PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar: Supernova...starts 7/6

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 02:54 PM
It's surely gotta be better than last time, right?

In case your wondering, Supernova is:

Tommy Lee
Jason Newsted
Gilby Clarke

Nightwish
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM
It's surely gotta be better than last time, right?

Better than last time for what?

Last time for Rock Star? I expect it'll be good, but Rock Star: INXS was pretty good, too.

Last time for Motley Crue, Metallica and Guns & Roses? Probably.

htismaqe
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Better than the last Rock Star.

INXS sucks for one. And then they took the pretty boy instead of the good one...

Moooo
06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Better than the last Rock Star.

INXS sucks for one. And then they took the pretty boy instead of the good one...

What do you expect from a band who's lead singer strangled himself trying to cum harder?

Moooo

Nightwish
06-27-2006, 04:18 PM
INXS sucks for one.
That's a matter of opinion, I suppose. I'm not a huge fan, but they were a decent band, and one of the most influential of their era.

And then they took the pretty boy instead of the good one...
I agree with you there. They didn't take the one I voted for. Actually I didn't like either of the two finalists. I liked the dude that was from Australia (or was it New Zealand?), whatever his name was.

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 08:11 AM
INXS influential? I'm gonna have to strongly disagree with that.

Selling records doesn't equal influential.

chop
06-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I thought JD had the better voice and was a good performer.

I thought Marty was OK but I don't think he had the right voice to handle the older INXS songs. I didn't like his style as much.

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 10:19 AM
I thought JD had the better voice and was a good performer.

I thought Marty was OK but I don't think he had the right voice to handle the older INXS songs. I didn't like his style as much.

I thought JD fit INXS pretty well. They're both lame. :D

Seriously, I just thought JD's whole persona screamed "POSER!" And Marty's original song "Trees" was EXCELLENT.

chop
06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I thought JD fit INXS pretty well. They're both lame. :D

Seriously, I just thought JD's whole persona screamed "POSER!" And Marty's original song "Trees" was EXCELLENT.

Wasn't that the point of the show, to "pose" as the lead singer of a lame band. :D

I think Marty followed that song up with another one of his hit songs shrubs. That song was ok for the show but it wasn't anything I was going to run out and buy.

Simplex3
06-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Wasn't that the point of the show, to "pose" as the lead singer of a lame band. :D

I think Marty followed that song up with another one of his hit songs shrubs. That song was ok for the show but it wasn't anything I was going to run out and buy.
FYI, Marty's band did release an album after the show and it is pretty damn good. I'm just glad he didn't get stuck with those losers INXS.

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 07:31 AM
FYI, Marty's band did release an album after the show and it is pretty damn good. I'm just glad he didn't get stuck with those losers INXS.

I haven't heard their album but they've been on Mancow (ironically, they were on a few times BEFORE the show) and they sound alright.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:16 PM
That's a matter of opinion, I suppose. I'm not a huge fan, but they were a decent band, and one of the most influential of their era.

Maybe in Austrailia. I think that's where they're from. Even still though, I'd say that would be a toss up between them and Silverchair.

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Maybe in Austrailia. I think that's where they're from. Even still though, I'd say that would be a toss up between them and Silverchair.
I was referring to their era of the late 80s and early 90s. I don't think Silverchair was around then. During their time, they influenced quite a few bands. You can hear their sound emulated by several bands of that time, though most of them didn't stick around. I've even heard Edge from U2 cite them as an influence for some of U2's later work.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I was referring to their era of the late 80s and early 90s. I don't think Silverchair was around then. During their time, they influenced quite a few bands. You can hear their sound emulated by several bands of that time, though most of them didn't stick around. I've even heard Edge from U2 cite them as an influence for some of U2's later work.

Silverchair came out around (don't quote me here) 1992. However the alternative sound would lead me to believe that they were the "next" era.

Nightwish
06-30-2006, 08:24 PM
What gets me is all the advertisements I keep seeing about how "one of these people will become the new lead singer for Tommy Lee's new band Supernova!" I understand that Tommy Lee is the best known of the three, but Gilby Clark and Jason Newstead aren't exactly no-names!

Simplex3
07-03-2006, 04:04 PM
What gets me is all the advertisements I keep seeing about how "one of these people will become the new lead singer for Tommy Lee's new band Supernova!" I understand that Tommy Lee is the best known of the three, but Gilby Clark and Jason Newstead aren't exactly no-names!
Second, he's the f**king drummer for Pete's sake. The only guy less musically gifted in any band is the bass player.

htismaqe
07-04-2006, 04:51 AM
Second, he's the f**king drummer for Pete's sake. The only guy less musically gifted in any band is the bass player.

ROFL

While funny, I have to disagree.

Guitarists and singers, as a whole, are the worst of the lot.

Nightwish
07-04-2006, 04:31 PM
While that is true in many cases, it's not always true. Rush, for instance, is a definite exception to that rule. Neil and Geddy are the two most musically talented (instruments, not voice) players in the band, though Alex is no slouch. I think even most of the Rush haters on here would have to agree that comparitively, Neil and Geddy are 1 and 2 (or 2 and 1, take your pick) in that band.

htismaqe
07-04-2006, 05:09 PM
While that is true in many cases, it's not always true. Rush, for instance, is a definite exception to that rule. Neil and Geddy are the two most musically talented (instruments, not voice) players in the band, though Alex is no slouch. I think even most of the Rush haters on here would have to agree that comparitively, Neil and Geddy are 1 and 2 (or 2 and 1, take your pick) in that band.

I don't really like Rush.

And even I would say Neil is not only #1 in the band, he's in the top 5 of all drummers...

Over-Head
07-07-2006, 02:49 AM

Gee, nice to know us drummers have no music ability .
I guess all we do is sit there and swig our arms around all night.
Oh wait?
Yeah that’s right, we have to be able to move 4 body parts independently of each other at varying time intervals and signatures. WITHOUT letting the band slip out of time.

Not hard to tell the only thing you can play is your pecker

Simplex3
07-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Gee, nice to know us drummers have no music ability .
I guess all we do is sit there and swig our arms around all night
Uhm, you swig your arms? I guess I could have guessed since you're a Raiders fan and all...
Oh wait?
Yeah that’s right, we have to be able to move 4 body parts independently of each other at varying time intervals and signatures. WITHOUT letting the band slip out of time.
So you're all epileptic? :shrug:

htismaqe
07-10-2006, 11:50 AM
So did anybody watch this?

I'd be interested to hear opinions...

DaKCMan AP
07-10-2006, 02:01 PM

So Don Henley (Eagles) and Phil Collins (Genesis) aren't as musically gifted as the other band members?

Simplex3
07-10-2006, 02:18 PM
So Don Henley (Eagles) and Phil Collins (Genesis) aren't as musically gifted as the other band members?
Ok, everyone f**king relax. It was a J O K E...

We've got way too many overly sensitive people around here.

DaKCMan AP
07-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Good thing it was a joke. YOu almost had me at tears in a combustible mixture of rage and inner hurt.

htismaqe
07-10-2006, 02:39 PM

I got it was a joke. I already LAUGHED.

Now can we please discuss the show?!?!

:D

DaKCMan AP
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I understand their reasoning, but getting rid of that guy for doing a Duran Duran song was weak. He had a much better voice that the other 2 in the bottom 3.

