PDA

View Full Version : The no smoking ban in CA not hurting bars.

Logical
06-15-2006, 09:21 PM
I was in a bar the other day (a tuesday afternoon) and the business was booming. It seems all the alarm over how the no smoking ban was going to kill the bar business was all a false fear. Evidently the urge to drink far over-rides the urge to smoke. What is really amazing is you no longer see a bunch of people outside the doors smoking.

:clap:

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
I was in a bar the other day (a tuesday afternoon) and the business was booming. It seems all the alarm over how the no smoking ban was going to kill the bar business was all a false fear. Evidently the urge to drink far over-rides the urge to smoke. What is really amazing is you no longer see a bunch of people outside the doors smoking.

They passed a smoking ban on the TX side here, and it's rare now for Bob Dole to patronize a TX side bar or restaurant. Since Bob Dole isn't there, Bob Dole is unable to speak to the effects of the ban.

Bob Dole enjoys the irony of the state's ever-increasing taxes on cigarettes to fund initiatives, all while they try to make it illegal to smoke the damned things.

Logical
06-15-2006, 09:28 PM
They passed a smoking ban on the TX side here, and it's rare now for Bob Dole to patronize a TX side bar or restaurant. Since Bob Dole isn't there, Bob Dole is unable to speak to the effects of the ban.

Bob Dole enjoys the irony of the state's ever-increasing taxes on cigarettes to fund initiatives, all while they try to make it illegal to smoke the damned things.
I do understand the irony. I don't have a clue how much the cigarette taxes are out here but I am sure they are astronomical.

You have the advantage of living on the border so patronizing places across the state line is easy for you. Most big cities in CA are not situated similarly so the ban does unfairly effect them.

Rain Man
06-15-2006, 09:31 PM
They'll regret this when those smokers stop dying young and start wanting retirement and pensions.

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I do understand the irony. I don't have a clue how much the cigarette taxes are out here but I am sure they are astronomical.

You have the advantage of living on the border so patronizing places across the state line is easy for you. Most big cities in CA are not situated similarly so the ban does unfairly effect them.

Arkansas is about ready to put a state-wide ban in place, but Bob Dole's understanding is that places who don't allow patrons under 21 are exempt. It's just a matter of time until that's changed, Bob Dolewould imagine.

If they actually manage to significantly lower the number of smokers through obscene taxation, it will be interesting to see what they choose to tax next. You know good and well they're not going to cut programs.

Psyko Tek
06-15-2006, 09:36 PM
I think RJ reynolds did that study and presented it to a eurpean government as a reason to encourage smoking...

not sure just think I remember it

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
They'll regret this when those smokers stop dying young and start wanting retirement and pensions.

Retirement?

Bob Dole is pretty sure he's going to get screwed out of that one way or another anyway... Unless Bob Dole lives to be 80, which is pretty unlikely given Bob Dole's family history.

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, and Bob Dole's smoking.

Like a steam locomotive.

Rain Man
06-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Retirement?

Bob Dole is pretty sure he's going to get screwed out of that one way or another anyway... Unless Bob Dole lives to be 80, which is pretty unlikely given Bob Dole's family history.

Can I have your stuff?

Over-Head
06-15-2006, 09:50 PM
It's killing George ST.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Street%2C_St._John%27s

"George Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Street%2C_St._John%27s) in downtown St. John's has the most bars per square foot in North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America).

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Can I have your stuff?

Bob Dole will put your name on the mailing list. It's basically going to be a first-come, first-served property free-for-all.

KCChiefsMan
06-15-2006, 09:58 PM
you wouldn't find me at a bar if you couldn't even step outside to smoke, thats for sure.....I have a pool table, so that wouldn't be a big deal for me since thats what I do most when I go to a bar

alanm
06-15-2006, 10:14 PM

Wait till the price of beer triples within the next 10 yrs. ROFL

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 10:18 PM

That's one likely candidate. It's already taxed pretty heavily though, and it's mainstream enough that people might actually pitch a fit.

alanm
06-15-2006, 10:22 PM
That's one likely candidate. It's already taxed pretty heavily though, and it's mainstream enough that people might actually pitch a fit.
One would argue sucessfully that alcohol harms more lives than smoking does, therefor it should be heavilly taxed. You wait it's coming. Wait til people start suing the beer and liquor companies like they have the tobacco companies. Just a matter of time. :cuss:

Rain Man
06-15-2006, 10:23 PM
By the time they get around to taxing Hostess Zingers, hopefully I'll be dead.

el borracho
06-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Maybe by then marijuana will be legal and the gov. can start taxing that.

