PDA

View Full Version : The sub-genres of rock

Raiderhater
06-27-2006, 12:53 PM
You have alternative, punk, grunge, metal, progressive, ect. (not to mention the different variations of those), with the exception of metal, I have no real idea what the difference is between these sub-genres. I can hear the difference in most the music, but I do not know what sound is what (i.e. I can tell the difference between 3 Doors Down and Third Eye Blind, I just don't know how to lable them). In the past I have always filed everything under the general lable of rock, but am now looking to expand my filing system.

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Oh dear Lord, did you HAVE to start this thread?

More fodder for Reaperization...

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Butt Rock.

HC_Chief
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Alternative = college music. Ben Fold's Five, Third Eye Blind, etc.

Punk = raw, aggressive music. You won't hear it on the radio. At least, not around here :grr: Black Flag, NOFX, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, etc.

Grunge = more metalic version of alternative. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc.

Metal = obvious. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath, Godsmack, Ozzie, Sabbath, etc.

Progressive = bands that try new styles and influences (primarily jazz) that other more mainstream acts ignore (purposely in most cases as it's not a "mainstream" sound). Dream Theater, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), Sonic Youth, etc.

There are always people who will classify music across genres. For example, many consider Sonic Youth a "punk" band. They're wrong, but you may hear it anyway. Others will classify Green Day as punk... and they will actually be correct. "Pop" punk, but punk nonetheless. (GD pisses me off... they could be one of the most hardcore bands out there if they weren't so wrapped up in their own fame & fortune. They used to be much more HC... prior to "Dookie".)

Raiderhater
06-27-2006, 01:06 PM

Sorry, didn't realize I was stirring up a hornet's nest.

But since I did start the thread, care to help? :D

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 01:08 PM
dirt rock is awesome.

where do you hide money from a dirthead?

under the soap.

Raiderhater
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Alternative = college music. Ben Fold's Five, Third Eye Blind, etc.

Punk = raw, aggressive music. You won't hear it on the radio. At least, not around here :grr: Black Flag, NOFX, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, etc.

Grunge = more metalic version of alternative. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, etc.

Metal = obvious. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeath, Godsmack, Ozzie, Sabbath, etc.

Progressive = bands that try new styles and influences (primarily jazz) that other more mainstream acts ignore (purposely in most cases as it's not a "mainstream" sound). Dream Theater, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel), Sonic Youth, etc.

There are always people who will classify music across genres. For example, many consider Sonic Youth a "punk" band. They're wrong, but you may hear it anyway. Others will classify Green Day as punk... and they will actually be correct. "Pop" punk, but punk nonetheless. (GD pisses me off... they could be one of the most hardcore bands out there if they weren't so wrapped up in their own fame & fortune. They used to be much more HC... prior to "Dookie".)

That helps some. Thanks.

HC_Chief
06-27-2006, 01:12 PM
dirt rock is awesome.

where do you hide money from a dirthead?

under the soap.

heh... so that's the genre The Greatful Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews Band belongs to, eh? :D

MOhillbilly
06-27-2006, 01:13 PM
heh... so that's the genre The Greatful Dead, Phish, and Dave Matthews Band belongs to, eh? :D

i cant believe youve never heard that joke. the mere mention of those bands makes my skin crawl w/ the remembrance of the dirt-oil the hippies wear.

jlscorpio
06-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Reaper16 in 5...4...3...2...

Nzoner
06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
You have alternative, punk, grunge, metal, progressive, ect. (not to mention the different variations of those), with the exception of metal, I have no real idea what the difference is between these sub-genres. I can hear the difference in most the music, but I do not know what sound is what (i.e. I can tell the difference between 3 Doors Down and Third Eye Blind, I just don't know how to lable them). In the past I have always filed everything under the general lable of rock, but am now looking to expand my filing system.

I know you know who goes under Boogie/Blues Rock :D

a haw haw haw

Braincase
06-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah... we really don't need to get into all the sub-genres of metal... death/black/speed/thrash/love/grindcore/industrial/ad infinitum

until you arrive at NEO GOTHIC SKANDINAVIAN DEATH METAL!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 02:52 PM
i cant believe youve never heard that joke. the mere mention of those bands makes my skin crawl w/ the remembrance of the dirt-oil the hippies wear.

