PDA

View Full Version : Rules question..

UKMike
06-18-2006, 09:16 AM
This is something that's bugged me for a while. In rugby, which football is descended from, players can kick the ball from there hands whenever they like, could you do it in football? Obiously theres punting, but when you punt you cant regain possession without the other team fumbling, right?! So what would happen if, say, a RB is running loose in the secondary with 2 guys to beat but no room to do it in, could they kick it past them so that they could run onto it and score? I understand you'd probably never want to cause theres a decent chance you'd lose the ball, but could you?

JBucc
06-18-2006, 09:27 AM
I doubt it.

penguinz
06-18-2006, 09:28 AM
They need to introduce the scrum into american football.

Big Dick Jones
06-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Good question. You can punt the ball from behind the LOS on any down (called a quick kick). I'm guessing it would be a fumble if it were beyond the LOS.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Anytime you kick the football, you lose possession. So whether it would be lawful or not, it would be silly. Kind of like this question.

OldTownChief
06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
No

chief52
06-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Anytime you kick the football, you lose possession. So whether it would be lawful or not, it would be silly. Kind of like this question.

No, that is not true. You only lose possesion of a punt once it has crossed the line of scrimmage. If you punt and the ball does not cross the line of scrimmage the punting team can pick up the ball and advance it. In other words, you can pick up a first down by picking up your own punt. This is something you will see on a blocked punt or field goal.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-18-2006, 11:21 AM
No, that is not true. You only lose possesion of a punt once it has crossed the line of scrimmage. If you punt and the ball does not cross the line of scrimmage the punting team can pick up the ball and advance it. In other words, you can pick up a first down by picking up your own punt. This is something you will see on a blocked punt or field goal.

I stand corrected. Extremely rare, but very true.

Rukdafaidas
06-18-2006, 11:24 AM
You can do a dropkick.
http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release.jsp?release_id=1481

chief52
06-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I stand corrected. Extremely rare, but very true.
True...very rare. I would think kicking the ball beyond the line of scrimmage would be a penalty and the defense could either decline it and take the result of the play or penalize the punting team from the point of the illegal kick. Just my guess...

Rain Man
06-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Not meaning to nitpick, but a kickoff is a live kick, so you don't lose possession until the other team touches it. At least, I think that's how it works.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Not meaning to nitpick, but a kickoff is a live kick, so you don't lose possession until the other team touches it. At least, I think that's how it works.

Another good point. Okay I revise my statement. Most of the time when you kick the football it is to give it away. Only in instances of onsides kicks do you kick the football for personal gain.

crispystl
06-18-2006, 04:05 PM
I dont think this is legal because if this were true then why couldn't a player who catches a pass with no time left on the clock the twenty down one point and three people waiting at the endzone why wouldn't he just be able to kick in the winning field goal????
That is assuming the wr rb could kick worth a shit

Mr. Laz
06-18-2006, 04:14 PM
people from the UK ..... always trying to change the rules of a game they just don't have the ability to
understand. :shake: :shake:

tsk tsk :p

NJ Chief Fan
06-18-2006, 04:15 PM
can you use the drop kick instead of a fg?

that would be a cool trick play, your down by a couple and you send your offense back on the field instead of the kicking unit and your qb in shotgun formation uses the drop kick

crispystl
06-18-2006, 04:17 PM
can you use the drop kick instead of a fg?

that would be a cool trick play, your down by a couple and you send your offense back on the field instead of the kicking unit and your qb in shotgun formation uses the drop kick
i guess but why would nt you just line up and kick the field goal with the kicker who has a much better chance of making it??????????

NJ Chief Fan
06-18-2006, 04:22 PM
i guess but why would nt you just line up and kick the field goal with the kicker who has a much better chance of making it??????????
i dont know just for shits n giggles and to add salt to an open wound...how cool would it be to say haha we just beat you by having our qb do a drop kick on your ass

crispystl
06-18-2006, 04:45 PM
i dont know just for shits n giggles and to add salt to an open wound...how cool would it be to say haha we just beat you by having our qb do a drop kick on your ass
Well I guess Morniwheng deferred in overtime so ya know