PDA

View Full Version : $1500 HD Plasma/DLP/LCD TV's... Comments, thoughts, suggestions...

jAZ
06-17-2006, 11:57 PM
I've been looking for a new HD TV... I've got a $1500 budget and I want at least 42" screen.

I'm a complete neophyte on these things and I only know what I've been able to pick up in the last few days...

I've learned that with any projection screen (LCD, DLP, etc), I'll need to replace the bulbs in 3-4 years. Also, I guess they have side angle problems to some degree. But they are cheaper than the straight flat-panel like plasma and LCD.

I'm grateful for any thoughts in general. I'll be posting a few deals/models I've come across online or in the store. Any comments on those deals is welcome too.

jAZ
06-17-2006, 11:59 PM
When I start looking at the specs, I start getting confused because I have not idea what's important and what's just mumbo-jumbo...

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=329255&prDeTab=2#A

42" Akai HD Plasma TV ($1400)

Display:
TV system
Screen size: 42”
Pixel resolution: 1,024 (H) x 1,024 (V) native resolution for optimal HDTV performance
Contrast ratio: 3,000:1
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Brightness: 1,400 cd/m2
Viewing angle: 160° H/V
Response time:
HDTV compatible: 480p, 720p, 1080i input
Picture:

Digital comb filter: Digital 2D
Film mode pull down conversion: Yes
Color temperature control: Yes
“GAMMA” correction: Yes
Wide mode: Video: 5 modes (fill all, 4:3, letter box wide, anamorphic); PC: 5 modes (fill all, force 4:3, letter box, wide, anamorphic)
Audio:

Audio power: 20W
Audio outputs: 10W x 2
Tone control
Convenience:

OSD language: English
Closed caption decoder: Yes
V-chip parental control: Yes
VGA port provided for connection to computer
Input Terminals:

HDMI input: HDMI connector x1
S-video input: Mini din 4 pin x1
Composite video input: RCA x1
Component video input (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) RCA x 2 sets
Stereo audio input: RCA x 5 sets
Analog RGB input: D-sub 15 pin x1
RS-232 input: D-sub 9 pin x1
Output Terminals:

Audio output: RCA x1
Power:

Power source: 120V, 60Hz
Power consumption: 300w
Dimensions and Weight:

Dimensions: 29.7"H x 42.2"W x 5.2"D
Weight: 75 lbs.

Halfcan
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Only tv advice I can give you is-don't throw a half full beer at the screen when the Refs screw the Chiefs out of a sure TD!

Miles
06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
At that price point DLP would be the best value. Unless you are really sold on the plasma look/compact size, I would probably suggest avoiding them in that range. The inexpensive ones are geting better but they still do not have as sharp of image as DLP for the same cost.

You could likely find something like this on sale at your 1500 budget.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-2%2c18-2022%24DLP%2c6-419%2c3-15&showAdvanced=true&id=31421

Something in that range now:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-2%2c18-2022%24DLP%2c6-419%2c3-15&showAdvanced=true&id=31420

jAZ
06-18-2006, 12:12 AM
I've found a bunch of favorable user comments for this one (Akai) here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=636385&page=2&pp=30

Here's an FAQ on plasma TV's from Akai that was somewhat useful...
http://www.akaiusa.com/files/faq/Plasma%20FAQs.pdf

jAZ
06-18-2006, 12:18 AM
At that price point DLP would be the best value. Unless you are really sold on the plasma look/compact size, I would probably suggest avoiding them in that range. The inexpensive ones are geting better but they still do not have as sharp of image as DLP for the same cost.

You could likely find something like this on sale at your 1500 budget.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-2%2c18-2022%24DLP%2c6-419%2c3-15&showAdvanced=true&id=31421

Something in that range now:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-2%2c18-2022%24DLP%2c6-419%2c3-15&showAdvanced=true&id=31420
I've seen both of these at Amazon. I've been looking at them. One question based on this comment would be... what's the distinction between sharpness and brightness and contrast? And what do I look for in terms of specification to compare sharpness with other sets? Anything?

