PDA

View Full Version : roofing (shingling) question

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I am getting my home reshingled in a couple of weeks due to recent hail damage. I am curious about one thing though. The flashings that run down the creases on the roof where the roof is divided by another section of roof. How important are they?

The roofers told me it was up to me if they should leave them or shingle over them. I asked which was better and they said there wasnt any difference. I told them to shingle over them but now I am having doubts.

Is it neccesary to have them or not? I think they look better without them, but looks are not the most important issue here. Is there a major disadvantage to covering them up?

I looked around town and the majority of the homes have them, while some do not. Apparently the price will be the same either way. Thanks for any insight.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/filelibrary/5794/22480.jpg

06-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I rarely see homes that have that channel on them. Most shingle over it. it looks much better and more professional.

Phobia
06-26-2006, 11:42 PM
That's a valley. Your roof will last longer with a metal valley. Think about it. Water runs over shingles and eventually wears out the granuals and asphalt that comprises your shingles. Water accumulates and runs faster in the valleys so it stands to reason that it would wear out shingles in the valley more quickly.

It's actually a little cheaper for a roofer to lace the shingles because he doesn't have to pay $12+ per 10' of aluminum valley. You should opt for the valley, IMO.

Phobia
06-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Oh - you're leaving the existing valleys. Yes, do that.

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2006, 07:20 AM
Why is this in the media center? Just curious... not mad or anything.

:hmmm:

jspchief
06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
That's a valley. Your roof will last longer with a metal valley. Think about it. Water runs over shingles and eventually wears out the granuals and asphalt that comprises your shingles. Water accumulates and runs faster in the valleys so it stands to reason that it would wear out shingles in the valley more quickly.
In theory, that's true.

But the reality is, the south exposure of your roof will likely wear out due to the sun faster than your valleys will wear out from water run-off.

I've been in the roofing business for almost 15 years now, and I rarely use valley metal. It's not about saving money, as much as it is about it not being necessary, and it's not a common look in this area.

It sounds like you're re-roofing over the existing shingles? It also looks like the existing valley metal has a buffer down the center? If so, that buffer will create a lump if they shingle over it.

Without fully being sure of what you're having done, I'll just run down a list to make sure it's done right.

1. If you're going to have exposed valley metal, you need to have new put in. Don't let them re-use what's already there.

2. If you're going to have a shingled valley, they need to remove that metal if it does indeed have a buffer. If there is no buffer, there's no reason they can't shingle over it.

3. Valley metal is not necessary for a functioning asphalt shingle roof, whether exposed or covered. However, it may be code to have metal in the valley where you live. Even so, you can have the metal shingled over if you prefer that look.

If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.

KC Jones
06-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Roofs are for pussies. Sleep under the stars like a real man... A real homeless man that is.

Phobia
06-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I certainly defer to JSP. I do 3 roofs a year. He does dozens. Maybe even hundreds. He's the expert. I'm the jack of all trades.

wutamess
06-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I certainly defer to JSP. I do 3 roofs a year. He does dozens. Maybe even hundreds. He's the expert. I'm the jackass of all trades.

Fixed it for you. :thumb:

Phobia
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
That is more accurate, isn't it?

wutamess
06-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I'd say so.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-27-2006, 09:30 PM
Why is this in the media center? Just curious... not mad or anything.

:hmmm:

Because the way it used to be setup, most things not chiefs related, I posted on Geeks Planet. But since someone decided that the old system was just to unorganized, I didnt know where to post this now.

Where would this post go? Please dont tell me that we are encouraging non-Chiefs related posts in the lounge now. I am not mad, I just dont like the new system. Maybe I will go read the faq's and try to make some sense as to why we "fixed" what wasn't broken. Propably should have in the first place. :hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Because the way it used to be setup, most things not chiefs related, I posted on Geeks Planet. But since someone decided that the old system was just to unorganized, I didnt know where to post this now.

Where would this post go? Please dont tell me that we are encouraging non-Chiefs related posts in the lounge now. I am not mad, I just dont like the new system. Maybe I will go read the faq's and try to make some sense as to why we "fixed" what wasn't broken. Propably should have in the first place. :hmmm:
No, I'm not mad. And I don't care where it is, I was just curious how it ended up in media.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
06-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Thansk for all the help. I am having the flashing removed and shingled over. I researched the topic and found that more and more roofers are leaving the valleys off now days. There wer numerous reasons, but most staed that they are simply unnecessary and that they can actually cause more harm than not having them at all. Water can seep in between the valleys and the shingles. Also the temperature of the flashing under the shingles in extremely hot or cold days can actually harm the shingles if not padded correctly.

Thansk for all the input guys.