PDA

View Full Version : If you were able to take a year off with pay, what special projects would you start?

Rain Man
06-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Here's what I'd do:

1. Organize my household records. I need to update my old system badly.

2. I'd do a study on stock returns to help me pick investments better. I think I leave a lot of money on the table by not doing the best research.

3. Get my checking account computerized. Better tracking.

4. Organize my photos. I've got vacation pics from ten years ago that are still just in a shoebox.

5. Build a model sailing ship from a kit. Sounds fun.

6. Learn to program in Visual Basic. I need to learn this.

7. Learn to build a web site. Yeah, I'm primitive man in that regard.

8. Organize my garage.

9. Manage my finances better. Put my savings in banks that pay higher interest, for example.

10. Learn to play some of the video games sitting on my shelf that I've played once and then not had time to pursue.

ck_IN
06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Try and start a no kill animal shelter would be my first thought.

Donger
06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
I've always wanted to build a two person, working submarine and terrorize the people at the local lakes.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I've always wanted to build a two person, working submarine and terrorize the people at the local lakes.

ROFL This is obviously true, no one could make this shit up.

Tatertot13
06-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Track sasquatch

Inspector
06-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I'd start riding that bike I found out in Denver.

morphius
06-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Take a job for a year and get my debt paid off?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-26-2006, 12:50 PM

Probably the best answer that will come out of this thread. Rep.

Spicy McHaggis
06-26-2006, 12:51 PM

That sounds way cooler than my "Pirates of the Ozarks" idea.

chagrin
06-26-2006, 12:52 PM

That's it dude, me too. After that though, I think it would be kick ass to join up with the Minutemen and nail some illegals, while pissing off the daisy pickers. Knowing that I was doing something good for the country, as well as scoffing at the ones on the other side would please me.

wutamess
06-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I'd have more time to dedicate to my business.

I'd possibly be able to quit my regular job if I had a years time off with pay.

Donger
06-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't know how people can function with debt. I'm quite sure that I'd be robbing banks.

Rain Man
06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
That sounds way cooler than my "Pirates of the Ozarks" idea.

Operating a pirate ship on the Lake of the Ozarks would be kind of fun.

BIG_DADDY
06-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Eat, sleep, train, ride motorcycle and maybe try to learn to play the guitar.

Jenny Gump
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I would volunteer with an organization that helps abused children. Seriously.

I would also count the number of times I could make JimN adjust his glasses.

Rain Man
06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Arrr, a rare Jenny Gump sighting. Where have you been hiding?

Jenny Gump
06-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Arrr, a rare Jenny Gump sighting. Where have you been hiding?

I just escaped from the pit below JimN's house. He kept mumbling something about leather....and skin...that guy cracks me up.

Rain Man
06-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I just escaped from the pit below JimN's house. He kept mumbling something about leather....and skin...that guy cracks me up.

He really needs to fix that lock.

PastorMikH
06-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd build a house. I'm having fits trying to find something that we can afford that will suit our needs. I know I can build a pretty decent sized house for the price-range I am willing to spend, but I know I don't have the time to put into it. A year off would allow me the time I would need to drive the nails.

BucEyedPea
06-26-2006, 04:40 PM
Spend a year traveling the world...maybe even on one of those tramp steamers for part of it.

But I'd have to spend a month in Italy renting a villa studying fine art and taking cooking, history and language classes.

I'm actually coming off of almost a whole year not working at least full-time and I didn't do any of these things.

big nasty kcnut
06-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Work on a website.
Do interviews with sports stars
Train with a female trainer and female doctor to work on getting a good wife.

cdcox
06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd rack up my post count into the range of 41,784. That would be awesome.

Seriously, I'd probably spend the whole year writing software to do playoff predictions and other football statistics. I'm stupid that way.

Maybe learn to play the guitar.

kcfanintitanhell
06-26-2006, 05:35 PM
I'd try to figure out where my golf game is hiding.

KCChiefsMan
06-26-2006, 05:44 PM
I'd start preparing for the end of the world

The Red Sea
06-26-2006, 07:08 PM
I'd spend every waking moment trying to get my wife to sleep with her best friend..& Me of course!

Nzoner
06-26-2006, 09:46 PM
I'd continue adding to my goal of going to every NFL stadium to see a game.

In the off-season I'd see about finding someone who was interested in starting a direct mail business like mine in a nearby city and see about branching into a 2nd publication.

Hammock Parties
06-26-2006, 09:49 PM

I'd love to be involved in your venture. How would you terrorize people?

Donger
06-26-2006, 10:01 PM
I'd love to be involved in your venture. How would you terrorize people?

Chopping up my passenger and releasing bits of their carcass out of the escape trunk.

Hammock Parties
06-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Chopping up my passenger and releasing bits of their carcass out of the escape trunk.

