PDA

View Full Version : That was kind of weird.

Rain Man
06-24-2006, 10:53 PM
A few minutes ago, my doorbell rang. It's 10:00 at night here, so that in itself was a little unusual.

I went downstairs, and there was a woman at my door who looked rather "low-rent" if you know what I mean. She was obviously pregnant, and also had a small dog with her.

She said, "I don't want to alarm you, but I'm in labor. It's not an emergency, but I'm about to have a baby."

Now, this is bad of me to say, but I'm looking at this woman and thinking 'Scam...or real?'

I offered to call 911 for her.

She said, "No, I don't need 911. My contractions are at 45 minutes."

I said, "What do you want me to do?"

She was exceedingly polite, and said, "I don't want to bother you, and I hate to intrude, but I need a ride."

"A ride?"

"Yeah, I live on the next block, but my mom is up at [area about 6 miles northwest of us]. I need to get to my mom."

This made me a little suspicious, because there are no houses on the next block up from us, just a school and a grocery store. "Where do you live?"

She then gave an address that was two blocks north, which has lots of apartments and is reasonable. It's feasible that a person could walk their dog in our area from there.

"I think I should call 911."

"No, no, I don't need 911. I hate to ask, but I just need a ride. Maybe you could just call me a cab."

"Ah. That's it. I'll call you a cab."

"Except I don't have any money for a cab."

Dang it. At this point, I'm not a happy camper. I'll admit it. If this woman was well-dressed and not kind of skanky-looking, I'd've probably have been much more welcoming. I said, "You want me to take you to a hospital?" (There are three hospitals within a couple of miles of our house.)

"No, I just need my mom."

Okay, now, this woman was Hispanic, and I'm thinking, "Do Hispanic women prefer to give birth outside a hospital?" But this woman was an American Hispanic, not an immigrant. Her English was perfect.

She said, "Do you have kids?"

"No."

She then said, "I'm pregnant, and the more I think about it, I don't want to take a chance of messing up your car if my water breaks. Can you give me $12 or $15 for a cab? I've got a phone, so I can call for it."

So I went upstairs and told my wife what was happening. She said, "Scam," but of course it's easy to say that when you aren't the one standing on the front porch with this well-spoken, polite woman.

I went back downstairs and said, "I really should call 911. Let me do that."

She then said, "No, that's not necessary. I'm sorry to bother you, and I appreciate your help. I just need to figure out how to get to my mom's house." She then left.

I shut out my light and watched her, and instead of going back north to the address she told me, she went west at the corner.

The whole thing weirded me out, and I told my wife. She said, "If she had a phone, why isn't she just calling her mother?" Good point.

It had to be a scam, but boy, the whole thing made me very uneasy. What if it's not, and she can't afford a car?

EDIT: I was about to say that I called the police to report it, but while I was typing this, a policeman just came to my door. She's a scammer, and they said that she did exactly the same thing to someone last week. That person called 911, and the police and fire department showed up, but she left and they couldn't find her.

Man, I hate thieves.

KCBOSS1
06-24-2006, 11:02 PM
That is the strangest scam that I've ever heard of. I probably would have been a sucker for that one. But I would have driven her somewhere, I'm sure.

SLAG
06-24-2006, 11:05 PM
i would have asked for more than $15..

Rain Man
06-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah, it's an effective scam because it plays off a lot of guilt. I was feeling like a real heel to be suspicious of her. Who wouldn't want to help a pregnant woman?

I'm glad the police showed up and said it was a scam, because I was feeling pretty bad about it.

Rain Man
06-24-2006, 11:07 PM
i would have asked for more than $15..

Yeah, but I would've figured out pretty quickly that you weren't pregnant.

SLAG
06-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, but I would've figured out pretty quickly that you weren't pregnant.

heh... my belly could fool you..

:p

Phobia
06-24-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, but I would've figured out pretty quickly that you weren't pregnant.I'm not so sure about that. He's either pregnant or he has a large tuma.

greg63
06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
heh... my belly could fool you..

