PDA

View Full Version : John Welbourn retiring per rumor from Warpaint

Hammock Parties
06-15-2006, 05:16 PM
From the Warpaint Boards:

We've heard through our friends at 38 the Spot that John Welbourn has decided to retire from football. We are chasing the story down and will provide more information later.

vailpass
06-15-2006, 05:19 PM
That is good news for KC fans. If WPI says he is retiring he will probably be signing a 3 year extension tomorrow.
Why did you place the WPI link in the subject line? Are you that desperate to act the lapdog for your new masters?

Bill Lundberg
06-15-2006, 05:19 PM
That's premium info. You are going to be in BIG TROUBLE!! LOL

Hammock Parties
06-15-2006, 05:20 PM
That's premium info. You are going to be in BIG TROUBLE!! LOL

It's not premium. It's on the main board.

BigChiefFan
Wow. Color me surprised. I wonder if he violated another drug policy set by the league?

tyton75
IF its true.. I wonder if that will free up any money to sign Ty Law :)

(let the meltdown ensue!)

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Wow. Color me surprised. I wonder if he violated another drug policy set by the league?

Yep, that's what I was thinking. He is on the juice again.

Bill Lundberg
It was on the premium board earlier... I'm sure glad I paid to find out rumors 15 minutes before they give it out for free

hypersensitiveZO6
That sucks. The roids should be kickin in bout now.

nychief
06-15-2006, 05:24 PM
The only reason I can see him quitting is that he was busted again. WPI is ****ing a joke, so stay tuned.

Logical
06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
This thread has KICK ME written right into its title.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Sorry, but I have never been a fan of Welburp. What a horrible trade. Glad he is gone.

FAX
We sure got a lot of value out of this guy.

Maybe this fills in the blanks around the acquisition of Turley?

FAX

FringeNC
Edwards sure was talking up Turley the other day...maybe that's because he already knew about Welbourn.

Also it could be a contract ploy. Wasn't Welbourn a malcontent at Philly?

Hammock Parties
06-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry, but I have never been a fan of Welburp. What a horrible trade. Glad he is gone.

If you weren't a fan of him last year, you were pretty hard to please. He had an excellent year last year. We ran to the right with the best success since John Tait was the right tackle. He was very, very good, and a huge improvement over his first year.

recxjake
06-15-2006, 05:28 PM
man that sucks, he's a good 6th lineman

FringeNC
06-15-2006, 05:30 PM

You're kidding, right? Chiefs led the league in offense the last two years, setting an NFL record for first downs in 2004. You don't do that with stiffs on the line.

nychief
06-15-2006, 05:32 PM
man that sucks, he's a good 6th lineman

he was our starting RT.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
2nd time breaking the drug policy, sounds like he would rather retire than spend the summer denying it again.

BigRock
06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Didn't <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a>'s friends at 38 the Spot also break the news of the tumor on Priest's spine? :shake:

FAX
06-15-2006, 05:34 PM
You're kidding, right? Chiefs led the league in offense the last two years, setting an NFL record for first downs in 2004. You don't do that with stiffs on the line.

Agreed, Mr. FringeNC. I think Mr. milkman said it best, "John Welbourn redefined the position of right tackle in the NFL."

FAX

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 05:34 PM

He picked it up a bit the last half of the year, but missed a ton of blocks early on.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 05:45 PM
He picked it up a bit the last half of the year, but missed a ton of blocks early on.

I'm pretty pissed.

Welbourne > Svitek, players not named Will, Casey, or Brian.

He was a decent blocker and I'm not buying into the Turley stuff. Like I said, the steriods probably would really start giving their full effect this year.

Hootie
06-15-2006, 05:49 PM
this is definitely unfortunate.

His big problem in 2004 was false starts...once he broke the starting lineup in 2005 he was money.

nychief
06-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Didn't <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com"><a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a></a>'s friends at 38 the Spot also break the news of the tumor on Priest's spine? :shake:

they are a ****ing joke, right?

ChiefsCountry
06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Well 38 the Spots sport show comes on in 8 minutes, DJ is the feature guest.

Mecca
06-15-2006, 05:53 PM

You being the same guy that said we needed to get rid of Larry Johnson......probably a good thing you aren't running the team.

Hootie
06-15-2006, 05:58 PM
You being the same guy that said we needed to get rid of Larry Johnson......probably a good thing you aren't running the team.
he's a ****ing dumbass...

