets all hope Im incredibly wrong here) just another senior who played one good season in college, but doenst make it in the NFL. I hope that prediction is very wrong, but we wont know anything until close to the end of TC when Hali goes up against Turley/Welbourn.

Sure-Oz
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM
no shit.
that should've ended the thread ROFL