I've been mistaken for being about 11 months along before. ROFL

DaFace
06-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Weird. I wonder what benefit she would have gained if you had actually decided to give her a ride. Is she just lookin for a free taxi, or was this all about getting $15 the whole time? Hmm...

milkman
06-24-2006, 11:21 PM
You should have gotten her name so you could search for her at privateeye.com.

joesomebody
06-24-2006, 11:27 PM
I had something similar about a week ago. I was at Wal-Mart, just got into my Jeep and this 50ish looking hispanic woman looks up. She definitely looks a little worse for wear, and is extremely polite to me. She tells me that her husband and she had just arrived in Utah a few days ago from Seattle, and that their car cracked a head. She is pregnant, and they need about 10 more dollars for a hotel room for the night. She claims to be having back trouble, and she had a bottle of pills in her hand.

I had no cash on me, as I basically use my debit card for everything, and I felt that this was for sure a scam.

She was very polite, but I hate it when I have to deal with these situations. I just always want to help these people, but at the same time I wish they would just leave me alone.

Not sure if she was preggo or not, she certainly looked a little old to be.

blueballs
06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
what was the
dog's cut

Moooo
06-24-2006, 11:38 PM
So, the mom didn't have a phone, and the laboring chick only had a cell phone? I'm not following something. She was probably going to the house beside you or something to find someone else. I would if I couldn't walk very well or so.

Then again, I'd just give them 15 bucks. If they need it so bad that they are willing to knock on someone's door at 10 p.m. they need it more than me, even if its for drugs.

Moooo

SLAG
06-24-2006, 11:46 PM
So, the mom didn't have a phone, and the laboring chick only had a cell phone? I'm not following something. She was probably going to the house beside you or something to find someone else. I would if I couldn't walk very well or so.

Then again, I'd just give them 15 bucks. If they need it so bad that they are willing to knock on someone's door at 10 p.m. they need it more than me, even if its for drugs.

Moooo

whats your address again? :hmmm:

tk13
06-25-2006, 12:11 AM
I've been attacked by the guys in the white van selling speakers at "super low prices". You know, because they have extra inventory and they just want some beer money on the side.

I actually didn't know about this scam at the time, but I thought it was pretty fishy. I actually listened to the whole spiel. I made him take the speakers out of the box, I actually just wanted to look to see if there was a serial number on them. So then I just toyed with the guy to see how far I could talk him down. IIRC, I think he started out in the 500-700 dollar range. I actually got him down to like $150, which is way lower than most people get him. I tried to get him down to $100 but he wouldn't budge. So he went on his way. If you look up that scam on the internet you find a lot of people fell for it though, I couldn't find anyone who paid less than $200-300 though.

Moooo
06-25-2006, 12:12 AM
whats your address again? :hmmm:

Sorry, but this has only happened to me twice... in all of my days. Those few times, I take my losses just to make sure someone isn't going to plop a kid out on the sidewalk in front of my apartment.

But I'm like that. Like there was a homeless guy rummaging through the dumpster at my apartment, and when he wasn'tlooking a put a fiver on his backpack. Then a homeless guy came up to me at the Taco Bell asking for some money for a cup of coffee. I gave him two bucks. The way I see it even if he spent it on booze, I'd probably be wasted too if I was homeless.

This reminds me of a funny story. I was in Minneapolis on a school trip, and we were walking around in the skywalk. There's a guy who is homeless, and he's asking for money. I was the only one out of a group of about 50 to give him anything, and in response he says, "Thanks man, I'll make sure nothing happens to you tonight." It REALLY creeped me out.

Moooo

SLAG
06-25-2006, 12:27 AM
Sorry, but this has only happened to me twice... in all of my days. Those few times, I take my losses just to make sure someone isn't going to plop a kid out on the sidewalk in front of my apartment.

But I'm like that. Like there was a homeless guy rummaging through the dumpster at my apartment, and when he wasn'tlooking a put a fiver on his backpack. Then a homeless guy came up to me at the Taco Bell asking for some money for a cup of coffee. I gave him two bucks. The way I see it even if he spent it on booze, I'd probably be wasted too if I was homeless.