Coach
06-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Wow. Thats suprising.

recxjake
06-15-2006, 06:02 PM
he was our starting RT.

key word... was.... thats why he is a great 6th man

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:03 PM

Hopefully this report is untrue because he's better than anything else we can run out there.

DaFace
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
John Welbourn retires from Chiefs
By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer
June 15, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman John Welbourn announced his retirement Thursday.

Welbourn, 30, was acquired from Philadelphia in 2004 after coming into the league as a fourth-round draft choice in 1999.

He was hampered by a knee injury during his first year in Kansas City, and was suspended the first four games of 2005 for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. This season, he would have competed with newly signed Kyle Turley and veterans Jordan Black and Kevin Sampson at right tackle.

"I decided to retire on my own terms rather than somebody else's," Welbourn told The Associated Press. "It was awesome playing in the NFL. I got to play with a lot of great athletes, Will Shields, Willie Roaf, to name a few. I've been playing football for 16 years and it's a little scary to think I won't be playing any more. But at the same time, it's exciting to think I'll be starting a whole new chapter in my life."

Welbourn, who has nearly completed work on a graduate degree in education, said he planned to enroll in law school. He said he would be filing the paperwork on his retirement with the NFL office.

"I discussed this with the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago," said Welbourn, who participated in last month's minicamp but has been unhappy that the Chiefs would not renegotiate terms of his contract.

A Chiefs spokesman said the team had received a fax from Welbourn's representative indicating "his desire to pursue his studies." Kansas City plans to keep him on the active roster for now, in case he changes his mind.

He was primarily a left guard in five years at Philadelphia, where he played in three NFC championship games.

"It's weird thinking I won't be playing football anymore," he said. "Most guys play until they can't play anymore. But I feel good physically and I've been playing well. I'm leaving on a high note."

hypersensitiveZO6

So is Jerry Stackhouse. Finals Tonight! @ 8

Halfcan

That was when he was wearing the diapers and crying all the time. PH was on pace for more records. Oh and his racist article in the Pitch did not help his image any.

To say Roidburn did not miss blocks is just Homer talk. If he is on the juice, I am glad he is retiring.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
June 15, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman John Welbourn announced his retirement Thursday.

Welbourn, 30, was acquired from Philadelphia in 2004 after coming into the league as a fourth-round draft choice in 1999.

He was hampered by a knee injury during his first year in Kansas City, and was suspended the first four games of 2005 for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs. This season, he would have competed with newly signed Kyle Turley and veterans Jordan Black and Kevin Sampson at right tackle.

"I decided to retire on my own terms rather than somebody else's," Welbourn told The Associated Press. "It was awesome playing in the NFL. I got to play with a lot of great athletes, Will Shields, Willie Roaf, to name a few. I've been playing football for 16 years and it's a little scary to think I won't be playing any more. But at the same time, it's exciting to think I'll be starting a whole new chapter in my life."

Welbourn, who has nearly completed work on a graduate degree in education, said he planned to enroll in law school. He said he would be filing the paperwork on his retirement with the NFL office.

"I discussed this with the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago," said Welbourn, who participated in last month's minicamp but has been unhappy that the Chiefs would not renegotiate terms of his contract.

A Chiefs spokesman said the team had received a fax from Welbourn's representative indicating "his desire to pursue his studies." Kansas City plans to keep him on the active roster for now, in case he changes his mind.

He was primarily a left guard in five years at Philadelphia, where he played in three NFC championship games.

"It's weird thinking I won't be playing football anymore," he said. "Most guys play until they can't play anymore. But I feel good physically and I've been playing well. I'm leaving on a high note."

its official.

recxjake
06-15-2006, 06:06 PM
its official.

the article says k.c. is gonna keep him on the active roster? why!

DaFace
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
"I discussed this with the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago," said Welbourn...

And when did we sign Turley again? :hmmm:

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
That was when he was wearing the diapers and crying all the time. PH was on pace for more records. Oh and his racist article in the Pitch did not help his image any.

To say Roidburn did not miss blocks is just Homer talk. If he is on the juice, I am glad he is retiring.

You said this at the beginning of last year! You seem to dislike any player who isn't in a cookie cutter image of what you think a good guy is.

Your view of athletes is funny, I'd bet money that atleast 80% of the NFL is on some sort of performance enhancing drugs.

JohnnyV13
06-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Notice that he wanted the chiefs to renegotiate his contract?

I think the chiefs are keeping him on the roster as a "call your bluff" thing.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 06:19 PM
June 15, 2006

Yep-knee injuries, suspended 4 games for Roids, unhappy about getting paid (nothing new here) Glad he is gone. I wonder when the report showing he was using again will come out.