Logical
06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
One would argue sucessfully that alcohol harms more lives than smoking does, therefor it should be heavilly taxed. You wait it's coming. Wait til people start suing the beer and liquor companies like they have the tobacco companies. Just a matter of time. :cuss:

Alcohol is already heavily taxed it has been since before I was born.

Bugeater
06-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Now that you mention that, I'm really surprised that hasn't happened yet seeing how lawsuit-happy this country has become.

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Wait til people start suing the beer and liquor companies like they have the tobacco companies. Just a matter of time. :cuss:

It won't surprise Bob Dole one bit.

Bob Dole is convinced that we (the U.S.) have already passed the point of no return as a society. We've already got too much legislation that runs counter to the original ideals, and those just provide precedent for additional legislation that takes it to the next absurd level.

Some segment of society is eventually going to get fed up and it's going to get very bloody again at some point. Bob Dole just hopes he isn't around to witness it.

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Maybe by then marijuana will be legal and the gov. can start taxing that.Great idea.

I know that the anti-smoking push in Columbia actually helped most of the buisnesses that went to no smoking.

ChiefaRoo
06-15-2006, 11:39 PM

Then quit your smoking addiction and abuse alcohol like everyone else Bob.

sd4chiefs
06-15-2006, 11:40 PM

Sorry, smoking kills way more than booze.

Alcohol Related Deaths
The leading causes of death in 2000 (the latest figures available) show alcohol consumption the third highest cause of death in the country.
The Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 19, 2005, Vol. 293, No. 3, p. 298, reported on the leading causes of death in the United States:

Tobacco (435,000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths)
Poor diet and physical inactivity (400,000 deaths; 16.6%)
Alcohol consumption (85,000 deaths; 3.5%)

http://www.stopaddiction.com/narconon_alcohol_deaths.html#

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Then quit your smoking addiction and abuse alcohol like everyone else Bob.

Silly Roo. Bob Dole does both.

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Sorry, smoking kills way more than booze.

Alcohol Related Deaths
The leading causes of death in 2000 (the latest figures available) show alcohol consumption the third highest cause of death in the country.
The Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 19, 2005, Vol. 293, No. 3, p. 298, reported on the leading causes of death in the United States:

Tobacco (435,000 deaths; 18.1% of total US deaths)
Poor diet and physical inactivity (400,000 deaths; 16.6%)
Alcohol consumption (85,000 deaths; 3.5%)

http://www.stopaddiction.com/narconon_alcohol_deaths.html#

How many people you know that've smoked a pack and killed a family of 4?

Smoking only causes one death - YOURS...

sd4chiefs
06-15-2006, 11:47 PM

The smoking ban was passed back in 1998. This is old news. You really don't see that many people smoking anywhere here in California. I love it.

Bob Dole
06-15-2006, 11:49 PM
The smoking ban was passed back in 1998. This is old news. You really don't see that many people smoking anywhere here in California. I love it.

So it's a lot like Utah, but with more silicone?

sd4chiefs
06-15-2006, 11:50 PM

Secondhand Smoke Fact Sheet
March 2006

Secondhand smoke, also know as environmental tobacco smoke, is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar and the smoke exhaled from the lungs of smokers. It is involuntarily inhaled by nonsmokers, lingers in the air hours after cigarettes have been extinguished and can cause or exacerbate a wide range of adverse health effects, including cancer, respiratory infections, and asthma.1

Secondhand smoke has been classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a known cause of cancer in humans (Group A carcinogen).2
Secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths and 35,000-62,000 heart disease deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year.3
A study found that nonsmokers exposed to environmental smoke were 25 percent more likely to have coronary heart diseases compared to nonsmokers not exposed to smoke.4
Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at work are at increased risk for adverse health effects. Levels of ETS in restaurants and bars were found to be 2 to 5 times higher than in residences with smokers and 2 to 6 times higher than in office workplaces.5
Since 1999, 70 percent of the U.S. workforce worked under a smoke-free policy, ranging from 83.9 percent in Utah to 48.7 percent in Nevada.6 Workplace productivity was increased and absenteeism was decreased among former smokers compared with current smokers.7
As of 2005, 9 smoke-free states prohibit smoking in almost all workplaces, including restaurants and bars (CA, CT, DE, ME, MA, NY, RI, VT and WA).8
Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to young children. Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 1,900 to 2,700 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.9
Secondhand smoke exposure may cause buildup of fluid in the middle ear, resulting in 700,000 to 1.6 million physician office visits per year. Secondhand smoke can also aggravate symptoms in 400,000 to 1,000,000 children with asthma.10
In the United States, 21 million, or 35 percent of, children live in homes where residents or visitors smoke in the home on a regular basis.11 Approximately 50-75 percent of children in the United States have detectable levels of cotinine, the breakdown product of nicotine in the blood.12
New research indicates that secret research conducted by cigarette company Philip Morris in the 1980s showed that secondhand smoke was highly toxic, yet the company suppressed the finding during the next two decades.13