I thought the guy who performed and sounded best was the dude who did the Black Crowes song.

Oh yeah, Brooke Burke is amazing! ;)

htismaqe
07-10-2006, 04:05 PM
The guy that did the Duran Duran song would have been great on LAST YEAR'S show. It's fuggin' Lee, Clarke, and Newsted. That pussy deserved to go home for being stupid.

I hate to admit it, but the freaky-looking dude from Canada looks like the best fit to me. He killed that Billy Idol tune and then they set him up to be the bad guy, just like they did JD Fortune last year...

DaKCMan AP
07-10-2006, 04:12 PM
The guy that did the Duran Duran song would have been great on LAST YEAR'S show. It's fuggin' Lee, Clarke, and Newsted. That pussy deserved to go home for being stupid.

I hate to admit it, but the freaky-looking dude from Canada looks like the best fit to me. He killed that Billy Idol tune and then they set him up to be the bad guy, just like they did JD Fortune last year...

Yeah, he was good, but I can't label him as great yet. He'll have to do more than a Billy Idol song. Plus, half the time I couldn't even make out the words "Rebel Yell" or "More" He sounded like a screaming slurred drunk in tune.

Over-Head
07-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Ok, you have the former rythem guitarest from GnR
Former Drummer from Motley Crue
and Former bass player from Metalica.
I agree with htismaqe this dude deserved to be canned just for thinking he could do "ANYTHING" to a Duran Duran song and get these 3 to listen.

The elf from Toronto came out with a big ole’ can of "let’s stir up some sh*t" and apparently got away with it.
Too soon to tell who’s a complete twit and who’s not.

The Gal they had do the encore is scary to say the least but her breath and voice control are great.
Jump around and have a seizure but NOT lose pitch...Very reminiscent of Axl Rose (UYI I&II DVD)

Gonna be cool to watch what the singers do to the bands own songs.

The House band is as hot as ever. And when you listen to them you really have to be a losewr not to sound good.

Hell If it were me and I got to pick what song I wanted if I landed in the bottom 3 I’d do one like Kickstart my hart, Enter Sandman, or November Rain.
I mean look at it this way. Your in the bottom 3, your probably done anyway.
Go out in flames :fire:

Simplex3
07-11-2006, 08:09 AM
IMO the three guys in last week's bottom three can't go home soon enough. I'm still not sure how someone dumb enough to trot out Duran Duran in that scenario even got into the show to begin with, though.

htismaqe
07-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Yeah, he was good, but I can't label him as great yet. He'll have to do more than a Billy Idol song. Plus, half the time I couldn't even make out the words "Rebel Yell" or "More" He sounded like a screaming slurred drunk in tune.

He should fit in quite well. :D

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
The first 3 performances tonight were lame.

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2006, 07:16 PM
the house band is awesome

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2006, 07:17 PM
wow..this guy sucks..he's murdering franz ferdinand's song

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2006, 07:21 PM
i love ring of fire and that was the shit! awesome rendition and performance

NewChief
07-11-2006, 07:48 PM
ROFL

Just watched this for the first time tonight. Patrice got up to sing and I told my wife "Hold on! I know that chick."

She used to be in a band called Little Sister that we partied with a lot in college, then she was later in a band called Sister 7. Currently she has a band called Black Box Rebellion. She's a talented chick.

Marcellus
07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
the house band is awesome

By far one of the best parts of the show is the house band.

I doubt Supernova could pull off those songs in short notice the way those guys do.

Studio musicians are some of the best.
Even the drummer and bass players. :)

Deberg_1990
07-11-2006, 08:44 PM
The Australian guy was my fave from last week.....He did a great rendition of Knockin on Heavens Door, even though that song has been done to death.

Simplex3
07-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The Australian guy was my fave from last week.....He did a great rendition of Knockin on Heavens Door, even though that song has been done to death.
He was pretty damn good tonight, too.

htismaqe
07-12-2006, 07:26 AM
He's a good singer, but I don't think he fits the band at all.

htismaqe
07-12-2006, 07:26 AM

I doubt Supernova could pull off those songs in short notice the way those guys do.

Short notice? They rehearse non-stop for a week... :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
07-12-2006, 07:36 AM
my favorites so far are the freaky chick who got last week's (and should get this week's) encore and the guy who sang creed this week although he does need to cut out all the runs he tries to do.

chagrin
07-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Ok guys, I know many of you dig the show and for some reason actually think these poelpe can sing "really well" and all, but I have to chime in to say that I haven't heard one decent voice on that show yet. None of them could lead a real rock band to fame, without this show helping them of course.

This show is an embarassment. Any band who actually works their way into a contract should be more than a littl irritated and these people should be ashamed of themselves for thuinking they can be compared to real talent out there selling records without benefit of the machine.

htismaqe
07-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Ok guys, I know many of you dig the show and for some reason actually think these poelpe can sing "really well" and all, but I have to chime in to say that I haven't heard one decent voice on that show yet. None of them could lead a real rock band to fame, without this show helping them of course.

This show is an embarassment. Any band who actually works their way into a contract should be more than a littl irritated and these people should be ashamed of themselves for thuinking they can be compared to real talent out there selling records without benefit of the machine.

What? That's just stupid.

This isn't American Idol, dude.

DaKCMan AP
07-12-2006, 12:15 PM

:spock:

Nightwish
07-12-2006, 12:30 PM

With or without the show, whoever they chose as a lead singer would get a measure of success and recognition just by association with the fame already enjoyed by the other three. So they've found a new and fun way to audition new singers. So what? Would you rather they give a newcomer a shot at working with famous musicians like these, or would you have prefered that they pull some has been out of the archives, dust 'em off, and prop 'em up on stage? Joe Lynn Turner sings for his 325th band! Your criticism seems to suggest you'd prefer the latter.

NewChief
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I will say that after watching the performances last night (first time I've caught this season), I believe the talent level is far worse than last year. I remember last year being pretty impressed from the first show with numerous singers, specifically the stage presence of quite a few. These people aren't nearly as good on stage, and some of them are straight-up awkward.

Simplex3
07-12-2006, 01:03 PM
I will say that after watching the performances last night (first time I've caught this season), I believe the talent level is far worse than last year. I remember last year being pretty impressed from the first show with numerous singers, specifically the stage presence of quite a few. These people aren't nearly as good on stage, and some of them are straight-up awkward.
I noticed that, too. The more I think about it, though, the more I think I'm not remembering the beginning of last year's show that well. They were pretty choppy, too. I think they're going to improve as they start to get some direction.

Nightwish
07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
During last season, several of the contestants downright sucked at the beginning of the season, only to improve dramatically as the season progressed. At the beginning of the season, Marty was one of the worst singers I had ever heard, and he ended up in the final two.

htismaqe
07-12-2006, 02:19 PM
With or without the show, whoever they chose as a lead singer would get a measure of success and recognition just by association with the fame already enjoyed by the other three. So they've found a new and fun way to audition new singers. So what? Would you rather they give a newcomer a shot at working with famous musicians like these, or would you have prefered that they pull some has been out of the archives, dust 'em off, and prop 'em up on stage? Joe Lynn Turner sings for his 325th band! Your criticism seems to suggest you'd prefer the latter.