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:22 PM
You're happy our team is getting worse........great.

recxjake
06-15-2006, 06:24 PM
so we have one backup guard... chris bober.... and i guess that european develpment player peter hayer!

Eleazar
06-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Yeah - Jordan Black at right tackle. Hooray. That's something to cheer about :rolleyes:

Mecca
I hope Kyle Turley is ready to play....if he's not this might not be a pretty year.

ChiefFan31
Thats irritating.

This is probably the link to the story copy/pasted a few posts above..

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/9509169

That irritates me that he has been such a huge disappointment for us. After hearing how "good" he was playing guard for the Philly Birds

Oh well, Good Riddance than.

I wonder if it was roids and failing a test, maybe the Chiefs knew about it, and made sure they at least signed Turley.

recxjake
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Yeah - Jordan Black at right tackle. Hooray. That's something to cheer about :rolleyes:

no Turley... Black to guard

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Thats irritating.

This is probably the link to the story copy/pasted a few posts above..

That irritates me that he has been such a huge disappointment for us. After hearing how "good" he was playing guard for the Philly Birds

Oh well, Good Riddance than.

I wonder if it was roids and failing a test, maybe the Chiefs knew about it, and made sure they at least signed Turley.

Huh? Did you not watch him play last season? The guy was about as good as you can ask him to be at RT. Also playing RT is quite a bit different than playing LG so comparing him to his time in Philly is absurd. Losing him hurt's our team none of our other guys we have to play RT are as good as him.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:29 PM
no Turley... Black to guard

I'm not on this Turley bandwagon at all.

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:30 PM

Yea let's start Kevin Sampson so when someone touches him he will get injured and not do anything for the rest of the year.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 06:31 PM
You said this at the beginning of last year! You seem to dislike any player who isn't in a cookie cutter image of what you think a good guy is.

Your view of athletes is funny, I'd bet money that atleast 80% of the NFL is on some sort of performance enhancing drugs.

You are so right, I suffered though the years of having drug dealers and thugs on this team. We have the ultimate "Good Guy" in Trent Green-and I see nothing wrong with building a team in the image of that. Will Shields has been the very essence of what a NFL Player can do.

It seems that LJ has matured a bit, and hopefully under Herm he will continue to put up huge numbers. I love hearing him talk about taking this team to a SB instead of personal goals-this gives me hope this kid can really be a positive role model in the future.

htismaqe

Black won't be at right tackle.

Don't forget that the 2 former o-linemen that cover sports in KC are saying that Svitek would have beaten out Welbourn anyway...

recxjake

I am... he's the real deal... a proven tackle... much better than Black, Sampson, and Sviteck

Tribal Warfare
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Hopefully Sampson or Svitek are ready to play RT this season.

Mecca
You are so right, I suffered though the years of having drug dealers and thugs on this team. We have the ultimate "Good Guy" in Trent Green-and I see nothing wrong with building a team in the image of that. Will Shields has been the very essence of what a NFL Player can do.

It seems that LJ has matured a bit, and hopefully under Herm he will continue to put up huge numbers. I love hearing him talk about taking this team to a SB instead of personal goals-this gives me hope this kid can really be a positive role model in the future.

I could really careless what the players are.......all I care about is if they win games. The players are not our friends, buddies or pals. We don't hang with them, we don't personally know them. So other than how they play the game I could really careless. My judgement of a player is about how good of a player he is nothing more nothing less.

Halfcan
Huh? Did you not watch him play last season? The guy was about as good as you can ask him to be at RT. Also playing RT is quite a bit different than playing LG so comparing him to his time in Philly is absurd. Losing him hurt's our team none of our other guys we have to play RT are as good as him.

Who says we could not have drafted a kid instead of getting a guy on roids. He was not that great his first year, but did look good the last 6 games.

What is the penalty for testing positive a 2nd time??

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
I am... he's the real deal... a proven tackle... much better than Black, Sampson, and Sviteck

He WAS the real deal.

Don't get me wrong, I love the signing. Potentially huge reward with virtually no risk.

But at this point you're looking at a guy who's been out of football due to a severe injury. And that's not even mentioning the fact that he's a former offensive tackle currently living in a linebacker's body.

