PDA

View Full Version : McPhee Of Idol Show Has Bulimia...

listopencil
06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
There was an argument raging about whether she was fat or thin, and there were a few different pics posted of her that seemed to support both sides. This might help explain:

McPhee one of millions with bulimia
Disease 'goes through society'

Thursday, June 22, 2006; Posted: 7:15 p.m. EDT (23:15 GMT)

(CNN) -- Katharine McPhee's revelation that she has battled bulimia puts the American Idol runner-up in the company of millions of Americans.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/06/22/bulimia.mcphee/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

Reaper16
06-23-2006, 12:50 AM
She admitted it? Damn, that means she'll get treatment. Which means she won't die. First US Soccer loses, then McPhee doesn't die; what a bad day.

Tribal Warfare
06-23-2006, 01:50 AM
She admitted it? Damn, that means she'll get treatment. Which means she won't die. First US Soccer loses, then McPhee doesn't die; what a bad day.

You cold ass bastard ROFL

jlscorpio
06-23-2006, 02:42 PM
this thread is useless w/o pics

listopencil
06-23-2006, 03:39 PM
this thread is useless w/o pics

http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/photo_viewer/0d/cd/33297.jpg

listopencil
06-23-2006, 03:42 PM
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/9605/katharinemcphee90009re.jpg

JBucc
06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
She looks better with the bulimia

htismaqe
06-23-2006, 03:48 PM
Nice.

I love our society, where a girl that looks like that sticks her finger down her throat because she's afraid she's fat.

As if Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan is hot.

dirk digler
06-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Nice.

I love our society, where a girl that looks like that sticks her finger down her throat because she's afraid she's fat.

Yep totally agree. She is very fine the way she is.

Bootlegged
06-23-2006, 03:58 PM
? :Lin:

listopencil
06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Nice.

That yellow dress and the wardrobe malfunction it caused was incredibly hot. Mmmmm......yummy.

Skipping Town
06-23-2006, 04:09 PM
That yellow dress and the wardrobe malfunction it caused was incredibly hot. Mmmmm......yummy.

I agree listo.

listopencil
06-23-2006, 05:23 PM
Here'e a low res one from the wardrobe malfunction episode:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=56578&stc=1

listopencil
06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Here's something a bit more hi res:

http://pop.wizbangblog.com/images/2006/04/katharinemcphee0420064253mf.jpg

Watching it live was pretty entertaining. Keep in mind that she was strutting around the stage, getting into the song.

jspchief
06-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Nice.

As if Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan is hot.Yea, what a victim, choosing a path that thrusts her in the public eye, yet it's everyone else's fault when she can't handle the scrutiny. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, she needs to keep sticking her finger down her throat. I like the people I see on TV to be unrealistically hot, and right now she's fat by celebrity standards. If she can't keep the rolls off, she needs to stay the **** off my TV.

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:26 PM
The problem is that her bone structure will only allow her to get so small. And obviously she wants to be smaller than that.

She probably thinks her hips are too big and whatnot.

Moooo

Tribal Warfare
06-23-2006, 09:42 PM
The problem is that her bone structure will only allow her to get so small. And obviously she wants to be smaller than that.

Moooo

She is probably too lazy to work out too

Moooo
06-23-2006, 09:48 PM

You'd be suprised how few chicks get that lifting weights to a moderate level will make them hotter.

They all think the waif look is hot, and there's a lot of guys out there to support this feeling.

Me, I personally like a thicker chick. But for every one of me, there's 2 guys who would think she chould stand to lose a few pounds, cause they don't get it.

Moooo

dirk digler
06-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Yea, what a victim, choosing a path that thrusts her in the public eye, yet it's everyone else's fault when she can't handle the scrutiny. :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, she needs to keep sticking her finger down her throat. I like the people I see on TV to be unrealistically hot, and right now she's fat by celebrity standards. If she can't keep the rolls off, she needs to stay the **** off my TV.

Damn jsp that is some harsh shit.

Did you ever think that she had bulimia before AI?

McPhee says her illness began during her high school years in Los Angeles, where she was always concerned about her appearance. She recalls starving herself and exercising to an extreme. The pattern continued. "I was bingeing my whole life away for days at a time," she told People. She says the bottom came about the time she auditioned for "American Idol."

