PDA

View Full Version : My Superman Returns Review

irishjayhawk
06-27-2006, 11:08 AM
So I took a shift last night and was working projection when the Superman prints arrived. Each print consisted of 3 cannisters to hold the massive 9 reels. I quickly alerted the build-up people - it seemed like the equivalent to alerting the Super Friends. Anyway, at about 10:40PM, the movie finally went up.

Now, I must preface this with my view on Superman. I find him plain. I don’t find him nearly as exciting as say Spiderman, any of the X-Men and Batman. Perhaps it’s because he only has one weakness and therefore doesn’t carry enough of the human characteristics I like in the other ’superheros’. Moreover, I just can’t help but laugh when people can’t see Clark is Superman. I mean the glasses don’t add that much! Thus, I wasn’t really watching this movie for Superman, as much as I was for Bryan Singer’s direction and John Ottman’s score. I also haven’t read any of the comic books, so I wasn’t expecting to pick out errors or constantly having to correct things that did or didn’t happen.

The movie opens with a neat CGI outer space recreation accompanied by a seemingly reversed Star Wars text intro, with its own spin. Combined with the music, it was actually really entertaining and easy to watch, despite it’s considerable length for the opening credits.

After the intro, the story switches between Lex Luther’s start to his master plan and Superman actually returning on an asteroid. It focuses on the farm and then on Clark’s memories about discovering his powers. It was a bit slow for my liking - though bearable - but in retrospect, it was a nice touch. The movie quickly picks up as Clark returns to the Daily Planet and meets Jimmy Olsen and the editor. Enough plot as I hate when the plot is given out.

First, let me say that Brandon Routh looks and acts the part. Kevin Spacey is the best Lex Luther either the movies or television series ever had. He’s energetic just looks the part all around. Both offer a great side to the movie and counter each other perfectly. Kate Bosworth isn’t exactly what I pictured Lois Lane to look like, though my mind could be fixated on the Teri Hatcher Lois Lane of the television series. Regardless, she did do a pretty good job with her part. Struggling between her married man and her love of Superman, she showed the torn nature of her character. James Marsden, who had worked with Singer on X-Men and X2, plays the part of Lois’ husband. Though his red sunglasses seen in X-Men definitely highlight him, he does a really nice job with such a small part (and no super powers). All in all, the acting is very good and everyone looks nice on screen.

The movie does have a somewhat slow beginning and end, but it is more than made up for for the good two hours of seemingly non-stop action. Accented by Ottman’s score (plus John Williams’ Main Title), the movie really takes on a life of it’s own. I have purchased the Superman score and can say, without a doubt, it’s a fantastic score and one I will listen to for a long time. It also goes hand in hand with the movie.

Singer has accomplished what I wanted accomplished from X3. See, Singer balanced character development with action. It was the exact same kind of balance found in both X1 and X2, though more in X2. It was what upset me about X3. Singer’s employ of odd camera angles, well done CGI and effects, as well as the direction of Kevin Spacey, in particular, was marvelous. Also, in what was another difference between X3 and ‘Superman’ was the fact that Singer was involved in the story. It seems he likes to alter the script or story to help suit his vision, thus earning himself a writing credit. In any case, like X2, this was probably what catapulted ‘Superman’ from just above mediocre to extraordinary. In the same way, it is what doomed X3. In my opinion, Singer the new age Stephen Spielberg.

There’s one major complaint I have about ‘Superman’, it’s the fact that Singer couldn’t do ‘Superman’ and X3.

Bottom-line: Must see! By the way, the IMAX version has some 3D parts. (20 minutes of 3D or 4-5 scenes lasting 4-5 minutes.)
DVD Bottom-line: Must own. Period. Same goes for the soundtrack.
Rating: 3.5 out of 4.

Just for what it's worth.

P.S. I didn't know if this should be posted in the lounge or MCE subforum. Please move, if necessary.

HC_Chief
06-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the review :)

chagrin
06-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Could you repeat that please?

irishjayhawk
06-27-2006, 11:32 AM
that.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
It opens down here tonight at 10...gonna go and soak in the nerd culture.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Ill be goig to see it tommorow sometime. I cant wait. Im a huge fan of Superman 1 & 2. I realize they are waay dated now days though. Great decision by Singer to use Williams original score and the original titles as well. Reeves performance will be hard to top. IMO the best performance ever of a superhero character.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2006, 03:20 PM
They're only using Williams theme. The rest is composed by John Ottoman.

