PDA

View Full Version : Rooting against Priest Holmes

Logical
06-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Sure seems like there are a bunch of people who don't want to see Priest Holmes return this fall. To me this makes no sense at all. Given any choice of backups for LJ I want to see Priest return.

I am definitely curious why others may feel differently.

JBucc
06-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Some people think he's all about the money I guess. But so is every other player in the NFL. Makes no sense to me either.

Bowser
06-24-2006, 02:38 PM
I think Priest gets a bad rap from the general public for his unwillingness to talk to the media, and generally avoiding the spotlight altogether. I don't quite understand it, but I guess that's the way it is when you're famous. Either let the whole world see what you're doing 24/7, or be labled in some derogatory way.

And anyone who says the Chiefs would be better off without him is out of their minds.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 02:38 PM
I worry for his own personal sake...

I don't want to see him having problems in his 50s cause he took too many hits. He's still a human being, cash it in and live the good life when its all said and done.

Moooo

Chiefaholic
06-24-2006, 02:41 PM
If Priest can come back and contribute w/o risking long term personal health, I'm ALL FOR rooting for him to return and make the best one-two punch in the NFL.

luv
06-24-2006, 02:42 PM
I wonder how much of that season would be spent on the injured list again.

Although, as a number 2, he won't be getting hit as much. :shrug:

noa
06-24-2006, 02:49 PM
If he's healthy, Priest is the best goal line option we've got, so there's no reason to kick him to the curb.

pr_capone
06-24-2006, 02:53 PM
I would love to see priest return to the line-up, but I dont care much about paying 3.25 million for a backup RB. If I recall correctly, Priest is not willing to re-structure his contract to help out the team.

Hammock Parties
06-24-2006, 02:54 PM
No one here is rooting for Priest to retire. I daresay 100% of the membership want him to return as the backup.

4th and Long
06-24-2006, 02:58 PM
No one here is rooting for Priest to retire. I daresay 100% of the membership want him to return as the backup.
Based on the number of disparaging things I have seen some of the members post, i.e., "Priest just needs to hang it up," etc., I will disagree.

I have never, nor will I ever, understand why so many people have a problem with having both Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes on the field.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Priest is our 5th receiver

~Priest & the Beast in the same back field, please

milkman
Based on the number of disparaging things I have seen some of the members post, i.e., "Priest just needs to hang it up," etc., I will disagree.

I have never, nor will I ever, understand why so many people have a problem with having both Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes on the field.

I think that most that are perceived as Priest detrators fear the future ramifications should Priest come back, and then is given the majority of the work inside the red zone.

big nasty kcnut
Count me in as hoping priest come back.

BigRock
06-24-2006, 03:06 PM
If I recall correctly, Priest is not willing to re-structure his contract to help out the team.
Unless it was a conditional re-structuring based on whether or not the CBA was extended, he re-worked his deal a few months ago.

NCarlsCorner2
06-24-2006, 03:06 PM
maybe it has something to do with the fact that LJ showed what he can do last year when he gets the chance to play, so since Herm has said that he is the guy this year maybe it would be best to let LJ start putting up his own numbers to get into the HOF, as long as Priest is still around he still thinks that he is the guy and is already on record as saying that he will get a 1000 yards this year.

Moooo
06-24-2006, 03:09 PM
maybe it has something to do with the fact that LJ showed what he can do last year when he gets the chance to play, so since Herm has said that he is the guy this year maybe it would be best to let LJ start putting up his own numbers to get into the HOF, as long as Priest is still around he still thinks that he is the guy and is already on record as saying that he will get a 1000 yards this year.

Perhaps a clash of egos?

Moooo

Deberg_1990
06-24-2006, 03:10 PM
LJ + Priest would be a truly deadly combonation for any opposing team. If any Chiefs fan is against that they need a lobotomy.

Demonpenz
06-24-2006, 03:20 PM
we better have someone who can block fujita

4th and Long
06-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Excuse me but, so what if Priest gets 1000 yards? You say that like it's some sort of dirty phrase.

Chiefs Minor Satellite
06-24-2006, 03:33 PM
My only concern is for his health If he comes back and does not get hurt it was a good choice. If he comes back and ends up in a wheelchair it was a bad choice.

I would much rather see him retire on his terms rather than cause by what I considered a cheap shot. I know it was not called that officially, but the arm swing looked intentional to me.