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:51 PM
So it's a lot like Utah, but with more silicone?

I don't think it's anything like Utah...

luv
06-15-2006, 11:51 PM

I was just getting ready to ask if that figure included those killed by drunk drivers as well.

Logical
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
The smoking ban was passed back in 1998. This is old news. You really don't see that many people smoking anywhere here in California. I love it.I must admit I had forgot it was that long ago. But the point is bars are still thriving despite it. I agree it is great out here, people have no idea how much better a truly smoke free restaurant is versus a no smoking zone in a restaurant where smoking is allowed, there is a huge, huge difference.

sd4chiefs
06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't think it's anything like Utah...

There are a lot of Mormons here. They keep a low profile but they are out there and I think they have some kind of evil plan to take over the world.

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Secondhand Smoke Fact Sheet
March 2006

Secondhand smoke, also know as environmental tobacco smoke, is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of a cigarette, pipe or cigar and the smoke exhaled from the lungs of smokers. It is involuntarily inhaled by nonsmokers, lingers in the air hours after cigarettes have been extinguished and can cause or exacerbate a wide range of adverse health effects, including cancer, respiratory infections, and asthma.1

Yeah, only you don't get cancer from second hand smoke.

It's possible, someone COULD I suppose, but it doesn't happen.

And come back and talk to me about my 2nd hand smoke when you quit driving in traffic.

You have any idea how many smokes I have to breathe out to even come close to the nasty exiting your automobile? Carbon monoxide? Are you kidding me? I could light 3 packs of smokes all at once in a room with you and you wont die. How long before you sit in that garage with the engine running before you punch yer' ticket?

I'm not saying it's not bad for you, I'm just pointing out the laughable stats the gubment and others have been sticking out there for years on 2nd hand smoke...

sd4chiefs
06-15-2006, 11:56 PM
I must admit I had forgot it was that long ago. But the point is bars are still thriving despite it. I agree it is great out here, people have no idea how much better a truly smoke free restaurant is versus a no smoking zone in a restaurant where smoking is allowed, there is a huge, huge difference.

I here it is a good place to meet other people and get laid.

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:57 PM
There are a lot of Mormons here. They keep a low profile but they are out there and I think they have some kind of evil plan to take over the world.

Well, they've got a complete record of most yer' family's sex life anyway...

Logical
06-15-2006, 11:58 PM
There are a lot of Mormons here. They keep a low profile but they are out there and I think they have some kind of evil plan to take over the world.Well we do have the 2nd largest Mormon Temple in the world here now. Evidently a place so special that only Mormons that have their Bishop's recommendation can go in. I must admit from the outside it is a truly beautiful and inspiring piece of architecture.

Rausch
06-15-2006, 11:59 PM
I must admit I had forgot it was that long ago. But the point is bars are still thriving despite it. I agree it is great out here, people have no idea how much better a truly smoke free restaurant is versus a no smoking zone in a restaurant where smoking is allowed, there is a huge, huge difference.

I'd agree with that as far as Cali. FAR fewer people smoke on the west coast.

Try that in the midwest and you'd see a much different result...

stevieray
06-16-2006, 12:01 AM
who gives a shit what happens in californicating?

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I'd agree with that as far as Cali. FAR fewer people smoke on the west coast.

Try that in the midwest and you'd see a much different result...Actually when I moved here in 90 I would say just as many people smoked here as in Kansas. But as the smoke free work places and then the bans took effect the rate has gone down to an amazingly low rate. Evidently the lack of easy access to the habit made it eaier for people to quit.

whoaskew
06-16-2006, 12:04 AM
I could light 3 packs of smokes all at once in a room with you and you wont die.

