PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Solo Rock Artist Of All Times!!

FAX
06-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Peter Gabriel.

Just sayin'.

FAX

chop
06-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Based upon fan reaction and sales you can't argue with Elvis Presley.

FAX
06-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Based upon fan reaction and sales you can't argue with Elvis Presley.

True, very true. But, I'm not going by any of that, Mr. chop.

I'm going by musicianship and creativity with this bold selection.

FAX

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 08:45 AM
My personal favorite is Jerry Lee.

But yeah id say Elvis. They dont call him THE KING for nothin.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
True, very true. But, I'm not going by any of that, Mr. chop.

I'm going by musicianship and creativity with this bold selection.

FAX

OK then... Elton John

FAX
06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Jerry Lee is a very nice choice. But, like Elvis, falls short in the musicianship category.

It's understandable though, since he was hampered by alcohol and that incessant groin itch.

FAX

FAX
06-28-2006, 08:50 AM
OK then... Elton John

A true challenger there, Mr. MOhillbilly. Madman Across The Water was a breakthrough album in the day.

Pretty darn good choice there.

FAX

ZepSinger
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Hendrix has got to figure into the top 4 or 5...

Z

FAX
06-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Hendrix has got to figure into the top 4 or 5...

Z

Definately, Mr. ZepSinger. He might have made my list at 1 or 2 had his career been longer.

I read somewhere that he was considering cutting a fusion rock/jazz album just before he died. That would have been interesting.

FAX

HC_Chief
06-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Prince has to up in the top 5 IMO

Little Richard as well.

Bo Diddley.

Chuck Berry.

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 10:17 AM
David Bowie.

StcChief
06-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Elvis

David Bowie

Chuck Berry

James Brown

Peter Gabriel

Moooo
06-28-2006, 11:11 AM
No love for Eric Clapton...

Moooo

htismaqe
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM

Moooo

His best work wasn't as a solo artist, IMO.

FAX
06-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Any list should also include Kate Bush, I think.

She has the talent of 12 or so Bob Segers.

FAX

StcChief
06-28-2006, 12:18 PM

Moooo
Last few years work.

The Blues stuff
(From the Cradle)

BB.King/Eric Clapton (Riding with the king)

and covers of
Rrobert Johnson (Me and Mr.Johnson)

were good IMO. But I like the Blues.

Some of the commercial stuff not so much.

Reaper16
06-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Bowie

Nzoner
06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Pretty darn good choice there.

FAX

I have to disagree,although Elton is a phenomenal artist he's far from a solo act,without Bernie Taupin's lyrics he has nowhere near the fame he does.

Moooo
06-28-2006, 11:21 PM
OH I KNOW!!!

Lenny Kravi...you know what, I can't even say his name without it curling down on the end and getting that, "I just ate a lemon" look on it. Its not worth the joke...

Continue on

Moooo

Braincase
06-29-2006, 05:58 AM
What's the criteria for solo? Write their own songs? Play their own instruments?

If both, then I might be inclined towards Prince. Elvis didn't get credit for writing too many songs. Jimi died too damn young for me to say he was the GOAT.

Considering the complete body of work, variation in style, creativity...

...I'm going to hate myself for this...

What about Sting?

StcChief
06-29-2006, 06:17 AM
What's the criteria for solo? Write their own songs? Play their own instruments?

If both, then I might be inclined towards Prince. Elvis didn't get credit for writing too many songs. Jimi died too damn young for me to say he was the GOAT.

What about Sting?
I was wondering about the total rules for a solo artist.

Under these conditions. Writing their own...

Bowie
Sting would rank up there.

Jackson Browne

Prince? Go guitar player but his songs blow.

Nzoner
06-29-2006, 06:49 AM

I should have asked this before disagreeing with the thread starter.

chagrin
06-29-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm going to have to say that Steve Winwood doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Talk about Creativity and Musicianship!

Spencer Davis Group
Traffic
Blind friggin Faith
Ginger Baker's Airforce

Dude's been around for years and has never put out a shitty album.

He's got my vote

Honorable Mention:
Jackson Browne

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:08 AM
I have to disagree,although Elton is a phenomenal artist he's far from a solo act,without Bernie Taupin's lyrics he has nowhere near the fame he does.

Totally agree with this assessment. Darn good assessment, there. From a creative standpoint, at least.

Taupin isn't a musician, though, Mr. Nzoner 338. EJ has to get high marks for musicianship. I think he got his start playing keyboards on some of the TRex sessions if I'm not mistaken.

FAX

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:11 AM

What about Sting?

The criteria I'm operating under is twofold, Mr. Braincase. Creativity and Musicianship.

That's why I have a hard time with Elvis as compared to Gabriel. Sting isn't a bad choice, really. Although he got most of his props for his work with the Police. It's funny, I don't really think of him as a solo rock artist for some reason.

FAX

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:14 AM
I'm going to have to say that Steve Winwood doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Talk about Creativity and Musucianship!

