PDA

View Full Version : Need a new desktop.....recommendations?

KevB
06-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm moving toward using some desktop video editing/DVD burning for camcorder video, and it appears my current desktop may not be sufficient (AMD Athlon XP - 2.16 ghz, 160GB, 512MB, 64MB w/ the video card). This would turn into the kid's computer, which is something I wanted to do at some point any way.

I know many here talk about building your own, but I'm not a computer geek by any stretch. Not sure I could pull that off. Dell outlet seems to have some good deals. I'd assume New Egg has some decent deals, but haven't looked yet. Then there's always the B&M mega stores that you can sometimes find a price leader and get a good deal. Any recommendations?

HC_Chief
06-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Your current system is actually sufficient. I would up the RAM to 2GB and put in a good video card.

DaFace
06-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Dell has some pretty good deals on their machines, but they've made their new "basic" systems (B110, E310, E510 - I think) pretty non-upgradable. They're nonstandard motherboards, nowhere for video card upgrades (except for the 510's maybe), SATA drives exclusively, etc. If you're going with a Dell, spend the extra money for one of their XPS systems. It'll be worth it in the long run.

And I'm kinda indifferent about brands these days. Dell, HP, Compaq - whatever. HP and Compaq have had a bad rap in the past, but they seem to be improving. Dell's good, but not if you ever have to communicate with them on the phone. That's a nightmare.

KevB
06-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Your current system is actually sufficient. I would up the RAM to 2GB and put in a good video card.

One issue I've run into is that I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, attempted to install, and it said my system needed to be SSE2 compliant. Well, an Athlon XP isn't. Then I started to look closer, and my video card and RAM seemed insufficient (as you suggested). Being that this pc is roughly 3-4 years old, I figured the whole thing is probably on the bottom edge of a system that will allow me to edit/burn video at an acceptable rate. I appreciate your feedback.

NewChief
06-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Just to crossthread:

Get yourself a Mac G5 and get FCP. :P

KevB
06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Anybody else in the weekday crowd have an opinion? The Dell Outlet has gotten my attention. I can get an XPS 400 with dual core Pentium 3.0, a gig of RAM, 250 gig hard drive, nice video card, Windows Media Center for in the neighborhood of $750. It's certified refurb, with a 1 year warranty (option to buy more of course). Not a hardcore gamer, but will be used to edit/save/burn video and pictures.

HC_Chief
06-26-2006, 01:38 PM
One issue I've run into is that I purchased Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, attempted to install, and it said my system needed to be SSE2 compliant. Well, an Athlon XP isn't. Then I started to look closer, and my video card and RAM seemed insufficient (as you suggested). Being that this pc is roughly 3-4 years old, I figured the whole thing is probably on the bottom edge of a system that will allow me to edit/burn video at an acceptable rate. I appreciate your feedback.

Interesting. The AMD Opteron is SSE-compliant, as is the Athlon 64. You obviously don't have one of those ;)

That XPS 400 looks like a good deal.

Mr. Laz
06-26-2006, 01:41 PM
AMD64x2 proc

2GB of ram (if not more, cause memory is really cheap now)

PCI-E Sli mobo (mobo has 2 video card slots that can run together, Asus is good)

2 best graphic cards you can afford (Nvidia 6800 GS :) )

SATA compatible mobo

Hammock Parties
06-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Get two gigs of RAM if you're going to do alot of video editing. I have one gig and it chugs sometimes when I'm putting together my highlight reels. I'd get another GB but I don't edit video that often.

KevB
06-27-2006, 12:00 AM
Would anybody care to shoot holes in this Acer desktop?

Acer MCE desktop (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2179806&Tab=0&NoMapp=0)

It's got the Athlon 64X2, 2GB of RAM, 300Gig hard drive, decent video card (keeping in mind I'm not a heavy gamer), a WinTV PVR w/ analog video capture, etc. This really appears like a solid choice that gives me the options I need to edit photos/video, along with a few toys (TV). I also have numerous old 8mm home videos as well as VCR tapes I'd like to burn to DVD. This appears to give me the tools to do just that.