I won't die? Ever?

cdcox
06-16-2006, 12:05 AM
I've never been a smoker, but I swear I'm going to take it up one of these days to counter act what the do gooders think they are achieving..

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:07 AM
who gives a shit what happens in californicating?Trying to answer, I do. I really wonder why the negative image, I think anyone who had a chance to live here 6 months and could afford it would never leave. It really is a slice of heaven on earth for so many things, weather, beautiful women, pristine beaches, mountains within 30 minutes, every activity known to man available within a hours drive and here in San Diego a cleaner environment than you will find in KC or Denver.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:10 AM
I've never been a smoker, but I swear I'm going to take it up one of these days to counter act what the do gooders think they are achieving..I am not a do gooder about it. Chiefsplanet folks will tell you, I have hung with them when they smoke at the 37 forever banquet and outside Arrowhead at the tailgates, hell I hung all nite with Austinchief at an Austin bar while he smoked and pretty much everyone else in the bar did as well. It is just I prefer the smoke free environment and find dining much more enjoyable when the air is smoke free.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:11 AM
This spread is pretty much a nightmare for my family owning a bowling center and bar.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:14 AM
This spread is pretty much a nightmare for my family owning a bowling center and bar.

Bowlers are pretty hard core, I doubt they will quit bowling if a ban goes into effect.

Nzoner
06-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Trying to answer, I do. I really wonder why the negative image, I think anyone who had a chance to live here 6 months and could afford it would never leave. It really is a slice of heaven on earth for so many things, weather, beautiful women, pristine beaches, mountains within 30 minutes, every activity known to man available within a hours drive and here in San Diego a cleaner environment than you will find in KC or Denver.

Given the opportunity I plan on returning to San Diego someday,I loved living out there

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:17 AM
I won't die? Ever?

SMOG - screw it, let's target smoking.

You'll get more dangerous fumes from standing near a busy street than second hand smoking. And that's OUTSIDE. But where's the overwhelming concern for that?

Not much at all, because people just accept that as a part of life. Cars make nasty fumes. Imagine, more empathy for automobiles than people.

It's disengeneous to claim it's all about your health when people don't care about their health. Smog won't go away unless people quit driving gas guzzling behemoths, but there's no crackdown on that.

There's some serious irony in these global warming nazis putting forth no effort to stop that yet smoking is the death of America.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:18 AM

Hey, we get to be on the same side for once... :)

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Bowlers are pretty hard core, I doubt they will quit bowling if a ban goes into effect.
I think you underestimate how much smoking and continued drinking go together.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey, we get to be on the same side for once... :)
Is it that rare?

cdcox
06-16-2006, 12:19 AM
I am not a do gooder about it. Chiefsplanet folks will tell you, I have hung with them when they smoke at the 37 forever banquet and outside Arrowhead at the tailgates, hell I hung all nite with Austinchief at an Austin bar while he smoked and pretty much everyone else in the bar did as well. It is just I prefer the smoke free environment and find dining much more enjoyable when the air is smoke free.

Dining yes, I prefer a smoke free environment. But in a bar? Let 'em light up. The buildings on campus are smoke free, but now they have made all the entrances to buildings the same. If I don't want to breathe it entering a building, I can hold my breath. for the 10 yards as I approach. Every year a few do gooders try to get a ban on sale of tobacco products on campus. It's gone beyond providing a smoke free environment for health reasons to pure outright harrassment.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Is it that rare?

Tends to be, both in approach and argument.

More often than not my ADD kicks in and I lose my give-a-$#it in arguments with most people anyway...

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:24 AM
SMOG - screw it, let's target smoking.

You'll get more dangerous fumes from standing near a busy street than second hand smoking. And that's OUTSIDE. But where's the overwhelming concern for that?

Not much at all, because people just accept that as a part of life. Cars make nasty fumes. Imagine, more empathy for automobiles than people.

It's disengeneous to claim it's all about your health when people don't care about their health. Smog won't go away unless people quit driving gas guzzling behemoths, but there's no crackdown on that.

There's some serious irony in these global warming nazis putting forth no effort to stop that yet smoking is the death of America.

Brad, they are and have been cracking down on smog out here for years. They have a long way to go especially in LA but the standards become stricter every year. So I would say there is no double standard at least here. It is just easier to have a more effective solution on smoking than smog. Millions of people all need to get to work and you don't rapid transit all of them though system are being built all the time. There are about 3 mil people here in San Diego county and only a few rapid transit trolley lines, the city is so spread out that buses are not very time effective, too much ground to cover and too many stops to make.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Tends to be, both in approach and argument.

