PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to create an interesting sport that doesn't require officiating?

Rain Man
06-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Can you create an entertaining sport that doesn't require a ref?

DaKCMan AP
06-26-2006, 02:41 PM
but then who would we blame for a loss :shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
06-26-2006, 02:41 PM
No. Under any and all circumstances someone participating would blame their lack of execution on someone cheating the system. Humans don't like to take responsibility for their failure, they like to blame someone or something else.

JBucc
06-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Just put two guys in a pit with spikes on the wall and tell them to fight to the death. No rules. Whoever dies loses.

Mr. Flopnuts
but then who would we blame for a loss :shrug:

See?

MOhillbilly
what is considered a 'sport'?

Hammock Parties
06-26-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't believe Gladiators had officials. Not surprisingly, some of the athletes got away with murder.

Reaper16
06-26-2006, 02:44 PM
rochambeau

MOhillbilly
06-26-2006, 03:04 PM
http://www.darkfish.com/checkers/Checkers.html

this doesnt need a ref though i didnt 'create it'

Predarat
06-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Just put two guys in a pit with spikes on the wall and tell them to fight to the death. No rules. Whoever dies loses.
Hey, that was my idea, but good idea!

FAX
06-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Extreme Spitting might work, Mr. Rain Man.

Here's the basic rule set; two guys face each other no further than 3 feet apart and spit at the opponent until one friggin' gives.

FAX

HemiEd
06-26-2006, 03:14 PM
What was that Paul Newman movie? Rollerball? I do not think there was any officiating required. Similar to the pit bull fight I saw on "the wire", the game is over when the oposition is dead.

pr_capone
06-26-2006, 03:15 PM
No Gaz.... No Vote

I'm sure one could be invented but I'm not sure it would be a very interesting sport. It would have to be very basic. lol

ct
06-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Celebrity Death Match

no rules

cdcox
06-26-2006, 03:25 PM
What was that Paul Newman movie? Rollerball? I do not think there was any officiating required. Similar to the pit bull fight I saw on "the wire", the game is over when the oposition is dead.

Rollerball was James Caan. Rollerball definitely had officals.

greg63
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Can you create an entertaining sport that doesn't require a ref?

I think it's called NFL football.

FAX
06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
X-Bonking.

A group of guys stand in a 30 foot circle facing inward. Then, they rush full speed towards the middle of the circle head first. The winner leaves the circle under his own power.

FAX

FAX
06-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Australian Rules Tiger Dancing.

Five guys and a Bengal tiger enter a cage. A boom box provides loud Grace Jones disco music. Any guy can dance with the tiger. Any guy can cut in. The guy with the least amount of blood left after side one is the winner.

FAX

HemiEd
06-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Rollerball was James Caan. Rollerball definitely had officals.

I wonder what movie I am thinking about, they played until they died?

Jilly
06-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Is Twister a sport?

BucEyedPea
06-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Do we have to create a sport?

What about croquet and archery?
I think most reasonable people can regulate themselves in those.

But make one up? :hmmm:

How 'bout bare racing?
I think people would play quickly enough to get inside and not argue about anything. :D

FAX
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I kinda like this one.

NCAA Coed Whoring.

A bunch of hot private school girls get naked and screw everybody they can find. Last girl to get pregnant gets the trophy.

FAX

Logical
06-26-2006, 04:47 PM

I think the number of people who would find this interesting is very limited.

cdcox
06-26-2006, 04:51 PM
I wonder what movie I am thinking about, they played until they died?

The normal matches were rough, but just your run-of-the-mill number of injuries. The games got rougher as the movie went on. In the last match, James Caan was the only man standing, but I think some of the fallen were only seriously maimed.

Rain Man
06-26-2006, 05:18 PM
Is Twister a sport?

It is for me, because I play defense.

ArrowheadHawk
06-26-2006, 05:20 PM
what about bowling a computer keeps score and does the foul line?

FAX
06-26-2006, 08:51 PM
Professional Bible Thumping.

Ten television evangelists are sealed into tombs hewn in solid rock and sealed with large stones. The first one to get out alive wins.

FAX

listopencil
06-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Joust, with pugil sticks, in full gear. On platforms like American Gladiator. If your foot (feet) makes contact with the floor you lose that round. A buzzer goes off when one of your electrified shoes makes contact. Two out of three wins.

FAX
06-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Jerk Off.

Round robin tournament in which homosexual men are asked to masturbate while viewing images of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. First to shoot wins round.

