PDA

View Full Version : Welbourn and Money

Mr. Laz
06-17-2006, 11:07 AM
WELBOURN COULD OWE MONEY TO CHIEFS
www.profootballtalk.com

In retiring three years prematurely from the Kansas City Chiefs, tackle John Welbourn might not have only walked away from $5.1 million in future salary. He also might have put himself in the position of owing a nice chunk of money back to the Chiefs.

Even though the Chiefs didn't pay Welbourn's signing bonus, the Chiefs have the ability to enforce any language in his deal requiring him to pay back bonus money if he quits the game. Two years ago, for example, the Dolphins successfully enforced signing bonus forfeiture language in the contract Ricky Williams had signed with the Saints.

In this regard, two factors will control: (1) the language of the contract Welbourn signed with the Eagles; and (2) whether the new CBA restrictions on bonus forfeiture apply retroactively.

Under the new CBA, a player who retires prematurely must only repay the remainder of the signing bonus allocation. In Welbourn's case, that amount is $416,666. But if the Eagles beefed up his contract to require a greater repayment obligation -- and if the changes to the CBA ultimately aren't determined to be retroactive, the final bill could be much bigger.

Assuming that, at a mimum, the contract signed by Welbourn with the Eagles contains a requirement that any remaining bonus allocation be paid in the event of a retirement, he's looking at a final price tag of more than $5.5 million for his early exit -- more than $400,000 of which he'd have to come up with out of his own pocket.

And although there's a feeling in light of the Ricky Williams situation that clauses like this are essentially meaningless because team's aren't inclined to throw good money after bad, the Fins know that they'll never get a dime out of a guy whose only other life ambitions appear to be practicing yoga and impregnating women. In Welbourn's case, the amount owed would be much lower, he plans to become a lawyer, and (as far as we know) he's not required by law to finance the rearing of multiple children.

Finally, there could be a way for Welbourn to avoid paying back anything to the Chiefs. If the contract generally requires repayment for a "default" and includes within the definition of the term both retirement and league-imposed suspensions, and if the Chiefs didn't file a grievance against Welbourn after he was suspended for four games in 2005, he might be able to argue that the team has waived its ability to pursue him for repayment now. Whether he'd be successful is another story -- but with more than 400 large riding on the outcome it makes sense to throw out any plausible argument he can muster.

WELBOURN WALKED OVER MONEY

Although our first reaction upon learning that Chiefs tackle John Welbourn had retired "on my own terms rather than somebody else's" was that he'd possibly tested positive (again) for banned substances, a league source tells us that Welbourn retired simply because he wanted more money, and that the Chiefs wouldn't give it to him.

Welbourn was traded to Kansas City in April 2004 after asking for more money from the Eagles, not getting it, requesting to be moved out of town, and then blasting the team on the radio -- which included questioning the quality of the team's recent drafts.

Philly selected Welbourn in the fourth round of the 1999 draft. In 2001, he committed to the team through 2008, and received a $2.5 million signing bonus in the process.

The raise he didn't get in Philly he also didn't receive in Kansas City, where the Chiefs paid him at a base rate of $1 million in 2004 and $1.2 million in 2005.

With three years remaining on his contract (at salaries of $1.4 million, $1.7 million, and $2.0 million), the Chiefs had no reason to give in, especially since he'd done little in two years with the team to merit more coin. Injuries limited Welbourn to only 10 games in 2004, and a four-game suspension for violation of the steroids policy kept him to 12 appearances in 2005.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

hypersensitiveZO6
06-17-2006, 11:12 AM
that $$$ would be nice.

nychief
06-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I am glad he is gone. what an idiot. Time for the Turleys and Stallings to step up.

morphius
06-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I remember he wanted out of Philly cause he wanted more money, he got traded and never got a new contract. A forced payback would be hysterical, even as a lawyer its gonna be hard to make that kind of money up.

StcChief
06-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Go be a lawyer Welbourne...

The 1.5M cap relief and 400K back pay could go along way to bringing in someone else.....

I hope Turley if fine and does well, but without a solid RT our running and play action game could be limited.

I still think they need to look for another Vet Tackle

FringeNC
06-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Welbourn wanted out of Philly because of money. If I remember correctly, CP indicated that Welbourn would get starters' money if he did in fact start and play well.

I have a feeling the Welbourn feels he has been lied to by CP.

I'd now guess the whole Turley thing was a game of chicken between Carl and Welbourn. Carl followed through on his threat to sign Turley.

Let's just hope RT isn't a weak spot this year. Also, I thought Welbourn was in our long-term plan to take over for Shields. Guess not. Carl seems to think Welbourn is easily replaced. I hope he's right.

'Hamas' Jenkins
06-17-2006, 11:43 AM
F*ck that steroid popping motherf*cker for leaving us high and dry. Not only should we get that money back, we should take him down to Prospect and hit him in the head with a pipe.

ChiefaRoo
06-17-2006, 12:29 PM
For some reason I am not at all worried about Turley at RT. I'm sure the KC brass knew about Welbourne ahead of time and they looked really hard at Turley who has obviously passed KC's evaluation. I would like to see the money spent on Ty Law or a trade for a receiver who can make some impact.

For the record I find Welbourne to be illogical. Lets discuss. I want more money so I'll demand it. Ok, you won't give it to me so I'll quit and I'll get no money plus it's possible that I will have to pay back some of my signing bonus. Sounds like a meathead move to me. Fascinating.

NJ Chief Fan
06-17-2006, 12:51 PM
we should get our draft pick back from the eagles!!!!now!!!@!

Mr. Laz
06-17-2006, 01:17 PM
we should get our draft picks back from the eagles!!!!now!!!@!

a 3rd and a 5th iirc

CupidStunt
06-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Correct. But we won't.

Bwana
06-17-2006, 01:30 PM
F*ck that steroid popping motherf*cker for leaving us high and dry. Not only should we get that money back, we should take him down to Prospect and hit him in the head with a pipe.

Hell just froze over Jenkins, I agree with you 100%. :hmmm:

jaxchiefsclub
06-17-2006, 04:18 PM
Would this give the CHIEFS any extra coin to influence Law to come to KC?

Mr. Laz
06-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Would this give the CHIEFS any extra coin to influence Law to come to KC?
as far as i know they already have plenty of cap room for Ty Law

it's all about whether Lamar Hunt wants to spend the cash or not.

Consistent1
06-17-2006, 06:15 PM

Yep, what a loser. All the other guys know the half-life charts and clearance times down cold. Welbourne is just a fool...

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Like I said many times I am glad Roidburn is gone. I was sick of him when he got here-missed games because he was hurt, then roids, now this.

Now Junior, Simms and Bell need to be shown the door.

HemiEd
06-17-2006, 07:09 PM
as far as i know they already have plenty of cap room for Ty Law

it's all about whether Lamar Hunt wants to spend the cash or not.

and sign the draft choices, correct?

PastorMikH
06-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Welbourn wanted out of Philly because of money. If I remember correctly, CP indicated that Welbourn would get starters' money if he did in fact start and play well.

I have a feeling the Welbourn feels he has been lied to by CP.

Let's see, the guy missed 4 games because of substance abuse AND most of our running running production is from the LEFT side, AND the fact that he was replaced and not really missed when a backup took his spot last year, I'm thinking that Mr. Welbourn can sit for the next 3 seasons and then look for another team after his contract finally dies. (At least I'm assuming that even if he retires we hold the rights to him through 2008).

Either way, I don't think he will be too hard to replace and he isn't worth the $.

Halfcan
06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Well said-Amen!