StcChief
06-24-2006, 04:00 PM
More cushion for the pushin'

Demonpenz
06-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Well that acid should ruin her singing voice...Thankfully for all of us

htismaqe
06-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Yea, what a victim, choosing a path that thrusts her in the public eye, yet it's everyone else's fault when she can't handle the scrutiny. :rolleyes:

Where did I ever say she was a victim?

All you have to do is read the MULTIPLE threads of pig-headed chauvenistic bullshit on this very board to see why girls take this avenue.

Jilly
06-26-2006, 08:19 AM

Moooo

I guarantee she thinks she's fat because of her cheeks. She has the cutest cheeks, but they don't cave in like skinny women cheeks, if that makes any sense.

Eleazar
06-26-2006, 08:34 AM

You know, a lot of girls who have bulimia work out incessantly.

But don't bother to have an informed opinion or anything.

Clint in Wichita
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
IMO eating disorders are pathetic.

If you don't want to eat, or if you see a fat person in the mirror when you are little more than a leathery skeleton, then crawl into a hole and friggin die.

Anyone who is that desperate to avoid being fat is nothing more than a shallow twat. McPhee fits that bill perfectly.

Reaper16
06-26-2006, 02:18 PM
IMO eating disorders are pathetic.

If you don't want to eat, or if you see a fat person in the mirror when you are little more than a leathery skeleton, then crawl into a hole and friggin die.

Anyone who is that desperate to avoid being fat is nothing more than a shallow twat. McPhee fits that bill perfectly.
Mental illness isn't pathetic. I have a good friend who was very much close to death as a result of her anorexia. It wasn't something she could control, either. The good news is that one can recover from both the physical side of having your body digest it's own organs because its so starved, and recover from the mental side that cause it in the first place. She's overweight now, but she's happy and alive.

Predarat
06-26-2006, 02:31 PM
You'd be suprised how few chicks get that lifting weights to a moderate level will make them hotter.

They all think the waif look is hot, and there's a lot of guys out there to support this feeling.

Me, I personally like a thicker chick. But for every one of me, there's 2 guys who would think she chould stand to lose a few pounds, cause they don't get it.

Moooo
I agree with you. Some of these gals need to come over to my house and have roast beef, mashed potatoes(the kind with fattening butter and milk that stick to your ribs), fried okra, butter milk biskets, cornbread, with that premium fatting butter rich people use, I think they call it oleo or something like that. For dessert we can have cheesecake. That will fatten them up!

htismaqe
06-26-2006, 02:35 PM
I agree with you. Some of these gals need to come over to my house and have roast beef, mashed potatoes(the kind with fattening butter and milk that stick to your ribs), fried okra, butter milk biskets, cornbread, with that premium fatting butter rich people use, I think they call it oleo or something like that. For dessert we can have cheesecake. That will fatten them up!

MMMMMM...fried okra....

Reaper16
06-26-2006, 02:42 PM
MMMMMM...fried okra....
Heh, I was thinking the same thing reading that post.

sedated
06-26-2006, 03:33 PM
I'd hit it like there's no tomorrow, anywhere anytime.

I'd let her puke on my chest.

Clint in Wichita
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Mental illness isn't pathetic. I have a good friend who was very much close to death as a result of her anorexia. It wasn't something she could control, either. The good news is that one can recover from both the physical side of having your body digest it's own organs because its so starved, and recover from the mental side that cause it in the first place. She's overweight now, but she's happy and alive.

Sometimes mental illness is pathetic. See pedophiles and, conservatives would say, homosexuals.

I would like to see an experiment:

Send a bulimic/anorexic to an island where there is plenty of fresh water, but absolutely no food...not even insects. Nothing to eat at all. Turn a TV camera on them and see what happens. Are they overjoyed at the fact that there is no food, even though it means they are doomed? As they starve to death, do they become more and more ecstatic? Are they at their happiest seconds before they die? Or do they forget about their precious "figure" when they realize that eating is no longer an option, and that they are, without a doubt, going to die?

My second experiment involves what a person with Terrett's Syndrome says if he/she grows up without ever hearing profanity of any kind, but that's for another thread.

Baby Lee
06-26-2006, 05:04 PM
My second experiment involves what a person with Terrett's Syndrome says if he/she grows up without ever hearing profanity of any kind, but that's for another thread.
Seeing as many of the manifestations of Tourettes are chirps, squeaks, yelps, as well as jerky hand, leg, and head movements, I'd guess your experiment would yield little new info.
Sufferers describe the affliction as an itch on the brain that can only be scratched by acting out.