DaFace
06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
I didn't watch the NFLE games, but I'm hoping Svitek can come in and take the starting job, personally.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 06:36 PM
I could really careless what the players are.......all I care about is if they win games. The players are not our friends, buddies or pals. We don't hang with them, we don't personally know them. So other than how they play the game I could really careless. My judgement of a player is about how good of a player he is nothing more nothing less.

Hell we might as well be the Faders then.

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Who says we could not have drafted a kid instead of getting a guy on roids. He was not that great his first year, but did look good the last 6 games.

What is the penalty for testing positive a 2nd time??

Enough with the roids, the Chiefs gave up what a 3rd and a 5th for Welbourne. If you think we could have drafted a RT that would have started right away in either of those rounds......you don't know how the Chiefs draft very well. This is not Madden football where you can draft 6 guys and start them all and be fine.

ChiefFan31
06-15-2006, 06:37 PM

I watched him play, when he wasnt suspended for Roids the first four games of the season. I wouldnt call him dominant, but supposedly he was looked pretty good in the OTA's.

He leaves us with Jordan Black and a guy who has been out of football for two years. Although, I do hold some hope that Turley will step it up.

He is a dissapointment to me, being suspended and then retiring now abruptly, at least to us...

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:38 PM

They've won a Superbowl more recently now haven't they......

hypersensitiveZO6
06-15-2006, 06:38 PM

It turned out to be a great signing with Welbourne retiring, but i just can't see him as a starter. I have a feeling they organization knew about Welbourne and that was the reason they signed Turley. They were just looking for any olineman and Turley was on the board. It was a great sign, but not a starter kind of sign.

Plus there's a good chance one of those 3 guys you named will step it up this year. All of them have huge upsides, and I don't have a problem with starting one of them.

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 06:49 PM

ROFL

Get over it. Nice guys finish last.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
ROFL

Get over it. Nice guys finish last.

If you don't think how a player conducts himself in the offseason directly relates to his performance on the field-just look at Big Ben.

If a player such a Welburp gets benched for 4 games it hurts the whole team. AKA Warfield.

Bam didn't get us too many yards when he was sitting in jail for stealing cars and selling weed.

Mecca
06-15-2006, 06:59 PM
If you don't think how a player conducts himself in the offseason directly relates to his performance on the field-just look at Big Ben.

If a player such a Welburp gets benched for 4 games it hurts the whole team. AKA Warfield.

Bam didn't get us too many yards when he was sitting in jail for stealing cars and selling weed.

You said you wanted to trade Larry Johnson because he had a bad attitude......

Chiefnj
06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
1. Props to WPI for getting the story quickly.

2. It stinks to lose a starting RT.

3. I can't believe the Chiefs had to give up 2 picks for the guy.

4. If the Chiefs are keeping him on the roster it must not be a positive steroid test, it must be about money.

5. I hope Roaf sitting home the last week for the same "personal" reasons isn't going to end the same way - retirement.

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 07:01 PM

You're a goddamn moron.

For every slouch you can name, I can name multiple Super Bowl champs. Hell, almost the entire mid-90's Dallas team was toking, snorting, or shooting up.

And Bam wasn't on the team when he was sitting in jail, he'd already moved on by then.

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 07:02 PM

His bad attitude really hurt his performance on the field, weren't you paying attention?

BigRock
06-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I can't wait for all the "KC Chief announces his retirement" headlines to pop up on sports sites, getting people to click thinking it's about Priest.

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
NFL.com has it now.

beer bacon
06-15-2006, 07:15 PM
This sucks, but I don't think we are doomed or anything. We should let Sivitek continue to develop at LT, and not mess up his development by moving him to RT. Let Sampson and Turley fight it out for RT. Jordan Black should be dragged out into the street and shot.

Monkeylook4food
06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
The only reason I can see him quitting is that he was busted again. <a href="http://chiefsplanet.com">WPI</a> is ****ing a joke, so stay tuned.

I agree with you. WPI is a joke. So, please visit there and laugh.

htismaqe
06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
This sucks, but I don't think we are doomed or anything. We should let Sivitek continue to develop at LT, and not mess up his development by moving him to RT. Let Sampson and Turley fight it out for RT. Jordan Black should be dragged out into the street and shot.

It never ceases to amaze me when people say stuff like this.

Jordan Black is a GUARD and the few times he's played there, he's done well. It's not his fault that the Chiefs' coaching staff moved him to tackle and he couldn't cut it.

beer bacon
06-15-2006, 07:25 PM
It never ceases to amaze me when people say stuff like this.

Jordan Black is a GUARD and the few times he's played there, he's done well. It's not his fault that the Chiefs' coaching staff moved him to tackle and he couldn't cut it.