Miles
06-18-2006, 12:20 AM
I've found a bunch of favorable user comments for this one (Akai) here...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=636385&page=2&pp=30

Here's an FAQ on plasma TV's from Akai that was somewhat useful...
http://www.akaiusa.com/files/faq/Plasma%20FAQs.pdf

Without reading through that avs thread, a few of the major drawbacks of budget plasma is low black levels, loack of connections, and usually cannot display full 1080i. Its a tough price point for a plasma even with the dropping prices. If it sounds nice from the AVS thread it may be good choice.

Logical
06-18-2006, 12:24 AM
When I start looking at the specs, I start getting confused because I have not idea what's important and what's just mumbo-jumbo...

...You should never buy a TV based on Specs. The way to buy is to view the pictures (I suggest taking a DVD and comparing the same show on each type). In the end what will make you happiest is what you feel has the best picture. Then you want to decide on features that are must haves. Finally IMO the best combination of picture, features and meeting your budget is what you should buy.

Miles
06-18-2006, 12:26 AM
I've seen both of these at Amazon. I've been looking at them. One question based on this comment would be... what's the distinction between sharpness and brightness and contrast? And what do I look for in terms of specification to compare sharpness with other sets? Anything?

You may check some of the FAQs at at AVS for a better explination than I can give you.

I really don't know the how well those stats compare across the technology lines. Bascially my opinon, which may be off, is that the specs are not necissarily what makes for a good picture. Its really the sum of the finished product and its quality.

Miles
06-18-2006, 12:28 AM
You should never buy a TV based on Specs. The way to buy is to view the pictures (I suggest taking a DVD and comparing the same show on each type). In the end what will make you happiest is what you feel has the best picture. Then you want to decide on features that are must haves. Finally IMO the best combination of picture, features and meeting your budget is what you should buy.

Excellent advice. What looks best to you is what is most important.

Bob Dole
06-18-2006, 03:49 AM
Bob Dole found a nice 12" b&w Zenith at a garage sale a few weeks ago for $5. The picture is sharp and it's stood the test of time. Bob Dole is extremely happy with it.

Rausch
06-18-2006, 04:56 AM
Bob Dole found a nice 12" b&w Zenith at a garage sale a few weeks ago for $5. The picture is sharp and it's stood the test of time. Bob Dole is extremely happy with it.

Knowing all well 'n good this post was rooted in sarcasm I sold my original 12" B&W last year.

My first TV.

Had stickers from Cap'n Krunch and Cap'n USA and even a few Pac-Man cards (the baseball card stickers out in like 86') on that ugly box.

*sigh*

The only way this can be made right is by a SUPER TECMO BOWL TOUCHDOWN with epileptic style flashing lettering and 48-4 finish...

Big Dick Jones
06-18-2006, 05:23 AM
Is it Hi Def?

KevB
06-18-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Forums is a great place to start your research. I highly recommend buying from Costco. They have an outstanding return policy. I just purchased a 50" plasma that I couldn't be happier with.

Vegas_Dave
06-18-2006, 08:26 AM
You definately need to go see them in person. Low Cost Plasma's are usually only EDTV in that price range and like someone else said, low black levels (that look more like Grey).

I would HIGHLY suggest DLP. I have the 42" Samsung DLP and frankly, as long as you are looking at it at viewing level, I have no "side view" loss of picture. I have seats up to a 150 degree circle of viewing (75 degrees from center on either side) around my DLP with absolutely zero picture quality loss.

Now if you set it too high or too low from a straight on sitting viewing angle, you can run into a little brightness loss there, but the picture is still great.

My model, I bought at $1498 many many months ago.

