PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock mentions Phobia in today's column...

shaneo69
06-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Royals manhandle the media unfairly
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Decorum? According to an unsigned blog on the Royals’ Web site, the Glass family and Royals management stripped radio reporters Rhonda Moss and Bob Fescoe of their media credentials because of their alleged lack of decorum during a news conference.

“Appropriateness of behavior or conduct” is what decorum means.

Given the inappropriateness of David Glass’ behavior in announcing his intention to scapegoat Allard Baird six weeks before firing him, what exactly should’ve been Moss’ and Fescoe’s decorum when Glass emerged from Arkansas to introduce the next man he’ll eventually scapegoat?

The Royals are preaching about professionalism while treating their fans to a steady diet of amateur play and unveiling a cowardly blog to defend a week-old act of cowardice.

I hope this is not the work of Dayton Moore, the new GM, the guy who is supposed to raise the professional standard of the organization.

But it is Moore’s face that is/was pictured with the link trumpeting “Around the Horn” as the new place to get inside information on the Royals.

“With all of the media outlets in today’s world, stories often take on a life of their own,” the blog item closes. “With that in mind, fans should feel they can come to this site to separate fact from fiction and hear the truth directly from the Royals.”

Aaron Babcock, the Royals’ media liaison, said that Moore’s face being plastered on the new blog was a function of MLB.com and not the Royals.

“I was not happy with that,” Babcock said. “That will be coming down. (Dayton) has had nothing to do with this (credentials flap).”

Too late. Damage done.

The Royals have turned two nondescript radio reporters into a national cause célèbre among journalists and broadcasters while smearing the early reputation of their new GM.

Rather than lift the franchise, Moore looks as if he’s going to get swallowed up in the club’s pettiness. He could’ve shown some leadership and ended the front office’s feud with Fescoe and Moss.

Instead, he has done nothing. He might mistakenly believe the Mickey Mouse actions of the Royals’ business and marketing outfits don’t reflect on the baseball side. He’s wrong. The Royals’ anonymous attempt to explain away this public-relations nightmare is a stain on the entire organization, and Glass hired Moore to be the face of the organization.

The blog item reads:

“It is being widely reported that the Kansas City Royals revoked the 2006 season credentials of two radio reporters last week for asking tough questions. The Royals have never stated this as fact. The credentials were not revoked because someone asked tough questions — we get those every day — but for reasons of decorum. The tone, the abruptness, and the forcefulness of which their questions and added commentary were presented, offended many at the news conference.

“The Royals found that behavior to be particularly disruptive of the introduction of the club’s new general manager, the intended purpose of the meeting. … Given several comments by media personnel and others who attended the press conference, the Royals believe the overall situation is now improved.”

The insinuation is that members of the Kansas City media agree with the Royals’ decision to ban Fescoe and Moss. I wish I could say unequivocally that that’s not true. But I can’t. We know that Fescoe’s boss, Kevin Kietzman, blasted Fescoe and Moss on air for their alleged poor decorum. We can only imagine what Kietzman might’ve said to the Royals’ front office privately.

And I know that Moss is not popular with members of the media. She’s a woman competing in a male-dominated profession. Her style is confrontational and abrasive. She makes athletes, coaches and executives uncomfortable and in the process makes members of the media who enter the press box and locker room each day hoping to make friends uncomfortable.

I can relate to Rhonda’s plight. I’ve been viewed as the trouble-making, newcomer minority in the locker room. It’s easy to get left on an island surrounded by people hoping you fail when you’re the unconventional outsider.

This is not a case of a friend coming to the defense of friends. I’m not close with Moss or Fescoe. Rhonda and I used to work together on radio. Other than polite conversation at games or practices, this is the first time I’ve spoken to Rhonda in more than a year.

This is about journalistic freedom. If the Royals get away with banning Moss and Fescoe, why would I not assume that some sports franchise might make an outspoken sportswriter the next target?

Sports franchises and college teams have been peeling back access and attempting to control media coverage during the past decade. They don’t have an interest in disseminating the truth. They want to control how and when they’re questioned about their decisions and by whom.