It's called patchouli, you redneck. :D

Reaper16
06-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Rock (Rock & Roll, blues-rock, etc.)
Hard Rock (Which is very diverse, ranging from Pearl Jam to Poison to Led Zeppelin to Godsmack to whatever.)
Punk Rock
Alternative Rock
Progressive Rock
Post-Rock
Stoner Rock (seperate by way of it's large difference from other forms)

Those are the rock subgenres I see. I might be forgetting some. There are things like "Southern Rock" and "Grunge" that are more descriptors thna anything else. Grunge is pretty obviously a style of hard rock.

*Note that Metal is not a rock subgenre; it being equally influenced by classical and jazz as it is rock*

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Rock (Rock & Roll, blues-rock, etc.)
Hard Rock (Which is very diverse, ranging from Pearl Jam to Poison to Led Zeppelin to Godsmack to whatever.)
Punk Rock
Alternative Rock
Progressive Rock
Post-Rock
Stoner Rock (seperate by way of it's large difference from other forms)

Those are the rock subgenres I see. I might be forgetting some. There are things like "Southern Rock" and "Grunge" that are more descriptors thna anything else. Grunge is pretty obviously a style of hard rock.

*Note that Metal is not a rock subgenre; it being equally influenced by classical and jazz as it is rock*

ROFL

Metal isn't a rock subgenre?

ROFL

I knew I could count on you, man.

Raiderhater
06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
ROFL

ROFL

I knew I could count on you, man.

News to me....

HC_Chief
06-27-2006, 04:27 PM

hehe, Guttermouth said it best: "I'd like to disinfect you, shower you with bleach. Rock collecting moron, nothing but a leach"

HC_Chief
06-27-2006, 04:31 PM
hehe, Guttermouth said it best: "I'd like to disinfect you, shower you with bleach. Rock collecting moron, nothing but a leach"

here's the whole song (funny as hell):

"Trinket Trading, Tick Toting, Toothless, Tired, Tramps.....(a.k.a. "7 T's")"

dancing round in circle staring at the sky
spending hours on a corner trying to hitch a ride
your girlfriend is filthy and stoned out of her mind
she hasn't had a shower since 1969

you can't even read you can't even spell
begging and loafing is all that you do well
your head's full of lice your navel's full of lint
don't you ****ing breath on me go get yourself a mint
frisbee playing hitchikers are lame...
god dawn hippies always smell like shit, piss, hemp and eggs

stringing lots of beads really ain't that neat
dirty, drowsy hippie you need to wash your feet
daisy pickin fruit cake always low on cash
take yours magic beans and shove them up your ass!!!

nothing i hate more dirty hairy chicks
the only things that like them are gnats, fleas and ticks
always out to lunch always so confused
i wonder if they'va ever own a ****ing pair of shoes
frisbee playing hitchikers are lame...
god dawn hippies... smell!!!

stupid lazy can't hold a job

i'd love to disinfect you, shower you with bleach
rock collecting moron, nothing but a leach
make you clip you toenails, make you cut your hair
rid the world of hippies, purifies our air

Nightwish
06-27-2006, 04:46 PM
ROFL

ROFL

I knew I could count on you, man.Actually, I've always thought kinda the same thing. Metal is a child of rock, but it's also a child of classical and jazz (maybe even folk). It didn't spring firmly from one then gradually picked up elements of the other two, but rather sprang from a sort of 3-way marriage of all three. It could be said to be a rock subgenre, but to call it that, you'd also have to call it a classical subgenre and a jazz subgenre.

Baby Lee
06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
It's called patchouli, you redneck. :D
Ahh yes, the indelible scent of easy pussy!! :thumb:

Reaper16
06-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Actually, I've always thought kinda the same thing. Metal is a child of rock, but it's also a child of classical and jazz (maybe even folk). It didn't spring firmly from one then gradually picked up elements of the other two, but rather sprang from a sort of 3-way marriage of all three. It could be said to be a rock subgenre, but to call it that, you'd also have to call it a classical subgenre and a jazz subgenre.
Thank you for being intelligent and knowledgable; something you never fail to be it seems. :thumb:

That is exactly why metal isn't a rock subgenre.

