PDA

View Full Version : Dual Processors?

Moooo
06-27-2006, 09:19 AM
So what do you guys think about computers running dual processors, specifically Macs?

I was looking at ebay for some used G4 powermacs and saw some dual G4s... They kindof intriqued me, cause I don't know how it works...

How many mac programs allow for dual processing? Also, is it worth the dough? I mean, I probably won't be doing anything that intensive, but it does allow for greater upgrade while staying on the G4 platform...

Moooo

cdcox
06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
So what do you guys think about computers running dual processors, specifically Macs?

I was looking at ebay for some used G4 powermacs and saw some dual G4s... They kindof intriqued me, cause I don't know how it works...

How many mac programs allow for dual processing? Also, is it worth the dough? I mean, I probably won't be doing anything that intensive, but it does allow for greater upgrade while staying on the G4 platform...

Moooo

The biggest advantage for the next couple of years would be if you run some high CPU applications in the background when you are doing other stuff. A CPU can only run one applicaiton at a time. The OS has some way of prioritizing all the things it has to do and partitions out the CPU time accordingly. But there is always some efficiency lost when it switches from one item to another. Most of the time you are way below 100% of CPU use and you don't notice the difference.

But suppose your are running something computationally intensive, like a numerical model or a giant spreasheet that takes 2 or 3 minutes to update. While your waiting you want to check your email, browe the web or play a game. This is when the dual processor would pay off.

Down the road, there will be software designed to run in parallel on both processors. Eventually you will see multiprocessor cores with 8 or more processors. These would be like mini-supercomputers. They will require a whole new generation of software to exploit them. For the average person running office, I don't see a real advantage. But for huge numerical models, it would be very cool to have.

In summary, unless you are routinely running your CPU at 100% and trying to do other things on the side, I wouldn't consider this an immediate requirement on an upgrade. Maybe applications will have advanced enough to justify it for the following upgrade.

Braincase
06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Symetric Multiprocessing is never truly symetric.

OS's have improved, but if you have the load balancing integrated into the firmware, it's going to balance better and faster. I think the Dual-core processors available today are a trendous value... but the quad core processors are coming soon. Interestingly enough, Windows XP sees a dual core processor as two processors, but will we need to get an extra license for a quad core chip? XP supports up to 2 processors natively, but when the quads come out, there may be some interesting licensing issues.

HC_Chief
06-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Symetric Multiprocessing is never truly symetric.

OS's have improved, but if you have the load balancing integrated into the firmware, it's going to balance better and faster. I think the Dual-core processors available today are a trendous value... but the quad core processors are coming soon. Interestingly enough, Windows XP sees a dual core processor as two processors, but will we need to get an extra license for a quad core chip? XP supports up to 2 processors natively, but when the quads come out, there may be some interesting licensing issues.

Vista will have replaced XP by then as M$' flagship desktop OS

SLAG
06-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Vista will have replaced XP by then as M$' flagship desktop OS

id rather just go with linux

kcxiv
06-27-2006, 07:22 PM
id rather just go with linux
only 1 tiny problem with linux, i cannot game lol

Moooo
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
only 1 tiny problem with linux, i cannot game lol

I don't game at all, so that's not a problem for me.

I really don't do much more than what you'd expect your mom to do on a computer. But, what really intrigues me is I do like to multitask with music, internet, wordprocessing all at once, and on my computer which is something like a 1000 Athlon XP, it totally bogs down.

I know that sounds like more of a memory problem, to which it probably is, but I was also thinking it would give me better ability to upgrade while still keeping the same motherboard... Though I could be understanding this wrong.

It was only like 50 bucks more for dual 500 G4s than it was for a 700 G4. So I was wondering if in that case it would be worth it also.

Moooo