I’m not comfortable with that. And you shouldn’t be either. The more people asking difficult questions the better.

Moss and Fescoe are not fans who built a Web site and are tickled pink that a pro sports franchise gave them access to a locker room and athletes they idolize. I don’t agree with all of their methods, but I respect the fact that Moss and Fescoe go to games and practices year-round and behave in a consistent manner. They earned the right to ask abrasive questions.

They’ve earned the support of all journalists, including print journalists. I hope that members of the local and national media support Fescoe and Moss in any reasonable way they see fit until the Royals return the credentials. I’m eagerly anticipating the Royals’ next home stand and the end of the NBA finals, so I can come home and properly support Moss and Fescoe.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14839591.htm

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Heh heh. I'll say what I said over on Warpaint. I'm doing what I do for love of the game and love of the team. It's not about money and attention for me. I think it takes a lot of gall to question my motivation but we do know JW does in fact have tons of gall. That's alright, Jason cracks me up. Dude is incredibly entertaining.

morphius
06-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Heh heh. I'll say what I said over on Warpaint. I'm doing what I do for love of the game and love of the team. It's not about money and attention for me. I think it takes a lot of gall to question my motivation but we do know JW does in fact have tons of gall. That's alright, Jason cracks me up. Dude is incredibly entertaining.
Too bad they didn't mention you by name, free advertising is hardly ever bad.

FAX
06-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Whittles appears to have you in his sights, Mr. Monkeylook4foodphobia person.

He cannot seem to write an article on any given subject without randomly casting his bile into unrelated rice bowls. It's time for your site to fight back.

FAX

StcChief
06-17-2006, 09:51 AM
Just send him some BBQ and make nice.

He should know it's about the team.

He's the one looking to move on to a bigger better job.

the Talking Can
06-17-2006, 09:54 AM
he just wants some free WPI premium...don't give it to him...

Rain Man
06-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Phobia should write an article criticizing Jeff George. Let's escalate this thing.

chagrin
06-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Rhonda's a woman?

FAX
06-17-2006, 10:09 AM
Phobia should write an article criticizing Jeff George. Let's escalate this thing.

I totally agree, Mr. Rain Man. I've had enough of this nonsense from Whittles.

The Jeff George article is a great idea. But, we need an overall game plan for taking him down. One good place to start is to look him up on your death searchometer to see how much time we have.

Is there an archive somewhere of Whittles' columns? If he has a petard, we can surely hang him on it.

FAX

milkman
06-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Rhonda's a woman?

Only in the broadest definition.

SLAG
06-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Just send him some BBQ and make nice.

He should know it's about the team.

He's the one looking to move on to a bigger better job.

I hear he prefers to double fist ic cream bars

Rain Man
06-17-2006, 10:52 AM
I totally agree, Mr. Rain Man. I've had enough of this nonsense from Whittles.

The Jeff George article is a great idea. But, we need an overall game plan for taking him down. One good place to start is to look him up on your death searchometer to see how much time we have.

Is there an archive somewhere of Whittles' columns? If he has a petard, we can surely hang him on it.

FAX

Hmm. I show Whitlock dying in a non-motorized land transportation accident at 53.4. Perhaps one of the coolies will trip and he'll fall out of his sedan chair.

Bob Dole
06-17-2006, 11:16 AM
The Jeff George article is a great idea. But, we need an overall game plan for taking him down.

Maybe JW will join in the discussion and offer some suggestions.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I know Whitlock has mentioned lurking at CP before. Has he ever posted here??

nychief
06-17-2006, 11:20 AM
\

big sexy is his name

Hammock Parties
06-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Hmm. I show Whitlock dying in a non-motorized land transportation accident at 53.4. Perhaps one of the coolies will trip and he'll fall out of his sedan chair.

I think he'll meet his fate during a freak rickshaw accident.

SPchief
06-17-2006, 11:24 AM

yes

jwhit
06-17-2006, 11:28 AM
i'm here all the time. check in most days...

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Monkey-Phobia... here's the best thing you can do. For all of us. Hire Rufas Dawes to come on Warpaint and write a rebuttal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-17-2006, 11:34 AM
i'm here all the time. check in most days...