Deberg_1990
06-27-2006, 03:23 PM
They're only using Williams theme. The rest is composed by John Ottoman.

Yes, but Ottoman has confessed he borrowed heavily from Williams entire score. I guess i will know for sure tommorow.

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Just got home from watching it.

Awesome.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 01:58 AM
They're only using Williams theme. The rest is composed by John Ottoman.Now that's BS watch the movie.

In the theater it was so oldschool with the beginning credits that it was badass it was just like you were watching the original in theaters

Routh disspells rumors of a shitty performance, and did a damn good job. Spacey kicked major ass as Lex Luthor as a dark vengeful nemesis.

The introduction of Superman to the world again ruled.

Kate bosworth as Louis Lane was very mediocre though. Margot Kidder trumped in this area

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 02:13 AM
I actually preferred Kate Bosworth to Margot Kidder, but I have never been a fan of Kidder.

And they used Williams themes and cues freely, but 99% of the scoring in the film was original. At least to my ear. Not like I was trained in this kind of stuff though (cough).

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow or thursday on IMAX. Just like I did with Batman Begins last year.

The two best superhero movies of all time, in my opinion. DC has taken what Marvel established with the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises and just taken it to a whole new level. While Superman Returns was vastly different from Batman Begins, I thought it was just as strong a film, and may be even stronger on repeat viewing. Some of the visuals in the movie (and I don't mean action sets, I mean simple scenes, like supes in space, or when he breaks above the clouds towards the end) were just, literally, staggering. Awe-inspiring.

And, God, they finally got it right...they made him powerful.

greg63
06-28-2006, 02:17 AM

ROFLROFLROFL

I wonder if it could be re-typed a bit slower as I don't read very fast. :D

mcan
06-28-2006, 02:21 AM
I went and saw it tonight and LOVED IT. It's been forever since I've seen the originals, but I have fond memories of them.

I was astonished at how well Roush was able to capture Reeves' Clark Kent... The sideturned grin, the "sorry"s, the goofiness. It's spot on, and it was almost like watching Reeves all over again. Very cool.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 02:22 AM
And they used Williams themes and cues freely, but 99% of the scoring in the film was original. At least to my ear. Not like I was trained in this kind of stuff though (cough).

The Puff Daddy type of origina,l yes their were nuances but not totally noticably. I loved how Ottman strategically placed The Superman March hook at the heavy action scenes.

tk13
06-28-2006, 02:24 AM
Two thumbs up here. There are so many ways they could've butchered this thing after all these years, and I was worried they would. But they didn't. We are so lucky Bryan Singer did this thing and not Tim Burton.

They definitely stayed true to the original movies. Like that opening credits sequence, and other areas. I personally liked that. Especially with something as big as this. If you know your Superman, the woman who played Lois and the guy who played Jimmy Olsen in the 50's TV series both have bit parts in the movie.

I haven't read many "professional" reviews of the movie, but I'm going to guess Routh/Bosworth are probably going to get slagged for not being Reeve/Kidder. They aren't. Bosworth especially. They didn't quite have the charm, but they played up the dramatic aspect of the movie pretty well, maybe better even. Frank Langella was a perfect choice for Perry White too, he wasn't a main character obviously, but I just thought he was perfect for that role.

I was a big fan of Gene Hackman as Luthor, but Spacey carried it out pretty well. Less wit, but more anger and "evil" for sure, diabolical is probably the best term for it. I thought his character really picked up steam 2nd half of the movie. Maybe the last 2/3rds, I lost track of time.

The CGI was amazing, I bet the IMAX version is awesome. Maybe it's just that I'm usually just a DVD guy and haven't been to a theater in a while, but I thought the CGI was just incredible on the big screen. Plus, it allows for action sequences you'd never been able to do with the first two movies in the 70's. It is 2 and a half hours long, but it didn't feel like that, at least to me. I'm not sure if it's the the best of the bunch, but it's a worthy addition to the Superman legacy, way better than III or IV. That's all I wanted. It definitely does a good job of balancing drama, humor, and action.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 02:24 AM

I concur, Superman shouldn't have trouble carrying 10 ton objects and ect..