More often than not my ADD kicks in and I lose my give-a-$#it in arguments with most people anyway...
I do tend to talk things for a good amount of time if its still going.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Dining yes, I prefer a smoke free environment. But in a bar? Let 'em light up. The buildings on campus are smoke free, but now they have made all the entrances to buildings the same. If I don't want to breathe it entering a building, I can hold my breath. for the 10 yards as I approach. Every year a few do gooders try to get a ban on sale of tobacco products on campus. It's gone beyond providing a smoke free environment for health reasons to pure outright harrassment.

There is no ban at entrance of buildings out here. I guess I did not know they were doing that anywhere. I must admit that is taking it a little far.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Brad, they are and have been cracking down on smog out here for years. They have a long way to go especially in LA but the standards become stricter every year. So I would say there is no double standard at least here. It is just easier to have a more effective solution on smoking than smog. Millions of people all need to get to work and you don't rapid transit all of them though system are being built all the time. There are about 3 mil people here in San Diego county and only a few rapid transit trolley lines, the city is so spread out that buses are not very time effective, too much ground to cover and too many stops to make.

I'm talking day-to-day commitment.

Smoking on the west coast is like being gay in the midwest.

"It's icky, and I don't like it..."

el borracho
06-16-2006, 12:26 AM
I love the smoking bans and not just for health reasons. Actually, I don't care that smoking kills you, I just hate the way it smells and the way it makes everyone in the room smell. Smoking stinks. Here in ABQ you may not smoke in restaurants but you may smoke in bars and I can tell you I go out of my way to avoid smoke because I don't want to smell like crap just so some asshole can look cool.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm talking day-to-day commitment.

Smoking on the west coast is like being gay in the midwest.

"It's icky, and I don't like it..."LOL, that was genuinely funny. I suppose it is right to an extent as well. I do believe people are more health concious out here, lot less overweight people, and the people who are overweight tend not to be morbidly obese (just one example).

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:31 AM
I do tend to talk things for a good amount of time if its still going.

Typical Rausch/Zach argument in person:

Rausch: Yer full of it man, illegals are....wait, who's that?

Zach: My date.

Rausch: Giggity. That's quality man, nice catch.

Zach: She's a nice girl. Really cool.

Rausch: Uh huh. Anyway, illegals are-.....(hot chick walks up, hugs Zach, and whispers something in his ear.) What the ****? WHo was that?

Zach: Oh, she's a girl I met in college. Really cool.

Rausch: What the **** dude? Do you like sweat that Tag body spray $#it or what?

Zach: I need another beer.

Rausch: Yep, both mine are empty...(Rausch sees something shiny and goes to investigate...)

Bowser
06-16-2006, 12:33 AM
The Improv Comedy Club at Zona Rosa is smoke free. We saw Paublo Fransisco there a month or so ago, and we loved not smelling like an ashtray as we walked out of a bar.

Apparently, Lawrence has some sort of smoke free ordinance, and based on a commentary in the Star a few days ago, bars haven't been affected as badly as was feared. It said something along the lines of it taking a couple of months, but business is as it has always been.

I'm for it. I'm not trying to piss on anybody's chain smoking parade, but I hope it passes solely for selfish reasons. It's great to be able to BREATHE at a bar.

And don't worry, Zach. As long as you keep karaoke around on Wedesday nights, my wife's friend will continue to finance your college education. :D

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:34 AM
LOL, that was genuinely funny. I suppose it is right to an extent as well. I do believe people are more health concious out here, lot less overweight people, and the people who are overweight tend not to be morbidly obese (just one example).

I'd argue narcissistic, but that's just me...

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Rausch: Uh huh. Anyway, illegals are-.....(hot chick walks up, hugs Zach, and whispers something in his ear.) What the ****? WHo was that?

Rausch: Yep, both mine are empty...(Rausch sees something shiny and goes to investigate...)

You joke a lot, but I have never noticed any ADD tendencies when we have run into each other. In fact I would say you are more focused than Tim, now he seems to genuinely get distracted easily.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:36 AM
The Improv Comedy Club at Zona Rosa is smoke free. We saw Paublo Fransisco there a month or so ago, and we loved not smelling like an ashtray as we walked out of a bar.

Apparently, Lawrence has some sort of smoke free ordinance, and based on a commentary in the Star a few days ago, bars haven't been affected as badly as was feared. It said something along the lines of it taking a couple of months, but business is as it has always been.