Joe Lynn Turner SUCKS! Saw him live, singing for Malmsteen in like 1987...

htismaqe
07-12-2006, 02:22 PM
The thing that got me was that chagrin's whole post is just about flat out opposite of the truth...

Q-What is the definition of a "good" singer and do you have to be one to succeed in rock and roll?

A-I don't know. Ask Lemmy, or Brian Johnson from AC/DC, or Mick Jagger.

Q-Who is the "real talent out there selling records without benefit of the machine?"

A-I don't know. Kelly Clarkson? Shakira? Nickelback?

listopencil
07-12-2006, 05:33 PM
i love ring of fire and that was the shit! awesome rendition and performance

I wish I had heard that. I only got to watch the episode off and on last night but everything I heard sucked horribly.

Nightwish
07-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Joe Lynn Turner SUCKS! Saw him live, singing for Malmsteen in like 1987...
Me too. Kemper Arena, opening for Triumph. Was that the same show you saw? I don't remember if that was '87 or not, but it was in the late 80s.

Over-Head
07-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Even the drummer and bass players. :) :thumb: LMFAO

Over-Head
07-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Just in!!
Super Nova tv show being sued by SoCal band "supernova" who have 4 singles and 3 albums out since mid 90's.

(Source is K-Rock, heard it last night on the big tom show, and again just now)
Seems the band has been using the name and hitting the club scene for quite some time now, and is suing the show, and band members (Tommy, Gilby, and Jason) for name use infringement.

Must say, the boy’s were swmart to wait till 4 episodes were aried befor the started with the law suit.

I mean face it, someone screwed up by not doing a name trace.
Yeah there’s lot’s of ways to get around it
IE: Change the way the name is printed like, Super No Va, Supernova, SuperNovaa, or something like that.
My guess is the guy’s will settle out of court for about a million each(awarded to the guy’s who originally had the name).
Guess these "uptight bitchie millionaire rock star’s have equally dumb lawyers

headsnap
07-13-2006, 06:08 AM
we have to be able to move 4 body parts independently of each other at varying time intervals and signatures. WITHOUT letting the band slip out of time.

that's sounds like the definition of a circus freak!!!

MOhillbilly
07-13-2006, 07:08 AM
caught a few minutes of the bottom 3 preforming, wasnt impressed. Maybe its cause they were the bottom 3 but it sure didnt tweak my intrest(other than BB) enough to care to watch it again.

Over-Head
07-13-2006, 02:35 PM
that's sounds like the definition of a circus freak!!!circus freak = Ra!ders fan, come on now, does it really come as much of a surprise?? :p

teedubya
07-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Dilana is gonna win this thing... unreal.

Cranberries- Zombie
http://www.timecheeze.com/media/get_link.php?i=297&e=e18e2a544b104b86f8d4d439805aa07c
Johnny Cash Ring of Fire
http://www.timecheeze.com/media/get_link.php?i=14&e=b6132aba55c84662debf1686154c8bd4

RedandGold
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Dilana is gonna win this thing... unreal.

Cranberries- Zombie
http://www.timecheeze.com/media/get_link.php?i=297&e=e18e2a544b104b86f8d4d439805aa07c
Johnny Cash Ring of Fire
http://www.timecheeze.com/media/get_link.php?i=14&e=b6132aba55c84662debf1686154c8bd4

I REALLY hope you are kidding.

She sounds like some 4-pack-a-day 50-something bar skank on karaoke night. That rendition of Ring of Fire was flat out awful.

teedubya
07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
this is the one I meant to post...

They love her...

http://theync.com/l070706nova.shtml

DaneMcCloud
07-20-2006, 10:12 PM

What? That's just plain uninformed. While the guys in the house band are good players (and nice guys, too), THEY AREN'T ROCKSTARS. Some of them our touring musicians, but there's a BIG difference between being a decent player covering classic songs and ACTUALLY WRITING AND RECORDING SUCCESSFUL ORIGINAL SONGS.

As far as Tommy Lee being mentioned first, he the executive producer of the show and actually pitched the idea to Mark Burnett. He got Butch Walker to sign on as the producer of the record (Butch did Tommy's last solo record, Tommyland the Ride) and brought in the other players. I think all of that makes him more than capable being the main guy.

As poor as some of the choices have been, this group of singers is lightyears ahead of last year's contestants at this point in the show. It wasn't until there were are 6 or 7 last singers that they all started getting better. It'll happen with these singers, too. There's nothing better than watching your own performance and seeing your own mistakes. These people are hungry for success and they'll just get better each week with the exception of Ryan Star & Zayra. There's no hope for those two.

NewChief
07-22-2006, 01:29 PM
BTW, Storm Large has some very nice pictures up on the web. My wife and I looked her up after Tommy said, "I've gotta see more of you." and she replied, "Six letters for you, Tommy. Google."

Anyway, here's excerpts from a photography book featuring here. There is some NSFW in it:
http://www.domela.com/photos_people/projects_storm/010_s01.htm

htismaqe
07-28-2006, 05:27 AM
I finally pulled last week's and this week's episodes off of the DVR and watched them last night.

All I can say is - JOKE.

The fact that they continue to keep Zayra is just laughable. It wasn't as big a deal before, because they were letting equally untalented people go. But to let Phil go instead of her is just stupid. They let Phil go because they didn't feel he was taking it seriously. Well, I question whether or not the BAND is taking this seriously.

DaKCMan AP
07-28-2006, 08:15 AM
I didn't think Phil was good enough to win. He sounded good on the really hard songs that he did, but was terrible (IMO) on everything else. Completely one-dimensional.

The way I look at it is, neither Phil nor Zayra will win. But I'd rather look at Zayra for another week than Phil.

DaKCMan AP
07-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Btw, I still think the crazy looking chick from (I think) South Africa is the best. Also, Storm Large was great and deserved the encore.

htismaqe
07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Despite his arrogance, I still think Lukas is the best fit.

Over-Head
07-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I can’t get over Gilby being a "prude" about the blond cozzing up to her on stage.Maybe he dreams of the days Axl will be back in front wearing short spandex sorts with a pair of socks stuffed in them, and little more (refer to the UYI dvd’s)

Deberg_1990
07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I can’t get over Gilby being a "prude" about the blond cozzing up to her on stage.Maybe he dreams of the days Axl will be back in front wearing short spandex sorts with a pair of socks stuffed in them, and little more (refer to the UYI dvd’s)

Yea, i thought the same thing. Gilby needed to lighten up a bit on her. She wasnt that bad.

Deberg_1990
07-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Despite his arrogance, I still think Lukas is the best fit.

Really?? I think the guy is good, but for me he just doesnt seem to be a very good fit for this band. I still like the Australian guy the best.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Really?? I think the guy is good, but for me he just doesnt seem to be a very good fit for this band. I still like the Australian guy the best.

To me, he's the best fit for the band.

All the other guys, including the Aussie seem kinda "fem", like they all wanna strap on acoustic guitars and be Goo Goo Dolls...

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Yea, i thought the same thing. Gilby needed to lighten up a bit on her. She wasnt that bad.

See I thought Gilby had a good point actually. He wanted to see her other merits other than her sexuality. Like he said, when he was in Heart, the Wilson sisters never saw the need to grind on him because they were good singers.