Tribal Warfare
06-26-2006, 06:20 PM
You know, a lot of girls who have bulimia work out incessantly.

not the ones I knew

listopencil
06-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Sufferers describe the affliction as an itch on the brain that can only be scratched by acting out.

I've always wondered about that disorder. How often do you think you've just flat out blown a fuse and it felt great? It's happened to me on several occasions and I wonder if that's how people with Tourette's feel when they have an episode. That they are just letting it out and it feels good to do it. I wonder how fine a line there is between having a disorder and having an anger "problem".

htismaqe
06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Sometimes mental illness is pathetic. See pedophiles and, conservatives would say, homosexuals.

I would like to see an experiment:

Send a bulimic/anorexic to an island where there is plenty of fresh water, but absolutely no food...not even insects. Nothing to eat at all. Turn a TV camera on them and see what happens. Are they overjoyed at the fact that there is no food, even though it means they are doomed? As they starve to death, do they become more and more ecstatic? Are they at their happiest seconds before they die? Or do they forget about their precious "figure" when they realize that eating is no longer an option, and that they are, without a doubt, going to die?

It wouldn't matter if there was ample water and/or no food.

It would only matter if there's other people.

No other people = no social anxiety = no bulemia

listopencil
06-26-2006, 10:40 PM
It wouldn't matter if there was ample water and/or no food.

It would only matter if there's other people.

No other people = no social anxiety = no bulemia

I don't know. I don't buy that. I can't really get into the head of a bulimic but from what I understand it is more about self image and less about what others might think. Otherwise it could be easily cured with positive verbal feedback.

SLAG
06-26-2006, 10:52 PM
I heard what really happend was she was throwing up drunk and on a whole bunch of shrooms a friend saw her and she played it off as if she had "The Buliemia" to be cool and hip......

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 04:30 AM
I don't know. I don't buy that. I can't really get into the head of a bulimic but from what I understand it is more about self image and less about what others might think. Otherwise it could be easily cured with positive verbal feedback.

Why does one develop a self image? Without social pressure, there's nothing to compare one's self to...

sedated
06-28-2006, 03:17 PM
eating disorders are about control.

the people feel that they cannot control anything in their lives, but they can control what they eat.

Moooo
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM

the people feel that they cannot control anything in their lives, but they can control what they eat.

Great point. Its common in situations of abuse, or neglect or other sorts.

It runs on the same principle of an abusive husband getting yelled at at work, and coming home to take it out on his wife. Same principle, different style.

Moooo

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 03:25 PM

Very true. Particularly with anorexia.

listopencil
06-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Why does one develop a self image? Without social pressure, there's nothing to compare one's self to...

From what I understand it's all about what they see in the mirror. It has more to do with what they perceive as their own body image, even though this view is influenced by what they see in various media. It comes down to a person standing naked in the bathroom and feeling disgusted by what they see of themselves. That happens even with no one else around.

Moooo
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
From what I understand it's all about what they see in the mirror. It has more to do with what they perceive as their own body image, even though this view is influenced by what they see in various media. It comes down to a person standing naked in the bathroom and feeling disgusted by what they see of themselves. That happens even with no one else around.

I think what he's saying is without magazines and stuff to compare yourself too, you wouldn't have any reason to think anything you look like is ugly...

I argue that many times such issues are caused by a chemical imbalance which manifest theirselves in other ways. For example, if it wasn't one part of her body image it would be another... If the chemicals are out of whack, a lot of times the thoughts are just justification...

Moooo

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 07:32 AM
Anorexia and bulemia are strongly related to other obsessive disorders like OCD. So in some way you're correct, it it doesn't manifest itself in this way it will likely manifest itself in another.

listopencil
06-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Anorexia and bulemia are strongly related to other obsessive disorders like OCD. So in some way you're correct, it it doesn't manifest itself in this way it will likely manifest itself in another.

I understand you're point about other people's standards contributing to the eating disorders. I think they do. But as you point out here, it's a mental disorder. It would continue even without outside stimulus.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 07:50 AM
I understand you're point about other people's standards contributing to the eating disorders. I think they do. But as you point out here, it's a mental disorder. It would continue even without outside stimulus.