That is all well and good, but it doesn't stop the nightmares :deevee:

penchief
06-15-2006, 08:12 PM

My first thought was that we lost our stop-gap replacement at right guard when Shields retired. I think Welbourn was a pretty good lineaman. I think he would have been pretty good playing his normal position while we developed a long range solution.

But Black was also a right guard in college so maybe he's still capable of making his mark there.

chop
06-15-2006, 08:14 PM
4. If the Chiefs are keeping him on the roster it must not be a positive steroid test, it must be about money.

It is all about money.

Chiefs | Welbourn retires
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:21:46 -0700

The Associated Press reports Kansas City Chiefs OL John Welbourn has announced his retirement from the NFL. "I decided to retire on my own terms rather than somebody else's," Welbourn told The Associated Press. He said he would be filing the paperwork on his retirement with the NFL office. "I discussed this with the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago," said Welbourn, who participated in last month's minicamp but has been unhappy that the Chiefs would not renegotiate terms of his contract. Kansas City plans to keep him on the active roster for now, in case he changes his mind.

Rain Man
06-15-2006, 08:23 PM
This completely, absolutely stinks. Suck it up, Welbourn.

Dang it.

milkman
06-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Agreed, Mr. FringeNC. I think Mr. milkman said it best, "John Welbourn redefined the position of right tackle in the NFL."

FAX

ROFL

Kylo Ren
06-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Jordan Black should be dragged out into the street and shot. :eek:

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 11:00 PM

I never said that at all-make some more shit up.

Mecca
06-15-2006, 11:01 PM
You wanted to get rid of Larry Johnson until Priest got hurt.....

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 11:08 PM
You're a goddamn moron.

For every slouch you can name, I can name multiple Super Bowl champs. Hell, almost the entire mid-90's Dallas team was toking, snorting, or shooting up.

And Bam wasn't on the team when he was sitting in jail, he'd already moved on by then.

Typical that you resort to name calling. If you don't think a players offfield issues effect his team you are the Moron!

You are argueing for Players that do drugs, drink and drive ect and saying it does not matter. Personally I want hard working players on the Chiefs not drunks and steroid thugs.

And it was not the whole Dallas team-it was a few that made the headlines and tarnished a great team. So by your ignorant logic, these are the players we want.

el borracho
06-15-2006, 11:15 PM
It is all about money.

Chiefs | Welbourn retires
Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:21:46 -0700

The Associated Press reports Kansas City Chiefs OL John Welbourn has announced his retirement from the NFL. "I decided to retire on my own terms rather than somebody else's," Welbourn told The Associated Press. He said he would be filing the paperwork on his retirement with the NFL office. "I discussed this with the Chiefs a couple of weeks ago," said Welbourn, who participated in last month's minicamp but has been unhappy that the Chiefs would not renegotiate terms of his contract. Kansas City plans to keep him on the active roster for now, in case he changes his mind.
So he would rather retire and make $0 than play for a paltry $1,400,000 or whatever he was going to make? Makes good sense, John! :thumb: Jackass!

Monkeylook4food
06-15-2006, 11:19 PM
So he would rather retire and make $0 than play for a paltry $1,400,000 or whatever he was going to make? Makes good sense, John! :thumb: Jackass!
Which is why many of us think he got popped again.

KCBOSS1
06-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm an old school guy. I personally do want strong character guys on our squad. I may not hang out with them, but I and my kids wear their jerseys. I've always despised the Cowboys because of no scruples.

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM

How is a man supposed to feed his family on that??

el borracho
06-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Which is why many of us think he got popped again.
Wouldn't the Chiefs know that? And if Welbourne was popped and the Chiefs did know it why would they be holding a roster spot for him? He's been suspended once already. Unless I am mistaken the next suspension is for a year, no?

Monkeylook4food
06-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Wouldn't the Chiefs know that? And if Welbourne was popped and the Chiefs did know it why would they be holding a roster spot for him? He's been suspended once already. Unless I am mistaken the next suspension is for a year, no?
The next suspension generally is for a year, depending on what he has popped for this time around. Popping for a performance enhancer is automatic 4 games. Popping for anything else is an entirely different substance abuse program governed by the NFLPA.

The Chiefs may be holding a roster spot pending his appeal, assuming he will appeal which also assumes he popped in the first place. A lot of assumptions here so take it all with a grain of salt.

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Enough with the roids, the Chiefs gave up what a 3rd and a 5th for Welbourne. If you think we could have drafted a RT that would have started right away in either of those rounds.....

