PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates announces bid for Presidency in '08

Bootlegged
06-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Thought I'd get a jump on that headline.

StcChief
06-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Considering the choices....split the tickets....

Ross Perot redux....

DMAC
06-16-2006, 06:18 AM
This is a happy day for dorks and nerds everywhere.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Could be indicative of another large scale political realignment as were the 3rd Party Candidacies of Wallace and John Anderson.

ct
06-16-2006, 07:26 AM
Anybody with a big name to help move away from 2-party BS is fine by me.

CanadianChief
06-16-2006, 07:27 AM
so that's when the antichrist is going to take over the world.

Duck Dog
06-16-2006, 07:32 AM

I was thinking Revenge of the Nerds.

BigChiefFan
06-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Anybody with a big name to help move away from 2-party BS is fine by me.
I agree. I'm not a fan of Bill Gates, but we NEED a 3rd party on a level playing field with the other two parties.

BWillie
06-16-2006, 07:37 AM
This is serious? Bill Gates for president? He has less charisma than anybody I've ever seen. Is this a joke

BigChiefFan
06-16-2006, 07:38 AM
This is serious? Bill Gates for president? He has less charisma than anybody I've ever seen. Is this a joke
It's not about Charisma-see George W. Bush. It's about MONEY and Bill Gates has plenty of it.

htismaqe
06-16-2006, 07:40 AM
Could be indicative of another large scale political realignment as were the 3rd Party Candidacies of Wallace and John Anderson.

We can only hope, because that's precisely what this country needs.

BWillie
06-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Bush is an idiot, but he has more charisma in his little finger than Bill Gates. And that's not saying much. Bill Gates is the most boring guy I've ever seen

BigChiefFan
06-16-2006, 07:56 AM
Bush is an idiot, but he has more charisma in his little finger than Bill Gates. And that's not saying much. Bill Gates is the most boring guy I've ever seen
Again...M-O-N-E-Y.

Bootlegged
06-16-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.tropiccomics.com/ebay/lcrotnerds2.jpg

ct
06-16-2006, 07:59 AM
I agree. I'm not a fan of Bill Gates, but we NEED a 3rd party on a level playing field with the other two parties.

Agree. Bill Gates can kiss my ass, but I'm all in favor of a trend away from bi-partison politics in the US.

DaFace
06-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Is there a link for this, or was this just supposed to be a hypothetical discussion? I can't find news about this on any news site, and I figured it would be big news.

BigChiefFan
06-16-2006, 08:16 AM
Is there a link for this, or was this just supposed to be a hypothetical discussion? I can't find news about this on any news site, and I figured it would be big news.
Yesterday announced he would stop his day to day operations and take a back seat to work with his charity group. The thread starter said he is getting a JUMP on the story, meaning he believes Gates is getting ready for a presidentail run in the future.

Bootlegged
06-16-2006, 08:20 AM

No news - other than Gates has decided to leave MSFT.

Bill Gates says he's
heading for door

Richest man steps down at Microsoft
to concentrate on vast charity efforts

BY DAVE GOLDINER
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

'Today is not a retirement. It's a reordering of my priorities,' Bill Gates said in announcing his decision to step down from day-to-day work at Microsoft.

The world's richest man is quitting his day job.
Bill Gates announced yesterday he will soon step down from day-to-day work at tech giant Microsoft to concentrate on his charity, which funds the battle against diseases like malaria and AIDS.

"This was a hard decision for me," said Gates, 50, who is worth more than $50 billion. "I'm very lucky to have two passions that I feel are so important and so challenging."

Gates, who founded the world's largest software company with childhood friend Paul Allen three decades ago, had already lightened his corporate workload a bit.

He'll stop working every day by 2008, but will remain as chairman. Steve Ballmer, a college buddy of Gates, is already serving as Microsoft's CEO.

"Today is not a retirement," Gates said. "It's a reordering of my priorities."

DaFace
06-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Yesterday announced he would stop his day to day operations and take a back seat to work with his charity group. The thread starter said he is getting a JUMP on the story, meaning he believes Gates is getting ready for a presidentail run in the future.

Ah. Sorry for my stupidity. On that note, I actually doubt he'll run, but he would be a welcome addition to a high-ranking White House position if nothing else. He's not much fun, but the guy certainly has a good grasp of where the world is going in terms of technology and outsourcing. Both of those topics are going to be big in the next decade, and it would be nice to have someone around that understood it all. On the other hand, I have no idea if he has a clue about any other major topics, so we'll see.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-16-2006, 09:29 AM

Must've closed down a production plant in Canadia eh?

Ultra Peanut
06-16-2006, 09:34 AM
We can only hope, because that's precisely what this country needs.The only thing is, in order for a third party to ascend to a level of power/influence equivalent to that of the two main parties now, it will basically have to become as muddled and pathetic as them.

Still, I'd vote for Gates if he ran as a Perot. Less of a cautious, mediocre candidate who won the nomination for the sake of "electability," at least.

StcChief
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
He could run with the money that fell into the couch cushions.

DaFace
06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
On a side note, where's the usual outcry for this thread to be moved to D.C.? It's not republican or democrat, but it's political nevertheless.

Disclaimer: I don't give a **** where political threads go. I just find it amusing that some threads are met with cries for them to be moved, while this one didn't.

Ultra Peanut
06-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Silly rabbit. This thread wasn't started by jAZ.

Garcia Bronco
06-16-2006, 11:33 AM

WTF does that have to do with anything. He doesn't need to be on a wheaties box.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-16-2006, 11:41 AM
This is hilarious, but I'd vote for Gates. I could see him playing xbox against Rumsfeld in the white house.

Eleazar
06-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Again...M-O-N-E-Y.

Do you think candidates pay for their campaigns out of their own pockets? :spock:

Otter
06-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Seeing as how the president is going to be commander in chief of the most powerful military on earth why the hell isn't military service a prerequisite for running?

DaFace
06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Do you think candidates pay for their campaigns out of their own pockets? :spock:

Ross Perot spent $65.4 million of his own money on his campaign. That may not be the status quo, but there are certainly some who have gotten on the ballot because of it.

Ultra Peanut
06-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Seeing as how the president is going to be commander in chief of the most powerful military on earth why the hell isn't military service a prerequisite for running?Because you'd be excluding criplles, for starters.

Cripple-hater.

el borracho
06-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Anybody know anything about Gates' political ideology?

ct
06-16-2006, 01:06 PM

World Domination, obviously

J Diddy
06-16-2006, 01:16 PM
World Domination, obviously

hail caesar

NJ Chief Fan
06-16-2006, 06:24 PM
if gates is running,and isnt rep or dem ill vote for him especially if hes for legalizing weed :bong:

listopencil
06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Executive Order Number One: Windows becomes the official OS of the USA, all other OS's are now illegal. Monpoly is now just a game and not a legal term.

Executive Order Number Two: Every nerd gets two hot chicks.

penchief
06-16-2006, 07:05 PM

Since when does charisma count? Charisma's not enough to get elected.....is it? The informed and intelligent decision making processes that the American electorate endures must surely trump the phony rhetoric that pervades American politics during these dangerous times in which we live.

Bill Gates for president? I don't know. Isn't he spying on us, too? Maybe that does make him qualified to be prez' of the U.S.

I do believe that we need to shake things up or else we're going to continue experiencing more and more intolerance and hostility toward the desires of the general public.

Discuss Thrower
06-16-2006, 07:07 PM

AFAIK:

For the Estate Tax to the extreme
All for massive amounts of money thrown at impoverished nations.
All for the restriction of Freedom of Speech and Property.

Let's just say he would take down Al Gore if came to liberalism.