PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Player Questions

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 08:21 AM
I am in the market for a MP3 player. I know a lot about IPODs but I am interested in any alternative players that are out there that are either better than an IPOD or are a better value. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

KCTitus
06-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I have a Creative Zen 1GB Mp3 player...plenty of room for the music I like. I dont use it in conjunction with anything like iTunes or whatever, I have copied my CD's to Mp3 on my computer and then loaded them onto the player.

It's small and uses AAA battery. I will say battery life seems kind of short--I typically use it about 4 hours per week and sometimes on the weekend and can get about 3 weeks out of one battery.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 10:19 AM
I would also like some info on some of the players that also do video.

jspchief
06-23-2006, 10:43 AM
I suggest really examining the features. One reason the Ipod is still so popular is because it has so many features, and is so user friendly. If it weren't for Itunes, I think Ipod would dominate the market even more than it already does.

Back when I was buying, I came across some good message boards. I've long since cleared themfrom my bookmark, but I'm sure a google search will find you a few. They were a good resource for hearing the gripes about various players.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I suggest really examining the features. One reason the Ipod is still so popular is because it has so many features, and is so user friendly. If it weren't for Itunes, I think Ipod would dominate the market even more than it already does.

Back when I was buying, I came across some good message boards. I've long since cleared themfrom my bookmark, but I'm sure a google search will find you a few. They were a good resource for hearing the gripes about various players.

I have been doing a lot of research and I have almost come to the conclusion that the IPOD will be my best bet. I already use iTunes so it seems like a natural choice.

Gaz
06-23-2006, 12:04 PM
I have a couple of iRiver players.

Great sound, line-in recording/encoding, FM receiver [with recording capability], voice recorder. Uses a single AA battery. UMS. I can load and unload it through WinAmp.

I would consider one of the iPod Nanos, because the Apple wheel is very nice and I prefer flash memory [as opposed to a hard drive], but I really do not want to deal with iTunes.

I had a Creative Labs Nomad IIc for a long time and was quite content with it. But that is older tech [USB 1.0, no drag & drop, SmartMedia expansion, so forth].

xoxo~
Gaz
Jamming on the go.

ck_IN
06-23-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't know if it's too late but I'm listening right now to a 6g Creative Zen player that my wife got me for Xmas.

It's a rechargeable that hooks via usb cable to my PC. The same cable is used to transfer tunes. The sound quality is fantastic. The supplied software lets me rip my fav CD's. I also use bit torrent and limewire to steal, err, obtain my favourite songs. I haven't tested the battery life but I listen to it at work and usually get through at least half of the week on a full charge.

I've never used Itunes but I've never found anything that wouldn't play on my Creative. And pricewise the Ipod seems way overpriced compared to this model.

Ebolapox
06-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm with chuck on this one--apple's ipod is overpriced cause it's trendy--I don't give a sh*t about what's trendy, therefore I have ten times the mp3 player I could've gotten for double the money (creative zen micro 5gig)--zero problems thus far

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Why are some of you guys opposed to using iTunes. I use it and have no problems. Is there something I am not aware of, or is it just preference. What other programs are there to use?

SLAG
06-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Interesting thread...

with my free $20 i spent $24 of my own money and Picked up this 1gb MP4 Player..

Current Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1GB-BLUE-MP4-PLAYER-NANO-MP3-FM-RADIO-PMP-USB-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ160000668266QQihZ006QQcategoryZ73839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My Auction Sold for $44 total

His feedback looked solid and i figure it might be interesting.... sounds what you are looking for

ChiefsfaninPA
06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Interesting thread...

with my free $20 i spent $24 of my own money and Picked up this 1gb MP4 Player..

Current Auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1GB-BLUE-MP4-PLAYER-NANO-MP3-FM-RADIO-PMP-USB-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ160000668266QQihZ006QQcategoryZ73839QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My Auction Sold for $44 total

His feedback looked solid and i figure it might be interesting.... sounds what you are looking for

Thanks for the link. Did you already get one or you won a earlier bid of his?

SLAG
06-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the link. Did you already get one or you won a earlier bid of his?

I won an Earlier bid on his... Just paid 5 Min. Ago.

Feedback was good

Miles
06-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Why are some of you guys opposed to using iTunes. I use it and have no problems. Is there something I am not aware of, or is it just preference. What other programs are there to use?

Mostly preference. I still think it is by far the best music software.