How about Priest coming back as an assistant coach? If not now, when he does retire?

4th and Long
06-24-2006, 03:37 PM
My only concern is for his health If he comes back and does not get hurt it was a good choice. If he comes back and ends up in a wheelchair it was a bad choice.
Priest is a big boy and fully capable of making his own decisions.
How about Priest coming back as an assistant coach? If not now, when he does retire?
When is the last you saw a player retire and immediate take the role of an NFL coach?

jlscorpio
06-24-2006, 03:38 PM
LJ said he didn't care if Priest came back, and neither do I...

Mr. Flopnuts
06-24-2006, 03:46 PM
I agree with the assessment that there are a lot of people out there that are Chiefs fans pulling for Priest to retire. It makes me sick. The guy can still produce. I'm not keen on paying the kind of money for this 1-2 punch that we are. However, fact is, even if Priest were to hang them up this year how is that money going to help us this year? We have the money to sign Law. There really isn't much beyond that that we need (or have access to anyway). It bothers me that these same fans who want Priest to quit now are the same ones that bitch when a guy leaves for free agency to make some extra dollars. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't be pissed one guy is taking off to make some extra scratch, and in the next breath be pissed because one guy isn't quitting to help your team save some scratch. Well, you can but then as Mr. Kotter says, "You're just a douchenozzle." Here's to Priest and LJ combining for over 2000 yards and 30 TD's this year. :toast: LJ is young, he will have plenty of time to put up his "HOF worthy numbers".

Bowser
06-24-2006, 04:07 PM

Why would you feel this way?

StcChief
06-24-2006, 04:25 PM
LJ and Priest good combo if Priest is healthy, not sure of anyway to really tell with spinal cord/neck injury....
Even if X-rays show ok.....Hate to see him get perm back injury that screws up the rest of his life.

Would Q.Griffin work as well to spell LJ as needed....no but maybe our only choice.

Micheal Bennett would be a good option. Lambs will probably make a serious run at him.

KCBOSS1
06-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm a Priest fan. But I have some concerns about the matter. (1) I'm not a runningback by committee guy, I think that it disallows any back to get into a solid game tempo. (2) I would like to see LJ become a franchise guy and not be disgruntled in red anymore.

On the other hand, I love the 3rd down options with Priest still around and it may keep a strong edge to LJ.

I do like the move that Herm did in immediately announcing LJ as the starter next year and think that it clearly laid out Priest's options for him. We'll see.

chiefs4me
06-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Rooting against Priest Holmes

NEVER!!!!!

milkman
06-24-2006, 07:35 PM

LJ is a proud man, and as determined to excel as anyone I've ever seen.

He knows that blocking is an important aspect of his job, and part of how he will be judged.

He'll learn.
He'll get better.

MahiMike
06-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I worry for his own personal sake...

I don't want to see him having problems in his 50s cause he took too many hits. He's still a human being, cash it in and live the good life when its all said and done.

Moooo

ditto for me

jAZ
06-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Sure seems like there are a bunch of people who don't want to see Priest Holmes return this fall. To me this makes no sense at all. Given any choice of backups for LJ I want to see Priest return.

I haven't seen this from anyone, but it it's true... I'm speechless. That would be among the most stupid opinions/views a Chiefs fan could possibly express. Let's also start rooting for Trent Green to retire too.

milkman
06-24-2006, 09:31 PM
I haven't seen this from anyone, but it it's true... I'm speechless. That would be among the most stupid opinions/views a Chiefs fan could possibly express. Let's also start rooting for Trent Green to retire too.

Don't give the morons any ideas.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM

LJ said he didn't care if Priest came back.

PRIEST said he would NOT accept a backup role.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2006, 03:52 PM

Priest didn't say that.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Priest didn't say that.

I'll go dig up a transcript of the interview tomorrow when I get back to work.

alpha_omega
06-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I am rooting for his return!!!!!!!

bringbackmarty
06-29-2006, 04:20 PM
We need to root for him not to come back, and let him know about it, maybe sign a petition of people who think he is a pussy and only in it for the money. That his record breaking seasons were all a sham, that our line holds more than a bunch of still wet mommas in a labor and delivery ward, that he really never could block anybody, that he got his yards against soft defenses, late in games, after we were usually out of it.

Then he might come back pissed next year, and prove he is the man again.

