PDA

View Full Version : Any webcam/videochat gurus out there?

Fat Elvis
06-27-2006, 08:46 AM
I am looking into some webchat applications for both work and home. I think I have found a pretty good deal on getting a private room hosted for work (I work with people with disabilities and am looking at video webchat as a means to increase accessability), but I'm not exactly sure what is needed to offer video chat services.

Also, since the grandparents live in WA, I was kind of looking into video chatting over the interweb as a way for the grandparent and kids to keep in touch more often. Does anyone do this? What is needed and are there any good places to do this for free?

Thanks

Fat E

Bob Dole
06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I am looking into some webchat applications for both work and home. I think I have found a pretty good deal on getting a private room hosted for work (I work with people with disabilities and am looking at video webchat as a means to increase accessability), but I'm not exactly sure what is needed to offer video chat services.

Also, since the grandparents live in WA, I was kind of looking into video chatting over the interweb as a way for the grandparent and kids to keep in touch more often. Does anyone do this? What is needed and are there any good places to do this for free?

Thanks

Fat E

Almost all of the instant messaging applications now provide point-to-point video capabilities and cost nothing.

Fat Elvis
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Almost all of the instant messaging applications now provide point-to-point video capabilities and cost nothing.

But don't they have a bunch of ads and everything?

Also, we were wanting a private room that could accommodate several (~25) seats for our quarterly meeting.

Keep in mind the target audience is people with developmental disabilities. We'd like to make access points at different service providers across the state.

I think a dynamic room address via IM would be too confusing.

SLAG
06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
The only thing i Can think of is Micro$oft's Live Meeting

http://www.microsoft.com/uc/livemeeting/default.mspx

or this

http://www.camfrog.com/