I'm for it. I'm not trying to piss on anybody's chain smoking parade, but I hope it passes solely for selfish reasons. It's great to be able to BREATHE at a bar.

And don't worry, Zach. As long as you keep karaoke around on Wedesday nights, my wife's friend will continue to finance your college education. :D

If a business wants to be smoke-free more power to 'em. It's their right.

What I don't like is the government stepping in and robbing that right from a business owner.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Haha.

I come off much much better in person than I do on the internet. Its not even that I wouldnt say things in person here that I do online its just how I say them...I dunno how to explain.

We also don't really disagree with things that I am very adament about.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Karaoke does rock. This is true.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:39 AM
I'd argue narcissistic, but that's just me...

I would say that is definitely true in LA especially among the ladies, not so much here in San Diego. I think it is just there are so many things to do instead of eating that helps. I know I started losing weight from the day I moved out here and have basically never had to worry about dieting. I weighed almost 275 when I moved here was down to 235 in 4 years, down to 220 by 2001, and then when my kidney problems kicked in I dropped to my current 180 to 185 range. No diets just no emphasis on eating as entertainment.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:44 AM
You joke a lot, but I have never noticed any ADD tendencies when we have run into each other. In fact I would say you are more focused than Tim, now he seems to genuinely get distracted easily.

I try. ADD is a relatively new concept. When I was a kid you did as told or got yer' azz kicked. You do your best to live with it.

If it wasn't fun or I didn't enjoy it I'd drift off in body or attention. Education was not something my catholic schooling even attempted to make enjoyable, so I drifted off a lot. When something has captured my interest I can stick with it for hours at a time. Problem is that it's like the fish and spinner bait: if you don't get me on first pass I don't care and drift away...

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Haha.

I come off much much better in person than I do on the internet. Its not even that I wouldnt say things in person here that I do online its just how I say them...I dunno how to explain.

If I had a dollar for every time I met a planteer and they said "I figured you'd be a lot bigger" I'd have my 80 acres in Japan.

I come off headstrong and confrontational on the puter but I'm really not that way in person. I'm just an eccentric guy that likes to suck down beer and have a good time... :)

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Karaoke does rock. This is true.

It is funny but I never got into it. First I am a horrible singer and don't pretend otherwise. For me it is not amusing to make other people have to listen to it. Then I only enjoy those who are actually good at it and I tend to feel embarrassed for those who are bad. I know a lot of people just find it funny and think it is great entertainment, different strokes I guess.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:50 AM
If I had a dollar for every time I met a planteer and they said "I figured you'd be a lot bigger" I'd have my 80 acres in Japan.

I come off headstrong and confrontational on the puter but I'm really not that way in person. I'm just an eccentric guy that likes to suck down beer and have a good time... :)

Nah only when you are defending your love of PCs.;)

alanm
06-16-2006, 12:51 AM

I don't know who is gathering numbers on alcohol related deaths but that figure of 85,000 seems shockingly low. :shake: I'd wager alcohol related illnesses contribute more than that alone.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:52 AM
It is funny but I never got into it. First I am a horrible singer and don't pretend otherwise. For me it is not amusing to make other people have to listen to it. Then I only enjoy those who are actually good at it and I tend to feel embarrassed for those who are bad. I know a lot of people just find it funny and think it is great entertainment, different strokes I guess.
Its an interesting deal...I actully DJed it for a while to make money. Here is how crowds and people react.

If you are having fun and are good people love it.
If you are bad but are having fun people love it.
If you are taknig it seriously and are bad people hate it.
If you are taking it seriously and are good people are annoyed.

Logical
06-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Its an interesting deal...I actully DJed it for a while to make money. Here is how crowds and people react.

The last one suprises me a little, unless they are obnoxious to go with taking it seriously.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
The last one suprises me a little, unless they are obnoxious to go with taking it seriously.
This could prob use some explanation. See there are these people out there...where ever karaoke is there are a few of them. They think this is their own american idol. Instead of going out and having fun with some people and having some drinks and maybe doing some singing this is some big event.

They bring their own CD....tell the person where they think the audio levels should be...and just generally take way way to serious. People sense that and feel annoyed by it.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 12:59 AM
Nah only when you are defending your love of PCs.;)

Eventually my liver will fail, and when it does I can only hope I'm situated in the bed next to you during treatments so I know where to toss the contents of my bedpan... :evil:

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:01 AM

Grandllama says you should play the shark song...