Then we will all feel pretty stupid.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2006, 04:40 PM
I'll go dig up a transcript of the interview tomorrow when I get back to work.

We had a thread about his 810 appearance. I have him quoted as saying all he needed was a draw and a stretch play. In regards to LJ starting, he said that you don't want to take on the whole NFL by yourself.

Doesn't sound to me like he minds being a backup.

rad
06-29-2006, 04:57 PM

That would be a bold statement for a guy that isn't even medically cleared to play.

Psyko Tek
06-29-2006, 05:57 PM
I got a problem with, Priest is the best goal line option we've got,no offense to any of you).
But jebus, with our line and LJ's running style anywhere inside the 5 should be money for him

that said I would love to see them run a "T" style on 3rd down with Trent calling the plays off defensive reads....

think of the damage that could cause to defense coordinators sleep patterns

Moooo
06-29-2006, 05:58 PM
I got a problem with, Priest is the best goal line option we've got,no offense to any of you).
But jebus, with our line and LJ's running style anywhere inside the 5 should be money for him

that said I would love to see them run a "T" style on 3rd down with Trent calling the plays off defensive reads....

think of the damage that could cause to defense coordinators sleep patterns

LJ runs standing up a lot more than Priest. Between the 20s that's good, but in the goal line it doesn't work as well as Holmes worming his way in.

Moooo

hypersensitiveZO6
06-29-2006, 06:15 PM
LJ runs standing up a lot more than Priest. Between the 20s that's good, but in the goal line it doesn't work as well as Holmes worming his way in.

Moooo

Holmes is goaline/short yardage jumper and 3rd down blocker. Very key roles if he comes back.

HemiEd
06-29-2006, 06:21 PM

IMO anyone that does not want Priest to return has forgotten about some of the pitiful RBs we have had over the years. They are spoiled and have been viewing things from the Penthouse with Priest and LJ.

stevieray
06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Priest Holmes brought a spotlight to KC that had been missing since the mid-nineties.

While his right to privacy turns some off, his legacy in KC has already been established. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he came back accepting a relief role, making our running game go beserk, including the capabilities it presents in the red zone.

We might live in a throwaway sports world, but I'll always be a huge fan of PH, regardless if he returns or not.

PastorMikH
06-29-2006, 07:00 PM
For those not wanting Priest, what happens if we head into the season with LJ and D Brown, then LJ gets a knee twisted up in a pile and goes to IR. I'm not liking that thought too much.

Also, take note, IF LJ comes out and faulters for a few games, everyone in the stands on on this BB will be crying out for Priest to be the starter.

Halfcan
06-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Count my vote for PH. He should be the starter.

Just jokin ya-lol

Mecca
06-29-2006, 09:21 PM
If Holmes comes back I don't see any way he's "the goalline back". That's a sure fire way to get Larry Johnson pissed, Holmes can play a relief role but he shouldn't be taking every goalline carry.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
LJ should get the ball on first and second down in goal-to-go situations. If he fails to punch it in, he's had his chance. Bring in Priest.

Big Dick Jones
06-29-2006, 09:33 PM
LJ should get the ball on first and second down in goal-to-go situations. If he fails to punch it in, he's had his change. Bring in Priest.
Yes, then he's had his change.

OldTownChief
06-29-2006, 09:36 PM
If he fails to punch it in, he's had his change.

One of the drawbacks of spell check.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm surprised there was no diaper comment.

ChiefFan31
06-29-2006, 11:28 PM
For those not wanting Priest, what happens if we head into the season with LJ and D Brown, then LJ gets a knee twisted up in a pile and goes to IR. I'm not liking that thought too much.

Also, take note, IF LJ comes out and faulters for a few games, everyone in the stands on on this BB will be crying out for Priest to be the starter.

Good Point Man.

It popped into my mind reading your post. That 4th and 2 where LJ came out winded. and we had Dee Brown in the game. (argggh, what game was that??) I dont member. wait..Denver game at home??

Having a backup as solid as Priest Holmes is nothing but a good thing. IMO.

Rausch
06-29-2006, 11:30 PM
I'd love to see Priest make it back...

Moooo
06-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Good Point Man.

It popped into my mind reading your post. That 4th and 2 where LJ came out winded. and we had Dee Brown in the game. (argggh, what game was that??) I dont member. wait..Denver game at home??