I bought a Creative Zen Micro last summer and it has been great. The only drawback is that I can't use iTunes to transfer music or make playlists. If I had it to do over again I would be tempted to go with an Ipod.

unlurking
06-23-2006, 06:43 PM
http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en

A friend has the archos DVR (older model with a base OS of LinuxARM), the thing is absolutely incredible. Was going to get one myself, but they switched over to Windows Mobile and I don't know anyone who has tried the newest versions yet.

Braincase
06-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I've been in the market, too, but at a recent conference I won a SanDisk Sansa E250 Media device w/ 2 GB RAM. Battery is rated at 20 hours and is field replaceable.

Holds audio/video/pics, and has an FM function and can record off of radio. Cool stuff. They have models that can hold up to 6 GB, and this one takes microSD cards as well.

the Talking Can
06-26-2006, 09:45 PM
just picked up something called an "ilo"...pretty cheap, 1 GB, voice recorder, fm/fmrecorder...drag and drop songs like flash drive...

all I wanted was something to hook up to a wireless-fm thingy so I could listen to my music in my non-cd player car...I use the recorder a lot too...pretty crappy mic, obviously

ideally, I wanted something that was more of a digital voice recorder/mp3 player combo (50/50)...this is 90% mp3 player/10% voice recorder...but the voice recorders that could handle music looked sketchy and cost more for less memory...

ok, that was pointless...

SLAG
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
just picked up something called an "ilo"...pretty cheap, 1 GB, voice recorder, fm/fmrecorder...drag and drop songs like flash drive...

all I wanted was something to hook up to a wireless-fm thingy so I could listen to my music in my non-cd player car...I use the recorder a lot too...pretty crappy mic, obviously

ideally, I wanted something that was more of a digital voice recorder/mp3 player combo (50/50)...this is 90% mp3 player/10% voice recorder...but the voice recorders that could handle music looked sketchy and cost more for less memory...

ok, that was pointless...

my cellphone doubles as my voice recorder... works well... i can then transfer the recording's to the miniSD card in the phone to transport where ever or then email them to anyone via an MMS message.

you may be able to do the same with your phone

ChiefsfaninPA
06-28-2006, 07:50 PM
my cellphone doubles as my voice recorder... works well... i can then transfer the recording's to the miniSD card in the phone to transport where ever or then email them to anyone via an MMS message.

you may be able to do the same with your phone

Hey Slag how was that MP3 you bought off ebay?

SLAG
06-28-2006, 07:54 PM
Hey Slag how was that MP3 you bought off ebay?

Its in the Mail.... It was picked up in Puerto Rico Yesterday I expect it tomorrow or Friday

ChiefsfaninPA
06-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Its in the Mail.... It was picked up in Puerto Rico Yesterday I expect it tomorrow or Friday

When you get it let me know what you think about it. It seemed like it has everything that I am looking for.

SLAG
06-28-2006, 08:03 PM
When you get it let me know what you think about it. It seemed like it has everything that I am looking for.
Will do....

I keep checking his feedback everyday and everyone still says its a great player...

so i'm hopeful http://70.87.72.152/default/images/smilies/2thumbsup.gif

Swanman
06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en

A friend has the archos DVR (older model with a base OS of LinuxARM), the thing is absolutely incredible. Was going to get one myself, but they switched over to Windows Mobile and I don't know anyone who has tried the newest versions yet.

I have the AV500 100GB player and love it so far. I originally bought the AV700 (bigger screen) but the picture pixellated too much. However, the AV500 picture is a lot better. For those unfamiliar with Archos, I believer they make the only player that you can use to directly record from a dvd player or cable box/satellite receiver to the unit. It's more expensive than the Ipod, but I think it's worth the difference. The only drawback is that it's quite a bit more bulky than an Ipod, but when you put in a screen about the size of a PSP and a 100GB hard drive, it's hard to make real small.

SLAG
06-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Got it in today..

its TINY Good bright screen... so far so good ... i have not installed anysofware on my PC just plugged it in Xfer some songs to it so far.

its a little slow when xfering Alot of songs at once... comes with the Alieze Music video and "Hotel California"

The menus and key layout i just have to get use to... i'm happy with my purchace...

let me know if there is anything else you want to know

ChiefsfaninPA
07-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Got it in today..

its TINY Good bright screen... so far so good ... i have not installed anysofware on my PC just plugged it in Xfer some songs to it so far.

its a little slow when xfering Alot of songs at once... comes with the Alieze Music video and "Hotel California"

The menus and key layout i just have to get use to... i'm happy with my purchace...

let me know if there is anything else you want to know

Still a good player?

SLAG
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Still a good player?

Yeah its done good...

Still Playing hard...

heh