When were Tim Grunhard, Dave Szott, and Will Shields drafted again?...

Brock
06-15-2006, 11:34 PM

About where you should draft centers and guards.

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:38 PM
About where you should draft centers and guards.

While LT is a more difficult position to find a stud I don't see it being any more important than C.

But I'd agree that it's much easier to find a stud O lineman late in the draft than about any other offensive position...

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Until the league accepts his retirement papers-he is still under contract-so KC is not "holding" his spot open. We should get some cap benefits also.

el borracho
06-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Until the league accepts his retirement papers-he is still under contract-so KC is not "holding" his spot open. We should get some cap benefits also.
Ooh! I wonder if we will get a compensatory pick next year? Does the league give picks for spontaneous retirements?

Halfcan
06-15-2006, 11:51 PM
Ooh! I wonder if we will get a compensatory pick next year? Does the league give picks for spontaneous retirements?

Yeah I wish. It would be nice to get the picks we wasted on him. If I remember right-the Donks manipulated Elgays retirement papers, actually held them to gain some Cap relief. Which really surprised me-the Donks have been so honest when it comes to the Cap. lol

Rukdafaidas
06-16-2006, 04:24 AM
I didn't care for Welbourn as a Tackle, but he was a good guard. I was hoping he would be around when Shields retires.
I believe Turley, Sampson or Svitek would have beat him out of the RT spot anyways.

Rukdafaidas
06-16-2006, 04:32 AM
KC Star Article (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/14829577.htm)

Welbourn won’t be back for Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs signed Kyle Turley not a moment too soon.

Days after the veteran offensive lineman arrived, the Chiefs revealed that the incumbent starter at right tackle, John Welbourn, intended to retire.

That leaves the spot open for Turley, a former starter for New Orleans and St. Louis, or holdovers Kevin Sampson and Jordan Black.

Welbourn participated in last month’s minicamp but skipped recent practices, signaling his intent. Neither Welbourn nor his agent could be reached for comment.

“My sense is that he was thinking about this for some time,” Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said.

Left tackle Willie Roaf has also missed recent voluntary practices to spend time in California with his children. Several sources indicated Roaf would rejoin the Chiefs for the start of training camp late next month.

Welbourn was suspended for the first four games last season for violation of the NFL’s policy banning the use of steroids. Another positive test would trigger a second, longer suspension. Peterson indicated Welbourn was not facing another suspension.

“He did serve a suspension last year, but I have no knowledge of that this year, and I certainly would if there was something to that,” Peterson said. “I think he just thought it was time to get on with his life.”

The Chiefs traded third- and fifth-round draft choices to Philadelphia for Welbourn in April 2004. Though mostly a guard for the Eagles, he became a starter for the Chiefs at right tackle. Welbourn started nine games last season after serving his suspension.

“Sure, I would have liked more production from him,” Peterson said. “I wouldn’t say he didn’t play to expectations when he did play.

“His best position is offensive guard. He never got a chance to play much of that for us because we have two pretty good guards in Will Shields and Brian Waters. But he did help us at tackle.”

Turley is the favorite to take Welbourn’s starting spot. He started six years for the Saints and Rams but missed each of the last two seasons because of an ailing back.

the Talking Can
06-16-2006, 05:47 AM
eh...not one of our better trades...but not a total disaster...

StcChief
06-16-2006, 05:50 AM
Will the Chiefs look for another Vet Guard/Tackle

or are the recent crop of draftee ready to compete and be good replacements if somebody goes down.

jspchief
06-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Does anyone know what the hell actually happened to Sampson last year? I know he passed out in NY during the bye week, but then I don't remember anyone ever telling his story, and he didn't return to the team.

the Talking Can
06-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know what the hell actually happened to Sampson last year? I know he passed out in NY during the bye week, but then I don't remember anyone ever telling his story, and he didn't return to the team.

I think he was grounded.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2006, 06:26 AM
We already have our starting HOF right tackle on the roster people... let the reign of Scanlon begin!!!

bringbackmarty
06-16-2006, 07:37 AM
man welbourne was mean, and nasty and could play both guard and tackle. it sucks to lose a guy like that on a football team, even if he was on roids.

htismaqe
06-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Typical that you resort to name calling. If you don't think a players offfield issues effect his team you are the Moron!

You are argueing for Players that do drugs, drink and drive ect and saying it does not matter. Personally I want hard working players on the Chiefs not drunks and steroid thugs.