Having a backup as solid as Priest Holmes is nothing but a good thing. IMO.

Am I the only one who thinks this is actually going to happen? I don't see LJ getting a rushing title, letalone 2,000 yards. I still think someone who is young and so far injury-free is the way to go as a starter, even if Priest could possibly be better.

Moooo

greg63
06-29-2006, 11:51 PM

I would love to see Holmes return; if he can remain healthy. What I don't want to is him wheeling away from the game instead of walking away.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 07:56 AM
We had a thread about his 810 appearance. I have him quoted as saying all he needed was a draw and a stretch play. In regards to LJ starting, he said that you don't want to take on the whole NFL by yourself.

Doesn't sound to me like he minds being a backup.

I'm looking for it now. I know about the 810 appearance. This was on a national show. He said something to the effect of "I'm a starter, not a number 2".

KCTitus
06-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Silliness...Holmes definately is needed and valuable part of this team.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Silliness...Holmes definately is needed and valuable part of this team.

I'm quite certain this topic is about me at least in some way.

I've been accused of hating on Priest, wanting him to fail, etc.

There's a difference between wanting what's best for the team and "rooting against Priest".

I've heard things out of Priest and his camp that concern me -- he may not be happy with being a backup, he's really just interested in coming back because he wants his money, etc.

I'm not saying any of these things are reasonable or true. But they SHOULD be cause for concern.

This is the KANSAS CITY CHIEFS, not Priest Holmes' Chiefs.

Logical
06-30-2006, 08:19 AM

There's a difference between wanting what's best for the team and "rooting against Priest".

I've heard things out of Priest and his camp that concern me -- he may not be happy with being a backup, he's really just interested in coming back because he wants his money, etc.

I'm not saying any of these things are reasonable or true. But they SHOULD be cause for concern.

You are one but at least you have been honorable and stood up and admitted it.

Eskimo Joe
06-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Why speculate?

Just wait and see what happens.

It might save on the anti-acids.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 08:22 AM
You are one but at least you have been honorable and stood up and admitted it.

I've done so on many occasions with this particular topic.

It's not a popular opinion, but I'm holding to it.

I only want Priest to come back if it doesn't hurt the team. I was a fan before he arrived and I will be after he leaves.

That does not mean, in any way, that I don't appreciate what he's done for this team. Hell, I've got a whole corner of a room dedicated JUST TO HIM.

KCTitus
06-30-2006, 08:28 AM

There's also a difference between 'rooting against Priest' and being concerned that he may not have the teams best interests at heart. I hope he is able and wants to play this season. The team could use his talent.

Lzen
06-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I only want Priest to come back if it doesn't hurt the team. I was a fan before he arrived and I will be after he leaves.

That does not mean, in any way, that I don't appreciate what he's done for this team. Hell, I've got a whole corner of a room dedicated JUST TO HIM.

I agree with this.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 08:31 AM
There's also a difference between 'rooting against Priest' and being concerned that he may not have the teams best interests at heart. I hope he is able and wants to play this season. The team could use his talent.

Thank you.

You described my opinion to the letter.

bringbackmarty
06-30-2006, 08:37 AM
I've done so on many occasions with this particular topic.

It's not a popular opinion, but I'm holding to it.

I think you are bullshitting about him not accepting a backup role, Priest will play backup for the chiefs this year. If he doesn't he will retire. He is not going to be a starter anywhere, not going to be traded somewhere else, the only way he will start is if l.j. gets hurt, or in trouble.

There is no way ph can hurt the team, if he comes back. No way, not possible. Hurt the team how? by blocking fujita? Scoring touchdowns.

What a complete shit topic. this place sucks.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I think you are bullshitting about him not accepting a backup role, Priest will play backup for the chiefs this year. If he doesn't he will retire. He is not going to be a starter anywhere, not going to be traded somewhere else, the only way he will start is if l.j. gets hurt, or in trouble.

There is no way ph can hurt the team, if he comes back. No way, not possible. Hurt the team how? by blocking fujita? Scoring touchdowns.

What a complete shit topic. this place sucks.

Then go somewhere else.

ChiefFripp
06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
I want Priest Holmes to recover and outshine that crybaby LJ.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 12:03 PM

That's why I love this place.

jlscorpio
06-30-2006, 12:11 PM
how is LJ a crybaby?