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Actually, I've always thought kinda the same thing. Metal is a child of rock, but it's also a child of classical and jazz (maybe even folk). It didn't spring firmly from one then gradually picked up elements of the other two, but rather sprang from a sort of 3-way marriage of all three. It could be said to be a rock subgenre, but to call it that, you'd also have to call it a classical subgenre and a jazz subgenre.

Lots of types of music carry influences from other genres. Bands like Deep Purple and Malmsteen wouldn't be the bands they are without classical music for instance - it's an integral piece of their sound.

I don't disagree that metal is a product of not just rock, but also jazz and classical. However, you can get CLOSE to the metal sound without classical or jazz. You cannot however get CLOSE to the metal sound without rock. Sorry.

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Thank you for being intelligent and knowledgable; something you never fail to be it seems. :thumb:

That is exactly why metal isn't a rock subgenre.

If it makes you feel better and somehow superior to the rest of the music world, believe whatever you want. Just realize why 99% of the people out there think you're nuts.

jlscorpio
06-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Stoner Rock rules.

Reaper16
06-28-2006, 02:13 PM
If it makes you feel better and somehow superior to the rest of the music world, believe whatever you want. Just realize why 99% of the people out there think you're nuts.
99% of the people aout there are complete ****ing idiots about everything. Statistical fact, I'm sure.

The good majority of the people here on the Planet, though, fall in that 1% who aren't; people with opinions I respect. So really, it's just a fraction of 1% who think I'm nuts that I even care about. Even then, no biggie.

I'll also disagree with the notion that because rock appears to be the biggest chunk of the metal sound, that it is a sub-genre of rock. The heavy guitars is about the biggest straight comparison to rock. Most metal shares it's compositional traits most closely to jazz and classical. Then again, you said once that music theory and song structure are the most overrated terms in music. Which is like saying on-base percentage and walk to K ratio are the most overrated stats in baseball.

I don't, however, wish to turn this thread into another one about metal. It's a rock thread. We could ignore the issue of metal as pertains to rock from here on out. Unless, of course, you want to keep pushing each other's buttons.

Reaper16
06-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Stoner Rock rules.
Hell yeah, it does.

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 02:24 PM
99% of the people aout there are complete ****ing idiots about everything. Statistical fact, I'm sure.

The good majority of the people here on the Planet, though, fall in that 1% who aren't; people with opinions I respect. So really, it's just a fraction of 1% who think I'm nuts that I even care about. Even then, no biggie.

I'll also disagree with the notion that because rock appears to be the biggest chunk of the metal sound, that it is a sub-genre of rock. The heavy guitars is about the biggest straight comparison to rock. Most metal shares it's compositional traits most closely to jazz and classical. Then again, you said once that music theory and song structure are the most overrated terms in music. Which is like saying on-base percentage and walk to K ratio are the most overrated stats in baseball.

I don't, however, wish to turn this thread into another one about metal. It's a rock thread. We could ignore the issue of metal as pertains to rock from here on out. Unless, of course, you want to keep pushing each other's buttons.

Alot of rock shares compositional traits with jazz and classical. Alot of MUSIC shares compositional traits with jazz and classical, and other types of music for that matter.

I know what you're wanting to do, you're wanting your favorite musical style to be "special". There's nothing wrong with that. But when you go on about it like you have here, it would seem to most here that you want us to think it's a superior form of music -- as if rock and roll is "dirty" but since metal is actually classically and jazz-influenced, it's an "enlightened" form of music. That's why I said that music theory is overrated - because the only time it comes up is in "my music is more musical than yours" discussions.

There's no need to turn this into a thread about metal, you're absolutely right.

It's already about metal, because metal is a sub-genre of rock. :D

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM

Keep it strong

keep it clean

keep metal out of our scene.

-one of the best.-

sedated
06-28-2006, 03:53 PM

isn't everything?