The mental disorder would continue without outside stimulus - true.

It might not manifest itself as an eating disorder, however.

For instance, my mother and her twin sister both have OCD. My mother is a "cleaner". Her house is immaculate - she vacuums at least once a day EVERY day. My aunt is a "germophobe". Lysol, anti-bacterical soap, the whole bit. Both of them have a similar mental disorder, a genetic predisposition to OCD. Several people in my family have it. Including their mother.

Their mother was a farm wife. To say the house was "disorganized" is probably being kind. She couldn't have been farther from the "cleaner" and "germophobe" archetypes. So why did they manifest the way they did? Could it be the environment they grew up in?

Eleazar
06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
not the ones I knew

Good way to measure the world. :rolleyes:

ct
06-30-2006, 08:41 AM

For instance, my mother and her twin sister both have OCD. My mother is a "cleaner". Her house is immaculate - she vacuums at least once a day EVERY day. My aunt is a "germophobe". Lysol, anti-bacterical soap, the whole bit. Both of them have a similar mental disorder, a genetic predisposition to OCD. Several people in my family have it. Including their mother.

Their mother was a farm wife. To say the house was "disorganized" is probably being kind. She couldn't have been farther from the "cleaner" and "germophobe" archetypes. So why did they manifest the way they did? Could it be the environment they grew up in?

Hmmm...

So you became a network admin nazi, and BB mod...how interesting!

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Hmmm...

So you became a network admin nazi, and BB mod...how interesting!

:D

Interestingly enough, I don't have OCD. Years of living with an obsessive cause me to develop ADD.

ct
06-30-2006, 09:26 AM
:D

Interestingly enough, I don't have OCD. Years of living with an obsessive cause me to develop ADD.

uh-huh, sure ...

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 09:29 AM
uh-huh, sure ...

I never developed the compulsion component. ;)

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:07 AM
I never developed the compulsion component. ;)

20% of all people with OCD have no compusions... But unless you're having to lock your door 4 times every night, or can't stop thinking about horrible things happening, chances are you're just a neatfreak.

Moooo

sedated
06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
20% of all people with OCD have no compusions... Moooo

and 100% of me thinks you're a sagging kunt sack

Clint in Wichita
06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
20% of all people with OCD have no compusions... But unless you're having to lock your door 4 times every night, or can't stop thinking about horrible things happening, chances are you're just a neatfreak.

Moooo

Can you really have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder without the compulsive part?

sedated
06-30-2006, 03:09 PM

it was a trick, he actually said "compusions"

:titus:

listopencil
06-30-2006, 05:26 PM

Sure, I understand that. The human mind is incredibly complex and I have no idea why people develop particular compulsions over others. I think once the compulsion is developed it's not going to morph into another direction without some serious therapy, though. I don't believe a person with an eating disorder would respond by converting it because no one else is there to compare herself to.

Moooo
06-30-2006, 08:34 PM

Yes, the DSM doesn't say its necessary, though as I said before, 80% of peoople do.

Moooo

Moooo
06-30-2006, 08:35 PM
and 100% of me thinks you're a sagging kunt sack

I don't sag much at all. I'm still young, though so...

Moooo

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Sure, I understand that. The human mind is incredibly complex and I have no idea why people develop particular compulsions over others. I think once the compulsion is developed it's not going to morph into another direction without some serious therapy, though. I don't believe a person with an eating disorder would respond by converting it because no one else is there to compare herself to.

Ah, I wasn't implying that a person with an eating disorder would CHANGE. Sorry. I was implying they likely wouldn't develop an eating disorder in the 1st place.

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 02:04 PM

It's not OCD without the O and the C. Someone like me, who has no obvious outward compulsion is classified as clinically obsessive.

Moooo

Actually, I'm not a neatfreak at all. It's no coincidence that I'm the opposite, I'm not neat at all.

Like I said, I have ADD. That, combined with obsession, is pretty interesting. For instance, I brought up in an XBox 360 thread that I only play one game at a time. I actually sometimes get games and play all the way through them in less than a week before moving on to the next one.

listopencil
07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Ah, I wasn't implying that a person with an eating disorder would CHANGE. Sorry. I was implying they likely wouldn't develop an eating disorder in the 1st place.

Oh, OK. I get you. I misunderstood.