ChiefFan31
06-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is actually going to happen? I don't see LJ getting a rushing title, letalone 2,000 yards. I still think someone who is young and so far injury-free is the way to go as a starter, even if Priest could possibly be better.

Moooo

Im a little confused by your post here.

I do think LJ is the leading candidate for a rushing title, and has a real legitimate change of being a 2000+ yard rusher. He IS young, injury free and ready to take a pounding. No doubt about it.

But, it still would be very nice to have Priest as a backup. I dont think anyone has confidence in Dee Brown if he ended up having to start a game or two this season. Yikes!

CupidStunt
06-30-2006, 01:55 PM

Unfortunately for you, I wants don't get.

I hope you enjoy when Johnson runs for close to 2000 yards and Holmes is warming the bench for him.

ChiefFripp
06-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately for you, I wants don't get.

I hope you enjoy when Johnson runs for close to 2000 yards and Holmes is warming the bench for him.
I'll enjoy that if it happens . I'd rather it be Priest, but if LJ achieves 2,000 yards it can only be a good thing for The Chiefs right?

ChiefFripp
06-30-2006, 02:11 PM
how is LJ a crybaby?
That's the impression I got of him while he was benched in favor of Priest. Seems like he should of just been greatful learning from someone who was at the time the best RB in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, LJ is the man but Priest has always been my favorite Chief. I'd like to see them work together for atleast one season with no ego clashes, just some kickass running before the running game is handed fully over to LJ.

jspchief
06-30-2006, 02:58 PM
how is LJ a crybaby?I suggest you read the ESPN Magazine article about LJ. He's acted like a spoiled child in KC more than he's been a stand up guy.

The notion that people take shots at Holmes when LJ has been such a punk is astounding.

CupidStunt
07-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Priest has never been the best back in the NFL.

Ever.

milkman
07-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Priest has never been the best back in the NFL.

Ever.

The 3 year period from '01 to '03 would serve as evidence to the contrary.

CupidStunt
07-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Not really. He was at his best in '01 (with less support) but I would've taken Faulk over him. Since then, I wouldn't have him as the #1 back at any point.

JMO, of course.

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I suggest you read the ESPN Magazine article about LJ. He's acted like a spoiled child in KC more than he's been a stand up guy.

The notion that people take shots at Holmes when LJ has been such a punk is astounding.

He's acted like a guy who wants to play football. Hard to fault him for that, especially when the 70-year-old man that's supposed to be his boss acts like a baby too.

bringbackmarty
07-01-2006, 02:32 PM
do we know what the insider article said?

jspchief
07-01-2006, 02:55 PM
He's acted like a guy who wants to play football. Hard to fault him for that, especially when the 70-year-old man that's supposed to be his boss acts like a baby too.I don't fault him for wanting to play football. I fault him for handling it like a 5 year old that doesn't get a toy at the store.

Vermeil handling it poorly doesn't excuse LJ for also handling it poorly.

My point is, it's hypocritical to call Holmes out for alledged attitude problems while ignoring that LJ has had major attitude problems himself.

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't fault him for wanting to play football. I fault him for handling it like a 5 year old that doesn't get a toy at the store.

Vermeil handling it poorly doesn't excuse LJ for also handling it poorly.

My point is, it's hypocritical to call Holmes out for alledged attitude problems while ignoring that LJ has had major attitude problems himself.

Who's calling out Holmes? I must have missed that.

T-Nasty24
07-01-2006, 04:29 PM
How could any1 root against Priest?

Chief Pote
07-01-2006, 04:38 PM
I hope he stays. Can anyone think of a backup of the same quality as Priest Holmes, no one is even close.

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 04:39 PM
How could any1 root against Priest?

In reality, nobody is.

jspchief
07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Who's calling out Holmes? I must have missed that.You pretty much did in post #58.

You claim to be worried about his attitude, but I haven't seen you voice any concern over LJ's attitude. Holmes has never done anything but give 100% on the football field, but all of a sudden he's going to be a detriment to the team. Meanwhile, LJ sulks his way through practices and meetings if he doesn't get his way, but you're not concerned about it?

All I'm saying is if you hold the two to the same standard, LJ has given us more reson to be concerned than Priest has.

This is where you insert a comment about your super secret inside info. Which if you were really as confident in it as you claim to be, you'd just tell us what the **** you're talking about instead dropping hints in every thread on the topic. Who's your source Athan?