Reaper16
06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Alot of rock shares compositional traits with jazz and classical. Alot of MUSIC shares compositional traits with jazz and classical, and other types of music for that matter.

I know what you're wanting to do, you're wanting your favorite musical style to be "special". There's nothing wrong with that. But when you go on about it like you have here, it would seem to most here that you want us to think it's a superior form of music -- as if rock and roll is "dirty" but since metal is actually classically and jazz-influenced, it's an "enlightened" form of music. That's why I said that music theory is overrated - because the only time it comes up is in "my music is more musical than yours" discussions.

That's not the idea. At all. I'm nearly speechless, becaus eyou have me penciled in completely wrong. remember those 99% of people referenced earlier? The total morons? They're the ones who pretend to talk about music theory to, as you say, make thier music "more musical." I'm talking about actual things that make metal seperate and distinct from rock enough that it's a genre in and of itself. For example: Rock, like the Blues heavily uses the Pentatonic scales, both major and minor. You don't see that in metal, really. A lot of metal's turf are the harmonic minor and dorian scales. The Phrygian dominant scale is a favorite of progressive metal bands by way of flamenco. From my end, it's a pure discussion of music. Rock is in now wya shape of form "dirty."

There's no need to turn this into a thread about metal, you're absolutely right.

It's already about metal, because metal is a sub-genre of rock. :D
I will stab you multiple times. :D

jlscorpio
06-28-2006, 10:00 PM
Reaper, would you consider Down stoner rock, doom metal, or some strange genre I've heard referred as southern metal?

Reaper16
06-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Reaper, would you consider Down stoner rock, doom metal, or some strange genre I've heard referred as southern metal?
They're more stoner rock, to me. Some people use the word sludge to describe bands like Down and Crowbar. I'm not one of them.
They're not pure stoner rock, though. There are blues and doom metal elements. I don't think anyone would balk at calling them Stoner/Doom. (High on Fire is a great example of blending stoner rock and doom metal.)

Apoligies on my typos in my last post. I was rushing off to go to the Skynyrd concert and found myself reading a post that I really had to address. My point in my last post was that when I talk about music theory, I'm actually meaning something by it. Hitis got me all wrong. And when I say that metal is different from rock, it's not to demean rock in any way. If I thought that rock was "dirty" then why would I go see Skynyrd?

Now there's an on-topic question: is "Southern Rock" and actual genre?

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 07:37 AM
That's not the idea. At all. I'm nearly speechless, becaus eyou have me penciled in completely wrong. remember those 99% of people referenced earlier? The total morons? They're the ones who pretend to talk about music theory to, as you say, make thier music "more musical." I'm talking about actual things that make metal seperate and distinct from rock enough that it's a genre in and of itself. For example: Rock, like the Blues heavily uses the Pentatonic scales, both major and minor. You don't see that in metal, really. A lot of metal's turf are the harmonic minor and dorian scales. The Phrygian dominant scale is a favorite of progressive metal bands by way of flamenco. From my end, it's a pure discussion of music. Rock is in now wya shape of form "dirty."

I will stab you multiple times. :D

See, your whole post says the SAME thing to me as it did before. You're trying to pigeonhole "rock" music.

How would you classify Deep Purple or Rainbow? Richie Blackmore used heavily various classical modes. I wouldn't consider them Metal, they're rock. Even if you want to argue Deep Purple is metal, what would you call Yes? Or Rush?

Music is just not gonna fit into the fine little buckets you want it to fit into.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 07:50 AM
And don't get me wrong, Reaper. This is all in good fun. I'm just offering you my perspective.

jlscorpio
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
To me, "southern rock" is definately a genre. Skynyrd, .38 Special, Marshall Tucker, and even Charlie Daniels enjoyed a lot of success during Southern Rock's heyday from about 75-80.

MOhillbilly
06-29-2006, 08:39 AM
**** it, if it sounds good and rocks its rock.

period.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 08:58 AM
**** it, if it sounds good and rocks its rock.

period.

Yep.

Reaper16
06-29-2006, 12:38 PM
See, your whole post says the SAME thing to me as it did before. You're trying to pigeonhole "rock" music.