The problem is that TODAY'S female stars are just about 100% predicated on sexuality.

It just goes to show that a woman stands no chance of winning this competition. There's the first problem I already mentioned. And there's the issue that no woman would be able to get serious about music with Tommy Lee wanting to **** her all the time.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
freaky dude with the black finger nails and makeup might just be a plant.

he's the guy that's gonna win from the very start ... the rest of the show is for free PR and $$ imo.

i don't think there is any way they pick a girl ... and most the guys just suck.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 11:23 AM
freaky dude with the black finger nails and makeup might just be a plant.

he's the guy that's gonna win from the very start ... the rest of the show is for free PR and $$ imo.

i don't think there is any way they pick a girl ... and most the guys just suck.

The freaky dude with the black finger nails is Lukas, and yes, I think he's going to win.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 11:30 AM
The freaky dude with the black finger nails is Lukas, and yes, I think he's going to win.

do you think the band knew that he was the guy from the very start?

i mean you gotta a little nervous if you putting your band up for "auction" unless you knew there was someone there that you could live with if all the rest sucked.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 11:48 AM
do you think the band knew that he was the guy from the very start?

i mean you gotta a little nervous if you putting your band up for "auction" unless you knew there was someone there that you could live with if all the rest sucked.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have a couple of people "pre-picked" if you will, just in case the voting public forcefully eliminates the person they want.

In this case, I think Lukas has the inside track and Dalana would be the next, even though she's a woman.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2006, 04:29 PM
See I thought Gilby had a good point actually. He wanted to see her other merits other than her sexuality. Like he said, when he was in Heart, the Wilson sisters never saw the need to grind on him because they were good singers.

The problem is that TODAY'S female stars are just about 100% predicated on sexuality.

It just goes to show that a woman stands no chance of winning this competition. There's the first problem I already mentioned. And there's the issue that no woman would be able to get serious about music with Tommy Lee wanting to **** her all the time.

Yea i agree...thats what i like about that Delana chick. Shes not very sexy at all (at least to me) but its her talent that really stands out. Shes very good.

Over-Head
07-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Yea i agree...thats what i like about that Delana chick. Shes not very sexy at all (at least to me) but its her talent that really stands out. Shes very good. Agreed.

htismaqe][/size]It wouldn't surprise me if they have a couple of people "pre-picked" if you will.

IMO
Storm is just eye candy with a wicked voice.
Lucas is a plant
Delana is a plant

Over-Head
07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
See I thought Gilby had a good point actually. He wanted to see her other merits other than her sexuality.

Yes, BUT so did she.
take a look at who Dave used to play for. A man who hit the stage with nothing more than a tube sock on his pecker.
And Gilby spent half his time swans shirt on stage with GnR while Axl ran around in spandex shorts.
Not to mention Tommy who favors shorts/shoes and tattoo's while playing

She was right. It's a double standard.
And really, the crowd loved it, and KNEW it was coming.

NewChief
07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Lucas has the inside track as well in that he's very current. He's sort of merging the emo/screamo thing (which is actually played out, but whatever) with the general genre that Supernova seems to be going for. Just like with INXS and Marty (who was the best from that show), they need someone who has their finger on the pulse of today's music. I believe that's why Marty got as far as he did, and I think that's why Lukas will win it all. He's current, unique, and actually gives them a little edge, whereas the rest of the people might as well be singing karaoke or in cover bands (not that there's anything wrong with cover bands).

htismaqe
08-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Yes, BUT so did she.
take a look at who Dave used to play for. A man who hit the stage with nothing more than a tube sock on his pecker.
And Gilby spent half his time swans shirt on stage with GnR while Axl ran around in spandex shorts.
Not to mention Tommy who favors shorts/shoes and tattoo's while playing

She was right. It's a double standard.
And really, the crowd loved it, and KNEW it was coming.

But that's the problem. Like Dave said to the chick who asked him if he ever changed things up, this isn't a PERFORMANCE, it's an AUDITION.

KcMizzou
08-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Ryan just kicked ass on "Losing my Religion". I thought maybe they'd mention that singing and playing piano doesn't tell them how he'd be as a frontman for their band.

I think he did so well, they just forgot all about about it.

Tommy Lee: "One more thing... That performance will get you laid."

ROFL

KcMizzou
08-01-2006, 07:57 PM
This is only the 3rd episode of this show I've seen. Thanks for the heads-up. It's pretty damned entertaining. I guess it's because the music's more my style. I can't stand American Idol.

DaKCMan AP
08-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Ryan will get the encore.

Deberg_1990
08-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Ryan will get the encore.

I cant stand that guy. He always has the same face during his performances. Its weird..hes got this evil scowl face thing goin on. Dude never looks happy.

DaneMcCloud
08-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Sorry I haven't had much "Inside Info" this year guys. My wife has only attended about every other taping (she was stage left on Tuesday night's show, dark-skinned Asian if you have Tivo). And my other source is busy readying a new show for VH-1 Reality TV, so he's been unable to get any info because of that (FWIW, that show's about a very successful Rap Producer/Composer who just beat the Feds in a court case). I can't tell you the "star" of the series name unless the show isn't picked up).

But the only reason they're keeping Zayra around is for ratings. The producers like her looks and her "what will she screw up next" vibe. The other singers in the house absolutely despise her. The reason that Phil went home is that he slagged the Supernova music in a press interview, saying the only reason he was doing this was to get exposure for himself and his band back home, and that he thought Supernova "sucked". That got back to the producers of the show very quickly and he was axed. I thought the bobblehead sucked and he looked like he was singing in front of a mirror instead of an audience on most nights.

As far as Lukas being a "plant", that's a no go. There were several singers that auditioned for Supernova that aren't on the show because of the contract that they were all had to sign to appear. I also thought that Lukas was a lock but much like last year, everyone's stage performances are improving rapidly (there's nothing better than watching yourself and learning from film/video) and Ryan's been very impressive as of late.

The true separation will come this week, after each singer is given Supernova song to write lyrics, melodies, then track in the studio. If you'll recall last year, it look like Mig had it wrapped up with his performances until JD stole the show by writing his own lyrics and melodies to Pretty Vegas, essentially landing him the gig. BTW, INXS has grossed more than 14 million on the road this year.

And finally, Supernova is not a real band. Tommy Lee is the Executive Producer of the show but has little to do with the band after that. He hired Butch Walker, a great songwriter/producer to write and record for the band, Jason Newstead (because of his name) to play bass and the only real songwriter in guitarist Gilby Clarke. Everyone is pushing their own agenda here - Tommy's making dough and is on primetime television for the second straight summer, Jason's pushing Voivod (with the T-shirts and name dropping) and Gilby is trying to make a name for himself outside of being a sideman to GNR and others. Navarro's pushing his band too, The Panic Channel. Their record comes out in a few weeks, so there will be quite a few nods to them as well.

The show that's aired on Tuesday night is actually filmed on Sunday afternoon. If I have time (and remember), I'll post some interesting stuff about what happens each Sunday that my wife attends.

htismaqe
08-05-2006, 04:34 AM
But the only reason they're keeping Zayra around is for ratings. The producers like her looks and her "what will she screw up next" vibe. The other singers in the house absolutely despise her.

Typical Burnett.