We have room for a passenger? I thought it was a two-man sub. :)

Donger
06-26-2006, 10:04 PM
We have room for a passenger? I thought it was a two-man sub. :)

I wasn't thinking of you. I was thinking of my new neighbor.

Moooo
06-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I'd learn how to bowl really well... Then, I'd probably take up the hobby of photography, and maybe figure out how to make some money doing that or something...

Moooo

greg63
06-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Move away from Coffeyville; the arm pit of the world.

Donger
06-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Move away from Coffeyville; the arm pit of the world.

Peh. The World's Largest Hailstone fell there. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Moooo
06-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Peh. The World's Largest Hailstone fell there. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Maybe that's what made the pit...

Moooo

greg63
06-26-2006, 11:18 PM

I actually know the guy in whom's back yard it fell; but then that aint sayin much.

quiettiger
06-27-2006, 01:24 AM
1. I would get the hell out of Iraq and wander the Caribbean like a pirate. I'd rent a 50 foot sailboat and get sun burned in places where people don't usually tan.

2. I want to see every sunset and see every sunrise. I don't want to be drunk all day but I want to wonder whose drinking my booze.

3. I want to have some sexy chic whose wants to just enjoy this time like this was all there was or ever will be. I want dance salsa in the moonlight with her and pretend love isn't a financial contract based on property and lawyers.

4. I want see 20 islands and scuba dive all of them. I want sail to Costa
Rica, Panama, and Domincan Republic.

5. I want to dive Stingray city and swim in a cloud of sharks down in Mexico. No. I am not feeding them. Sorry. That requires skills.

6. I want do 20 wreck dives and at least a dozen dives for treasure.

7. I want to forget about this entertainment that they call the NFL and focus on just about anything else.

8. I want to read books I've been meaning to read and forget about technology other than which way do I want to sail today.

9. I want to not watch a single news report for a whole year and forget names, places, dates, and anything that isn't colored Caribbean.

10. I want to come back from all of this and wonder why I came back. I want get that job in China I've been working towards since before 911 and wait for the NFL to bring their stupid little teams to me. I want to post up from China and have people wondering what the heck I do over there. I want to eat real Chinese food with real Chinese people and pretend that for one moment all is well with the world.

ZepSinger
06-27-2006, 05:11 AM
I'd FINALLY get the chance to write, record, and produce another albums' worth of original material!

Z

KC Jones
06-27-2006, 06:26 AM
1) I'd focus on improving my health - exercising, meditating, diet changes, etc.

2) Give my boys the most amazing year of their lives with lots of field trips and some great traveling.

3) I'd go visit some of my friends I haven't seen in years.

4) Take on some of the home improvement projects I've been putting off - finish the basement, landscaping, putting in a hot tub, etc.

5) Review my life and career goals, try to put together a plan for the future. Possibly strike out as an independent contractor in I.T.

6) Pick back up one of the hobbies I let go - writing, drawing, etc. or possibly pick up a new one.

CoMoChief
06-27-2006, 06:51 AM
My choice would consist of

1. If I had enough money to do this

2. If I had the knowledge and skill to do this

Anyways, I would like to build my own Ultra Light Airplane just to fly around the city etc. My grandfather built his own and it's a neat little plane and he did it simply because of the sport and whenever I go up to see him (he lives in Peoria, IL) we always go up there and fly and he's taught me how to fly it etc. Flying is really fun and whenever I have the money to do it, I'm want to get my own private liscense.

Rain Man
06-27-2006, 08:04 AM
1. I would get the hell out of Iraq and wander the Caribbean like a pirate. I'd rent a 50 foot sailboat and get sun burned in places where people don't usually tan.

2. I want to see every sunset and see every sunrise. I don't want to be drunk all day but I want to wonder whose drinking my booze.

3. I want to have some sexy chic whose wants to just enjoy this time like this was all there was or ever will be. I want dance salsa in the moonlight with her and pretend love isn't a financial contract based on property and lawyers.

4. I want see 20 islands and scuba dive all of them. I want sail to Costa
Rica, Panama, and Domincan Republic.

5. I want to dive Stingray city and swim in a cloud of sharks down in Mexico. No. I am not feeding them. Sorry. That requires skills.

6. I want do 20 wreck dives and at least a dozen dives for treasure.

7. I want to forget about this entertainment that they call the NFL and focus on just about anything else.

8. I want to read books I've been meaning to read and forget about technology other than which way do I want to sail today.

9. I want to not watch a single news report for a whole year and forget names, places, dates, and anything that isn't colored Caribbean.

10. I want to come back from all of this and wonder why I came back. I want get that job in China I've been working towards since before 911 and wait for the NFL to bring their stupid little teams to me. I want to post up from China and have people wondering what the heck I do over there. I want to eat real Chinese food with real Chinese people and pretend that for one moment all is well with the world.

Do you write those Corona beer commercials?