Singer did the right thing. He made Superman the baddest mother****er on the planet

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 02:26 AM
I was astonished at how well Roush was able to capture Reeves' Clark Kent... The sideturned grin, the "sorry"s, the goofiness. It's spot on, and it was almost like watching Reeves all over again. Very cool.
Yeah, I thought Routh was great. I'd read comments about him in several reviews, and I guess I just don't know what the reviewers were looking for. To me, he was Superman and Clark Kent both, but I've followed the comic and cartoons for years, and he gave me what I expected. And any people who were concerned that he was too small or not buff enough for the role can relax now. I'm sure it was in part due to construction of the suit, but he appreared to be way, way more muscular than Reeve ever was.

And I loved Spacey's Lex. He seemed...diabolical. Not campy, not comical, just out for himself, everyone else be damned, with a little dash of insanity on the side.

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 02:31 AM
The Puff Daddy type of origina,l yes their were nuances but not totally noticably. I loved how Ottman strategically placed The Superman March hook at the heavy action scenes.That's an insult to Ottoman; it wasn't a Williams remix or sample at all. I actually loved that they used the themes they did the way that they did, because, to me, it helped tie to film to the Donner version, which was exactly what Singer was going for. It enhanced the film I thought.

Tribal Warfare
Which villians next Brainiac or Dakseid?????

keg in kc
Singer did the right thing. He made Superman the baddest mother****er on the planetGod, was he ever. Some of the stuff he did in the movie...

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 02:33 AM
Which villians next Brainiac or Dakseid?????Braniac.

Save Darkseid or Doomsday for the end of the trilogy.

And can we please have Batman vs. Superman?

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 02:33 AM
That's an insult to Ottoman; it wasn't a Williams remix or sample at all. I actually loved that they used the themes they did the way that they did, because, to me, it helped tie to film to the Donner version, which was exactly what Singer was going for. It enhanced the film I thought.

it wasn't totally original that's all I'm saying, because one can't get away from the original John Williams score. Singer even admitted to that

tk13
06-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Braniac.

Save Darkseid or Doomsday for the end of the trilogy.

SPOILER

----------

I thought that was a really nice touch in the sequence where Superman is "back", flying all over the world saving people. In one of the news reports, you hear them say he was in Gotham. Real nice touch. Hint toward something in the future maybe? At least a nod to the DC universe.

-----------

I thought Singer put all kinds of little subtle touches in the movie like that. Very well thought out. But you have to be paying attention.

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 02:42 AM
I noticed that, too, tk.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 02:42 AM

This could be an introduction to the Justice League too.

Hammock Parties
06-28-2006, 02:44 AM
SPOILER

----------

I thought that was a really nice touch in the sequence where Superman is "back", flying all over the world saving people. In one of the news reports, you hear them say he was in Gotham. Real nice touch. Hint toward something in the future maybe? At least a nod to the DC universe.

-----------

I thought Singer put all kinds of little subtle touches in the movie like that. Very well thought out. But you have to be paying attention.

Yeah I heard that. The crowd did, too. I was all like, sup, Batman?

Miles
06-28-2006, 02:54 AM
Im not much of a Superman fan at all but this is definitly sounding like one that may be worth the stiff price of seeing it in IMAX.

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
06-28-2006, 03:05 AM
I guess I am a little more critical than most, but I will also point out some strengths as well.
Personally I thought the main plot device was sluggish in it's pacing, and lazy to connect the dots as to how things are workable with the plot in question.
I also felt that there was not nearly enough details about his attempt to journey home, and it might have helped to have a few seconds of flashback footage of what he experienced.
I am thrilled with the care that went into the CGI shots. If there's one thing that grates my nerves, it's CGI that is obvious. This film had virtually none of those glitches.
Brian Singer did a fantastic job making this film look beautiful.