FAX

listopencil
06-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Jerk Off.

Round robin tournament in which homosexual men are asked to masturbate while viewing images of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. First to shoot wins round.

FAX

Change that to lesbians, change that to fingering each other, add dildos and you've got something.

FAX
06-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Perhaps this will suit, Mr. listopencil.

Pushy.

Obese women attempt to insert enormous objects into their vaginas. Last woman to pass out wins.

FAX

listopencil
06-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Perhaps this will suit, Mr. listopencil.

Pushy.

Obese women attempt to insert enormous objects into their vaginas. Last woman to pass out wins.

FAX

How about Lesbian Strap On Wrestling?

FAX
06-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Nail Gun Olympics.

Carpenters compete to see who can affix themselves to the side of a house.

FAX

FAX
06-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Nut Racing.

Five teams of two. The woman drags the man by the gonads 30 yards across a field of broken Boones Farm bottles. First team to cross the finish line with intact sack wins.

FAX

HemiEd
06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
The normal matches were rough, but just your run-of-the-mill number of injuries. The games got rougher as the movie went on. In the last match, James Caan was the only man standing, but I think some of the fallen were only seriously maimed.

I saw that movie when it just came out, and not since. Thanks for clearing some fog!

Spicy McHaggis
06-27-2006, 07:27 AM
http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Calvinball_small.jpg

KCTitus
06-27-2006, 07:39 AM
I dont think the problem is the official as much as the rules which the official is required to enforce. Subjective rules are mostly to blame. Objective rules, rules which are visually obvious, like 'cannot cross that line', 'two feet in bounds', etc...are pretty much easy to determine. I use 'easy' in a relative sense with regard to NFL officials since they can even screw these up.

Subjective rules however--what constitues a 'foul' in the NBA is ridiculous. It's basically a license to call the game any way the official wants. And outside forces like 'home team' fans will have an impact on how subjective rules are called.

When a sport has more subjective rules than objective--say like figure skating, diving or gymnastics which has NO objective rules--the more controversy you have. As for the major sports, I'd say the NBA has the most subjective rules, followed by football then hockey and last baseball.

ct
06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Mr. FAX,

I am very concerned, sir. May I offer you some milk and cookies, to calm your nerves?

Sincerely,

ct

Sully
06-27-2006, 08:26 AM
You mean like golf?

Moooo
06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
You mean like golf?

This is what I was thinking. Golf is fun sport to play.

Moooo

KC Jones
06-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Frisbee is a great sport with no officials. It's up to the players on the field to ref the game. The vast majority of the time this is done exceptionally well. It's a sport that has really held on to the concept of "the spirit of the game".

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_frisbee:

Ultimate is known for its "Spirit of the Game", often abbreviated SOTG. The following description is from the official Ultimate rules established by the Ultimate Players Association:

Ultimate has traditionally relied upon a spirit of sportsmanship which places the responsibility for fair play on the player. Highly competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of the bond of mutual respect between players, adherence to the agreed upon rules of the game, or the basic joy of play. Protection of these vital elements serves to eliminate adverse conduct from the Ultimate field. Such actions as taunting of opposing players, dangerous aggression, intentional fouling, or other 'win-at-all-costs' behavior are contrary to the spirit of the game and must be avoided by all players.

Many tournaments give awards for the most spirited team, as voted for by all the teams taking part in the tournament. This honor, sometimes called the Spirit Award, is highly coveted.

KC Jones
06-27-2006, 08:49 AM
You mean like golf?

real sports involve contact, offensive and defensive players on the field at the same time competing, and objective scoring. As such, Golf is a great game or hobby, but not a sport.

:evil:

Moooo
06-27-2006, 09:00 AM
real sports involve contact, offensive and defensive players on the field at the same time competing, and objective scoring. As such, Golf is a great game or hobby, but not a sport.

:evil:

I guess this means the Ironman Triathalon isn't a sport either, huh...

Moooo

Spicy McHaggis
06-27-2006, 12:13 PM
I guess this means the Ironman Triathalon isn't a sport either, huh...

Moooo

Now see I would be okay with those guys getting the purses that these top golfers get. Being able to win money playing a game like golf has always blown my mind.

Goddess Tara
06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Nut Racing.

Five teams of two. The woman drags the man by the gonads 30 yards across a field of broken Boones Farm bottles. First team to cross the finish line with intact sack wins.

FAX

This sounds like a fun game. :)