How do you feel about having your own Smilie??

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2006, 11:36 AM
How do you feel about having your own Smilie??
Man, this is too tough a question. Can someone take this guy's posting privileges away for violating CP decorum?

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Man, this is too tough a question. Can someone take this guy's posting privileges away for violating CP decorum?

What the hell was the problem with that?? :D

Otter
06-17-2006, 11:43 AM
and tickled pink

KICK HIS ASS PHIL!!!!

FAX
06-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Maybe JW will join in the discussion and offer some suggestions.

Perhaps, Mr. Bob Dole. But, all I require at this point is access to an archive of his hateful, venomous articles. As a person who believes in rightness and goodness and okness, I shall take it from there.

Do you know where I can find his articles? Published ones, I mean.

FAX

ChiefsCountry
06-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Whitlock wishes he was as good of a journalists as Athan. :)

Baby Lee
06-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Does warpaint have a waiter critique section?

Calcountry
06-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Royals manhandle the media unfairly
JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

Decorum? According to an unsigned blog on the Royals’ Web site, the Glass family and Royals management stripped radio reporters Rhonda Moss and Bob Fescoe of their media credentials because of their alleged lack of decorum during a news conference.

“Appropriateness of behavior or conduct” is what decorum means.

Given the inappropriateness of David Glass’ behavior in announcing his intention to scapegoat Allard Baird six weeks before firing him, what exactly should’ve been Moss’ and Fescoe’s decorum when Glass emerged from Arkansas to introduce the next man he’ll eventually scapegoat?

The Royals are preaching about professionalism while treating their fans to a steady diet of amateur play and unveiling a cowardly blog to defend a week-old act of cowardice.

I hope this is not the work of Dayton Moore, the new GM, the guy who is supposed to raise the professional standard of the organization.

But it is Moore’s face that is/was pictured with the link trumpeting “Around the Horn” as the new place to get inside information on the Royals.

“With all of the media outlets in today’s world, stories often take on a life of their own,” the blog item closes. “With that in mind, fans should feel they can come to this site to separate fact from fiction and hear the truth directly from the Royals.”

Aaron Babcock, the Royals’ media liaison, said that Moore’s face being plastered on the new blog was a function of MLB.com and not the Royals.

“I was not happy with that,” Babcock said. “That will be coming down. (Dayton) has had nothing to do with this (credentials flap).”

Too late. Damage done.

The Royals have turned two nondescript radio reporters into a national cause célèbre among journalists and broadcasters while smearing the early reputation of their new GM.

Rather than lift the franchise, Moore looks as if he’s going to get swallowed up in the club’s pettiness. He could’ve shown some leadership and ended the front office’s feud with Fescoe and Moss.

Instead, he has done nothing. He might mistakenly believe the Mickey Mouse actions of the Royals’ business and marketing outfits don’t reflect on the baseball side. He’s wrong. The Royals’ anonymous attempt to explain away this public-relations nightmare is a stain on the entire organization, and Glass hired Moore to be the face of the organization.

The blog item reads:

“It is being widely reported that the Kansas City Royals revoked the 2006 season credentials of two radio reporters last week for asking tough questions. The Royals have never stated this as fact. The credentials were not revoked because someone asked tough questions — we get those every day — but for reasons of decorum. The tone, the abruptness, and the forcefulness of which their questions and added commentary were presented, offended many at the news conference.

“The Royals found that behavior to be particularly disruptive of the introduction of the club’s new general manager, the intended purpose of the meeting. … Given several comments by media personnel and others who attended the press conference, the Royals believe the overall situation is now improved.”

The insinuation is that members of the Kansas City media agree with the Royals’ decision to ban Fescoe and Moss. I wish I could say unequivocally that that’s not true. But I can’t. We know that Fescoe’s boss, Kevin Kietzman, blasted Fescoe and Moss on air for their alleged poor decorum. We can only imagine what Kietzman might’ve said to the Royals’ front office privately.