How would you classify Deep Purple or Rainbow? Richie Blackmore used heavily various classical modes. I wouldn't consider them Metal, they're rock. Even if you want to argue Deep Purple is metal, what would you call Yes? Or Rush?

Music is just not gonna fit into the fine little buckets you want it to fit into.
Rush and Yes are most definitely progressive rock. DP and Rainbow have progressive elements to thier music.

I'm not nearly the obsessive classifier that I'm being made out to be, it's just the case of discussing this with peeps who seem to detest the notion of genre.

Genre, noun, A category of artistic composition, as in music, cinema or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content.

To me, a style of music is a genre when it's established as unique and seperate in it's own ways from other genres, and allows for bands to plays said style for thier entire careers and be viable. Taking the case of metal: Metal, the way I see it backed by actual fact about music composition glossed over in these parts, fits the criteria. It is a big genre, so it branches out, much like rock does. Sub-genres are okay in my book, too. They need to still fit the same criteria. Death, thrash, and black metal are examples of legit sub genres in metal. Rock has unique sub genres like prog-rock, southern rock, etc. No one is going to mistake a prog rock song for a southern rock song. That makes it a seperate and unique sound, doesn't it? That said, the sub genres are still linked to the parent. Both Judas Preist and Morbid Angel are still metal. Both .38 Special and Genesis are still rock.

Sub-sub-genres are just silly to me. (Which, say, death metal would be if metal were a sub-gerne of rock) Music media likes to use a lot of descriptor words, like (in the case of metal) Technical Death Metal, or Symphonic Black Metal. These cases don't qualify under the genre stipulation, they're just phrases to better describe the sound of a given band.

In closing, genres should be seperate from one another to qualify as such. Think of movies. Horror and Romance are very much different. Genres. Since we're talking about rock and metal, you could draw the comparison to action and adventure movies. There is a lot of crossover going on, but who says you can't blend? Romantic-Comedy, etc. I'm really not this obsessive genre labeler; I listen to a lot of bands that nearly refuse to be catagorized. I think that's good and healthy to show some originality.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Rush and Yes are most definitely progressive rock. DP and Rainbow have progressive elements to thier music.

I'm not nearly the obsessive classifier that I'm being made out to be, it's just the case of discussing this with peeps who seem to detest the notion of genre.

Genre, noun, A category of artistic composition, as in music, cinema or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content.

To me, a style of music is a genre when it's established as unique and seperate in it's own ways from other genres, and allows for bands to plays said style for thier entire careers and be viable. Taking the case of metal: Metal, the way I see it backed by actual fact about music composition glossed over in these parts, fits the criteria. It is a big genre, so it branches out, much like rock does. Sub-genres are okay in my book, too. They need to still fit the same criteria. Death, thrash, and black metal are examples of legit sub genres in metal. Rock has unique sub genres like prog-rock, southern rock, etc. No one is going to mistake a prog rock song for a southern rock song. That makes it a seperate and unique sound, doesn't it? That said, the sub genres are still linked to the parent. Both Judas Preist and Morbid Angel are still metal. Both .38 Special and Genesis are still rock.

Sub-sub-genres are just silly to me. (Which, say, death metal would be if metal were a sub-gerne of rock) Music media likes to use a lot of descriptor words, like (in the case of metal) Technical Death Metal, or Symphonic Black Metal. These cases don't qualify under the genre stipulation, they're just phrases to better describe the sound of a given band.

In closing, genres should be seperate from one another to qualify as such. Think of movies. Horror and Romance are very much different. Genres. Since we're talking about rock and metal, you could draw the comparison to action and adventure movies. There is a lot of crossover going on, but who says you can't blend? Romantic-Comedy, etc. I'm really not this obsessive genre labeler; I listen to a lot of bands that nearly refuse to be catagorized. I think that's good and healthy to show some originality.

The problem with comparing music and movies is that movies are categorized by CONTENT - how it is viewed by the consumer.

Whereas you're classifying music according to it's CONSTRUCTION - how it was put together by the artist or director in the case of movies.