The reason that Phil went home is that he slagged the Supernova music in a press interview, saying the only reason he was doing this was to get exposure for himself and his band back home, and that he thought Supernova "sucked".

Awesome! Good for Phil! Mission accomplished.

The true separation will come this week, after each singer is given Supernova song to write lyrics, melodies, then track in the studio. If you'll recall last year, it look like Mig had it wrapped up with his performances until JD stole the show by writing his own lyrics and melodies to Pretty Vegas, essentially landing him the gig. BTW, INXS has grossed more than 14 million on the road this year.

JD was the guy from the get go last year. All "Pretty Vegas" did was seal it.

And finally, Supernova is not a real band. Tommy Lee is the Executive Producer of the show but has little to do with the band after that. He hired Butch Walker, a great songwriter/producer to write and record for the band, Jason Newstead (because of his name) to play bass and the only real songwriter in guitarist Gilby Clarke. Everyone is pushing their own agenda here - Tommy's making dough and is on primetime television for the second straight summer, Jason's pushing Voivod (with the T-shirts and name dropping) and Gilby is trying to make a name for himself outside of being a sideman to GNR and others. Navarro's pushing his band too, The Panic Channel. Their record comes out in a few weeks, so there will be quite a few nods to them as well.

I kinda figured they were "made for TV". Dave has always pimped his own thing, but Jason has worn Voivod t-shirts 3 times now, which says to me that's what he WANTS to do.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Sorry I haven't had much "Inside Info" this year guys. My wife has only attended about every other taping (she was stage left on Tuesday night's show, dark-skinned Asian if you have Tivo). And my other source is busy readying a new show for VH-1 Reality TV, so he's been unable to get any info because of that (FWIW, that show's about a very successful Rap Producer/Composer who just beat the Feds in a court case). I can't tell you the "star" of the series name unless the show isn't picked up).

But the only reason they're keeping Zayra around is for ratings. The producers like her looks and her "what will she screw up next" vibe. The other singers in the house absolutely despise her. The reason that Phil went home is that he slagged the Supernova music in a press interview, saying the only reason he was doing this was to get exposure for himself and his band back home, and that he thought Supernova "sucked". That got back to the producers of the show very quickly and he was axed. I thought the bobblehead sucked and he looked like he was singing in front of a mirror instead of an audience on most nights.

As far as Lukas being a "plant", that's a no go. There were several singers that auditioned for Supernova that aren't on the show because of the contract that they were all had to sign to appear. I also thought that Lukas was a lock but much like last year, everyone's stage performances are improving rapidly (there's nothing better than watching yourself and learning from film/video) and Ryan's been very impressive as of late.

The show that's aired on Tuesday night is actually filmed on Sunday afternoon. If I have time (and remember), I'll post some interesting stuff about what happens each Sunday that my wife attends.

Thanks for the great update Dane. The only thing i dont like about the show is you can tell its HEAVILY edited. Sometimes very poorly. Id love to see an unedited version.

Mr. Laz
08-05-2006, 10:08 AM
lukas sucked the other day ... i was shocked.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the great update Dane. The only thing i dont like about the show is you can tell its HEAVILY edited. Sometimes very poorly. Id love to see an unedited version.

I've never been to a taping because I'm just not that into it, but my wife and a few of her friends try to go as often as possible. And you're dead on correct - they edit the comments, big time. Sometimes, they'll go on for as long as 10 minutes after each performance and it can get pretty nasty. The fights between Jill & the guys have been really bad, especially after she played with Gilby (he doesn't like her at all). Dave Narravo's comments were edited out after she sang the the Hole song a while back while dressed just like Courtney Love though claiming it was her own thing. He really slammed her.

I really thought that Jill was the next to go, especially since she's openly argued with the band members. But I guess that's more controversial than Dana getting a stupid Treble Clef tattoo, therefore worth more TV time. :rolleyes:

I'll post after tomorrow's show if the wife attends. Oh, and Brooke Burke is pregnant with David Charvet's baby. Hopefully she'll be in shape for next summer's version of Rockstar.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
I've never been to a taping because I'm just not that into it, but my wife and a few of her friends try to go as often as possible. And you're dead on correct - they edit the comments, big time. Sometimes, they'll go on for as long as 10 minutes after each performance and it can get pretty nasty. The fights between Jill & the guys have been really bad, especially after she played with Gilby (he doesn't like her at all). Dave Narravo's comments were edited out after she sang the the Hole song a while back while dressed just like Courtney Love though claiming it was her own thing. He really slammed her.

I really thought that Jill was the next to go, especially since she's openly argued with the band members. But I guess that's more controversial than Dana getting a stupid Treble Clef tattoo, therefore worth more TV time. :rolleyes:

I'll post after tomorrow's show if the wife attends. Oh, and Brooke Burke is pregnant with David Charvet's baby. Hopefully she'll be in shape for next summer's version of Rockstar.

Any updates Dane if your wife went?? I think Brooke Burke has looked pretty damn good this year, except for some of the outfits she has worn.

DaneMcCloud
08-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Update on Sunday's taping. I don't want to give too much away, so I haven't listed the songs:

Jill was boring

Zayra had another "crazy" outfit

Magni was great - sang and played acoustic guitar without any backing

Toby was really good, but the Panel wasn't as enthusiastic about his performance as the crowd.

Lukas stole the show and got a standing ovation from everyone.

Ryan kicked ass again.

Overall, the show was disorganized and the taping took 3 hours and 45 minutes. There will be a lot of editing but most of the performances were good (except Jill & Zayra). I must add that my wife likes Patrice, who I think is totally boring and sings exactly the same way no matter what the song calls for, so we'd probably disagree that she had a good performance.

That's it for now. If she remembers anything else of real significance, I'll post.

FWIW, Dilana is killing me. I had to show a friend the last few episodes last night that I had Tivo. Her look is cool but she has no range and voice is beginning to grate on me. I don't think I could listen to her for an hour straight.

Mr. Laz
08-08-2006, 07:28 PM
i'd do zayra ... but i don't wanna hear her sing.

Deberg_1990
08-08-2006, 07:39 PM
i'd do zayra ... but i don't wanna hear her sing.

Exactly why they keep her around..... Ratings.....

She sucks.

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2006, 10:19 AM
If anyone needed further proof that Supernova is a made-for-TV band, here's a quote from Newstead:

MP3.com: [To Jason] Do you consider this your priority, working with VOIVOD?

Jason Newsted: "Well, VOIVOD is the band that I'm a member of. I'm doing the SUPERNOVA project on television and stuff. I plan on following that through with whatever the demands are for it, from me. If it ends up touring and all these things that SUPERNOVA [has] planned, that's great. I'll get out and do what I've said I would, for that. But VOIVOD is always number one because that's just that way it is.

As for the cutdown show, I was glad to see New Jersey Jill go home, but I thought that Josh did a great job in his final performance, even though he was completely awful on Tuesday night. It really blew me away that he could sound so much like Paul Rogers.

How Ryan landed in the bottom three is beyone me. I think that if Supernova wants to be a real band, it seems that Ryan and Magni are the most talented individuals and one of them would be the choice. If they're going for a flash-in-the-pan, then Lukas, Dilana or maybe even Storm could get the gig. But Ryan has really blown me away with his improved stage and vocal performance, his musicianship (piano and guitar) and his attitude. He may not be the coolest looking guy but as for being a true musician and singer, he's got it hands down.