And it was not the whole Dallas team-it was a few that made the headlines and tarnished a great team. So by your ignorant logic, these are the players we want.

Name calling? You ARE a moron, so I'm just saying it like it is.

I'd prefer to WIN, plain and simple. If he was doing Roids, he's a cheater. Kick him off the team.

If he's smoking weed, that's HIS business. Leave him the **** alone.

Tarnished a great team? They won FOUR SUPER BOWLS. Take your goody two shoes as home and shut up.

htismaqe
06-16-2006, 07:59 AM

He suffered dehydration after the first game I think it was. Spent some touch-and-go time in the hospital. It sounded at the time like he was going to die.

jlscorpio
06-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm gonna miss Welbourne. He has a mean streak that is great to have in an O-Lineman. I thought he was gonna be a big part of the future of this team. Wasn't he the one who owned Ray Lewis in the monday night game in '04?

FAX
06-16-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm gonna miss Welbourne. He has a mean streak that is great to have in an O-Lineman. I thought he was gonna be a big part of the future of this team. Wasn't he the one who owned Ray Lewis in the monday night game in '04?

I don't remember Welbourn getting on Lewis in that game, Mr. jlscorpio.

I remember TRich and Shields putting him on his ass quite a few times, though.

That was a great game. Lewis miked and whining like Peyton Manning. Couldn't have been better.

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2006, 08:19 AM
I don't remember Welbourn getting on Lewis in that game, Mr. jlscorpio.

I remember TRich and Shields putting him on his ass quite a few times, though.

That was a great game. Lewis miked and whining like Peyton Manning. Couldn't have been better.

FAX
You can't forget Brian Waters. Waters pancaked his ass.

But he was being double teamed the whole time. ROFL

htismaqe
06-16-2006, 08:20 AM

Nope, that Shields, TRich, and Black a couple of times.

Rain Man
06-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Is it possible that he had to get off the 'roids, and then shriveled up like a 7-11 hot dog, and figured out that he couldn't compete at 197 pounds?

FAX
06-16-2006, 08:31 AM
You can't forget Brian Waters. Waters pancaked his ass.

But he was being double teamed the whole time. ROFL

I forgot about that, Mr. Roof Pig!. You're right, of course.

Actually, I think that was the game that brought Waters to the attention of the league and media. Probably got him started on his way to the Pro Bowl. Thanks for reminding me.

FAX

banyon
06-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Turley was on 810 this morning and said that he was trying to talk Welbourn out of retiring. He said that they were good friends and were training together in LA.

sedated
06-16-2006, 08:48 AM

according to all of Grandpa's statements at the time, he fell so behind the others that he could not make it up during the season.

I'm not sure if he meant mentally or physically, probably both.

As long as that's not all bullsh!t (which it very well could be knowing this organization), Sampson should be the leading RT candidate going into 2006.

BigRedChief
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2487050 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2487050)

Less than a week into his return from a two-year hiatus, Kyle Turley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4273) hasn't yet secured the starting right offensive tackle job with the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan). But he is certainly skyrocketing up the depth chart.

His ascent was aided Thursday by the abrupt announcement from seven-year veteran John Welbourn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4747) that he has decided to retire. The Chiefs' starter at right tackle for the final nine games last season, Welbourn was expected to vie with Turley and returning veterans Jordan Black (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6489) and Kevin Sampson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6990) for the No. 1 spot in 2006.

Welbourn, 30, had three seasons remaining on his contract, at base salaries of $1.4 million (for 2006), $1.7 million (2007) and $2 million (2008). The veteran blocker is close to completing work on his graduate degree in education and plans to enroll in law school.

"I've been playing football for 16 years and it's a little scary to think I won't be playing anymore," said Welbourn. "But at the same time, it's exciting to think I'll be starting a whole new chapter in my life."

In seven seasons, the first five of which were spent with the Philadelphia Eagles (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=phi), the former University of California star appeared in 78 games and started 75 of them. He started in all but one of his 22 appearances with the Chiefs in 2004-2005, but was slowed by a knee injury in his first season in Kansas City and then missed the first four games last year because of a violation of the league's steroid policy.

The Chiefs acquired Welbourn from Philadelphia in 2004 for third- and fifth-round draft choices.

The sudden loss of Welbourn, whose best position might have actually been guard, leaves Turley as the favorite to secure the starting job. Turley, a seven-year veteran, signed a two-year contract with the Chiefs on Monday after missing the past two seasons because of severe back problems.