I highly reccomend this film for viewing at the theater, as it was made to be experienced on the big screen.

tk13
06-28-2006, 03:11 AM
I'd definitely agree with that last point above all else. I'm usually content to just wait for movies to come to DVD. But this movie is definitely a reminder about why you go to the movie theater.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 03:41 AM
Braniac.

I concur, since he did make the comment I'm the only one which would flow into the Brainiac realm

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 04:51 AM
I also felt that there was not nearly enough details about his attempt to journey home, and it might have helped to have a few seconds of flashback footage of what he experienced.Scenes of Supes back at Krypton were filmed but cut out during the final edit, I believe. Maybe in on DVD, who knows.

DJay23
06-28-2006, 07:58 AM
Alright, I saw it last night as well and just thought it was ok. There were some cool scenes and such, but it didn't knock my socks off. I just felt kinda :shrug: when i left the theater. I really liked Spacey's part. I liked that there was a lot of little funny bits here and there. My favorite line, "Weren't there two of those?"

Halfcan
06-28-2006, 08:05 AM
Sounds like a good one. For the cost to make it, it better be a hit.

Fish
06-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Going tonight.....

Anybody see any Superman supernerds in capes or anything at the opening?

Frazod
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
I'll catch a matinee this weekend. Looks interesting.

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
My reaal gripe about Routh playing Superman is the guy needs to hit the weights more because he looked skinny in the Supes uniform

Deberg_1990
06-28-2006, 01:54 PM
They definitely stayed true to the original movies. Like that opening credits sequence, and other areas. I personally liked that. Especially with something as big as this. If you know your Superman, the woman who played Lois and the guy who played Jimmy Olsen in the 50's TV series both have bit parts in the movie.

I haven't read many "professional" reviews of the movie, but I'm going to guess Routh/Bosworth are probably going to get slagged for not being Reeve/Kidder. They aren't. Bosworth especially. They didn't quite have the charm, but they played up the dramatic aspect of the movie pretty well, maybe better even. Frank Langella was a perfect choice for Perry White too, he wasn't a main character obviously, but I just thought he was perfect for that role.

I was a big fan of Gene Hackman as Luthor, but Spacey carried it out pretty well. Less wit, but more anger and "evil" for sure, diabolical is probably the best term for it. I thought his character really picked up steam 2nd half of the movie. Maybe the last 2/3rds, I lost track of time.

Just got back from seeing it. It was good but overall i was a slightly dissappointed. I still cant quite figure out why though?? Maybe its my childhood love for Sups 1 & 2.....im still not quite sure?? It was however a great looking flick and competently made. Routh impressed me. He did a great job of mimicking Reeves but yet he made Kent and Superman his own. I think it might have needed one more big action beat there at the end. I didnt care for the resolution of the big island thing and how Luthor just flew away..........Overall an entertaining movie, but im still trying to put my finger on why it just never hit me like i expected it to???

Tribal Warfare
06-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Supes kid has his powers , but when he knocked up Lois he was a mortal human

The above part is the another thing that's bugging me about the movie

munkey
06-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Overall an entertaining movie, but im still trying to put my finger on why it just never hit me like i expected it to???

Ditto..

I just couldn't get Reeves out of my brain...I mean the ending only missed the smile.

To much like the first for me.

Valiant
06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I actually preferred Kate Bosworth to Margot Kidder, but I have never been a fan of Kidder.

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow or thursday on IMAX. Just like I did with Batman Begins last year.

The two best superhero movies of all time, in my opinion. DC has taken what Marvel established with the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises and just taken it to a whole new level. While Superman Returns was vastly different from Batman Begins, I thought it was just as strong a film, and may be even stronger on repeat viewing. Some of the visuals in the movie (and I don't mean action sets, I mean simple scenes, like supes in space, or when he breaks above the clouds towards the end) were just, literally, staggering. Awe-inspiring.

I loved when he would fly off and sonic boom the area.. Everything about the movie was done superbly.. Well except one thing.. Metroplis is not on the ****ing EAst Coast...

Valiant
06-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I thought Routh was great. I'd read comments about him in several reviews, and I guess I just don't know what the reviewers were looking for. To me, he was Superman and Clark Kent both, but I've followed the comic and cartoons for years, and he gave me what I expected. And any people who were concerned that he was too small or not buff enough for the role can relax now. I'm sure it was in part due to construction of the suit, but he appreared to be way, way more muscular than Reeve ever was.

