PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Children

jspchief
06-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Has anyone here ever flown with a toddler?

In a few weeks, we're going to making our first flight with our 20 month old daughter. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or has some tips or suggestions.

CoMoChief
06-22-2006, 11:21 AM

In a few weeks, we're going to making our first flight with our 20 month old daughter. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or has some tips or suggestions.

If they cry or scream, throw them out the emergency exit, because nobody wants to hear that.

"Deep thoughts, by Eric Toland"

Phobia
06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
You should be able to take her as a lap baby. She's going to cry during takeoff and landing due to the pressure in her ears. That's good because it will probably cause her ears to pop and then she'll be better. Flying with infants isn't fun but you can pull it off, especially if you can schedule the flight around nap time.

StcChief
06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
As a previous freq flyer....avoid it for all involved. :p

Nap time, baby asprin if you must.

Need a grouping feature so all with kids are in the same area, not spread accross the plane.

I don't see that anytime soon.

Sydd
06-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Having a drink, bottle or sippy cup, on takeoff and landing, greatly helped us when flying. Took my son at ten months and again at about 22 months. No problems at all.

sedated
06-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Buy everyone on the flight a beer or two, that way they won't hate you (as much)

Phobia
06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
I've been meaning to ask you, JSP....

Did you happen to come away from the last 37 Forever tailgating with a plumbing torch attached to a green coleman propane cannister? Torch below:
http://www.pdf-service-manuals.com/torch.gif

jspchief
06-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I recognize the impact that it has on other passengers. Believe me when I say I used to be the guy that shot the parents dirty looks over their screaming brat.

However, given the alternative of driving 11 hours, I've decided I'd rather make a plane full of people miserable for 2 hours. It was a tough decision.

Demonpenz
06-22-2006, 11:28 AM
On my way to vegas all these kids were laughing and having a good time while i was freaking out because I have a fear of flying and i hate heights and i get motion sickness and i love run on sentances. My friends said "Ray thats the quietest i have seen you .....ever" I said thats because i was too busy praying."

StcChief
06-22-2006, 11:29 AM
On my way to vegas all these kids were laughing and having a good time while i was freaking out because I have a fear of flying and i hate heights and i get motion sickness and i love run on sentances. My friends said "Ray thats the quietest i have seen you .....ever" I said thats because i was too busy praying."

Not infants. Just not a good experience for them in general.

kepp
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM

We flew to Thailand (20 hrs in the air) with our 18 month-old daughter. Here's what we did:

1. If it is a long/international flight, a lot of airlines have "cribs" that attach to the wall in front of the middle seats in the exit rows. This helped immensely. Keep in mind, though, that they're not too big.
2. Portable DVD player - keeps them entertained for at least a couple hours
3. We took her for walks around the plane occasionally...helped her when she started feeling couped up.
4. Plenty of snacks
5. Benedryl - Obviously, consult your pediatrician about it. Our ped. actually suggested it to us. We gave her a small dose when she started having trouble falling asleep and it worked well. But time the dose well. You can only give a dose every 8 hrs or so.
6. Saline nasal spray - This is a must because airplane air is so dry. They'll feel more comfortable and it will make it harder for them to pick up an viruses floating around the recirculated air.

There are probably a few more that I'm not remembering...but those should be a good start.

jspchief
06-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I've been meaning to ask you, JSP....

Did you happen to come away from the last 37 Forever tailgating with a plumbing torch attached to a green coleman propane cannister? Torch below:
http://www.pdf-service-manuals.com/torch.gifNo, at least not that I'm aware of. Are you talking about from the Washington game, or from that last cold SOB that I went to (Denver, I believe).

I'm pretty sure I've gone through my drawers, which is the only place that it could be that i wouldn't have seen it. But I'll double check.

Phobia
06-22-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm guessing if you had it, you would well know about it. It's a pretty bulky item.

bogie

How long is the flight? Make sure she's drinking or chewing during take off and landing, popping ears can hurt and freak them out. If she likes books, take her favorites. The adults around you would rather hear The Giving Tree than a screaming toddler. If she likes to draw, take lots of paper and crayons. Have a dedicated bag (backpack works well) for child entertaining and keep it under your seat not overhead. My wife and I hate flying, but weve always told my daughter we love it, now she loves it. Most people on planes are cool with kids, don't let them stress you out. If your child has a melt down and you're doing your best to calm her down and you get attitude from someone...f*ck 'em.

BucEyedPea
Have the baby suck on a bottle, or a breast if still nursing which helps their ears during take off and landing....that helps them with the ear pressure problem. I NEVER had a problem flying with mine I flew at 6 months, 10 months, age 1, 2 and 3. At least once or twice a year.