This reminds me of a funny story. I was in Minneapolis on a school trip, and we were walking around in the skywalk. There's a guy who is homeless, and he's asking for money. I was the only one out of a group of about 50 to give him anything, and in response he says, "Thanks man, I'll make sure nothing happens to you tonight." It REALLY creeped me out.

Moooo

ROFL Id be creeped out too..

I have had beggers come up to me in every part of the world... one guy wanted money for food and for a headache I took him inside the grocery store bought him some advil and a Sammitch and he wanted to give me his coat as payment... I said keep it.... another dude in chicago said he was a vet and wanted 3 bucks to eat... so i gave it to hime and sure enough he went right into mcdonalds and bought some food.... I just know i would want people to help me out if i needed it.. this life is too unpredictable it could happen to any of us

58-4ever
06-25-2006, 12:30 AM

Moooo

Man, I bet those homeless dudes love suckers like you. I had this hobo come to my bar the other day and ask how much it was for a shot of tequila, and I told him 5 bucks plus tax. He scoffs and orders a water.

Being the stoner I am when I first get to work, I walk into the walk-in to get some limes...and get back to the bar where my well tequila and the hobo were gone. Actually, when I think of that story I it kind of amuses me. After all, it wasn't my tequila. I hope he had fun with it.

58-4ever
06-25-2006, 12:33 AM

I have had beggers come up to me in every part of the world... one guy wanted money for food and for a headache I took him inside the grocery store bought him some advil and a Sammitch and he wanted to give me his coat as payment... I said keep it.... another dude in chicago said he was a vet and wanted 3 bucks to eat... so i gave it to hime and sure enough he went right into mcdonalds and bought some food.... I just know i would want people to help me out if i needed it.. this life is too unpredictable it could happen to any of us

Yeah, I bought a dude a sub at a Subway once. I could tell he wanted more, but all he could afford was the 99 cent Egg sandwich. I chipped in 5 so he could get a better meal.

Bugeater
06-25-2006, 12:35 AM

Moooo
You're just enabling them. Knock it off.

Bugeater
06-25-2006, 12:38 AM

I don't believe that. Those people live that lifestyle because they want to, they don't want any sort of responsibility.

bringbackmarty
06-25-2006, 12:40 AM
I'm not so sure about that. He's either pregnant or he has a large tuma.

I just was reading and before I scrolled to the next post I thought....Tumor, and then I thought where in the hell is Phil?

I have been here too long....

luv
06-25-2006, 12:40 AM
You're just enabling them. Knock it off.
No kidding. So far, you've wasted at least $7. Nowadays, that's 1/4 tank of gas.

SLAG
06-25-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't believe that. Those people live that lifestyle because they want to, they don't want any sort of responsibility.

I totally agree with you to a certin point... but there are some folks out there that are really to dumb to do things on their own.... Some by their own choices (Drugs, Gasoline Fights etc...) others born with out the IQ or Brain Capacity to be an productive member socitiy, some people need a helping hand to get on the right path... other ****ed up situations could happen to where you need some help to get you over a slump even if you dug the hole yourself.... im not aganst anyone trying to improve themself.

Bugeater
06-25-2006, 12:43 AM
No kidding. So far, you've wasted at least $7. Nowadays, that's 1/4 tank of gas.
Maybe in your little putt-putt car, that would barely get my van off of E.

luv
06-25-2006, 12:45 AM
I totally agree with you to a certin point... but there are some folks out there that are really to dumb to do things on their own.... Some by their own choices (Drugs, Gasoline Fights etc...) others born with out the IQ or Brain Capacity to be an productive member socitiy, some people need a helping hand to get on the right path... other ****ed up situations could happen to where you need some help to get you over a slump even if you dug the hole yourself.... im not aganst anyone trying to improve themself.
If I was hard up for money, I'd work at McDonald's. I wouldn't try to con people out of money. If they earn money, maybe they'll spend it more wisely. If it's given to them, they're just gonna go get more drugs. Hell, either way, they're probably just gonna get more drugs. At least with a real job, they could afford a pos car to go pick them up in.

