PDA

View Full Version : Greatest vocalist in country music?

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 08:10 AM
we talk about punk, metal and hip-hop and everything else. But id like the planets opinions on the greatest country and western singer of all time.

for me im going w/ Conway Twitty(i can hear you bastards laughing) this guy had it all a suave voice, the abililty to sing creepy country love songs and make it sound not so creepy. Conway had imo the look,sound & charisma in country like elvis had in Rock n' Roll.

Waylon would be a real real close second, though not the vocal powerhouse of conway he had a thing in his singing that joe blow american could relate with.

jspchief
06-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Vince Gill has a very pure voice. Allison Krause too.

I actually think CM probably has a larger collection of good vocalists than any other popular genre.

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 08:26 AM
Toby Keith

:D

Seriously, I can't stand country music.

NewChief
06-27-2006, 08:38 AM
Vince Gill has a very pure voice. Allison Krause too.

I actually think CM probably has a larger collection of good vocalists than any other popular genre.

Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris both qualify along with Allison. For pure twangy country, I like Iris DeMent or Loretta Lynn.

As for male. I agree that Vince Gill has a great voice. If you're throwing in bluegrass types, I'm a pretty big fan of Ralph Stanley just because it's so unique.

jspchief
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Gillian Welch and Emmylou Harris both qualify along with Allison. For pure twangy country, I like Iris DeMent or Loretta Lynn.

As for male. I agree that Vince Gill has a great voice. If you're throwing in bluegrass types, I'm a pretty big fan of Ralph Stanley just because it's so unique.The thing about country music is you can get into the business with nothing more than a voice. You don't need the looks or songwriting talent that pop requires. I think it has resulted in some of the best voices in the business ending up in country. The songs they sing rarely exploit those voices, but they are there.

shakesthecat
06-27-2006, 08:43 AM
Greatest vocalist in country music?

You mean after Patsy Cline?

For men, I'd have to say George Jones

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 08:48 AM
The thing about country music is you can get into the business with nothing more than a voice. You don't need the looks or songwriting talent that pop requires. I think it has resulted in some of the best voices in the business ending up in country. The songs they sing rarely exploit those voices, but they are there.

While that may be true for alot of country music, it's certainly not true for "radio" country, which essentially operates on the same principles that all pop music operates on -- find a really hot chick with an OK voice and slap her all over the appropriate video music channel.

chagrin
06-27-2006, 08:52 AM
I almost hate to say it, but Reba used to really sing, now she just howls

jspchief
06-27-2006, 08:53 AM
While that may be true for alot of country music, it's certainly not true for "radio" country, which essentially operates on the same principles that all pop music operates on -- find a really hot chick with an OK voice and slap her all over the appropriate video music channel.Actually, that's very true these days. Country has fallen into the MTV approach to things in the last 5-10 years.

Although Faith Hill was one of those pioneering "really hot chicks" and IMO she has an incredible voice.

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Actually, that's very true these days. Country has fallen into the MTV approach to things in the last 5-10 years.

Although Faith Hill was one of those pioneering "really hot chicks" and IMO she has an incredible voice.

Faith Hill is unique. I'm trying to think of an equivalent - maybe in R&B and I'm struggling to think of one off-hand.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 09:00 AM

As for male. I agree that Vince Gill has a great voice. If you're throwing in bluegrass types, I'm a pretty big fan of Ralph Stanley just because it's so unique.

lot of high tenors in bluegrass it goes well with the high pitch of the instruments w/ the old timey sound.

vern goslin is another one i really like- they dont call him The Voice for nothing.

Moooo
06-27-2006, 09:03 AM
No question... Marty f'n Robbins...

Moooo

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 09:04 AM

Moooo

so you wathced the PBS special that was on last week?

jspchief
06-27-2006, 09:05 AM
Faith Hill is unique. I'm trying to think of an equivalent - maybe in R&B and I'm struggling to think of one off-hand.Christina Aguilera. She has an awesome voice. I don't like that type of music, but you can't deny the girl can sing. She's actually over shadowed her own talents with her appearance IMO.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Actually, that's very true these days. Country has fallen into the MTV approach to things in the last 5-10 years.

the thing is alot of new country singers are still ugly, theyre just putting out pooooooor music(big & rich).
somewhere the industry has gotten lost in alot of aspects and id say it had to do w/ the rebirth of the urban cowboy in the early 90s w/ the line dancing craze and such.

its why i like gretchen wilson-yeah she looks like she just steped out of a trailor but she has the old school sound that we grew up on.

Moooo
06-27-2006, 09:09 AM
so you wathced the PBS special that was on last week?

No... I just have a few of his albums...