And I know that Moss is not popular with members of the media. She’s a woman competing in a male-dominated profession. Her style is confrontational and abrasive. She makes athletes, coaches and executives uncomfortable and in the process makes members of the media who enter the press box and locker room each day hoping to make friends uncomfortable.

I can relate to Rhonda’s plight. I’ve been viewed as the trouble-making, newcomer minority in the locker room. It’s easy to get left on an island surrounded by people hoping you fail when you’re the unconventional outsider.

This is not a case of a friend coming to the defense of friends. I’m not close with Moss or Fescoe. Rhonda and I used to work together on radio. Other than polite conversation at games or practices, this is the first time I’ve spoken to Rhonda in more than a year.

This is about journalistic freedom. If the Royals get away with banning Moss and Fescoe, why would I not assume that some sports franchise might make an outspoken sportswriter the next target?

Sports franchises and college teams have been peeling back access and attempting to control media coverage during the past decade. They don’t have an interest in disseminating the truth. They want to control how and when they’re questioned about their decisions and by whom.

I’m not comfortable with that. And you shouldn’t be either. The more people asking difficult questions the better.

Moss and Fescoe are not fans who built a Web site and are tickled pink that a pro sports franchise gave them access to a locker room and athletes they idolize. I don’t agree with all of their methods, but I respect the fact that Moss and Fescoe go to games and practices year-round and behave in a consistent manner. They earned the right to ask abrasive questions.

They’ve earned the support of all journalists, including print journalists. I hope that members of the local and national media support Fescoe and Moss in any reasonable way they see fit until the Royals return the credentials. I’m eagerly anticipating the Royals’ next home stand and the end of the NBA finals, so I can come home and properly support Moss and Fescoe.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14839591.htm I have to hand it to Jason in this regard. It took a lot of courage to go on Jim Rome is Burning and let everyone see him.

He even endured some smaque about his weight from some of his forum guests of the same ethnicity as he.

It hurts man, I know it does. Take care of yourself Jason, eat the salad, do some cardio. Heck, it will probably help you relate with the dudes you are covering better if you make it your own personal super bowl to shed at least 50 pounds by the end of training camp. 100 pounds by the end of regular season. You can do it man, you are the only one who can do it yourself. I mean this sincerely, I don't want to be reading some more Kirby Puckett stuff about you in a few years.

Hammock Parties
06-17-2006, 01:25 PM
Whitlock has lost quite a bit of weight in recent months.

Bearcat
06-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Do Whitlock and JoPo's managers think we need to read about the same Royals crap everyday, or is there really nothing else to talk about? Perhaps they should learn something about the NBA, NHL, or even the World Cup.

milkman
06-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Do Whitlock and JoPo's managers think we need to read about the same Royals crap everyday, or is there really nothing else to talk about? Perhaps they should learn something about the NBA, NHL, or even the World Cup.

I would think that the primary reason they write about the Royals, and not the NBA or NHL is that the Royals are in KC, and there isn't an NBA or NHL franchise in KC.

They don't write about soccer cause they are trying to sell newspapers.

Calcountry
06-17-2006, 01:41 PM
Rhonda's a woman?ROFL She's the best damned sports writer period.

Calcountry
06-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Whitlock has lost quite a bit of weight in recent months.Good, way to go Jason, keep it up.

:thumb:

p.s. 94 games to go now Chiefie.

Eleazar
06-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Hard to figure what else besides WPI he would be talking about.

I've been a Whitlock hater in the past, but he writes some good pieces. I disagree though about the eye for an eye approach here... true, Glass was classless in how he handled Allard Baird, maybe he didn't have any moral high ground to pull the press passes from, but he does have the right.

Reporters ought to conduct themselves with just a sight smidgen of professionalism, something utterly foreign to Fescoe.

Bearcat
06-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I would think that the primary reason they write about the Royals, and not the NBA or NHL is that the Royals are in KC, and there isn't an NBA or NHL franchise in KC.

They don't write about soccer cause they are trying to sell newspapers.

Well, yeah, but maybe they should even try to write about something other than ownership/management.... like, the games. For a town that voted for a new arena for a possible NBA or NHL team, I'd think there would be a few people interested in what's going on.

