PDA

View Full Version : NFBT: Happy personal news: Ph.D. thesis complete

DanT
06-21-2006, 02:21 PM
I just got some happy news. The Graduate College approved my dissertation without needing any revisions. As far as I know, that was the last signature I needed for my degree, a Ph.D. in Mathematics (concentration in Probability and Statistics) from a fine department:
http://www.math.uic.edu/gradstudies/

I think I'm going to go goof off all afternoon. It's been a long dark road for a psych major undergrad to get this blankety-blank done. I'm sure happy right now, though! :)

Thanks to you bastards at ChiefsPlanet for helping me waste time I should have spent writing! ;)

Hydrae
06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Wow, congrats! :thumb:

Baby Lee
06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
I think I'm going to go goof off all afternoon.
Show us your chops. Calculate the probability that booze will be consumed.

Congrats!!!

Radar Chief
06-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Good for you DanT.
Does this mean you’ll have more time to knock some sense into that brother of yours? ;)

Pitt Gorilla
06-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Congrats. Does this mean that you have already defended? That was a not so fun- then- incredible day for me.

kc rush
06-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Cool. Congrats.

RedNFeisty
06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Sweet deal!! Congrats!!

DanT
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Congrats. Does this mean that you have already defended? That was a not so fun- then- incredible day for me.

Yep. I defended in April. Not many days in life when your nerves are as wired as when you're defending, huh? You also have a Ph.D. in Math, right, Pitt Gorilla?

noa
06-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Well done

Monkeylook4food
06-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Congrats. We sure do have a lot of Math dweebs on this site.

Does this mean you get to move back to the midwest?

DanT
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Show us your chops. Calculate the probability that booze will be consumed.

Congrats!!!

That's a 100% dead-certainty. I've already had two drinks, which is two more drinks that I've bought for myself in the past 14 years or so. ;)

Rain Man
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I had put odds of 94.8 percent of this happening, with a margin of error of 5 percent at a 95 percent confidence level. Congratulations on exceeding my expectations.

JBucc
06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Congratulatory comment. I could never get a Ph.D. Way too much work and time.

DanT
06-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Good for you DanT.
Does this mean you’ll have more time to knock some sense into that brother of yours? ;)

I'm going to slap him around some in August. It'll be fun to see KC again.

Hammock Parties
06-21-2006, 02:47 PM
You have reached a level of nerdity few can achieve. Congratulations.

DanT
06-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Congrats. We sure do have a lot of Math dweebs on this site.

Does this mean you get to move back to the midwest?

Only if my sweetheart kicks me out: I'd be back in the midwest if it weren't for her. ;)

BIG_DADDY
06-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Congratulations dude.

Jilly
06-21-2006, 02:48 PM
oh, that's so awesome! I'm so envious, but congrats!!!

KC Dan
06-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Congrats Doc!

banyon
06-21-2006, 02:54 PM
Doctor. :thumb:

StcChief
06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Great job.

so any jobs lined up....Stats stuff.

With this you could pull some jack as an Insurance Actuary..

More tests that are also tough. My neighbor did it.

morphius
06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Congrats Dan! I hated Calc II enough that I couldn't even imagine a PhD in math.

Calcountry
06-21-2006, 03:07 PM
I just got some happy news. The Graduate College approved my dissertation without needing any revisions. As far as I know, that was the last signature I needed for my degree, a Ph.D. in Mathematics (concentration in Probability and Statistics) from a fine department:

I think I'm going to go goof off all afternoon. It's been a long dark road for a psych major undergrad to get this blankety-blank done. I'm sure happy right now, though! :)

Thanks to you bastards at ChiefsPlanet for helping me waste time I should have spent writing! ;)Congratulations. If you were Gochiefs, you would now be a Jedi Master.

DanT
06-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Great job.

so any jobs lined up....Stats stuff.

With this you could pull some jack as an Insurance Actuary..

More tests that are also tough. My neighbor did it.

Work? Man, I got 73 dollars plus some change in my checking account, who needs to work? ;)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting back to working 100% time for pay. I'll continue to do what I'm doing--collaborating with other researchers at a medical school--but with more pay and a little bit more authority.

