PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons suffers aneurysm

Bootlegged
06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Longtime ESPN Baseball analyst Peter Gammons suffered an aneurysm in his brain Tuesday morning near his home on Cape Cod, Mass. He was airlifted to a Boston hospital, where he is currently undergoing surgery.

AP
Gammons was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.
Gammons, 61, is probably the best-known baseball writer of his generation, first with the Boston Globe, beginning in 1969, then for Sports Illustrated, before joining ESPN in 1990.

In 2004, he was honored with J.G. Taylor Spink Award for outstanding baseball writing during the 2005 Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y. He was selected in balloting by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

He started his career as a reporter for the Boston Globe in 1969 and wrote a very popular weekly Sunday baseball column for many years. He has also worked for Sports Illustrated covering the National Hockey League, college basketball and Major League Baseball (1976-78, 1986-90).

In 1986, upon his return to Sports Illustrated as a senior writer following a second stay at the Globe, he wrote numerous stories covering some of baseball's most important news events, as well as authoring "Inside Baseball," Sports Illustrated's weekly baseball notebook.

Gammons primarily serves as a studio analyst for ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but he also does regular spots for SportsCenter, ESPNEWS and ESPN Radio and contributes to ESPN The Magazine. He is a columnist and writes a popular Weblog for ESPN.com.

Gammons is also the author of "Beyond the Sixth Game", a look at free agency.

Born April 9, 1945, Gammons is a native of Boston, raised in nearby Groton, Mass. He attended the University of North Carolina and is married to his wife, Gloria.

Frazod
06-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Gammons is only 61? Dude looks much older than that.

Hope he makes it to 62.

HemiEd
06-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Gammons is only 61? Dude looks much older than that.

Hope he makes it to 62.

yep, Hey Tim!

nychief
06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
The only reason I believe this is that it didn't come out of Gammons' mouth.

Chief Henry
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
Those things are bad bad bad. I've got one brother inlaw that is 48. He's been in a Nursing home with a feeding tube for the last 4-5 years.
He's a veg.

I have a brother that is leading a normal life after he had one about 13 years ago or so. But his temper is much shorter now and he has a bad memory. he tried killing himself with pills about 6 months after the aneuyrism. He works his regular job now. His wife is a SAINT for putting up with him. There oldest son gets married next weekend.

A very close firend from high school suffered one in college in Ames back around 1983. He recovered
fully but then had another one about 10 years ago.
He's NOT leading a normal life albeit he's living with his wife and two kids. He's not allowed to drive a car and has trouble remembering anything.

A 58 year old lady in our town just died two weeks ago from one of these.

Brain aneuyrisms are nasty.

Eleazar
06-27-2006, 06:41 PM
One of the best baseball minds out there, I hope he makes a quick recovery.

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 06:46 PM
One of the best baseball minds out there, I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Please tell me you're joking ?

Yellowbutter72
06-27-2006, 06:47 PM
My daughter's boyfriend had one right behind his eye, had the surgery and he is what they call a walking miracle. He works in a hospital so he was at the right place at the right time. He is doing great! I hope Peter does as well!

JBucc
06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
I hope he gets better but in all honesty ESPN would be better of without him.

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 06:57 PM

You could say that again. The dude is terrible. He may have had a great "baseball mind" 10 years ago, but he sucks something awful now. With that said, I do hope he recovers.

JimNasium
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Jesus guys, when he dies why don't you go tap-dance on his grave to make yourselves feel better?

58-4ever
06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
You could say that again. The dude is terrible. He may have had a great "baseball mind" 10 years ago, but he sucks something awful now. With that said, I do hope he recovers.

He is a bit bland, but I really like Peter Gammons. You can tell he is really passionate about baseball and he comes across as a genuinely good guy. I really hope he makes a full recovery.

I did, however, think he was older than that too.
:shrug:

Eleazar
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Jesus guys, when he dies why don't you go tap-dance on his grave to make yourselves feel better?

No kidding. Nothing but class around here.

He's been writing baseball since the 60s, is close to owners all around the league, has probably seen more baseball than all but a handful of people living on earth. I don't know if anybody could name a more qualified or knowledgable baseball writer out there.

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
He is a bit bland, but I really like Peter Gammons. You can tell he is really passionate about baseball and he comes across as a genuinely good guy. I really hope he makes a full recovery.

I did, however, think he was older than that too.
:shrug:

My dad is 55 and looks about 20 years younger than Gammons. I would've put him in his mid 70s easily

Genuine and passionate maybe, but his baseball knowledge has waned a bit over the years

JBucc
06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm sure he's a good writer and knows a lot about baseball, but he just isn't a good on air personality.

58-4ever
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
My dad is 55 and looks about 20 years younger than Gammons. I would've put him in his mid 70s easily

Genuine and passionate maybe, but his baseball knowledge has waned a bit over the years

How has his baseball knowledge waned?

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 07:11 PM

He's been writing baseball since the 60s, is close to owners all around the league, has probably seen more baseball than all but a handful of people living on earth. I don't know if anybody could name a more qualified or knowledgable baseball writer out there.