Infidel Goat
06-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I'd save a little more money and consider getting this one:

woo-hoo (http://www.bestbuyplasma.com/plasma/Product.asp_X_SKU_Y_KDSR50XBR1_Z_REF_Y_GOOBBP2)

--Infidel Goat

Raiderhater58
06-18-2006, 09:06 AM
when ready to buy go check out www.buydig.com I bought my Toshiba 56" DLP from them for around 1200 less than the stores where selling them. I bought the 56HM195, Sears sold the same model for $3100. I ordered my TV on a Tuesday it was at my house by Friday

Infidel Goat
06-18-2006, 09:19 AM
when ready to buy go check out www.buydig.com I bought my Toshiba 56" DLP from them for around 1200 less than the stores where selling them. I bought the 56HM195, Sears sold the same model for $3100. I ordered my TV on a Tuesday it was at my house by Friday

I'd suggest using froogle to find the company with the best deal. On-line retailers (assuming they are well reviewed and legitimate) are almost always considerably less expensive than brick and mortar stores--especially BB and CC.

You'll have to add shipping charges (which aren't cheap), but you probably won't have to pay taxes which helps.

The buydig mentioned above does not carry Sony and won't necessarily be the least expensive legitimate on-line retailer for many tvs.

--Infidel Goat

dirk digler
06-18-2006, 09:25 AM
You definately need to go see them in person. Low Cost Plasma's are usually only EDTV in that price range and like someone else said, low black levels (that look more like Grey).

I would HIGHLY suggest DLP. I have the 42" Samsung DLP and frankly, as long as you are looking at it at viewing level, I have no "side view" loss of picture. I have seats up to a 150 degree circle of viewing (75 degrees from center on either side) around my DLP with absolutely zero picture quality loss.

Now if you set it too high or too low from a straight on sitting viewing angle, you can run into a little brightness loss there, but the picture is still great.

My model, I bought at $1498 many many months ago.

I am looking for a new TV as well and I really have decided on a Samsung DLP. Everywhere I have been the Samsung's picture is alot better than any of the others.

So are you happy with your Samsung?

Raiderhater58
06-18-2006, 10:58 AM
no shipping , no tax

jAZ
06-18-2006, 11:08 AM
no shipping , no tax
Huh?

jlscorpio
06-18-2006, 11:23 AM
a few places have no shipping. Best Buy and Circuit City both have free shipping if you order online. I'm likely buying a Samsung plasma in about 6 months. Samsung pretty much is the best brand across the board (Plasma, LCD, DLP) when it comes to HDTV. Pioneer is nice but very spendy, and I have heard good things about Panasonic and Toshiba as well. Ultimately, its whatever TV you fall in love with. I'd probably stay away from EDTV models, and as far as specs go, pay attention to what the contrast ratio is.

jAZ
06-18-2006, 12:25 PM
So how much does the DPL bulb cost to replace on a Samsung 4666W? Or where do I look to find out?

Valiant
06-18-2006, 01:33 PM

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=329255&prDeTab=2#A

42" Akai HD Plasma TV ($1400)

Display:
TV system
Screen size: 42”
Pixel resolution: 1,024 (H) x 1,024 (V) native resolution for optimal HDTV performance
Contrast ratio: 3,000:1
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Brightness: 1,400 cd/m2
Viewing angle: 160° H/V
Response time:
HDTV compatible: 480p, 720p, 1080i input
Picture:

Digital comb filter: Digital 2D
Film mode pull down conversion: Yes
Color temperature control: Yes
“GAMMA” correction: Yes
Wide mode: Video: 5 modes (fill all, 4:3, letter box wide, anamorphic); PC: 5 modes (fill all, force 4:3, letter box, wide, anamorphic)
Audio:

Audio power: 20W
Audio outputs: 10W x 2
Tone control
Convenience:

OSD language: English
Closed caption decoder: Yes
V-chip parental control: Yes
VGA port provided for connection to computer
Input Terminals:

HDMI input: HDMI connector x1
S-video input: Mini din 4 pin x1
Composite video input: RCA x1
Component video input (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) RCA x 2 sets
Stereo audio input: RCA x 5 sets
Analog RGB input: D-sub 15 pin x1
RS-232 input: D-sub 9 pin x1
Output Terminals:

Audio output: RCA x1
Power:

Power source: 120V, 60Hz
Power consumption: 300w
Dimensions and Weight:

Dimensions: 29.7"H x 42.2"W x 5.2"D
Weight: 75 lbs.