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2006, 07:22 AM
AVID. There is none other.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVID-Media-Composer-PC-Adrenaline-Edit-Suite_W0QQitemZ7631595438QQihZ017QQcategoryZ21166QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 07:38 AM
Would anybody care to shoot holes in this Acer desktop?

Acer MCE desktop (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2179806&Tab=0&NoMapp=0)

It's got the Athlon 64X2, 2GB of RAM, 300Gig hard drive, decent video card (keeping in mind I'm not a heavy gamer), a WinTV PVR w/ analog video capture, etc. This really appears like a solid choice that gives me the options I need to edit photos/video, along with a few toys (TV). I also have numerous old 8mm home videos as well as VCR tapes I'd like to burn to DVD. This appears to give me the tools to do just that.

I've never had anything but bad luck with Acer desktops. They rank right up their with Dell laptops in number of failures per unit purchased.

KevB
06-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I've never had anything but bad luck with Acer desktops. They rank right up their with Dell laptops in number of failures per unit purchased.

Forgive my ignorance, but with the HPs, Acers, Compaqs, Dells, etc. using nearly identical components....what makes an Acer less reliable than say, a Dell? Is it the build quality, fans, something else?

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but with the HPs, Acers, Compaqs, Dells, etc. using nearly identical components....what makes an Acer less reliable than say, a Dell? Is it the build quality, fans, something else?

Assembly and QA testing.

I've had Acer desktops (and Dell laptops) where memory wasn't seated correctly when it arrived at my door.

DaFace
06-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Assembly and QA testing.

I've had Acer desktops (and Dell laptops) where memory wasn't seated correctly when it arrived at my door.

What are your feelings on the brand to buy these days? I usually recommend either Dells or HP/Compaq for home users, but it seems that none of the major companies really have a sparkling reputation. IBM/Lenovo machines seem to be solid, but they're really geared toward business use. Sony's seem to be OK, but cost around 20% more for the same specifications as some of the others.

Just curious to see what someone else thinks on the subject. It's tough to really get any solid information on "who's best" these days.

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
What are your feelings on the brand to buy these days? I usually recommend either Dells or HP/Compaq for home users, but it seems that none of the major companies really have a sparkling reputation. IBM/Lenovo machines seem to be solid, but they're really geared toward business use. Sony's seem to be OK, but cost around 20% more for the same specifications as some of the others.

Just curious to see what someone else thinks on the subject. It's tough to really get any solid information on "who's best" these days.

HP and IBM.

KevB
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I ended up going with a Dell XPS 400 dual core (Intel chip). 2 GB of RAM, 320 GB HD, TV tuner/remote, 20 inch widescreen LCD, etc. Got quite a nice deal through work EPP program + 30% off (18 month no interest as well). I've read several places that Dell, and all the "brand name" companies, put tons of bloatware on their new systems. Thinking I'll probably immediately format and reinstall OS....good idea?

Simplex3
06-30-2006, 04:41 PM
I ended up going with a Dell XPS 400 dual core (Intel chip). 2 GB of RAM, 320 GB HD, TV tuner/remote, 20 inch widescreen LCD, etc. Got quite a nice deal through work EPP program + 30% off (18 month no interest as well). I've read several places that Dell, and all the "brand name" companies, put tons of bloatware on their new systems. Thinking I'll probably immediately format and reinstall OS....good idea?
Always. Just make sure you install Linux or BSD when you do the reinstall or the bloat is just going to be right back.

DaFace
06-30-2006, 05:17 PM

Eh, if you want to go to all the work. I usually just run through the Add/Remove Programs list to get rid of all the crap. A clean install is undoubtedly better if you're willing to reinstall all the drivers (and you have all the programs you need), though.

P.S. Just make sure you use a true OEM Windows XP CD to reinstall. I've had to help at least 5-10 people do repair installs because they reformatted and reinstalled with a pirated copy off of the net. Now that MS is pulling all this "Genuine Windows" crap, the pirated copies are a real pain.