And I loved Spacey's Lex. He seemed...diabolical. Not campy, not comical, just out for himself, everyone else be damned, with a little dash of insanity on the side.

On Luther, that is how he was originally written to be in the comics.. He is out for power and just for himself... Or if helping Superman is in his best interest he will do that also and has...

Valiant
06-28-2006, 05:37 PM
SPOILER

----------

-----------

Realisticly there is no chance in hell for that to be done into a live movie... Now DC would bust that out as a straight to DC cartoon movie, but no way would they ruin both series of movies...

But if I am wrong, they better spend 500+million dollars and do it right..

Frazod
06-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Changed my mind - I'm going to go see it tonight. Will offer my thoughts later.

DJay23
06-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Just got back from seeing it. It was good but overall i was a slightly dissappointed. I still cant quite figure out why though?? Maybe its my childhood love for Sups 1 & 2.....im still not quite sure?? It was however a great looking flick and competently made. Routh impressed me. He did a great job of mimicking Reeves but yet he made Kent and Superman his own. I think it might have needed one more big action beat there at the end. I didnt care for the resolution of the big island thing and how Luthor just flew away..........Overall an entertaining movie, but im still trying to put my finger on why it just never hit me like i expected it to???
My friends and I agreed that it was kind of a stupid ending. We would have liked to see Superman fight an equal. Someone of super power that is.

And in his confrontation with Luthor, did anyone else wonder how he could do that to him. Even if there is kryptonite around, he's still a big dude. Give me a break!

Gravedigger
06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah it was such a good movie. It delivered on every single point you could in a comic book movie. All the CGI wasn't distracting it was ****ing cool as hell to see him lift and island from the sea and to stop an airplane out of midair.

Brandon Routh played him very well I thought. None of these actors ARE the original Margo Kitter, Christopher Reeves, or Gene Hackman but they did damn good jobs as playing the roles.

The best parts of the movie were undoubtedly the Spiderman 3 teaser before the movie (BLACK SUIT OMG!) http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/spiderman3/site/ for all of you who wanna see the teaser before you see Superman. The other cool part of the movie was the beginning credits when the old music was playing and the letters in the names came at you just like the credits of the old ones. Singer stuck to the origins and that's why he is a better director hands down than Brett Ratner. This movie totally makes up for the dissapointment that was X3. Now next weekend is Pirates of the Carribean 2 and next summer Spiderman 3!

Gravedigger
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh and the only dissapointing thing I really thought about the movie is I wouldve liked to see Superman grab Lex Luthor and take him to the prison yard at the end of the movie as he did in the earlier ones. That would've made me completely happy =P

mcan
06-28-2006, 07:57 PM
everybody has their own opinions, but:

1. I think Routh did an AMAZING job of balancing making Superman/Kent his own, and doing a suedo impression of Reeves... That's not easy to do. Typically, performances that are "impressions" are terrible performances (even if the impression is good), but especially as Kent, Routh really nailed some of the nuances that Reeves gave him, as well as performing the scene the way it should be. The downturned grin, the the uptight shoulders, the way he'd fix his glasses while he was saying something, and then look to see that he'd blundered or that no one was paying attention and mutter, "oh..." Reeves 101...

2. I love how the movie blends into the Donner world, without being as CHEEZY as the Donner world. You get a sense of it with lines like: "I hope this experience hasn't turned you off of flying. Statistically, it's still the safest way to travel." There was so much of this in Donner's Superman that it was kinda embarrassing. Especially the little "precious" moments, like when they are flying together and Lois has that poetry monologue... "Can you read my mind?" Just stupid. I thought this movie was WAY better told than the originals.

3. I think Spacey did an excellent job of making Lex his own, although I would have liked to see a little more of a send up to Hackman, the way Routh did with Reeves. On it's own, the performance is good, but it lacks continuity... Although, it's justifiable since he's been in prison for so long and he's BITTER now. But I'd like to have seen some PHYSICAL manifestation of Hackman's performance. You don't have to be a used car salesman, but you should at least make an effort for body language to be similar.