FAX
06-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Congratulations, Mr. DanT. This is a remarkable accomplishment. You should be very proud.

FAX

Jilly
06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Work? Man, I got 73 dollars plus some change in my checking account, who needs to work? ;)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting back to working 100% time for pay. I'll continue to do what I'm doing--collaborating with other researchers at a medical school--but with more pay and a little bit more authority.

yep, that's just about enough to take us all out for a beer to celebrate!!!

the Talking Can
06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
awesome, congratulations...seen friends persevere through PhD's...

do you mind me asking how old you were when you started? I just finished a masters..

DanT
06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
awesome, congratulations...seen friends persevere through PhD's...

do you mind me asking how old you were when you started? I just finished a masters..

Congrats on the masters, the Talking Can.

When I started grad school, it was to get a M.S. in Stat. I was 26 when I started on it. I had to begin with Calc II, since I was a psych undergrad and a bit of a f*ck-up. (The department admitted me probationarily, based on my promising test scores and references.) I worked full-time, did grad school part-time and finished the masters in 3 academic years. The department invited me to go for a Ph.D. based on my score on the masters exam. I was thrilled to have a masters, but I liked studying math, so I started on the Ph.D. degree when I was 29 and still working full-time. I completed all the coursework and exams in about 4 or 5 years. The dissertation has taken me about 5 or 6 very hard years.

DaFace
06-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Congratulations, Mr. DanT. This is a remarkable accomplishment. You should be very proud.

FAX

Ahem...I believe you mean Dr. DanT. :p

And congrats! I've thought about going for a Ph.D., but it just sounds like too much work. We'll see...

Jesus
06-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Congrats, my son. Now, use your education to bring your bro' back from the precipice of ignorance.

Adept Havelock
06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Congrats to you!

the Talking Can
06-21-2006, 05:42 PM
Congrats on the masters, the Talking Can.

When I started grad school, it was to get a M.S. in Stat. I was 26 when I started on it. I had to begin with Calc II, since I was a psych undergrad and a bit of a f*ck-up. (The department admitted me probationarily, based on my promising test scores and references.) I worked full-time, did grad school part-time and finished the masters in 3 academic years. The department invited me to go for a Ph.D. based on my score on the masters exam. I was thrilled to have a masters, but I liked studying math, so I started on the Ph.D. degree when I was 29 and still working full-time. I completed all the coursework and exams in about 4 or 5 years. The dissertation has taken me about 5 or 6 very hard years.

man, long time...I plan on working for a few years but I can see a point where it might make sense to go back to school...I'm just past 30...but 7-10 years is a hellacious commitment...anyways, be proud...that's hard work

Calcountry
06-21-2006, 05:43 PM
Ahem...I believe you mean Dr. DanT. :p

And congrats! I've thought about going for a Ph.D., but it just sounds like too much work. We'll see...Yes it is. I was in a Ph D program for Economics at the University of Arizona at the age of 22, and got my educational bell rung in one semester.

Congratulations DanT.

Logical
06-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Congrats Dr. DanT you are the second person I know this year to achieve their Ph.D! :clap:

Sam Hall
06-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Congrats. Grad school sounds like hell. I don't know if I want to deal with it. But it would be cool to put Dr. in front of my name.

WilliamTheIrish
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
You have a bright, new, shiny pocket protector, (with optional slide rule) in your future.

Nice job, DanT.

jettio
06-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Considering the Title of that overdue epistle:

Design Insights for Epidemiological Studies of Prevalent and Incident Dementia

You have to think that the creation of the DC sub-forum helped you make it across the finish line.

Have you broke down those traffic-stop stats for me yet, I always wanted to hire an expert that does not get paid up front.

HemiEd
06-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Wow, congrats! :thumb:

No kidding Congrats! Nice Job!
I can not leave this out, a chance to boast about my eldest daughter. PHD in Molecular Bio-Chemistry last december, started as a Senior Scientest for a major drug company last week. :D

DanT
06-21-2006, 08:54 PM
I can not leave this out, a chance to boast about my eldest daughter. PHD in Molecular Bio-Chemistry last december, started as a Senior Scientest for a major drug company last week. :D

Congrats to you and your daughter, HemiEd!