If you were going to use the same standard of classifying movies that you have for music, you wouldn't end up with Horror or Romance categories at all. You'd end up with "Color", "Computer Animated", "8mm", etc. Or you might end up with whole categories dedicated to certain directors or styles of directing.

Which leads to the 2nd point, categorizing music according to compositional structure implies INFLUENCE. That genre of music didn't come out of thin air. It arose by taking one part existing music and one part new and exciting idea and putting them together to create a new and interesting sound.

You started to hit on it slightly at the end of your 4th paragraph. To me, any effort to illustrate the genres of music must look like a tree. If rock and roll is the trunk, then metal is a low, thick primary branch. Off of it shoots the branches of genres of METAL, but at it's core it is still a growth out of rock and roll.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 01:30 PM
For the sake of conversation, I should also note that I seem to only have these types of discussions with metal fans and prog-rock fans (and to a lesser extent punk fans).

Moooo
06-29-2006, 01:48 PM
I just heard Rainbow on the radio the other night... kinda rare, IMO

IIII'm the maaaaaan on the siiiiiiiiiiiilllver mouuunntaaaaaaaiin!

Moooo

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 01:52 PM
I just heard Rainbow on the radio the other night... kinda rare, IMO

IIII'm the maaaaaan on the siiiiiiiiiiiilllver mouuunntaaaaaaaiin!

Moooo

Ronnie James Dio, lucky ****er...the evil elf got to jam with both Tony Iommi AND Richie Blackmore...

Reaper16
06-29-2006, 04:30 PM
For the sake of conversation, I should also note that I seem to only have these types of discussions with metal fans and prog-rock fans (and to a lesser extent punk fans).
Metal and prog-rock peeps (of which I am both) do seem to have the trait to defend genres and such. I guess it comes with the territory. To be truthful, there is a great deal of elitism amongst fans of both.

Reaper16
06-29-2006, 04:38 PM
The problem with comparing music and movies is that movies are categorized by CONTENT - how it is viewed by the consumer.

Whereas you're classifying music according to it's CONSTRUCTION - how it was put together by the artist or director in the case of movies.

If you were going to use the same standard of classifying movies that you have for music, you wouldn't end up with Horror or Romance categories at all. You'd end up with "Color", "Computer Animated", "8mm", etc. Or you might end up with whole categories dedicated to certain directors or styles of directing.

Which leads to the 2nd point, categorizing music according to compositional structure implies INFLUENCE. That genre of music didn't come out of thin air. It arose by taking one part existing music and one part new and exciting idea and putting them together to create a new and interesting sound.

You started to hit on it slightly at the end of your 4th paragraph. To me, any effort to illustrate the genres of music must look like a tree. If rock and roll is the trunk, then metal is a low, thick primary branch. Off of it shoots the branches of genres of METAL, but at it's core it is still a growth out of rock and roll.

This is interesting discussion. There certainly is some of that type of genreization in film. In most cases, the public perception is correct about the kind of movie/music. Not many people are going to mistake a horror movie for a romance movie. There doesn't have to be a difference between construction and content for the most part.

And about influence, I've acknowledged all along that genres have influences from other forms of music. This much is obvious. The tree analogy is wholly correct. However, the idea of genres can be seperate from the Music Tree. If they were treated the same, then rock would be a subgenre of blues, blues a subgenre of african folk, etc. All of a sudden you have sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-sub genres of music, which is silly.
Genres are set when a style of music can have an entire self-sustaining scene built around it. A band could play prog-rock thier entire career. Everyone can picture what "prog-rock" sounds like. Thus, progressive rock is an established (sub)genre. Obviously, not every band can be placed into a genre. These are usually the visionary bands of the world doing new things. Who knows, if what they're doing inspires like-minded bands, thier sound may becomet he basis for a new genre.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:32 PM
I didn't read this entire thread. However, I will say that I think Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, and 3 Doors Down fall into their own catagory called Pop Rock. If it's played on a radio station right before 50 cent comes on, it's got to have Pop somewhere in it. I love all 3 of those bands, particularly 3rd Eye Blind. So I'm not bashing the Pop Rock by any means. I know Pop music is referred to some as Pop Rock but I disagree. Hanson, and other bands of this genre (I don't know any other examples) are no where near Rock status.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Rush and Yes are most definitely progressive rock.

