PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated CREDENTIAL-GATE

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 09:12 AM
ST. LOUIS COLUMNIST CALLS CREDENTIAL-GATE 'BLUNDER OF THE MONTH'

Sports Illustrated is expected to do a story about the Kansas City Royals and the team's misguided decision to pull credentials of two radio reporters. Until then the story continues to spread across the country.

Columnist Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (6/19) says he was surprised the Royals came out with a blog to try to justify its actions:

BLUNDER OF THE MONTH

The Royals were 18-49 through Saturday's loss, a 7-2 thrashing from the Astros. They are on pace to lose 100 games for the fourth time in five years.

Kansas City hasn't enjoyed postseason play since 1985, when Don Denkinger aided their World Series conquest of the Cardinals. The only time Kauffman Stadium draws a decent crowd is when the Cardinals visit in interleague play.

So this franchise should suck up to the local media, not aggravate it. When the team revoked the press credentials of Bob Fescoe of WHB and Rhonda Moss of KCSP - for aggressive behavior at GM Dayton Moore's introductory news conference - the Royals did those two a favor.

Fescoe and Moss have an ironclad excuse to avoid Royals losses for the rest of the season. And they also have the green light to hammer team management mercilessly for the rest of the season, without ever having to see their targets face to face.

Oddly, the Royals front office didn't realize its mistake. Rather than restoring the credentials, the franchise has attempted to justify the ban.

The Royals even started a front-office blog on their official Web site, offering their own spin. Here was the explanation for exiling the two radio types: "The credentials were not revoked because someone asked tough questions - we get those every day - but for reasons of decorum. The tone, the abruptness, and the forcefulness of which their questions and added commentary were presented, offended many at the news conference."

By "everyone," the team means owner David Glass and his son Dan. Here is how Kansas City Star columnist Jason Whitlock viewed the debacle:

"The Royals turned Fescoe and Moss into martyrs, and in the process they exposed the owner and his son as buffoons who don't have the necessary tummy to lead a Boy Scout group - let alone a major-league franchise."

Brock
06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't cry if Glass was assassinated.

SPchief
06-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Notice the St. Loser reporter had to bring up the Denkinger call. Hey bud, THERE WAS STILL GAME 7

sedated
06-19-2006, 09:57 AM
f*ck St. Louis

FringeNC
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
The Glass boys were never liked, but weren't reviled like this. Posnanski really opened the floodgates when he started bashing them. Couldn't happen to more deserving folk.

The one thing I didn't know until lately was that Glass is hated within MLB circles, also. Gammons had the quote from the GM that hinted Selig rigged the sale of the Royals and handed it to Glass since he would be Selig's lap dog for salary caps.

WilliamTheIrish
06-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Fescoe and Moss are not martyrs.

Fescoe has a legit beef. He's been covering the team for years.

Moss shows up for one pc and starts in on the owner.

Let me know when the Royals tack them up on a crucifix.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 10:38 AM

She has been around for 2 years or more

WilliamTheIrish
06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
She has been around for 2 years or more

She does not cover the Royals on a regular basis. The only thing she does cover on a regular basis is the buffet line.

KCTitus
06-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Maybe Glass should have called Carl to get some assistance in setting up a Rufus style 'media watch'.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Fescoe, 29, has covered the Royals since June 2003.

Eleazar
06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Trying to decide who is a more legitimate journalist between the two is like deciding if elephant crap or rhinocerous crap smells better.

WilliamTheIrish
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Fescoe, 29, has covered the Royals since June 2003.

Like I said, Fescoe has (somewhat) a legit beef.

Or are you just a being a MUt?

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Like I said, Fescoe has (somewhat) a legit beef.

Or are you just a being a MUt?

Moss has a legit beef as well.

WilliamTheIrish
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Moss has a legit beef as well.

No.

Moss is legit beef.

KingPriest2
06-19-2006, 11:00 AM
No.

Moss is legit beef.
ROFL

J Diddy
06-19-2006, 11:01 AM
No.

Moss is legit beef.

I always felt she was closer to pork.

dtebbe
06-19-2006, 11:57 AM
"The Royals turned Fescoe and Moss into martyrs, and in the process they exposed the owner and his son as buffoons who don't have the necessary tummy to lead a Boy Scout group - let alone a major-league franchise."

Whitlock does not know much about anything, but when he talks about Tummies, I'm listening.

DT