SLAG
06-25-2006, 12:51 AM
If I was hard up for money, I'd work at McDonald's. I wouldn't try to con people out of money. If they earn money, maybe they'll spend it more wisely. If it's given to them, they're just gonna go get more drugs. Hell, either way, they're probably just gonna get more drugs. At least with a real job, they could afford a pos car to go pick them up in.

Yeah but what if its Friday and you dont start McDonalds til Monday... Have no Money.. no place to go... it would suck balls... Im not talking about helping out the Con's and their drug habits i mean helping the people that just NEED help at that point in their life... i mean the drug addicts NEED help as well just a different kind....

Bugeater
06-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Very, very few are interested in improving themselves. If you want to be homeless and collect cans & scrap metal for your food & booze, that's fine with me. But when they just constantly hit up those of us who assume some responsibility in our lives, that's bullshit. I've had ****ed up shit happen to me and I've made bad decisions, but I've never been anywhere near having to beg for my meals.

luv
06-25-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah but what if its Friday and you dont start McDonalds til Monday... Have no Money.. no place to go... it would suck balls... Im not talking about helping out the Con's and their drug habits i mean helping the people that just NEED help at that point in their life... i mean the drug addicts NEED help as well just a different kind....
In Springfield, there's the Victory Mission, Salvation Army, and I believe they've made the Missouri Motel up to be a place that takes in people like that. There are options.

SLAG
06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Very, very few are interested in improving themselves. If you want to be homeless and collect cans & scrap metal for your food & booze, that's fine with me. But when they just constantly hit up those of us who assume some responsibility in our lives, that's bullshit. I've had ****ed up shit happen to me and I've made bad decisions, but I've never been anywhere near having to beg for my meals.

Rock Bottom.

once you hit it you have to go up.

once you are so low... so deep into shit.. yes sure by your own choices.. but when you flip the switch and take resposiblity for your actions and want to really change... those are the ones that i would have no problem helping... i'm not saying the dudes i hooked up were in that situation but i mean life is crazy.... Wrong place wrong time situations... IDK..... Maybe those kids that never found Big John Croyle's ranch, or Fr. Bosco's Boys Town that had no choice in where they ended up... you get the idea

Logical
06-25-2006, 01:36 AM
I have to wonder of Kevin has a death wish, answering the door at 10pm or later. I would have ignored any asshole at my door that late.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-25-2006, 01:47 AM
I have to wonder of Kevin has a death wish, answering the door at 10pm or later. I would have ignored any asshole at my door that late.

It's a quarter to four here on the east coast and I just had some dude knock on my door. I went and flung it open to some scared shitless hispanic guy drunk off his ass. He mumbled wrong house and went on. After I closed the door I silently thanked God the guy didn't have a gun.

SLAG
06-25-2006, 01:48 AM
It's a quarter to four here on the east coast and I just had some dude knock on my door. I went and flung it open to some scared shitless hispanic guy drunk off his ass. He mumbled wrong house and went on. After I closed the door I silently thanked God the guy didn't have a gun.

that was you stumbling into the bathroom facing the mirror...

KCChiefsMan
06-25-2006, 03:02 AM
I went to the bar tonight and some older guy, probably mid-40's, maybe 50's kept talking to me and he was very very drunk and he was kinda begging, and he asked me if I could buy him a beer because he didnt have any money, so I went ahead and gave him $3 and told him that big beers are on special for $3 and then 5 min later the bartenders/owners/bouncer kicked him out and then Jake, the bouncer came up to me and handed me $5 and said that is what I gave him, and they wouldn't serve him and took that from him and I said.....but I only gave him $3 and you don't need to give me my money back...I'm just too nice sometimes, and he proceeded to give me the $5...

Rausch
06-25-2006, 03:11 AM
It's a scam because you honestly believe it isn't...