Moooo

Brock
06-27-2006, 09:10 AM
It's Johnny Cash and nobody else is even close. Hank Williams is second because he was a songwriting genius.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 09:11 AM
No... I just have a few of his albums...

Moooo

man you should check it out if they re-run it. has some great live footage.
dont know if you caught the Patsy Cline one PBS did but its the same style.

El Paso City is one of my all time favorites.

Chiefnj
06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Martina McBride. No contest.

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 09:33 AM
the thing is alot of new country singers are still ugly, theyre just putting out pooooooor music(big & rich).
somewhere the industry has gotten lost in alot of aspects and id say it had to do w/ the rebirth of the urban cowboy in the early 90s w/ the line dancing craze and such.

its why i like gretchen wilson-yeah she looks like she just steped out of a trailor but she has the old school sound that we grew up on.

I'd agree with that. It all seemed to happen about the time Garth Brooks released "Friends in Low Places". Ironically, about the same time Metallica went to shit. I knew people that loved BOTH, wearing their AJFA T-shirt with a 10-gallon hat.

Baby Lee
06-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Easy. Patsy Cline.

She was the country version of Ella Fitzgerald/Billie Holiday.

Also, I grew up in a Conway Twitty house. My mom loved, loved, loved him. And when he went country, people forgot what a rock'n'roll heartthrob he was early on. Anyone notice the similarity of the character 'Conrad Birdy?'
Then ironically, we found out he died driving through Conway, AR, on the way back from Louisiana.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 09:57 AM
It's Johnny Cash and nobody else is even close. Hank Williams is second because he was a songwriting genius.

john cash and hiram williams were not great vocalists. Shoot Cash had to hum in the harmony to get back into pitch.

Great preformers and songwriters but more important they were both The Peoples Champs.
if you become the Normal Joes Champion you become a Legend.

jlscorpio
06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
CASH. That's it. That's the list.

kcfanintitanhell
06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
I got a great cap from a good friend of mine, Ritchie Albright, who was Waylon's drummer and producer back in his heyday. It was a cap that Waylon had made, and gave to his band and friends. Not too many around, but it sums up his thoughts on contemporary country music.
On the front of the cap, in big letters, is the CMA logo. Underneath, in smaller letters, and in parentheses, it reads "country my ass!!!"

Iowanian
06-27-2006, 02:04 PM
George Jones is hands down, The best male vocalist in Country music history.

There is competition but I think females come down to Dolly Pardon and Allison Krause imo. Arguements could be made for others, including Patsy and Martina McBride.

Hank Sr, Johnny Cash, Tom T Hall, Wayon and others may have been better song writers, performers or characters, but none of them had Jones' vocals.

Imo the most legitimate female singer right now, is Sara Evans. The first time I ever heard her sing was on TNN, singing A Hank Sr Ballad.

Baby Lee
06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Dolly Pardon and Allison Krause
ROFL ROFL

That's quite a mouthful, those two together.
You're telling me.

BTW - Rep to the first to ID the reference.

Braincase
06-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Martina McBride. No contest.

I remember when she ad a punk haircut and sang for the Wichita cover band "Lotus"... and she was hot then, too (when a girl that hot beats you six weeks in a row in a local talent contest, you find a way to be happy with second place. )

Men? I'd have to say the best are Larry Gatlin and Gary Morris.

Moooo
06-27-2006, 03:08 PM
No love for Charley Pride, either...

Moooo

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
No love for Charley Pride, either...

Moooo

best Kawliga cover ever.

Reaper16
06-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Are we talking just on terms of vocal ability? Or is it the total package? Twitty, Jones, Williams and Cash come to mind very quickly. If we're just talking about vocals, then the question becomes much harder.

DaFace
06-27-2006, 03:27 PM

Isn't this an oxymoron? ;)

Kidding, though. There are a number of pretty talented country singers. I just can't stand listening to the genre.

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 03:41 PM
tammy wynette is another. mmmmmm she was hot back in the day.

Nightwish
06-27-2006, 04:36 PM

MooooI concur, he was always one of my favorites. Him, and Johnny Horton. Johnny Cash doesn't have what I would call a "good" voice, but it is one of the more unique voices, which coupled with that sinister stage presence made for a commanding performance.

Females, definitely Patsy Cline. No comparison.

Mosbonian
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
While there are some very smooth voices mentioned thus far, no one has mentioned Don Williams...by far one of the smoothest baritone voices to ever grace Country Music...

As for the best crooners from today's most popular, I would have to say Alan Jackson comes the closest to a guy who could sing the phonebook and make it sound interesting....

I would say that Sara Evans is probably the best of today's popular female country singer, right before Alison Krauss and Faith Hill, (when she isn't trying to do cross-over songs).