As a side note: My wife and I have a party to attend on Sunday so she (unfortunately) won't be attending the show. She's pretty bummed about it, but she'll be there the following week.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
i dont know whats worse, the singers or the fairy half a momo judges.

Deberg_1990
09-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Just as i predicted after the 1st show....May man Toby is gonna win it all. Hes been on a HUGE roll lately.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 05:12 AM
Just as i predicted after the 1st show....May man Toby is gonna win it all. Hes been on a HUGE roll lately.

We'll see.

I predicted Lukas would win and I stand by it.

This season is playing out almost exactly like last season...

Simplex3
09-10-2006, 05:20 AM
I'd actually be Ok with Lukas winning. From what I've heard of the Supernova songs I will have no interrest in listening, so if they'd pick the worst person left that would be fine by me.

I'm not sure what anyone sees in Lukas. The guy is a one trick fairy, uhm, I mean, pony.

Anyone that actually wants the band to succeed and have any longevity should want Toby to win. That guy has it all, and unlike Magni he's single enough to be around Tommy Lee and not get divorced.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 05:24 AM
I'd actually be Ok with Lukas winning. From what I've heard of the Supernova songs I will have no interrest in listening, so if they'd pick the worst person left that would be fine by me.

I'm not sure what anyone sees in Lukas. The guy is a one trick fairy, uhm, I mean, pony.

Anyone that actually wants the band to succeed and have any longevity should want Toby to win. That guy has it all, and unlike Magni he's single enough to be around Tommy Lee and not get divorced.

It's funny that you call Lukas a one-trick pony and in the next sentence suggest that Toby is the key to longevity and success...

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 05:25 AM
And yes, so far every one of the "Supernova" originals have sucked...

Simplex3
09-10-2006, 05:31 AM
It's funny that you call Lukas a one-trick pony and in the next sentence suggest that Toby is the key to longevity and success...
Other than standing with his back to the audience and standing with his hips out to the left side of the mic what has Lukas done? I guess that DOES make him a two trick pony.

IMO people get into Lukas the same way they got into that fat guy that won America Idol a few years ago. Sure, everyone cheers and votes, but they won't buy the album. It's all sympathy, which they'll give away when it's free. When it's going to cost them $18 for the CD and $70 for the concert ticket that will be a whole different story.

Of the people left I think Toby has the best personality fit for the band. HOWEVER, I don't think "the band" is anything past a money grab, so I don't think it's going to matter much either way. Rock fans *tend* to be able to sniff out crap laid down just to make a buck and I don't think these guys appeal enough to the pop crowd, especially with Lukas fronting them.

htismaqe
09-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Other than standing with his back to the audience and standing with his hips out to the left side of the mic what has Lukas done? I guess that DOES make him a two trick pony.

IMO people get into Lukas the same way they got into that fat guy that won America Idol a few years ago. Sure, everyone cheers and votes, but they won't buy the album. It's all sympathy, which they'll give away when it's free. When it's going to cost them $18 for the CD and $70 for the concert ticket that will be a whole different story.

Of the people left I think Toby has the best personality fit for the band. HOWEVER, I don't think "the band" is anything past a money grab, so I don't think it's going to matter much either way. Rock fans *tend* to be able to sniff out crap laid down just to make a buck and I don't think these guys appeal enough to the pop crowd, especially with Lukas fronting them.

You finally hit on it in the last paragraph.

This is a short-term money grab, a made-for-TV band.

I got into Lukas because he's REAL. So he turns his back to the audience on occasion. Lot's of people do that. He's got stage presence to go, beyond what anybody else in the competition had. And his original song was far and away the best amongst the group.

Toby is your basic frat-boy Friday night party guy. You're right, he's the best fit for this...because he's got no long-term appeal whatsoever.

Deberg_1990
09-10-2006, 08:27 AM
I agree, its probably just a short term money grab. Yes, most of the orginal Supernova songs did suck. There was only one i liked. Lukas probably has the most overall talent, but Tobey is the "best fit" for tis group. Plus, he brings in the most sex appeal, so that has to be something the band has to seriously consider if they want to sell.

NewChief
09-10-2006, 08:49 PM

What you're missing about Lukas is that he has his finger into the whole emo/screamo crap that's commercially huge right now in rock among the teenagers. Much like Marty (who was also very cutting edge), Lukas is way more progressive and "hip" than anyone else on the show. That being said, Supernova will probably make the safe call just like INXS did and go with the good looking dork. The aussie sucks. Sorry.

Simplex3
09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
What you're missing about Lukas is that he has his finger into the whole emo/screamo crap that's commercially huge right now in rock among the teenagers....
Ahh, I keep forgetting about that s**t genre. I don't think it would help the band, though. Their music is too far removed from that emo puke. Besides, there is proof that Tommy Lee has gotten laid (by a girl), that isn't something those emo wussies can relate to.

NewChief
09-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Ahh, I keep forgetting about that s**t genre. I don't think it would help the band, though. Their music is too far removed from that emo puke. Besides, there is proof that Tommy Lee has gotten laid (by a girl), that isn't something those emo wussies can relate to.

Heh. One of my the interns at my school wore a shirt last casual Friday that said, "Shakespeare hates your emo poetry."

KcMizzou
09-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Most of the kids I know use the term "emo" as an insult.

chop
09-10-2006, 10:12 PM
I wasn't sure what it meant either so I looked it up and this is what I found:

Emo is a subgenre of hardcore punk music. Since its inception, emo has come to describe several independent variations, linked loosely but with common ancestry. As such, use of the term (and which musicians should be so classified) has been the subject of much debate.

In its original incarnation, the term emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s Washington, DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it. The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and strongly emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and, slightly later, Moss Icon. The first wave of emo began to fade after the breakups of most of the involved bands in the early 1990s.

Starting in the mid-1990s, the term emo began to reflect the indie scene that followed the influences of Fugazi, which itself was an offshoot of the first wave of emo. Bands including Sunny Day Real Estate and Texas Is the Reason put forth a more indie rock style of emo, more melodic and less chaotic in nature than its predecessor. The so-called "indie emo" scene survived until the late 1990s, as many of the bands either disbanded or shifted to mainstream styles.

As the remaining indie emo bands entered the mainstream, newer bands began to emulate the more mainstream style, creating a style of music that has now earned the moniker emo within popular culture. Whereas, even in the past, the term emo was used to identify a wide variety of bands, the breadth of bands listed under today's emo is even more vast, leaving the term "emo" as more of a loose identifier than as a specific genre of music.

Pitt Gorilla
09-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Emo=Coheed and Cambria.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2006, 12:47 AM
My wife went to today's taping. It was long and very, very weird. Suzi McNeil from last year's show was there and sang a few songs. They also gave away another Honda Element (this time, to a singer who'd been cut previously!). The taping lasted over 4 hours and she was beat when it was over.

Each singer did a cover and an original. Dilana "redeemed' herself my wife's opinion, doing a stripped down version of "Roxanne". She was so tired from being on her feet for 4 hours straight (in the front row in heels) that she wasn't able to tell me too much more before going out to dinner and drinks tonight.