IA_Chiefs_fan
06-25-2006, 06:27 AM
I was leaving Walmart with my wife and kids two weeks ago and a lady was holding up a sign that her family was stranded without food or transportation and they needed food. I drove past, avoiding eye contact and then my kids started asking questions about the situation. We don't live in a big city so it is not something they see everyday. I turned around, went to the Wendy's next to Walmart, bought 6 hamburgers and took them to her. She thanked me and asked if Jesus was my saviour. I nodded and got the hell out of there. The whole time I'm thinking it's a scam. I left but circled back around to see if she threw them away from an adjacent parking lot. She walked to a nearby bench and began eating them faster than I've ever seen someone eat before. I would say she was mentally ill and was in need of help, and she definitely was hungry too. I left feeling glad I could help and sad at the same time. We all had a long talk on the 30 minute trip home.

milkman
06-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I was leaving Walmart with my wife and kids two weeks ago and a lady was holding up a sign that her family was stranded without food or transportation and they needed food. I drove past, avoiding eye contact and then my kids started asking questions about the situation. We don't live in a big city so it is not something they see everyday. I turned around, went to the Wendy's next to Walmart, bought 6 hamburgers and took them to her. She thanked me and asked if Jesus was my saviour. I nodded and got the hell out of there. The whole time I'm thinking it's a scam. I left but circled back around to see if she threw them away from an adjacent parking lot. She walked to a nearby bench and began eating them faster than I've ever seen someone eat before. I would say she was mentally ill and was in need of help, and she definitely was hungry too. I left feeling glad I could help and sad at the same time. We all had a long talk on the 30 minute trip home.

Selfish bitch didn't share with her family!?!

Rain Man
06-25-2006, 11:43 AM
what was the
dog's cut

The funny part was that the police asked me for a description of the woman, and I was able to give physical generalities, but I couldn't remember what clothes she was wearing or how long her hair was or anything. However, I could describe the dog very well; I'm an animal fan, so I was looking at the dog more than the woman.

Predarat
06-25-2006, 11:45 AM
I once had a homeless man ask me for money but actually admit it was for booze. I had to admire that, both the honesty and the objective of buying booze so I gave him a few bucks.

Bugeater
06-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I once had a homeless man ask me for money but actually admit it was for booze. I had to admire that, both the honesty and the objective of buying booze so I gave him a few bucks.

blueballs
06-25-2006, 11:58 AM
steady hand
with the marker

Demonpenz
06-25-2006, 12:00 PM
You should have hit her in her gut and taken her money. What is she going to do...call the cops?

CosmicPal
06-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry 'bout that Kevin.

I told Maria I'd give her some money if she would stop harrassing the neighbors with a pillow under her blouse. I don't know why she keeps doing that- maybe it's because I said I could make a better plate of tacos than she can. She hasn't been the same since. I'm keeping her on a leash now...it won't happen again.

Hammock Parties
06-25-2006, 02:04 PM
So was she using a pillow or something? Punch her in the stomach.

Adept Havelock
06-25-2006, 02:22 PM
Rock Bottom.

once you hit it you have to go up.

once you are so low... so deep into shit.. yes sure by your own choices.. but when you flip the switch and take resposiblity for your actions and want to really change... those are the ones that i would have no problem helping... i'm not saying the dudes i hooked up were in that situation but i mean life is crazy.... Wrong place wrong time situations... IDK..... Maybe those kids that never found Big John Croyle's ranch, or Fr. Bosco's Boys Town that had no choice in where they ended up... you get the idea

Right there with you. Good on' ya!!

I've helped quite a few people. If it's more than a quick feed or a couple of pieces of warm clothing though, I damn well want to see positive effort from them, or it's time to close the wallet and cut my losses.

SLAG
06-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Right there with you. Good on' ya!!

I've helped quite a few people. If it's more than a quick feed or a couple of pieces of warm clothing though, I damn well want to see positive effort from them, or it's time to close the wallet and cut my losses.

Thanks

I'm not in a position to really rehablititate anyone but i do what i can

jidar
06-26-2006, 11:20 PM
That's why I always ask to feel the womans cervix.

picasso
06-26-2006, 11:49 PM
The first sign is that she is in labor and her water didn't break yet. The other is that any person in a situation like that would want to go to a doctor unless she was illegal. And even then it's for free.

Talisman
06-27-2006, 12:08 AM
In cases like this I always remember what my dad used to say:

"Don't be baited unless you see they're dialated."

ExtremeChief
06-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Aarrghhhh! A rare Talisman sighting!!!