I don't see anyone here talking about the best Country Vocal Group, which IMO is the Statler Brothers, hands down.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
lot of high tenors in bluegrass it goes well with the high pitch of the instruments w/ the old timey sound.

vern goslin is another one i really like- they dont call him The Voice for nothing.

You mean Vern Gosdin....and he had a very smooth voice, but I think he would be 2nd place to Don Williams.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-27-2006, 09:20 PM
George Jones is hands down, The best male vocalist in Country music history.

There is competition but I think females come down to Dolly Pardon and Allison Krause imo. Arguements could be made for others, including Patsy and Martina McBride.

Hank Sr, Johnny Cash, Tom T Hall, Wayon and others may have been better song writers, performers or characters, but none of them had Jones' vocals.

Imo the most legitimate female singer right now, is Sara Evans. The first time I ever heard her sing was on TNN, singing A Hank Sr Ballad.

You know...I forgot about Tom T Hall, but the problem with some of his songs was that he was doing the Country version of Rap, talking thru his songs, kinda like (Whisperin') Bill Anderson. Too bad there isn't more love for a guy like Roger Miller either.

I grew up with a Dad who idolized Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Hank Williams, but when it came to the best crooner in Country Music history he always pointed to Jimmie Rodgers.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I remember when she ad a punk haircut and sang for the Wichita cover band "Lotus"... and she was hot then, too (when a girl that hot beats you six weeks in a row in a local talent contest, you find a way to be happy with second place. )

Men? I'd have to say the best are Larry Gatlin and Gary Morris.

IMO Larry Gatlin was a good part of a trio, but not a singles vocalist. Gary Morris was good but decided that he wanted to expand into Opera and lost his following in Country Music.

mmaddog

Sam Hall
06-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I have to go with the man in my avatar. Whether it be his early stuff or the American Recordings, Cash's voice was one of a kind. I prefer the older Cash because I can feel the pain in his voice. That man went through a lot in his life and you can hear it in his voice.

Frosty
06-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Emmylou Harris

Not only is she awesome in her own right, she makes anyone she sings with sound better.

listopencil
06-27-2006, 11:44 PM
There's a guy with a really nice mellow flow to his voice, I think he was more popular in the 90's then anything else. I can't remember his name but he reminds me of some of the greats in Country music. I'll google him-I remember he did a guest voice on the "Hey, Arnold!" cartoon as the singing voice of a local Asian grocer. He has a really nice, natural voice.

listopencil
06-27-2006, 11:45 PM
...BTW-Marty Robbins kicks ass, vocally and lyrically.

listopencil
06-27-2006, 11:50 PM
There's a guy with a really nice mellow flow to his voice, I think he was more popular in the 90's then anything else. I can't remember his name but he reminds me of some of the greats in Country music. I'll google him-I remember he did a guest voice on the "Hey, Arnold!" cartoon as the singing voice of a local Asian grocer. He has a really nice, natural voice.

I'm thinking of Randy Travis. Right off the top of my head some other people that haven't been mentioned- k.d. lang, Kenny Chesney, Roy Orbison, Merle Haggard, Garth Brooks (If you don't think so, try to sing some of his stuff. You can't)....there really are a bunch. Then you have to start crossing over into Gospel because most of them do too.

listopencil
06-27-2006, 11:53 PM
I'll go ahead and jump in on the Johnny Cash discussion. Part of being a great Country singer-like most music-is having a voice that conveys emotion well. Cash nails this like few others. He was incredible, up there with Ray Charles.

Mosbonian
06-27-2006, 11:54 PM

You're thinking of Randy Travis...

mmaddog

listopencil
06-27-2006, 11:57 PM
You're thinking of Randy Travis...

mmaddog

Yeah, I found it after a bit. He's pretty good.

Mosbonian
06-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I found it after a bit. He's pretty good.

I got a kick out of what Randy Travis pulled off with his song "Three Woodend Crosses" a year or two ago....came out of nowhere to win CMA Song of the Year...

mmaddog

listopencil
06-28-2006, 12:35 AM
I got a kick out of what Randy Travis pulled off with his song "Three Woodend Crosses" a year or two ago....came out of nowhere to win CMA Song of the Year...

mmaddog

If he gets a good melody and some well written lyrics he can really deliver.

Hammock Parties
06-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Carrie Underwood.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 06:29 AM
Tom T Halls bluegrass LP is a real treat. Charlie Rich is another smooth SOB.
And yeah i meant Vern Gosdin.Set em up Joe is an alltime favorite of mine.

FAX
06-28-2006, 07:52 AM
I think that Ronnie Dunn gets my vote for male vocalist. The "country" technique he has developed is really impressive. Have to go with Martina McBride for female.