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 01:02 AM
DJing is one of those things that sounds cool and fun.

And isnt.

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Eventually my liver will fail, and when it does I can only hope I'm situated in the bed next to you during treatments so I know where to toss the contents of my bedpan... :evil:ROFL

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey Brad, when do you do most of your posting these days. I rarely see you posting yet you stay about 1000 posts ahead of me consistently.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 01:05 AM
heh, I have never been a big time drinker...thats been under control. Food? thats another story.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey Brad, when do you do most of your posting these days. I rarely see you posting yet you stay about 1000 posts ahead of me consistently.

I tend to sleep 2-3 hours here and there. Any drug strong enough to knock me out tends to ruin my day with chinese disease.

Long story, but my days are free now until I start teaching in August...

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:08 AM
I tend to sleep 2-3 hours here and there. Any drug strong enough to knock me out tends to ruin my day with chinese disease.

Long story, but my days are free now until I start teaching in August...

What are you teaching and at what level?

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:14 AM
heh, I have never been a big time drinker...thats been under control. Food? thats another story.

My metabolism has always been malleable. If I bother to exercise weight falls off, and when I don't it keeps adding on. I've gone from 32' to 34' and I'm not buying new $#it. I've started the carb diet again and after this month I'll have my bike paid off (needed work) and I should be back in 32's in 2-4 weeks.

And for a person with a bad temper beer, Pink Floyd, and relaxing at home is a miracle cure. Problem is the inevitable flaw of humanity: people are mostly stupid or assanine and will never fail to piss you off.

I'm attempting to cure the cause and not medicate the symptoms... :hmmm:

Nzoner
06-16-2006, 01:16 AM
DJing is one of those things that sounds cool and fun.

And isnt.

Things must've changed then because when I had my mobile dj business back in 1990 I had a blast,I loved it.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:16 AM
What are you teaching and at what level?

High school "Supplemental Education." LD kids, one autistic kid, and a bunch of kids who just might not get one thing or another.

I think it's great they've got an additional spot now just for it. When I was a kid you passed or failed, no additional anything...

alanm
06-16-2006, 01:18 AM
If a business wants to be smoke-free more power to 'em. It's their right.

What I don't like is the government stepping in and robbing that right from a business owner.
:clap: That's been my position all along. It should be a private businesses decision. Not up to the state or city to decide. If you know it's a smoking establishment and you don't like smoke, you can always patronize the smoke free, metro sexual, fern hanging, citrus bar down the street. ROFL

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:19 AM
High school "Supplemental Education." LD kids, one autistic kid, and a bunch of kids who just might not get one thing or another.

I think it's great they've got an additional spot now just for it. When I was a kid you passed or failed, no additional anything...

Sounds challenging, kind of interesting given what is your perceived image on patience. Big props.

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Things must've changed then because when I had my mobile dj business back in 1990 I had a blast,I loved it.

Thats because you are a real musician.

Don't kill me Dinny Blues, I keed, I keed.

luv
06-16-2006, 01:22 AM
You kids still up? Isn't it past your bedtimes?

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Sounds challenging, kind of interesting given what is your perceived image on patience. Big props.

Eh, I get real maudlin around kids with a hard road. A lot of my friends had some scatty parents.

Besides, I need to get in the black karma-wise...

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:24 AM

Uh huh...

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:24 AM

No work tommorow and no sense tempting the insomnia goblins.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:25 AM

It appears they're already dancing on your keyboard...

luv
06-16-2006, 01:25 AM
You spell like Rausch after 20 beers. :p

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 01:26 AM
I am off tomorrow as well. Cant wait to take some pictures.

Nzoner
06-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Thats because you are a real musician.

Don't kill me Dinny Blues, I keed, I keed.

I should've paid closer attention to Zach's comments,when I was djing there was no karaoke and thank god for that,there's no way in hell I could dj now for a crowd wanting that.

My contract also allowed me to have all I could drink supplied by the host.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:27 AM
You spell like Rausch after 20 beers. :p

I love to double my consonants for some reason. All thanks to the Cranky Crippled Christ I don't have to work under such conditions... :)

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:28 AM
My contract also allowed me to have all I could drink supplied by the host.

And you're saying those days are gone?

Nzoner
06-16-2006, 01:29 AM

I have to unload and inventory a semi full of fireworks starting at 9 a.m.,I am so going to be cussing myself tomorrow.