4. I think the least continuity is with Lois. Obviously, today's audiences want a younger and more attractive Lois Lane. Let's face it, Margot Kidder just isn't the kinda girl that looks good on the side of a TACO BELL cup. So, I'm all for casting a hottie like Kate Bosworth (who can also act BTW). But again, there wasn't much of an effort to physicalize the continuity between the two performances. There was a SCRIPTUAL effort to tie them together (smoking, her fascination with health, her doing whatever it takes to win a prize for journalism, her CONSTANT interrupting of Clark and sidestepping). But I didn't SEE it.

5. The score is BRILLIANT. I heard a LOT of Williams' melodies in it. The love theme and the march were all over this movie, but they were mixed into a new background. It was really beautiful. Speaking of beautiful, this movie has some of the best cinimatography I've seen. Ever. I know a lot of it is CGI, but the outer space stuff is just incredible.

chief2000
06-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I am glad the director chose a new face/no name actor to play sup.er.man.

Kate Bosworth was miscast. Whats odd is that the original superman movie had a no name Margot Kidder as Louis Lane.

keg in kc
06-28-2006, 08:22 PM
2. I love how the movie blends into the Donner world, without being as CHEEZY as the Donner world. .... I thought this movie was WAY better told than the originals.Ditto.

I remember loving Superman and Superman 2 as a kid. I watched them a couple months ago and just couldn't get over how horribly campy they were. It was like drowning in velveeta. I hated it.

Frazod
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
It wasn't bad. Certainly wasn't great, though. Not on par with the Spiderman movies or last year's Batman. If that's what you're expecting, you'll be disappointed. I did find it to be a bit overly dreary. On the other hand, it was a nice send up to the '78 Donner/Reeve film, with lots little things (the use of Brando as Jor-El, a photo of Glenn Ford as the deceased Jonathan Kent, for example)

I enjoyed it. Wish I'd enjoyed it a bit more.

tk13
06-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Spiderman does have a huge advantage over these movies in that there's not a gold standard sitting out there with a whole generation that sees the Christopher Reeve movies as Superman. It's been able to create its own standard that some director 30 years down the road might have to live up to. And the Batman movies had gone so downhill that people were looking for a fresh start. And some people didn't even like the Tim Burton movies. I think this movie had a much bigger shadow to live up to, and reading some of the reviews today around the internet reflect that. It wasn't easy, but I think I was able to separate myself from the old movies enough to where I loved the nostalgic touches, I'm really glad they put them in there, but was able to get into the story and believe it. I think there are some people going into it with a mindset that makes it hard to enjoy the film. I didn't want to put that in my review last night because that was kinda harsh, but probably true.

It remains to be seen, but I also think I'm going to enjoy it more the 2nd time around. I thought that after last night... and a lot of the uber-geeks I've read online who actually have already done it seem to agree, even the ones who were kinda iffy on it the first time around. Plus I want to see if I catch any more subtle things. Reading around the web, I know there's already one huge subtle homage that went right over my head, I should've picked up on it.

Lurch
06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I thought it sucked. Bad.

Valiant
06-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Spiderman does have a huge advantage over these movies in that there's not a gold standard sitting out there with a whole generation that sees the Christopher Reeve movies as Superman. It's been able to create its own standard that some director 30 years down the road might have to live up to. And the Batman movies had gone so downhill that people were looking for a fresh start. And some people didn't even like the Tim Burton movies. I think this movie had a much bigger shadow to live up to, and reading some of the reviews today around the internet reflect that. It wasn't easy, but I think I was able to separate myself from the old movies enough to where I loved the nostalgic touches, I'm really glad they put them in there, but was able to get into the story and believe it. I think there are some people going into it with a mindset that makes it hard to enjoy the film. I didn't want to put that in my review last night because that was kinda harsh, but probably true.

It remains to be seen, but I also think I'm going to enjoy it more the 2nd time around. I thought that after last night... and a lot of the uber-geeks I've read online who actually have already done it seem to agree, even the ones who were kinda iffy on it the first time around. Plus I want to see if I catch any more subtle things. Reading around the web, I know there's already one huge subtle homage that went right over my head, I should've picked up on it.

There were dozens...