I'll post more tomorrow but she will be going to the Finale, which is taped Wednesday morning at like 9am . So I should know the winner by around 3pm CST, if anyone wants to PM me.

Simplex3
09-11-2006, 05:49 AM
She was so tired from being on her feet for 4 hours straight (in the front row in heels) that she wasn't able to tell me too much more before going out to dinner and drinks tonight.
Did you read this, Dane? You've just been played, son.

Simplex3
09-11-2006, 05:50 AM
...emo was used to describe the music of the mid-1980s Washington, DC scene and its associated bands. In later years, the term emocore, short for "emotional hardcore", was also used to describe the DC scene and some of the regional scenes that spawned from it.
We should have guessed it would be DC or San Fran.

The term emo was derived from the fact that, on occasion, members of a band would become spontaneously and strongly emotional during performances. The most recognizable names of the period included Rites of Spring, Embrace, One Last Wish, Beefeater, Gray Matter, Fire Party, and, slightly later, Moss Icon.
Now THOSE are some queer band names if I ever heard one. LMAO

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Lukas is not emo. That's absurd.

NewChief
09-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Lukas is not emo. That's absurd.

Painted black fingernails, heavy eye makeup, weird dye job on his hair and the whole screamo growling voice... he's extremely emo/screamo. His original that he did was completely emo, right down to the tortured angsty subject of how messed up his mother was.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Painted black fingernails, heavy eye makeup, weird dye job on his hair and the whole screamo growling voice... he's extremely emo/screamo. His original that he did was completely emo, right down to the tortured angsty subject of how messed up his mother was.

1) The original song was emo right down to the fact that it COMPLETELY LACKED any element of punk.

2) I find it funny how extremely fashion-concious the punk scene has become. So much for being an "anti" movement...

NewChief
09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
1) The original song was emo right down to the fact that it COMPLETELY LACKED any element of punk.

2) I find it funny how extremely fashion-concious the punk scene has become. So much for being an "anti" movement...

Absolutely agree on the 2nd point. Punk and emo are now more about the look and conformity to that look than anything else. I also don't think that there has to be any "punk" in the music to be emo. The emo umbrella now seems to cover bands all over the place from Fallout Boy to Taking Back Sunday to Atreyu to Dashboard Confessional. It's weird to me because it's really become a meaningless term when labeling the actual music played. It seems to be more about a look now than the music itself.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Absolutely agree on the 2nd point. Punk and emo are now more about the look and conformity to that look than anything else. I also don't think that there has to be any "punk" in the music to be emo. The emo umbrella now seems to cover bands all over the place from Fallout Boy to Taking Back Sunday to Atreyu to Dashboard Confessional. It's weird to me because it's really become a meaningless term when labeling the actual music played. It seems to be more about a look now than the music itself.

That's why I said it's "absurd".

Not so much because he doesn't display some of those things you said, but rather because the term "emo" is so incredibly over-used nowadays.

We go through this shit in cycles. Every era of true innovation spawns an associated era of posers. Pretty soon another innovator will come along and kill the fashion bands, much the same way Nirvana did in the early 90's.

DaneMcCloud
09-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Did you read this, Dane? You've just been played, son.

It was late when I posted so maybe my wording wasn't clear, but WE went out to dinner together. I had a younger brother in town and it wasn't a topic of discussion. Once we returned home, she pretty much crashed out from our long weekend anyway so I'll find out more this evening, if it even comes up.

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
That's why I said it's "absurd".

Not so much because he doesn't display some of those things you said, but rather because the term "emo" is so incredibly over-used nowadays.

We go through this shit in cycles. Every era of true innovation spawns an associated era of posers. Pretty soon another innovator will come along and kill the fashion bands, much the same way Nirvana did in the early 90's.I thought System of a Down would blow up a lot of the current crap. They didn't.

htismaqe
09-11-2006, 02:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tJl-6cY5Sg

This is a good example of why I like Lukas. This is an early version of his original song "Headspin" played with one of his other bands, Rise Electric. I think I like it because it's musically very similar to some of the things we were writing in my last band...

Also, apparently the guy is already a professional musician, having done commercials and tracks for cartoons...

Simplex3
09-11-2006, 06:23 PM
It was late when I posted so maybe my wording wasn't clear, but WE went out to dinner together. I had a younger brother in town and it wasn't a topic of discussion. Once we returned home, she pretty much crashed out from our long weekend anyway so I'll find out more this evening, if it even comes up.
LMAO ...that makes a LOT more sense. When you posted that I was thinking "WTF? So tired she couldn't chat with her husband before going out to party again?"

DaneMcCloud
09-13-2006, 12:26 PM
The Rockstar taping is complete. I know who won. PM me if you'd like to know beforehand.

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I watched part of it last night for the first time in weeks. That Lukas guy sucked. I thought the girl did okay, but I don't think the band will pick her in a million years.

Deberg_1990
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
The Rockstar taping is complete. I know who won. PM me if you'd like to know beforehand.

Id love to know Dane, but ill wait until tonight so im can be surprised. Any surprises???

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks Dane.

Anyone want to wager on who wins??

Deberg_1990
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks Dane.

Anyone want to wager on who wins??

Id take my man Toby for a Dollar!

Marcellus
09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I hate lucas!

DaKCMan AP
09-13-2006, 06:49 PM
lukas it is

Over-Head
09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
So here I am watching, and WAMMO!
Some kind of reception glitch see’s like 8 mins of dead screen on BOTH stations carrying the show, it comes back and Magni is MIA, Toby is just finishing a song, get’s the boot, etc.:mad:
Now I hope I can go through this thread and see what I missed.

Can someone tell me what Delana and Lucas sang?
And how did they ax Magni?

Over-Head
09-13-2006, 07:52 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15511900.htm

Court: No Supernova for 'Rock Star' band

SANDY COHEN

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - The band from the reality TV show "Rock Star: Supernova" cannot call itself Supernova when it takes its act on the road, a judge has ruled.A Southern California rock band that has called itself Supernova since 1991 and recorded three albums under the name sued CBS, the show's participants and Mark Burnett Productions in June claiming unfair competition and trademark infringement."Rock Star: Supernova," which began airing July 5, followed 15 contestants who aspired to become the lead singer of a new rock band that includes former Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted. The winner that was to be named on Wednesday's episode will tour with the band and appear on its album.United States District Court Judge John A. Houston issued a preliminary injunction Tuesday barring that band from performing, recording or selling music under the Supernova name pending the outcome of the lawsuit.Attorney John Mizhir, Jr., who represents the original Supernova, characterized the judge's order as "a major victory.""This is sweet justice," he said in a statement. "The band members have worked hard for the past 17 years to establish the name Supernova and they are entitled to continue to perform without any other parties - large or small - infringing on their rights."The order will not affect the production, broadcast or promotion of the TV series, said CBS spokesman Phil Gonzales.Gary Hecker, an attorney representing Mark Burnett Productions, told The Associated Press that the order "is not going to affect the band or the tour.""The case hasn't been decided on its merits," he said. "Mark Burnett Productions hasn't even begun the evidence collection process that it will be allowed to do."The next hearing on the matter is scheduled for Friday in San Diego.