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:29 AM
You spell like Rausch after 20 beers. :pYou know that is seriously one side effect of my kidney disease. I find myself all too frequently making spelling errors and grammatical screw-ups. I don't know if it is a side effect of one of the medicines causing a slip in concentration or I have just come to care less than I used to, but people will tell you I used to be meticulous about such things when I first started posting, now not so much. Maybe it is just aging.

No matter what it sucks.:(

Nzoner
06-16-2006, 01:31 AM
And you're saying those days are gone?

No,I was trying to say that by being able to drink whatever I wanted I had much more fun,thus the crowd had more fun.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 01:32 AM
Oh ya. Don't get Frank Sinatra's Alfredo Sauce.

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:33 AM
No,I was trying to say that by being able to drink whatever I wanted I had much more fun,thus the crowd had more fun.

Well at least you perceived they were having more fun;)

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Oh ya. Don't get Frank Sinatra's Alfredo Sauce.

That was sort of zoom, out of left field.ROFL

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2006, 01:34 AM
You know that is seriously one side effect of my kidney disease. I find myself all too frequently making spelling errors and grammatical screw-ups. I don't know if it is a side effect of one of the medicines causing a slip in concentration or I have just come to care less than I used to, but people will tell you I used to be meticulous about such things when I first started posting, now not so much. Maybe it is just aging.

No matter what it sucks.:(

Dude, that's brutal. I do hope it's treatable. I just found out that a close friend that's only 34 has Luekemia. Her father lived to be 96 and there's no medical history in their family of such a disease.

Good luck.

Nzoner
06-16-2006, 01:35 AM
Well at least you perceived they were having more fun;)

heh,that did come across a bit arogant,I'm assuming by the large amount of referrals I got that the crowds enjoyed having me as a dj.

Logical
Dude, that's brutal. I do hope it's treatable. I just found out that a close friend that's only 34 has Luekemia. Her father lived to be 96 and there's no medical history in their family of such a disease.

Good luck.

First thanks, but this is nothing compared to Leukemia, damn I hope she goes into remission.

Rausch

Indeed.

Entertainment is like ****ing the audience: if one party doesn't enjoy it neither party does...

|Zach|
That was sort of zoom, out of left field.ROFL
Ya, my mind wanders...

Via ZachIsHere.com

Work got out pretty late last night and as I drove home I felt the hunger sneak up on me. Thats right, I was hungry like the wolf. I pulled into a grocery store and roamed along the aisles waiting for something to inspire my stomach. The winning eats were frozen meat ravioli and a jar of alfredo sauce. But this wasn't just any old alfredo sauce it was "Frank Sinatra's" alfredo sauce. Had a picture of ol' blue eyes himself on the jar.

How could I go wrong with a sauce backed by Sinatra?

It wasn't long before I got back to my home and began preparing the meal. A little boiling water, some carrots as a small side, preparing a drink. The pasta turned out really well so I sat down with this great dinner. I couldn't stop thinking how this sauce and meal was going to fly me to the moon but after taking a few bites the word that best describe my feelings was horror. That sauce tasted so bad. It was salty to a point that was absurd. "It stings the nostrils," as Rod Burgandy would say.

Why did you have to do this to me Frank? I trusted you. If you loyal ZachIsHere.com readers are shopping at your grocery store please remember.

When I was 22. I had a very bad meal...

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:36 AM
heh,that did come across a bit arogant,I'm assuming by the large amount of referrals I got that the crowds enjoyed having me as a dj.I did not mean it that way, that was old school nite crew humor. Having met you I have no doubt they were enjoying themselves. You are great with people.

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Ya, my mind wanders...

Via ZachIsHere.com

BTW, I've tried 3 kinds of Paul Newman's sauce and (despite my love for his acting) it's akin to licking the bottom of a dumpster...

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 01:46 AM
BTW, I've tried 3 kinds of Paul Newman's sauce and (despite my love for his acting) it's akin to licking the bottom of a dumpster...
Ya the stuff isn't bad but seems bland to me.. not my deal.

Logical
06-16-2006, 01:47 AM

I swear companies that make shit for products go, hey lets hire a celebrities name so our product will sell. There may be some exceptions but I have not run into one.

|Zach|
06-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Im in love with this.

http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/products_lemonade.shtml

Rausch
06-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Im in love with this.

http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/products_lemonade.shtml

The Vedic texts state that loves of the senses lead to the erosion of the soul... :)