You can also bring a baby car seat on...the kind that reclines. You can seat belt it on to the seats. If the flight isn't full, you can move to where there is a blank seat next to you and let the baby sleep. But bring things to keep it's mouth, bottles, food, pacifier. The main reasons babies cry is because they are hungry, tired or in pain...in just about that order. It's their way of telling you something isn't right. You have to figure out what it is. Then it handles.

Also bring books, toys etc. depending on age. But she's young. You need more of that stuff when they get bigger on a plane.

KCTitus
06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
a 2 hour flight should be simple enough. Take off and landing -- altitude changes/ear popping, might be your biggest concern if your child is congested or anything.

Benedryl works...

When my oldest was around a year old, we flew from KC to Wash DC and didnt have major problems, fortunately.

jspchief
06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm guessing if you had it, you would well know about it. It's a pretty bulky item.If it's still attached to the propane tank, I know I don't have it.

DaFace
06-22-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm not personally an expert, but I sat next to a frequent flier (2-4 times per week) around couple weeks back. There was a screaming kid a couple rows away. The guy pulled out a balloon, blew it up, and gave it to the kid. It didn't work permanently, but the kid was entertained for a little while at least. The guy told me that he always has a few balloons in his carry-on for that reason.

Phobia
06-22-2006, 11:37 AM
It's the little green coleman tank but yeah, it's still bulky enough you would know. I doubt it would fit into those little rubbermade drawers of yours. I didn't even know it was missing until recently and the last time I remember using it was at the Washington game. Looks like I just need to drop the $40 again. No big deal.

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 11:38 AM
If your child has a melt down and you're doing your best to calm her down and you get attitude from someone...f*ck 'em.
:thumb:

You can always hold the baby in a way that it vomits on those people too. :)

Phobia
I'm not personally an expert, but I sat next to a frequent flier (2-4 times per week) around couple weeks back. There was a screaming kid a couple rows away. The guy pulled out a balloon, blew it up, and gave it to the kid. It didn't work permanently, but the kid was entertained for a little while at least. The guy told me that he always has a few balloons in his carry-on for that reason.

That's awesome.

JBucc
Give them some drugs that will knock them out

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 11:41 AM
3. We took her for walks around the plane occasionally...helped her when she started feeling couped up.
That's another good one but I found that I had to use that more around 2.5- 3 years old more. In fact I'd just let mine roam around while I watched so long as it wasn't too far. People were really nice to her...and she look at them and they'd talk to her. She liked that.

epitome1170
06-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Another thing that helps the ears popping thing is by having them suck on a sucker. My sister has done that with her kids and it seems to work... as long as they aren't chewing on it. The downside is the sugar intake which may keep them up after the take off.

sedated
06-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Have the baby suck on a bottle, or a breast if still nursing

which is more distracting, a screaming child, or a woman breast feeding on a plane.

might as well get out the nail clippers, too

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 11:53 AM
which is more distracting, a screaming child, or a woman breast feeding on a plane.

might as well get out the nail clippers, too

That's accepted now a days, is usually done discreetly...with the right clothes and a small blanket. On an airplane it's even more discreet. Geesh! Get with the times! :hmmm:

alpha_omega
06-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Rule of thumb:

Don't travel (via air) with children until they are old enough to chew gum.

sedated
06-22-2006, 11:59 AM
That's accepted now a days, is usually done discreetly...with the right clothes and a small blanket. On an airplane it's even more discreet. Geesh! Get with the times! :hmmm:

coming from a woman this means very little

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
coming from a woman this means very little

In your opinion.

bogie
06-22-2006, 12:05 PM

We flew Southwest once and the flight attendant made balloon animals for the kids. It was great! He was really good at blowing up the balloons.

Demonpenz
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
sick breast feeding on an airplane? Why don't you just change the diapers on my lap while your at it

chagrin
06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
In your opinion.

In most people's opinion, they're just too pussified to tell you that.

sedated
06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
We flew Southwest once and the flight attendant made balloon animals for the kids. It was great! He was really good at blowing up the balloons.

I'm guessing that balloon wasn't the only thing he's been blowing on

bogie
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing that balloon wasn't the only thing he's been blowing on

NTTAWWT

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
sick breast feeding on an airplane? Why don't you just change the diapers on my lap while your at it
Nursing is not a dirty or unclean thing and it can be done with that body part covered. Breasts are for feeding babies...not suckling grown men. ROFL

Many women do not bottle feed, so what do you recommend when the pressure produces pain in a baby's ears that they scream on the plane making everyon miserable?

Which would you prefer. Any ideas?

bogie
06-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Nursing is not a dirty or unclean thing and it can be done with that body part covered. Breasts are for feeding babies...not suckling grown men. ROFL

Many women do not bottle feed, so what do you recommend when the pressure produces pain in a baby's ears that they scream on the plane making everyon miserable?