I would stay away from akai and that price point on plasma's.. You are asking for trouble after your 30day return guarantee...

DLP's will give you the best bang for your buck at that price range for quality... You can go ahead and get the plasma just to say you have one, but you have a great chance of having problems with it...

jAZ
06-18-2006, 04:15 PM
I would stay away from akai and that price point on plasma's.. You are asking for trouble after your 30day return guarantee...

DLP's will give you the best bang for your buck at that price range for quality... You can go ahead and get the plasma just to say you have one, but you have a great chance of having problems with it...
So last week it was shopping around online. Yesterday I visited Circuit City, Best Buy and Sam's Club. That's when I settled on either the Akai above or the Samsung DLP 46" also above.

Today I stopped in at CostCo and I might have added a new front runner.

It turns out that CostCo's return policy is unbelivable. They have an unlimited (time) 100% satisfaction guarantee return policy. If anything breaks (1 year, 5 years, 10 years) they will take the product back (with receipt) and credit you the original purchase price.

That gives me a lot more confidence in a lower price Plasma, knowing if it burns out, dies, looks weird or whatever, I can just bring it back.

So while I was there I found the Vizio 42" Plasma that's $1499. It's pretty decent and the online comments have been good-to-great. The image quality was fanstistic in the store. Noticibly better than the Samsung DLP which they also had.

I'm poking around now to make sure this is the best thing for me, but at this point its looking pretty good to me.

jAZ
06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
That CostCo return policy saves about $325-$550 between shipping costs ($125-150) and extended warranty ($200-399).

svuba
06-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Plasma hater eh? No need to justify your purchase by spreading misinformation.

Exactly what kind of data do you have that would suggest that the Akai TVs have a high failure rate? Has there been some documented history of people with failures of these tvs? Do you have some personal history with Akai plasma TVs. "you have a great chance of having problems with it" - - Exactly what facts are you basing this opinion on?

It is funny that there seems to be a group of plasma haters out there who spread misinformation about the technology, for instance one of the more common misconceptions is that the screen life is short, which may have been true for the very very early models, but the screenlife has been 60,000 hours on most plasmas for a long time now (6 hours per day for 27 years) yet you still hear people advising others not to buy plasma due to low screen life.

I prefer plasma (do not own one) over projection models because of the viewing angle problem. My BIL bought a 50" LCD projection, and the picture is really nice if you are sitting on the couch at the same level as the screen, but if you sit on the floor the picture looks horrible. He had a bunch of people over to watch a movie, and half of them couldn't really see it because there was only so much coach space.

Kerberos
06-19-2006, 09:43 AM
So last week it was shopping around online. Yesterday I visited Circuit City, Best Buy and Sam's Club. That's when I settled on either the Akai above or the Samsung DLP 46" also above.

When I was selling TV's for a living MOST of the Akia models were made by Samsung.

When you called the warranty center they answered the phone as Samsung so that pretty much tells you who the manufacturer is!

Akai was a good affordable TV when we were selling rear projections.

DLP is a much better picture and is a good choice. If I were going to go with a new HD TV right now I would opt for the DLP just because of the prices that have come down considerably since I was selling them.

Good luck with your new purchase!

Vegas_Dave
06-19-2006, 10:16 AM
I am looking for a new TV as well and I really have decided on a Samsung DLP. Everywhere I have been the Samsung's picture is alot better than any of the others.

So are you happy with your Samsung?

Love it. I do wish it had more then 1 HDMI input but oh well. The only area that really takes some getting used to is whites & VERY bright colors.

Beacuse of the nature of the way that DLP technology works (miniature mirrors rapidly moving their orientation to reflect the color at different angles), you can get a "shimmering" look to it... bright white specifically.

However, once you get used to it, you dont even notice.

Also, make sure that you get whatever HD programming you can because Standard Definition looks like crap once you get used to HD.