I sure don't want him to die. I hope he makes a full recovery. But IMO, the guy isnt' good for ESPN anymore. The point in which he starts babbling about some possible trade that 99.9% of the time never happens, is the point that I tune out of ESPN.

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
How has his baseball knowledge waned?

do you watch Baseball Tonight every evening? if you do, you would see that the guy has clearly lost a step in the last 5 years.

58-4ever
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
do you watch Baseball Tonight every evening? if you do, you would see that the guy has clearly lost a step in the last 5 years.

I'm not saying that he hasn't lost a step when it comes to doing a TV show, but his knowledge of the game is still there IMO. Well, maybe not anymore, but it was yesterday.

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
i used to like Peter quite a bit, but I think he needed to let it go a few years ago. however, I would much rather see Gammons than that Pedro Gomez goober who I believe stalks Barry Bonds full time

RockChalk
06-27-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm not saying that he hasn't lost a step when it comes to doing a TV show, but his knowledge of the game is still there IMO. Well, maybe not anymore, but it was yesterday.

ROFL

terrible. his knowledge may be there, but he can't locate it when he is speaking on tv anymore. maybe he should write a book?

Moooo
06-27-2006, 08:27 PM
How cool is it that he isn't dead right now... That's super dangerous, I think there's only something like 1 in 5 that actually don't die from an aneurysm.

Congrats to him for living through something sooo many don't...

Moooo

milkman
06-27-2006, 08:47 PM

Can you pay my air fare to Boston?

CHENZ A!
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
I think Gammons does a good job on baseball tonight, and also Harold Reynolds is good too, but since all they ever want to talk about are the ****in Yankees and Red Sox that show sucks ass. Not because of Gammons, in my opinion.

teedubya
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM

Thats a good idea. I may have to purchase a new pair of tap dancing shoes though. But I know the perfect song....

Moooo
06-27-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't get how a person who doesn't know another person personally, how these people can be happy when they hear of the other's misfortue. I don't get it.

As far as his job, He's okay. He's no HR, but he's okay.

Moooo

milkman
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I think Gammons does a good job on baseball tonight, and also Harold Reynolds is good too, but since all they ever want to talk about are the ****in Yankees and Red Sox that show sucks ass. Not because of Gammons, in my opinion.

That show would be a whole hell of a lot better if they talked about football.

Mecca
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I remember when he wore his sun adjusting glasses on set and the bright lights would make them dim so it looked like he was wearing sunglasses on the set..........I think he was starting to lose his mind before this.

big nasty kcnut
06-27-2006, 10:49 PM
i hope he recover too. i admired his passion for baseball it's like mine but he like the red sox and i'm a die hard royals fan.

chiefqueen
06-28-2006, 06:01 AM
I don't know if this is wishful thinking or inside info (hopefully the latter) but on Mike & Mike this morning Greeny said he should make a complete recovery & be able to resume his ESPN duties eventually.

He also said ESPN has received thousands of emails offer their bast wishes.

ImAWalkingCorpse
06-28-2006, 07:36 AM

Good post.

Mr. Kotter
06-28-2006, 07:39 AM
Tough break for a great baseball reporter. He almost makes baseball interesting.....

Best wishes to him and his family.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 08:08 AM
killed my dad in 95'.

bent over to pick up a napkin,got a dizzy spell. I took him home and he was dead within 2 hours.

Dave Lane
06-28-2006, 08:56 AM
This is interesting...

More recently, Gammons has dabbled in music and next week is scheduled to release his first CD, "Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old."

Dave

chiefqueen
06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure what this means because he is still in ICU but the latest update on ESPN.com states the hospital lists Gammons in good condition.

greg63
06-28-2006, 11:47 AM
...Hope he pulls through, and recovers.

CHENZ A!
06-28-2006, 02:19 PM
That show would be a whole hell of a lot better if they talked about football.

That would be NFL Live then, replace Salisbury or Young with Harold Reynolds? we might have something. :hmmm:

chiefqueen
07-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Latest update from Friday's Miami Herald,
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/15034771.htm

Peter Gammons, one of the best and most distinguished baseball reporters in history, remains in the intensive care unit of a Boston-area hospital after surgery for a brain aneurysm June 27. His wife, Gloria, told The Boston Globe that he's conscious, conversational and increasingly mobile.

On Thursday, ESPN's Jon Sciambi was one of several ESPN employees to receive an e-mail with additional information. The e-mail said Gammons will leave the hospital Monday and transfer to a rehabilitation center on Cape Cod, closer to his home. He will be doing primarily physical rehabilitation, such as improving strength. The e-mail also said, ``Doctors believe there has been no permanent damage to his brain and are optimistic he will make a full recovery.''

Besides his work as an ESPN commentator, Gammons had a weekly segment with Sciambi on 790 The Ticket.

''The day it happened, he was supposed to do the show,'' Sciambi said. It was out of character for Gammons not to call in that day. Then Sciambi heard the news.

It was a stunner not only for him, but for baseball fans everywhere who appreciate Gammons' passion for his job, work ethic and knack for breaking stories.