FAX

PastorMikH
06-28-2006, 07:57 AM

You mean after Patsy Cline?

For men, I'd have to say George Jones

I'd go with Patsy on ladies and Johnny Horton for the men. Johnny had a smooth voice with a lot of range.

PastorMikH
06-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Carrie Underwood.

I think he meant voice, not physical appearance.:)

PastorMikH
06-28-2006, 08:00 AM
...BTW-Marty Robbins kicks , vocally and lyrically.

Nobody could sing a story like Marty. The guy gets NO credit either. He had his own 30 Min TV spot for years and put out lots of hits, yet when they list the top singers of all time, Marty fails to even get mentioned.

He'd be in my top 3-5 for voice.

FAX
06-28-2006, 08:14 AM
I like Marty Robbins, too. Ever since that one song, I have avoided the streets of Laredo like the plague.

But, my consideration for old school vocalist would have to be Possum - George Jones.

FAX

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I like Marty Robbins, too. Ever since that one song, I have avoided the streets of Laredo like the plague.

But, my consideration for old school vocalist would have to be Possum - George Jones.

FAX

You know George would get blind ass drunk and talk to his hands? He and i have something in common.

Nightwish
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM

One thing I always believed about bluegrass - the stuff is really, really, really good. It'd be great if they cut out the vocals. The vocals in bluegrass (most of it, anyway) is some of the worst singing to be found in any musical genre. The music, though, is astounding.

Fish
06-28-2006, 09:44 AM
Hands down.... bestest voice ever!!!

http://www.brcspirit.com/images/brc.jpg

He's all like.... "sup bitches..... I had a TV show....."

NewChief
06-28-2006, 10:31 AM
One thing I always believed about bluegrass - the stuff is really, really, really good. It'd be great if they cut out the vocals. The vocals in bluegrass (most of it, anyway) is some of the worst singing to be found in any musical genre. The music, though, is astounding.

Ummm, yeah. Nothing quite as bad as four part harmony.
:rolleyes:

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 10:33 AM

i agree on some level though a good story is a good story and Bluegrass has tons of great lyrics. But sometimes the lyrics/singers dont mesh and it would be better just to hear the pickin' and sawin'.

StcChief
06-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Your cheatin' heart.... how ever did that. About sums it all up in Country

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Your cheatin' heart.... how ever did that. About sums it all up in Country

'Hank Williams you wrote my life'

Baby Lee
06-28-2006, 01:54 PM
And for me, the closer you get to bluegrass, the more I like country.
Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, Emmylou, Ricky, Ali/Dan and Union Station . . .

Orange Blossom Special, Kentucky Waltz, Old Cross Road, . . .

Mosbonian
06-28-2006, 06:52 PM
And yeah i meant Vern Gosdin.Set em up Joe is an alltime favorite of mine.

"Set 'Em Up Joe" was pretty good, but I thought the song that showed off his voice the best was "Chiseled in Stone".

mmaddog

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Easy. Patsy Cline.

She was the country version of Ella Fitzgerald/Billie Holiday.

Also, I grew up in a Conway Twitty house. My mom loved, loved, loved him. And when he went country, people forgot what a rock'n'roll heartthrob he was early on. Anyone notice the similarity of the character 'Conrad Birdy?'
Then ironically, we found out he died driving through Conway, AR, on the way back from Louisiana.

he passed here in Springtown.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 01:50 PM
he passed here in Springtown.

Missouri Brings death...

Patsy Cline was going from KC to Nashville whenever her plane did its bad thing...

Moooo

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Missouri Brings death...

Patsy Cline was going from KC to Nashville whenever her plane did its bad thing...

Moooo

Shut up. I love my state.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Shut up. I love my state.

I'm here too... But its true.

Moooo

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm here too... But its true.

Moooo

thats only two im sure cali,NYC,and france have killed the rest.

StcChief
06-29-2006, 07:49 PM
And for me, the closer you get to bluegrass, the more I like country.
Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, Emmylou, Ricky, Ali/Dan and Union Station . . .

Orange Blossom Special, Kentucky Waltz, Old Cross Road, . . .

Yep Blue grass has some serious talented musicans.

Don't get enough credit..can't lump them with commercial country

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Garth Brooks (If you don't think so, try to sing some of his stuff. You can't)

There is just no argument to this. I'm not a great singer by any means, but I can do voices to some extent. I have had some success doing a wide variety of country singers from Tracy Lawerence, to Clay Walker, to even a little Colin Raye. Garth Brooks is impossible. The dude is magical no matter what you think of his style or him personally. All that being said Vince Gill, Ronnie Dunn, and Allison Krause are all right there. This is a pretty tough call. On a side note, I haven't heard enough Patsy Cline and the older singers to make a judgment on them.