I like breasts. I wish breast feeding women wouldn't cover up so much.

sedated
06-22-2006, 12:17 PM
That's accepted now a days...Get with the times! :hmmm:

If a woman started breast-feeding next to me on a plane, I would take a dump on the drink cart.

"It's perfectly natural"

Eleazar
06-22-2006, 12:18 PM

No kidding. Bring bottles of the stuff or something.

sedated
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM

don't bring a baby on the plane.

in fact, keep them the hell away from me in all circumstances

...or let me get a taste when the baby is done

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
"It's perfectly natural"

I didn't make the claim of natural, even though it is...I said is wasn't dirty or unclean which your example is. Not even on the same level.

don't bring a baby on the plane.
Nope! It's the right of those who bought tickets.

in fact, keep them the hell away from me in all circumstances
I wouldn't want a baby or child near someone who feels this way.

...or let me get a taste when the baby is done
Sure!

But how can you hate the products of sex and enjoy sex?

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 12:33 PM
For the uptight:
http://www.mommysthinkin.com/images/loved%20baby/Mother_nursing_baby_pink_baby.jpg

Demonpenz
06-22-2006, 12:34 PM
can someone NSFW THIS PLEASE

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
can someone NSFW THIS PLEASE

What? You didn't like the pink one?

Here, you might like green, but I'll just post the link. K?

http://www.mommysthinkin.com/images/loved%20baby/Loved%20Baby%20Nursing.JPG

HemiEd
06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Our kids are gone, but we are faced with this 11 hour drive vs two hour flight on a regular basis. I always drive for the following reasons.

2 hour flight is really a 6 hour ordeal when you consider going to the airport and getting there early enough.
Cost of parking at the airport.
Picking up the rental.
You are in their control, not yours. This is huge for me, I like being able to change the schedule to fit my wishes.

I would suspect you are flying out of Des Moines? I imagine the costs are similar to Wichita, so the cost save of driving is great even with these high gas prices.

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
In most people's opinion, they're just too pussified to tell you that.
I missed this post earlier. Poll please?
It just might fall along gender lines perhaps.

Any how I'm getting a chuckle out of all the reactions in here, while I bust yer chops! :)

sedated
06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
But how can you hate the products of sex and enjoy sex?

STD's are a product of sex, and I'm not too fond of those.(but there are a few I'd rather have than a baby)

so are relationships with crazy hoes

and the munchies

KCTitus
06-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Our kids are gone, but we are faced with this 11 hour drive vs two hour flight on a regular basis. I always drive for the following reasons.

2 hour flight is really a 6 hour ordeal when you consider going to the airport and getting there early enough.
Picking up the rental.
You are in their control, not yours. This is huge for me, I like being able to change the schedule to fit my wishes.

I would suspect you are flying out of Des Moines? I imagine the costs are similar to Wichita, so the cost save of driving is great even with these high gas prices.

You missed the biggest 'cost'...those of the tickets vs. driving/gas.

Phobia
06-22-2006, 12:53 PM
No kidding. Bring bottles of the stuff or something.

Most women produce on a schedule dictated by their child's feeding needs. They can't just "hold it" like you would your bladder. When it's time, it's time.

The Red Sea
06-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I feel a need to weigh in on the breast feeding debate! =P
I recall before having a couple of rug rats of my own thinking..WTF is that bitch doing breast feeding right out in the open.
My wife felt some what the same on this.

Then came our Sweet little trolls & it all changed.
My kids took after me & needed a mouthful of her breast more often than I did.
Next thing you know shes breast feeding the kids pretty much in any public location.

Now I have a new feeling on this..its nature for gods sake.
The only people that get mad are the people that couldnt handle the job of breast feeding or I have to add those that Couldnt for medical reasons.

Woman who decided to never breast feed or who quit early usually dont want to admit it or talk about it.
But if a woman Can breast feed its sooo good for their health.
I tell my wife its good for me as well but she doesnt always listen.

Hey this debate is very similar to the..When you dont have kids you get Soooo annoyed at the child not behaving in the table next to you.
After a few kids you at the very least have a little more understanding.

Anyhow My Buzzed a$$ has rattled enough,as far as the kids go on a plane? Just have them write the pilot a letter like this one...

http://img285.imageshack.us/img285/6997/qantas6wd.jpg

J Diddy
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I flew to Orlando 2 years ago with my 20 month old son. He was a little spooked the flight out there. Loved it on the flight home though. Got pissed when we shut the windows cause he was awestruck by the clouds.