I absolutely HATE this statement, and am compelled to hand out my 4th ever neg rep for it. However I won't. I just can't disagree with it no matter how much I want too. Rush is progressive rock. I think I just puked in my mouth.

Reaper16
06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
I absolutely HATE this statement, and am compelled to hand out my 4th ever neg rep for it. However I won't. I just can't disagree with it no matter how much I want too. Rush is progressive rock. I think I just puked in my mouth.
And they would be more accurately described as....? I'd like to hear your take instead of just a general objection.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 01:17 AM
And they would be more accurately described as....? I'd like to hear your take instead of just a general objection.

Actually it wasn't an objection at all. I merely stated I don't like admitting it. See Rush is my absolute favorite band EVAR!!! For some reason the genre "Progressive Rock" makes me think sissy. Rush is the exception to the rule. I agree, they fit the mold of progressive rock.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Actually it wasn't an objection at all. I merely stated I don't like admitting it. See Rush is my absolute favorite band EVAR!!! For some reason the genre "Progressive Rock" makes me think sissy. Rush is the exception to the rule. I agree, they fit the mold of progressive rock.

Progressive Rock makes me think sissy too. Which is why Rush fits perfectly. :D

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 07:44 AM
To be truthful, there is a great deal of elitism amongst fans of both.

ROFL

:thumb:

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:09 AM

OW!

Geddy's voice is all high pitched and whatnot, but they're still cool.

"OOOOF SAAAALESMENNN!!!"

Moooo

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 11:19 AM
"Stoner Rock" is a very broad term. When I hear that term, I think of everything from that band that did "Runaway Train" (crap, I can't think of their name!) to Monster Magnet.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 11:23 AM
"Stoner Rock" is a very broad term. When I hear that term, I think of everything from that band that did "Runaway Train" (crap, I can't think of their name!)

Soul Asylum

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
"Stoner Rock" is a very broad term. When I hear that term, I think of everything from that band that did "Runaway Train" (crap, I can't think of their name!) to Monster Magnet.

How about Blind Melon?

Moooo

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 11:24 AM

You can lick my baows.

jlscorpio
06-30-2006, 11:40 AM
thats where I seperate stoner rock and grunge, nightwish

RedandGold
06-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Nice!
ROFL

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Soul Asylum
Thank you!

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
How about Blind Melon?

Moooo
Them too.

htismaqe
06-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Monster Magnet ****ing rules.

"You're looking for the one who ****ed your mom, it's not me, it's not me"

Reaper16
06-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Prog-rock ain't sissy. I'll fite over it. I'll cut a ho.

ChiefFripp
06-30-2006, 01:22 PM
I'm sure if you asked Tony Iommi ,Steve Harris, Glenn Tipton, Mikael Akerfeldt, Kerry King, or even James Keenan, they'd tell you Metal was mainly a sub-genre of rock that splintered into its own thing, and uses various influences from other genres(something rock has done all along). Look at the instrumentsyou find in jazz and classical compared to what you find rock and metal. While most metal bands have the basic instrument set-up as most rock bands, you'll find classical and jazz set ups are very different from both rock and metal.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Prog-rock ain't sissy. I'll fite over it. I'll cut a ho.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

penguinz
06-30-2006, 06:24 PM
No mention of thrash-core or ska-core?

penguinz
06-30-2006, 06:25 PM
or Ambient Doom-Metal or Neandercore metal

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 07:14 PM
The best descriptor I've ever seen was in a magazine article about the band 45 Grave (they do the song "Party Time" from the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack, which is actually just one of several versions of that song that they have recorded on various of their albums). They were described as "Neo-metal post-punk what-the-f**k ghoul rock."

penguinz
06-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I just watched RotLD 4 and it was horrible. By far the worst of the Living Dead series. (I have not seen 5 yet)

Reaper16
06-30-2006, 08:34 PM
or Ambient Doom-Metal or Neandercore metal
Ambient Doom does exist, actually.