HemiEd
06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Congrats to you and your daughter, HemiEd!

Thanks, all the best to you! Hope you get a great position. :thumb:

Big Dick Jones
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I find it interesting that you can't spell scientist while your daughter IS one. :p

cdcox
06-22-2006, 12:10 AM
Congrats! I know what a PITA getting the dissertation done can be.

DaKCMan AP
06-22-2006, 05:21 AM
Impressive, congrats. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
06-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Attaboy, Dan. That is awesome.

Congrats. :toast:

KCTitus
06-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Congrats...I could have never done what you did. I realized about my 3rd year of college, that a simple bachelors was all this puppy was going to muster without going batshit insane...

You dont play poker by chance do you?

DanT
06-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Congrats...I could have never done what you did. I realized about my 3rd year of college, that a simple bachelors was all this puppy was going to muster without going batshit insane...

You dont play poker by chance do you?

No, I don't, not regularly. I sometimes watch it on TV, though. I haven't played a hand in a long time...maybe high school?

HemiEd
06-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I find it interesting that you can't spell scientist while your daughter IS one. :p

I find it interesting that YOUR AND IDIOT Skip!

KCTitus
06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
No, I don't, not regularly. I sometimes watch it on TV, though. I haven't played a hand in a long time...maybe high school?

Many of the top pros have similar mathematical credentials, which is why I wondered.

the Talking Can
06-22-2006, 08:03 AM
looking good early

the Talking Can
06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
oops, sorry...not the world cup thread...lol

donkhater
06-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the club, doc.

I defended about seven years ago and at the time really didn't think it was that big of a deal. I was in a research group in which everyone was going for the PhD so I guess it seemed more like a right of passage rather than the accomplishment it is.

Having been out of grad school for a while and working with BS and MS chemists (who are very good BTW) it is still incredibly obvious the difference in education between someone with a master's degree and a doctorate--at least in my experience. I would say I appreciate the degree more now though.

go bo
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I find it interesting that YOUR AND IDIOT Skip!has this been confirmed?

there is a certain similarity now that you mention it...

go bo
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
and congratulations, dr. dant... :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

DanT
08-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Thanks to you bastards at ChiefsPlanet for helping me waste time I should have spent writing! ;)

FYI, I just learned from the Graduate College that my Ph.D. has been awarded to me. It sure took them long enough to let me know ;), and there's still some unregistered grades that I'd like them to get recorded, but at least now I can feel comfortable about this long, long chapter in my life being concluded. Also, I can smile when people call me Dr. Dan, instead of annoying them with explanations that I'm still waiting for the official word that I'm done and to hold off with the Dr. Dan stuff until then. ;)

Hydrae
08-07-2006, 04:00 PM
FYI, I just learned from the Graduate College that my Ph.D. has been awarded to me. It sure took them long enough to let me know ;), and there's still some unregistered grades that I'd like them to get recorded, but at least now I can feel comfortable about this long, long chapter in my life being concluded. Also, I can smile when people call me Dr. Dan, instead of annoying them with explanations that I'm still waiting for the official word that I'm done and to hold off with the Dr. Dan stuff until then. ;)

PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ PBJ

Chief Henry
08-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Dr. Dan,

I've got this itch in my lower abdominal area and I've got this pain down by my nads. Do you have
any advice Da. Dan ?

Congratulations on this wonderful accoplishment.
I was gone fishing when this was first posted
and I never went back and researched any old post.

HemiEd
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Congratulations! :thumb:

keg in kc
08-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Congratulations, dude.

Zebedee DuBois
08-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Will you be among the Four out of Five Doctors?

..or will you be the odd guy?

Congrats.

Rain Man
08-07-2006, 04:41 PM

Will a mod please change his user name to DanT, PhD?

JBucc
08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Will a mod please change his user name to DanT, PhD?That would be better than Dr. DanT since we don't want people thinking he's a real doctor, you know with an MD and all:p