Rausch
06-29-2006, 12:33 AM
The character is flawed because he has no flaws.

If you want to kill the Hulk shoot Banner in the face.

Spiderman can be killed any time with one shot.

Batman, minus all his toys, is still just human.

There is nothing that can even hurt Superman outside of a rock floating in some distant galaxy/solar system that no one can even get to.

It's the flaws in people that they're able to overcome that make heroes...

tk13
06-29-2006, 12:56 AM
But that's what I like about it, but I'm different. I like that he's different than everybody else. And therefore, it's hard for him to fit in. Very simple hero premise that originated with Superman.

There's another part I'd add to that... and I can't really address it without giving major parts of the movie away. The movie addresses his role in society, so to speak. I'm amazed I haven't seen more reviews talking about that, it was pretty strongly emphasized in the movie through both imagery and dialogue.

mcan
06-29-2006, 02:34 AM
But that's what I like about it, but I'm different. I like that he's different than everybody else. And therefore, it's hard for him to fit in. Very simple hero premise that originated with Superman.

There's another part I'd add to that... and I can't really address it without giving major parts of the movie away. The movie addresses his role in society, so to speak. I'm amazed I haven't seen more reviews talking about that, it was pretty strongly emphasized in the movie through both imagery and dialogue.

I did catch one Kubrick reference in the score... But it was so subtle I don't even know if it was intentional. It seemed pretty obvious to me when I heard it though... Maybe I just WANTED it to be there...

tk13
06-29-2006, 03:03 AM
I really don't know. You'd know better than me. I'm sure there's stuff I missed... but Singer obviously thought a lot of this stuff out very carefully. That's why I want to see it again, although it'll be much easier to pick up these things on DVD.

Deberg_1990
06-29-2006, 05:41 AM
. I did find it to be a bit overly dreary. .

I would have to agree....overall it just didnt seem to be having much fun. It was good but not great. It just didnt touch me that much.

I would rate it just a notch below these other Superhero flicks:

Original Superman
Spiderman 2
Batman Begins
X-Men 2

I consider those the "Gold" standard of Superhero Flicks.

mcan
06-29-2006, 06:53 PM
I would have to agree....overall it just didnt seem to be having much fun. It was good but not great. It just didnt touch me that much.

I would rate it just a notch below these other Superhero flicks:

Original Superman
Spiderman 2
Batman Begins
X-Men 2

I consider those the "Gold" standard of Superhero Flicks.

I'd recommend going back and viewing the original Supes again... It's pretty cheezy... Even for a comic book movie. The other movies, I'd have to agree are pretty great though.

Deberg_1990
06-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I'd recommend going back and viewing the original Supes again... It's pretty cheezy... Even for a comic book movie. The other movies, I'd have to agree are pretty great though.

I have watched the orginal ones. Many many times.........and yes they havent aged well. The orginal Superman movie is still pretty damn good though except for the special effects which are now very dated. Donner's vision is pretty much the gold standard for Superhero films. It was the first film to take the Superhero mythology 100% serious. I actually still like Sups 2 & 3 but only for a the cheese nostalga factor. Part 4 isnt even worth mentioning its so bad.

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
i didn't really like it that much. I guess the era of blockbuster summer movies is over.

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
Wow... to say kate hudson was a miscast is very very nice. I was thinking maybe hollywood is required to put a retarded person in a major role by some law california had put in place.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow... to say kate hudson was a miscast is very very nice. I was thinking maybe hollywood is required to put a retarded person in a major role by some law california had put in place.

Kate Bosworth, not Hudson.

Demonpenz
06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
good call. both equally as forgetable i guess.

keg in kc
06-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Just saw it again, this time the IMAX 3D version.

Liked it even more the second time. The pacing didn't seem as slow, and I noticed things I didn't the first time through. It just seemed more coherent on the repeat viewing, and I don't know why.

The 3D scenes were f*cking amazing. I don't know how they did it, but that's the wave of the future.

Tribal Warfare
06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
The character is flawed because he has no flaws.