Simplex3
09-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, money grab...errr.... Lucas it is. I just don't get it. When Lucas is on stage the audience stands there, when Toby and Delana were on stage the audience was jumping, clapping, singing, and generally seemed more into the show. I think they made a huge mistake, however I couldn't be more thrilled. I'm looking forward to Ryan, Toby, Magni, Storm, and Delana's albums. Lucas can whine out the puke Supernova tracks I've heard so far.

All in all another quality season, however. I must admit I've been suprised by the quality of the contestants they've put forth both seasons.

Nightwish
09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
In a way, I'm a bit disappointed, because I was really pulling for Magni and Dilanna (I was overjoyed, though, when they kicked off Ryan a couple shows back, as that dude sucked worse than anything I've ever heard!) On the other hand, the few Supernova tracks I've heard sucked horribly, and I'm kind of relieved that neither Magni or Dilanna are going to have to associated with whatever lambasting is bound to be in Supernova's future. I can see Tommy Lee playing that tripe, because his talent is pretty limited, and I've never followed Gilby Clarke enough to know if it is characteristic of him or not, but I can't believe Jason has signed on for that crap!

Having said that, I do look forward to hearing what comes of Dilanna, Magni and Toby in the future!

Mr. Laz
09-13-2006, 08:19 PM
they couldn't pay me to listen to that guy sing with his grunty voice for an hour.

yuck

Simplex3
09-13-2006, 08:21 PM
they couldn't pay me to listen to that guy sing with his grunty voice for an hour.

yuck
I know I just said it, but to me he isn't singing the song, he's whining the song. I hear enough whining from my two year old.

Nightwish
09-13-2006, 08:33 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/15511900.htm

Court: No Supernova for 'Rock Star' band

SANDY COHEN

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -The band from the reality TV show "Rock Star: Supernova" cannot call itself Supernova when it takes its act on the road, a judge has ruled.A Southern California rock band that has called itself Supernova since 1991 and recorded three albums under the name sued CBS, the show's participants and Mark Burnett Productions in June claiming unfair competition and trademark infringement."Rock Star: Supernova," which began airing July 5, followed 15 contestants who aspired to become the lead singer of a new rock band that includes former Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, former Guns N' Roses guitarist Gilby Clarke and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted. The winner that was to be named on Wednesday's episode will tour with the band and appear on its album.United States District Court Judge John A. Houston issued a preliminary injunction Tuesday barring that band from performing, recording or selling music under the Supernova name pending the outcome of the lawsuit.Attorney John Mizhir, Jr., who represents the original Supernova, characterized the judge's order as "a major victory.""This is sweet justice," he said in a statement. "The band members have worked hard for the past 17 years to establish the name Supernova and they are entitled to continue to perform without any other parties - large or small - infringing on their rights."The order will not affect the production, broadcast or promotion of the TV series, said CBS spokesman Phil Gonzales.Gary Hecker, an attorney representing Mark Burnett Productions, told The Associated Press that the order "is not going to affect the band or the tour.""The case hasn't been decided on its merits," he said. "Mark Burnett Productions hasn't even begun the evidence collection process that it will be allowed to do."The next hearing on the matter is scheduled for Friday in San Diego.
I have to make a comment about the bolded section above. Tommy Lee is not the "former" drummer for Motley Crue, he's still with them, and according to the banners hanging around town advertising their upcoming concert with Aerosmith, he's going to be touring with them this fall.

Chiefnj
09-13-2006, 08:44 PM
What has Gilbey Clarke ever done? Did he just tour with G&R when Izzy got fed up with Rose and quit?

I don't think any of the band that was formerly called Supernova are all that great. It seems like they rode someone elses coattails. Tommy's solo career has been a failure. Jason was stuck playing clubs with Flotsam and Jetsam before Metallica.

The losers of the show probably have a better shot at long term success.

RedandGold
09-13-2006, 08:49 PM

yuck

Of the ones that were left, I felt that Lucas was far and away the weakest of the group. Crappy image aside, he had the worst voice and definitely the worst on-stage presence. When he performed his original, "Headspin", you could barely understand anything he was attempting to sing.

Going into this week, I figured that either Toby or Magni would end up winning, but I guess that shows what I know.

Considering how bad the Supernova originals have been so far, adding Lukas to the mix is just going to make that crap sound that much worse.

RedandGold
09-13-2006, 08:58 PM
What has Gilbey Clarke ever done? Did he just tour with G&R when Izzy got fed up with Rose and quit?

I think he also played with Heart for a while, but I don't think he was ever anything special. He impresses me as being "some dude" a band could pick up and take on the road if needed.

For a guy that has been nothing more than a fill in with a couple of groups, he definitely has more of a prima donna attitude than he should.

chop
09-13-2006, 09:04 PM

yuck

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure you can call what he does singing. I thought Toby did a better job on the Supernova song. With that said, the Supernova song is terrible.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
WOW. I've kinda been hiding in the closet....:spock:

I've really enjoyed this show; I hate to admit it, almost. I mean, this is the first "reality" type TV show I've EVER been hooked into. It's kind of embarrassing....however, if nothing else SuperNova awakened me to the reality that I REALLY miss music. Marriage, kids, and a busy life have "stolen" music (and exercise...heh) from my previous life. God I miss music!

Anywho, TOBY should have won. LUCAS will be fine--and for this "group" I think he is a good choice. I mean, in a Pearl-Jam and Nirvanna sort of way...he'll be good. It's not my first choice, but it fits.

Dilanna and Toby will both do well otherwise; I thought both were incredibly talented....and had impressive "range." All three (Lucas, Toby, Dilanna) all had good stage presence by the last weeks.

Anyway, DON'T tell anyone in the Lounge....okay?

Thanks, guys.

That is all. :p

morphius
09-13-2006, 10:45 PM
This is also the only "reality" TV show I have watched, but mostly because I liked the music and the live band feeling of the show. I could tell Magni wasn't going to win, though he was one of my favorites. I actually figured it would come down to Toby and Lucas, as it was obvious that they were going out of their way to destroy Dilanna.

Neither the wife or I had any idea who Gilby Clarke was until I looked it up on the Internet. Not exactly a big name. And getting one of the guys from Metallica who I believe isn't normally part of the song writing process isn't very exciting. It is no wonder all of their originals sucked.

Lucas was one of my least favorite's, looked like he belonged in some sort of punk like band. His singing was pretty hard to listen to. But hey, with their original songs it really isn't gonna matter as I will not be listening anyway.

Deberg_1990
09-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Lucas was one of my least favorite's, looked like he belonged in some sort of punk like band. His singing was pretty hard to listen to. But hey, with their original songs it really isn't gonna matter as I will not be listening anyway.

Havent you heard. Lukas is EMO. Apparantly all the kids dig it these days. LOL

htismaqe
09-14-2006, 08:08 AM
I love it.

Lukas was FAR AND AWAY the best songwriter in the bunch.

And from the sounds of SuperNova's originals, they're gonna need it...

morphius
09-14-2006, 08:19 AM
Havent you heard. Lukas is EMO. Apparantly all the kids dig it these days. LOL
Yeah, I caught that somewhere on here, and just didn't care honestly. Never have been much into any of the punk genre's, hung out in HS with a lot of Punks and just never got the music.

I did dig Lucas's hair though. But that creepy closing the eyes all the damn thing bothered me a bit.