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Most women produce on a schedule dictated by their child's feeding needs. They can't just "hold it" like you would your bladder. When it's time, it's time.

Thank you! I forgot all about this.
If you don't feed...you know what happens. Something tells me the same men would be just as uneasy, at seeing a woman leaking all over her blouse in public.

Bob Dole
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Won't a 20 month old child fit in a bag that will fit in the overhead luggage compartment?

sedated
06-22-2006, 01:05 PM
..its nature for gods sake.

it was only a matter of time before someone busted out this little gem.

natural? so is taking a piss, or a dump, or rubbing one out, or being naked.

but we don't do those things in public. why? to be considerate of others (and the whole legality thing)

you can bottle that stuff. what are breast-pumps for?

Phobia
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
it was only a matter of time before someone busted out this little gem.

natural? so is taking a piss, or a dump, or rubbing one out, or being naked.

but we don't do those things in public. why? to be considerate others (and the whole legality thing)

you can bottle that stuff. what are breast-pumps for?

Breast pumps are to provide mom some relief when she's full and baby is finally sleeping. They're to also relieve mom's chapped nips when she can no longer handle the pain of baby gnawing on them. They're to allow a mom to provide beast milk to a baby who won't latch. They're to allow mom to produce for baby when mom goes back to work. If people are offended by mothers who breast feed in public then those people have entirely too much free time on their hands.

The Red Sea
06-22-2006, 01:19 PM
However it IS illegal to piss or dump in public but not to breast feed nor will it Ever be.

As others have said bottling it Up so to speak isnt the only problem..its the leaking that comes if you dont unload them from time to time..& when most woman hear a baby cry the milk drops instantly..ala its again Natural.

Good lord I just gotta get my wife to read this thread!
I'm almost stickin up for all woman kind here.
I need to walk away from computer & have a beer instantly then flip on sportscenter!

Fat Elvis
06-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Children's tylenol + tiny tykes nose drops = happy baby (and happier passengers around you)

Sometimes Benadryl has the opposite effect on kids.

BucEyedPea
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Good lord I just gotta get my wife to read this thread!

Please do!

I'm almost stickin up for all woman kind here.

It's just the truth!

I need to walk away from computer & have a beer instantly then flip on sportscenter!

ROFL ROFL

HemiEd
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
You missed the biggest 'cost'...those of the tickets vs. driving/gas.

I probably was not clear, but that is what the last sentence was supposed to address. I can fly to a lot of exotic locations from Chicago cheaper than I can fly home to Wichita. I would imagine Des Moines is the same way. It used to take 11 hours to drive that 710 miles, we have learned to get it done in just over 10. :D

kepp
06-22-2006, 01:58 PM
Breast pumps are to provide mom some relief when she's full and baby is finally sleeping. They're to also relieve mom's chapped nips when she can no longer handle the pain of baby gnawing on them. They're to allow a mom to provide beast milk to a baby who won't latch. They're to allow mom to produce for baby when mom goes back to work. If people are offended by mothers who breast feed in public then those people have entirely too much free time on their hands.
:clap: My little girl NEVER liked bottles. My wife breast fed (discretely) on the plane to Thailand. Its a big security/attachment thing for the little tikes. I would say that those who are against breast feeding in public (again, discretely) have a very incomplete and skewed view of women.

Inspector
06-22-2006, 02:48 PM
You might want to consider one of those pet carriers. That way you can ship the baby in the cargo hold and nobody will hear the crying.

stevieray
06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Are you flying to Denver?

I'd encourage the crying....;)

"Now Jake, just go to anger management and driving school..rmember, no flipping off the instructor"

jspchief
06-22-2006, 07:55 PM

Picking up the rental.

I would suspect you are flying out of Des Moines? I imagine the costs are similar to Wichita, so the cost save of driving is great even with these high gas prices.The tickets from Des moines to Dallas cost me $226 apiece. I won't have to pay for a rental car when I get there, I'll just drive one of my folks' cars.

Driving would cost me about $300 in gas. Plus it would add 1600+ miles to my vehicle. And it would consume an additional 16 hours of my time, which I consider quite valuable, especially on vacation to see my folks.

In straight monetary cost, it might be slightly cheaper to drive, but when you factor in everything else, That's not necessarily the case.

Besides, if you think 2 hours on a plane makes a toddler hard to handle, try 10 hours in a car.

We've driven in the past, and likely will again, but this time flying makes much more sense.

Logical
06-22-2006, 08:30 PM
In all honesty my experience is only as a fellow passenger and there is no nice way to put this, flying on the same flight as toddlers is pure hell. They are mostly not at fault they don't understand why they are restricted, why their ears hurt, etc. I wish you luck and hope you find a method that makes it less painful for your fellow passengers.