True, but there may actually be more people willing to read about soccer than another "Owner/GM/Coach/Royals Suck" article.

BigRock
06-17-2006, 03:21 PM

Whitlock's been writing about the NBA for weeks now. Of his last 10 Star columns, at least 8 have been about basketball.

Rausch
06-17-2006, 03:58 PM
So most of us arent' "REAL fans" and Phil's not a "REAL journalist."

Got it...

|Zach|
06-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Interesting jab in there...

Kind of strange...

FAX
06-17-2006, 05:07 PM

Kind of strange...

Petty, Mr. ZachKC.

To me, in many of his articles, he comes across like an old woman complaining about the cleaning lady.

FAX

stevieray
06-17-2006, 05:14 PM

Kind of strange...

kind of what I thought...Sounds like it bothers him...:shrug:

|Zach|
06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
I have been on record as being a fan of Whitlock articles. I see this as more so a shot at WPI and less at Kloster himself...JW has gone on record ridiculing Athan even calling him a hack...

But what do I know, it was pretty vague.

FAX
06-17-2006, 05:29 PM
That's the whole thing, though, Mr. ZachKC. Whittles could have made his point without bashing anyone else outside the subject of the article. He does this alot, it seems to me.

I can recall several pieces in which, for no apparent reason, he moves outside the topic to denegrate someone or something else. Mr. Bob Dole once explained to me that he does this just to stir things up.

That may be, but, as far as I'm concerned, Whittles is as much a hack as anyone I've read. I am anti-Whittles and proud of it. And, not because he is a fatty either. And, not because he has a problem with Athan. It's because people like Whittles are the reason they invented tool sheds. People who put other people down for no reason are, usually, lacking in self-esteem and believe themselves to be unworthy of respect. In this, I agree with him.

FAX

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 06:13 PM
So most of us arent' "REAL fans" and Phil's not a "REAL journalist."

Got it...

Oh, I'm not. I'll be the first one to admit that. Perhaps one day I'll become one but for now I'm trying to fill a niche. I want fans to become closer to the players, current and past. I think I can achieve that.

Demonpenz
06-17-2006, 07:18 PM
I don't know if you know this, but phil's kind of a big deal.

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Here is what I got out of this-Monkey is Phob??? I thought he was another Matrix when he was baggin on Overhead in the I am having a baby thread.

We need a name change thread so I can keep up with this Soap Opera.

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 07:46 PM

A living legend in his own mind-lol

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 08:29 PM

Big as in fat? I'd agree with that.

Rain Man
06-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Oh, I'm not. I'll be the first one to admit that. Perhaps one day I'll become one but for now I'm trying to fill a niche. I want fans to become closer to the players, current and past. I think I can achieve that.

If the opportunity ever arises, would you let Trent Green know that I'd love to have him and the wife over for dinner next time they're in Denver?

Monkeylook4food
06-17-2006, 08:42 PM
I think we should setup a dinner in Denver for Trent and Julie the next time the Chiefs play the Broncos. Wouldn't that be cool?

BigOlChiefsfan
06-17-2006, 08:48 PM
I think we should setup a dinner in Denver for Trent and Julie the next time the Chiefs play the Broncos. Wouldn't that be cool?

You could serve Burro-eetos.

Eleazar
06-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Here is what I got out of this-Monkey is Phob??? I thought he was another Matrix when he was baggin on Overhead in the I am having a baby thread.

We need a name change thread so I can keep up with this Soap Opera.

did you miss the one where my name changed to Cochise from Redrum69?

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 08:55 PM
did you miss the one where my name changed to Cochise from Redrum69?

Yep missed it-lol

Eleazar
06-17-2006, 08:57 PM
Yep missed it-lol

Sorry to confuse you. I stand by anything I said though.

Fire Me Boy!
06-17-2006, 09:02 PM
I think you could do it better with video. Video is all the rage. :D

Hydrae
06-17-2006, 09:23 PM
I think he'll meet his fate during a freak rickshaw accident.

How old is Whitlock? Rainman has him dying at 53.4 (or was that 54.3?). I just want to get some idea how long until the Chinese invade and we all start riding in rickshaws.