Lastly, make sure that whatever cable/satellite box you use allows you to setup displaying in 720p. I know my cable box was set to only output in 1080i be default. This is fine for high detail... but for sports and fast action, 1080i sucks. You get a digital choppy picture with 1080i. With 720p, the detail may not be quite as high (though most cannot tell the difference) but when you get high action, you dont get the choppy picture.

With my cable box, I had to download the full PDF manual from the makers site (as Cox did not provide a FULL one) and was then able to turn on this feature. So now, my FOX, ABC, ESPN & UHD HD channels are all showing in 720p (since they broadcast in that format).

dirk digler
06-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Love it. I do wish it had more then 1 HDMI input but oh well. The only area that really takes some getting used to is whites & VERY bright colors.

Beacuse of the nature of the way that DLP technology works (miniature mirrors rapidly moving their orientation to reflect the color at different angles), you can get a "shimmering" look to it... bright white specifically.

However, once you get used to it, you dont even notice.

Also, make sure that you get whatever HD programming you can because Standard Definition looks like crap once you get used to HD.

Lastly, make sure that whatever cable/satellite box you use allows you to setup displaying in 720p. I know my cable box was set to only output in 1080i be default. This is fine for high detail... but for sports and fast action, 1080i sucks. You get a digital choppy picture with 1080i. With 720p, the detail may not be quite as high (though most cannot tell the difference) but when you get high action, you dont get the choppy picture.

With my cable box, I had to download the full PDF manual from the makers site (as Cox did not provide a FULL one) and was then able to turn on this feature. So now, my FOX, ABC, ESPN & UHD HD channels are all showing in 720p (since they broadcast in that format).

Thanks for the info.

KevB
06-19-2006, 10:55 AM

Today I stopped in at CostCo and I might have added a new front runner.

It turns out that CostCo's return policy is unbelivable. They have an unlimited (time) 100% satisfaction guarantee return policy. If anything breaks (1 year, 5 years, 10 years) they will take the product back (with receipt) and credit you the original purchase price.

That gives me a lot more confidence in a lower price Plasma, knowing if it burns out, dies, looks weird or whatever, I can just bring it back.

So while I was there I found the Vizio 42" Plasma that's $1499. It's pretty decent and the online comments have been good-to-great. The image quality was fanstistic in the store. Noticibly better than the Samsung DLP which they also had.

I'm poking around now to make sure this is the best thing for me, but at this point its looking pretty good to me.

I spoke of the Costco return policy in a previous post, and it's the real deal (as I've used it). I returned a plasma 5 months after purchase with the receipt, and they took it back no questions asked.

As for the TV.....I purchased the 50" Vizio from Costco when I returned the 42" Maxent. The 50" Vizio received very good professional reviews, and the AVS forum also had very good things to say. I've got it hanging on my wall at home and it's amazing. Blacks are very good....watching a movie like Batman Begins, which is very dark, and it performed very well. The 50" is going for the ridiculous price of $1969 right now, so if you can up your budget a little, I'd highly recommend it. This same TV was $2600 only 4 months ago. It's also got 2 HDMI inputs, which is very helpful.

jAZ
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
So I got the Vizio 42 yesterday and set it up last night. The picture is great and in fact I was able to pick up the NBA game in HD on ABC. I was able to flip between the regular broadcast and the HD Broadcast and it's pretty amazing the difference. I've never understood the difference, but I could get sick of SD pretty quickly as I get spoiled with HD.

I have to say that I'm not yet very happy with the sound quality. When I had it going through the TV's speakers it was very shill and piercing. I went in and turned the bass up and the treble down and it was better... but it still sounds sort of hollow.

I then configured up my JVC tuner as the audio (using the analog out audio ports on the back) and it sounded slightly better, but still pretty crappy.

