PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

milkman
06-22-2006, 08:53 PM
My wife is having problems with space/memory.

Her documents and settings are showing that she has over 1.5 million files, and she can only find just over 2300.

She has been trying to clear out space, but can't find all of these (phantom) files to delete them.

She has an external hard drive that she has been using for saving info.

SLAG
06-22-2006, 09:11 PM
has she enabled "Show Hidden Files" Most hidden files are system files and are needed.... Where are you getting your #'s?

milkman
06-22-2006, 09:44 PM
How do you enable "Show hidden files"?

She gets the numbers from right clicking on documents and sewttings, then clicks on properties.

Adept Havelock
06-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Go into folder options, and select the view tab.

Depending on the version of Windows you are running, folder options can be accessed from the start menu, or the Tools drop down in Windows Explorer.

milkman
06-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Go into folder options, and select the view tab.

Depending on the version of Windows you are running, folder options can be accessed from the start menu, or the Tools drop down in Windows Explorer.

We found that, now the question is, what do we do with it?

DaFace
06-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Her documents and settings are showing that she has over 1.5 million files, and she can only find just over 2300.

Could you clarify this sentence? You mentioned that right-clicking on the documents and settings folder shows 1.5m files. Where, then, does the number of 2300 files that she can find come from?

In all likelihood, the above suggestions are right on target. Windows has more hidden files than non-hidden files most of the time. Once you have gone in and shown the hidden files, you'll likely find all sorts of folders in there that have files in them.

If nothing else, try running the "Disk Cleanup" program from Start: Programs: Accessories: System Tools. It'll find most temporary files that you can delete. If you run a web browser other than IE, open that program and look through the preferences for an area about clearing the disk cache. The Disk Cleanup program won't clear temp files from non-IE browsers.

Hope that helps.

Adept Havelock
06-23-2006, 06:44 PM
We found that, now the question is, what do we do with it?

Sorry. Click on the "View" tab, and then click the radio button "Show all hidden and system files"

Mr. Laz
06-23-2006, 08:03 PM
btw space and memory are two completely different situations.

space is how much information stored on your hard drive. All the files and folders you have.

memory is how many programs you have currently running.

push the ctrl + alt + del buttons all at the same time and it brings up the task manager to show you what applications are running at the time

milkman
06-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for your help guys.

I think I've found some of the files that she hasn't been able to find.

I'll know when she's home later and can check with her.

milkman
06-24-2006, 02:46 PM
If I just unhook the external hard drive, will the info stored in there still be there, and accessible when I hook it back up?

DaFace
06-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes. External hard drives will save the information that is on there regardless of whether they are hooked up to your computer (or even if they are powed off).

An external hard drive is exactly the same as an internal hard drive - it's just in a different casing. Just like you can unplug your computer and not lose your information, you can unplug an external hard drive.

milkman
06-24-2006, 08:03 PM
What are cookies, exactly, and can any be deleted?

milkman
06-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Her computer shows that about 98% of her space is used, and we can't seem to clear any of it, no matter what we do.

Mr. Laz
06-24-2006, 08:22 PM
What are cookies, exactly, and can any be deleted?
little bits of information that website use to tract stuff(usually anonomously) on your browser

keeps you signed in to Chiefsplanet etc.

yes they can be deleted and should be imo

in fact i have my cookies disable except the specific sites i choose.

Tools > internet options > General Tabs

push clear history

push delete files (check offline content too)

Delete cookies (will have to log-in again)

another thing you might do is go to Advanced Tab:

down towards bottom under Security Group

check Don't not save encrpted pages to hard disk
check Empty Temporary Internet file folders when browser is closed

empty won't delete cookies but does keep your cache cleaner

SLAG
06-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Her computer shows that about 98% of her space is used, and we can't seem to clear any of it, no matter what we do.

You might want to go to Start...Settings...Control Panel.... Add/Remove Programs..

See if there are any programs you dont use...

Cookies Store Bits of Info about you and your computer on your computer for future use by the website... if you chose to keep your Chiefs Planet User name and PW saved its saved in a cookie... then when you visit Chiefs Planet... the website looks for the cookie and loads the info.

You can Delete them but they will probably be back unless you disable them... some websites dont always give you a choice about taking a cookie

Mr. Laz
06-24-2006, 08:24 PM

how big is the hard drive?

Start > Search > for files and folders

leave "search for" box empty

look in: (hard drive letter you're trying to clean out)

click on "search for" options

check SIZE

Check advance options:

search hidden
search system
search subfolders

increase the size up to like 10 megs ......

it will go through and find every file above size you set ........ you can see if there are any abnormally large files and what they are.

Mr. Laz
06-24-2006, 08:58 PM
might want to empty your Recycle Bin too

right click on Recycle bin Icon .... Empty

milkman
06-24-2006, 09:21 PM
might want to empty your Recycle Bin too

right click on Recycle bin Icon .... Empty

Yeah, this is at least one thing even a computer illiterate like myself has figured out.

Beyond that, I am totally lost.

My wife is not nearly as illiterate as I am, but she isn't computer savvy, either.

Adept Havelock
06-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Go to the control panel, and click on "Internet Options"

On the General Tab, click on "Temporary Internet Files/Delete Files.

It may take a little while to complete.