Their is the interpersonal flaws of revealing his true self and being a general recluse to the world the other super heroes don't have these problems, because in their active lives they do have a life to live. Superman has to be a hero it was his destiny the others chose their path

Fish
06-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Saw it last night. I was unimpressed. Spacey played Lex very very well, but overall the story never really got rolling. Not what I was expecting from Singer. It was a good show.... but my expectations were higher. I thought for $350 zillion and the length of time in production it would be damn near knock-your-socks-off good....

[Sorta spoiler]The whole kryptonite island storyline was really weak too..... And they really pushed the Superman Jr. idea too much without any clear direction... They tried to make it so painfully obvious without anybody talking about it or even considering it.... [/Sorta spoiler]

And I had negative feelings for Lois. I'm not sure why, but I didn't like her. And I would have loved to see a Richard Pryor side comedy character too.....

Tribal Warfare
06-30-2006, 04:58 PM
And I had negative feelings for Lois.

Kate Bosworth didn't have that sassy attitude like Margot Kidder did, and it was like the girl next door trying to be tough and jaded

penchief
06-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Maybe Superman Returns was a less committed attempt to capitalize off the success of Batman Begins. I thought that was the best of all the Batman movies.

I liked Spiderman II, too.

Deberg_1990
06-30-2006, 11:31 PM
And I would have loved to see a Richard Pryor side comedy character too.....

hahah....i hope that was a joke?? Although, Superman 3 did have its moments...I actually liked the Good Superman Vs. Bad Superman stuff in that flick.

FAX
07-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Great cinematic storytelling. Very enjoyable. Even the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX liked it!

Spacy is a great Lex Luther. Was the guy who played Lois' new boyfriend the same guy who played Cyclops?

FAX

Bowser
07-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Great cinematic storytelling. Very enjoyable. Even the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX liked it!

Spacy is a great Lex Luther. Was the guy who played Lois' new boyfriend the same guy who played Cyclops?

FAX

Yes. James Marsden.

FringeNC
07-02-2006, 11:15 AM
I thought it was great, too. The shuttle/airplane scene was awe-inspiring.

Bowser
07-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Took my ten year old to see it, and we both enjoyed it. We are going to check it out in IMAX next.

Jenson71
07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
I went and saw it on the IMAX. I like Routh, an Iowan, as Superman.

FAX
07-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Yes. James Marsden.

Thanks, Mr. Bowser. I think he has a "comic book", leading man face.

In scenes in this movie as well as X-Men, he has expressions that look exactly like comic book scenes.

FAX

Frazod
07-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes. James Marsden.

He's making a real niche for himself as the guy who is destined to get his girlfriend snaked by the main star of the movie. :D

Deberg_1990
07-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Yea...i thougth Marsden was very good in this film and i liked that they didnt make his character out to be the token "bad guy" They actually made him decent. Its too bad that Singer never wrote Cyclops a bigger part in his X-Men films.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-02-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm going to see this on the 4th. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it.

Tribal Warfare
07-05-2006, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twyYIPhSa3U

This what Superman is all about

DaneMcCloud
07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Just got back from the Hollywood Bowl for the fireworks celebration. Ottman was there and the LA Philharmonic did a suite from Superman Returns. I haven't see the movie yet, but I loved the music. He blended key scenes from the Williams score into his own. It was awesome.

I hope I like the movie as much as I enjoyed the score. And the fireworks display was amazing!

Chiefs Pantalones
07-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I saw it today, and it freakin' rocked! I rate it up there with Batman Begins. Routh really makes Superman his own. I loved it. I'm definitely buying it when it comes out on DVD. I got goosebumps during the airlplane scene at the beginning. Reminded me of when I was a kid watching it. The music is still great, and seems a little better, actually. Awesome movie. I loved it.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-05-2006, 01:48 AM
The gun scene was awesome too. The effects were awesome. It wasn't cheesy at all, IMO, it looked like he was flying for real.

Loved it, and I'm buying it.

teedubya
07-09-2006, 12:18 AM
My son and I caught this today... I was quite blown away... that Airplane/Shuttle scene was great... the whole kryptonite island thing was a great plot... plus Superman getting his ass kicked... it was good overall.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2006, 01:48 AM
A home-schooled kid (or should I say, guy, he's 21) I have this summer job with wasn't allowed to see Superman Returns by his parents because there is no such thing as a super MAN. Honestly.