I suspect that there is some opitmal configuration that I'm missing. Maybe if I can, I'll post the in/out ports on my defices and see if anyone has any feed back as to the best confuguration.

jAZ
06-19-2006, 12:11 PM
It's also got 2 HDMI inputs, which is very helpful.
The 42 that I got only has 1 which isn't great, but it came with component inputs, which was what they were using at CostCo and it looked good. My issue with HDMI/Vizio is that I hooked up the new HD up-convert DVD player I bought using the HDMI port, and I'm able to get the video to work, but it doesn't have any sound. If I plug in the optical cable into the tuner, then I get both, but I thought the HDMI was supposed to carry both audio and video signals. I'm not sure why it's not working.

Any thoughts?

Vegas_Dave
06-19-2006, 12:18 PM
The 42 that I got only has 1 which isn't great, but it came with component inputs, which was what they were using at CostCo and it looked good. My issue with HDMI/Vizio is that I hooked up the new HD up-convert DVD player I bought using the HDMI port, and I'm able to get the video to work, but it doesn't have any sound. If I plug in the optical cable into the tuner, then I get both, but I thought the HDMI was supposed to carry both audio and video signals. I'm not sure why it's not working.

Any thoughts?

HDMI carries both video and audio in true Digital format. However, not all HDMI units will work 100% with each other. For instance, my HDMI from my cable box to my TV carries both signals and my TV will give me both video and audio off of the cable... however, it will not give me Dolby Digital sound and instead gives me a 2 channel PCM audio.

If you are having to use the optical cable, so what. If it works then great.

You may want to play around with settings on the DVD player. It may not be setup to send audio on HDMI. Also, make sure that you set your DVD player to output in Progressive mode and NOT Interlace.

KevB
06-19-2006, 12:24 PM

Any thoughts?

I believe this speaks to the "handshake issue" that you'll read a lot about on the AVS Forums. Vegas Dave pretty much explains it just below.

As for the sound.....keep in mind that 90% (?) of the people that buy big screen plasmas do so with the intent of never using the TV's speakers as the audio source. Everyone has a surround setup of some sort. Having said that, I would think the sound would be about as good as a typical CRT.

Congrats on the purchase. One tip: be sure to stretch out your screen so you don't have bars on the sides. Burn in is a very real threat, especially the first 100 or so hours.

Vegas_Dave
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I believe this speaks to the "handshake issue" that you'll read a lot about on the AVS Forums. Vegas Dave pretty much explains it just below.

As for the sound.....keep in mind that 90% (?) of the people that buy big screen plasmas do so with the intent of never using the TV's speakers as the audio source. Everyone has a surround setup of some sort. Having said that, I would think the sound would be about as good as a typical CRT.

Congrats on the purchase. One tip: be sure to stretch out your screen so you don't have bars on the sides. Burn in is a very real threat, especially the first 100 or so hours.

Burn In Depends on the TV. According to Samsung, there is no Burn In risk whatsoever on DLP. This is in their own owners manual that comes with the TV.

I personally am buying a new home right now (wont be done for 6 - 8 months) that I am having the flush mounted surround sound system built in. I cant wait to get that hooked up with my TV at which time I will fork over the $500 for the HD-DVD player as well.

Calcountry
06-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Excellent advice. What looks best to you is what is most important.Trust him, he learned the hardway.

KevB
06-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Burn In Depends on the TV. According to Samsung, there is no Burn In risk whatsoever on DLP. This is in their own owners manual that comes with the TV.

I personally am buying a new home right now (wont be done for 6 - 8 months) that I am having the flush mounted surround sound system built in. I cant wait to get that hooked up with my TV at which time I will fork over the $500 for the HD-DVD player as well.

He bought a plasma, which definitely has burn in risk (trust me on this, I learned the hard way) ;)

To the OP, just be sure to keep your picture stretched with no static images on the screen for long periods of time (for example, CNN scroll at the bottom). Risk lessens after the first 100 or so hours of use.

LCD and DLP don't have burn in risk. One of their advantages over plasma.

Miles
06-19-2006, 02:10 PM
This article has a pretty good summary of the burn in issue. Its not that big of a deal but as KevB said you may want to be careful when it is new.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-burnin.html