Raiderhater
06-30-2006, 08:39 PM

I now know what you were talking about.

At least I got a couple of responses early on.....

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 09:06 PM
I just watched RotLD 4 and it was horrible. By far the worst of the Living Dead series. (I have not seen 5 yet)
I'm not sure which one is 4. I remember 3, which was the one with the girl who kept piercing herself to keep from going totally zombie, and it was kind of cool - she looked especially cool by the end of it. I also saw one that was subtitled "Necropolis," which sucked big time, but I'm not sure if that was 4 or 5. 1 and 2 were great, and 3 was at least interesting. 1 was the best, though, although it still doesn't quite match up to the original NoftLD.

penguinz
06-30-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not sure which one is 4. I remember 3, which was the one with the girl who kept piercing herself to keep from going totally zombie, and it was kind of cool - she looked especially cool by the end of it. I also saw one that was subtitled "Necropolis," which sucked big time, but I'm not sure if that was 4 or 5. 1 and 2 were great, and 3 was at least interesting. 1 was the best, though, although it still doesn't quite match up to the original NoftLD.
Necropolis was 4.

penguinz
06-30-2006, 09:24 PM
Ambient Doom does exist, actually.I know it does. So does neandercore.

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Necropolis was 4.
Well, I concur with your analysis. It was definitely the worst of the series, although, like you, I haven't seen 5 yet.

Reaper16
07-01-2006, 01:15 AM
I know it does. So does neandercore.
I calll bullshit. Ambient Doom makes sense. (An ambient approach to tdoom metal) Neandercore does not.

Reaper16
07-01-2006, 01:16 AM
I now know what you were talking about.

At least I got a couple of responses early on.....
Well shit-balls, I gave you an answer too. "Know I know what you were talking about" :harumph: :harumph:

penguinz
07-01-2006, 08:53 AM
I calll bullshit. Ambient Doom makes sense. (An ambient approach to tdoom metal) Neandercore does not.http://www.neandercore.com It is type of death metal. ;)

Reaper16
07-01-2006, 12:08 PM
http://www.neandercore.com It is type of death metal. ;)
Oh, I know of Troglodyte. I would say that "neandercore" is just a term that they use to describe thier music. Not anything close to a sub-genre. It remindes me of Deadsy calling their music "Undercore" or HORSE the Band calling thier's "Nintendocore"

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Nintendocore? ROFL

Braincase
07-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Nintendocore? ROFL

XBOXOR r0x0r5!!!

Reaper16
07-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Nintendocore? ROFL
Yeah, they call it Nintendocore because they play hardcore punk (the real subgenre they fall into) but use synth lines that sound like they were coming from an NES game.

htismaqe
07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Yeah, they call it Nintendocore because they play hardcore punk (the real subgenre they fall into) but use synth lines that sound like they were coming from an NES game.

OMG, that's hilarious. I always thought the midi track from Tecmo Bowl would make a good tune... :D

penguinz
07-02-2006, 09:14 AM
Oh, I know of Troglodyte. I would say that "neandercore" is just a term that they use to describe thier music. Not anything close to a sub-genre. It remindes me of Deadsy calling their music "Undercore" or HORSE the Band calling thier's "Nintendocore"
How do you know of troglodyte?

|Zach|
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Genres are dead.

Reaper16
07-02-2006, 05:40 PM
How do you know of troglodyte?
A freind of mine told me about them. He heard of them from one of the guitarists in Origin (a Kansas technical death/grind band), I think. If a band is related to metal, there is a strong chance I've heard of them.

penguinz
07-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Troglodyte plays their first gig on July 7th at the Island in Lee's Summit. Will be an interesting show.

Reaper16
07-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Troglodyte plays their first gig on July 7th at the Island in Lee's Summit. Will be an interesting show.
The Island Bar. Cool. My good friends in the KC metalcore band Forlorn Hope play there all the time. I'll probably check out the show on the 7th.

penguinz
07-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Cool. They plan on being in full costume and they play their 25 minute set with no breaks between songs. Should be interesting to see how the crowd reacts.