Kansas City officials were not pleased with the performance at right tackle in 2005 from any of the players who lined up there, and that prompted them to pursue Turley, who originally had planned to return to the NFL as a tight end, a position he had never played before. But the Chiefs convinced Turley that he might return to his old form at tackle, especially playing on one of the NFL's premier blocking units.

His experience seems to give Turley a decided advantage over Black and Sampson entering training camp.

Whether he can recapture the skills that once made him a premier strong-side tackle might be a function of how Turley deals with the weight he lost during his two seasons away from the game. His typical playing weight was 309 pounds, but it is believed Turley dropped 40-50 pounds to relieve some of the stress on his back. He might actually have to gain some weight back to be effective again.

In his early workouts this week, however, Turley apparently has performed well.

The former San Diego State star was released by the Rams in June 2005 after he failed a team-administered physical examination. Turley missed the entire 2004 season when his back problem flared during training camp and he was placed on injured reserve.

Turley has been treated for more than two years now by Dr. Robert Watkins, a renowned Los Angeles back specialist who performed surgery on a herniated disc in March 2004. Turley reinjured his back four months later and eschewed a second surgery, preferring instead to go through a long rehabilitation that included shedding considerable weight.

His last game action came Jan. 10, 2004, when the Rams lost to the Carolina Panthers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=car) in double overtime of a divisional round playoff contest. Turley played in all 16 regular-season games in 2003. Over six years, Turley appeared in 95 regular-season games, all of them as a starter.

The seventh overall player selected in the 1998 draft, Turley played six seasons with the New Orleans Saints (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nor), and then was traded to the Rams in the spring of 2003

Tribal Warfare
06-16-2006, 11:45 AM

this is on memory, and didn't look it up

Grunhard and Szott were drafted in 1990 and Shields was drafted in '94

ChiefaRoo
06-16-2006, 11:52 AM
this is on memory, and didn't look it up

Grunhard and Szott were drafted in 1990 and Shields was drafted in '94

I believe Grunny was a 2nd round pick - Notre Dame, Szott was a 7th round pick - Penn State and Shields was a 3rd round pick (KC's first pick that year) - Nebraskee'.

penchief
06-16-2006, 12:00 PM

Sophomore slump?

Let's hope he comes back solid this year.

Eleazar
06-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Shouldn't this say, "Welbourne retiring per rumor from 38 the Spot?"

Monkeylook4food
06-16-2006, 12:09 PM
Shouldn't this say, "Welbourne retiring per rumor from 38 the Spot?"

Did the author of the thread receive the rumor from a 38 the Spot report or a Warpaint report?

I'm sure an argument could be made either way. Personally, I think we should spin it whichever way makes Warpaint look stupid - again.

Chiefnj
06-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Did the author of the thread receive the rumor from a 38 the Spot report or a Warpaint report?

I'm sure an argument could be made either way. Personally, I think we should spin it whichever way makes Warpaint look stupid - again.

Monkeyphobia,

What was Kennison's medical procedure?

StcChief
06-16-2006, 12:30 PM
What surprises me no one in Media
is asking the plan for RT to Chiefs now...

Just hoping Turley is fine and works out
or the Sampson, Black ... can be a backup and fill in adequately....in case of injury

BigRedChief
06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Personally, I think we should spin it whichever way makes Warpaint look stupid - again.
Or better yet....make Phil look stupid. That would be very believable.:p

BigRedChief
06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
What surprises me no one in Media
is asking the plan for RT to Chiefs now...

You have to assume that they knew this was a strong possibility when they brought in Turley. King Carl has made some poor decisions but he ain't stupid.

CupidStunt
06-16-2006, 12:57 PM
$1.2M saved.

Nice.

StcChief
06-16-2006, 01:01 PM
$1.2M saved.

Nice.I hope that isn't Carl's thinking.... or the more for Ly Taw.

I want to see them look for/ bring in another Vet, that's what the postion needs at this point. Nothing against Turley, Sampson....

They were planning on two vets competing thinking the other recent crop of draftees may not be ready to start.

listopencil
06-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah I wish. It would be nice to get the picks we wasted on him. If I remember right-the Donks manipulated Elgays retirement papers, actually held them to gain some Cap relief. Which really surprised me-the Donks have been so honest when it comes to the Cap. lol

Which bit them in the ass and started the whole "*violated the salary cap during the Super Bowl years" bullshit many of your sour grapers have been peddling as opposed to KC's "*violated the NFL substance abuse policy during the 7-9 year".