Spencer Davis Group
Traffic
Blind friggin Faith
Ginger Baker's Airforce

Dude's been around for years and has never put out a shitty album.

He's got my vote

Honorable Mention:
Jackson Browne

Great thought there, Mr. chagrin. I would put him on the list, as well.

Winwood ranks high in both categories and is deserving of mention, no doubt. Too bad he has such a reputation as a prick in RL.

JB gets honorable mention in my book. Not much more.

FAX

Undertaker #59
06-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Creativity and Musicianship.

Frank Zappa.

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Frank Zappa.

Definately makes the list. Excellent call, Mr. Undertaker #59.

You are clearly an undertaker of great taste. Saran Wrap must be ranked as one of the greatest songs of all times, to be sure.

FAX

chagrin
06-29-2006, 07:37 AM
Great thought there, Mr. chagrin. I would put him on the list, as well.

Winwood ranks high in both categories and is deserving of mention, no doubt. Too bad he has such a reputation as a prick in RL.

JB gets honorable mention in my book. Not much more.

FAX

I have not heard this, please give me an example of something you are referring to please.
And I don't think being a prick should take away from his value in this thread, he should still be considered a strong candidate.
He's not self righteous and doesn't tell everyone how to vote on environmental and political issues, as far as I know - unlike one Peter Gabriel.
Of course, if I'm wrong I can accept that.

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I have not heard this, please give me an example of something you are referring to please.
And I don't think being a prick should take away from his value in this thread, he should still be considered a strong candidate.
He's not self righteous and doesn't tell everyone how to vote on environmental and political issues, as far as I know - unlike one Peter Gabriel.
Of course, if I'm wrong I can accept that.

You're right, of course, Mr. chagrin. Prickism should not be a consideraton. But actually, I wasn't putting him down.

As for your question, I know several guys who have worked with him quite a bit. Oh, the stories they tell. What has been recounted to me is that he is off the charts in the ego category and is very difficult to work with. Now, that should not and, in my case, does not diminish his work and contribution. As I said, it's a good choice in my opinion. My comment was not intended to imply that it was not. I merely said it was "too bad" he has that reputation, which it is.

As for Gabriel being self-righteous on political matters, you may be correct. However, although political, Biko is one hell of a song, regardless of it's theme as I'm sure you will agree.

At the risk of offending you further, I remain firm in my choice as Gabriel as deserving the top spot. Winwood should definately be in the top ten - if not the top five. The guy has been and remains an awesome musician and writer.

EDIT: misspelled "Biko" due to mental deficiencies.

FAX

chagrin
06-29-2006, 08:05 AM
As for Gabriel being self-righteous on political matters, you may be correct. However, although political, Bico is one hell of a song, regardless of it's theme as I'm sure you will agree.
FAX

I thought it was Biko, Steven Biko - and while the story is very moving and those people that killed him, sicken me - I don't like the song itself, has nothing to do with Biko, the man.
Peter goes on and on and on to the point where I can't even listen to him anymore - I'm so repulsed by him I can't take it.

That's kick ass that your friends played with Steve Winwood - I have no doubt that he has a giant ego, he'd been famous since he was 15.

Finally, you haven't offended me at all dude, I enjoy discussing this stuff.

Molitoth
06-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Peter Gabriel for sure.

and a newcomer would be Eric Johanson of CIRE (http://cire.tv/cire-2.html) and EMPTYSELF (http://emptyself.com/).

Check him out!

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:13 AM
I thought it was Biko, Steven Biko - and while the story is very moving and those people that killed him, sicken me - I don't like the song itself, has nothing to do with Biko, the man.
Peter goes on and on and on to the point where I can't even listen to him anymore - I'm so repulsed by him I can't take it.

That's kick ass that your friends played with Steve Winwood - I have no doubt that he has a giant ego, he'd been famous since he was 15.

Finally, you haven't offended me at all dude, I enjoy discussing this stuff.

EDIT: You're right. Biko. Misspelled by FAX the brainiac.

I think it's amazing how differently people can feel about music. Taste is subjective, of course, but one man's awesome is another's really nasty. For example, I was extremely moved the first time I heard the song, Biko. I didn't even know what it was about, but the rhythm and orchestration and production shot through my well designed defenses, tweaked my soul, and brought a tear to my eye.

Yet, in your case, the song was unimpressive. It's fascinating, really, the differences in people and how they interpret and respond to music.

I don't pay attention to what Gabriel does outside of his music. Mainly because I don't want to develop a Tom Cruise reaction to his work.

FAX

jlscorpio
06-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Sweet. Now all the people that posted Dylan in my "Greatest American Bands" thread can actually make a point. :-) Dylan is up there. My pick here is Buddy Holly.

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Sweet. Now all the people that posted Dylan in my "Greatest American Bands" thread can actually make a point. :-) Dylan is up there. My pick here is Buddy Holly.

Buddy Holly is a great choice, Mr. jlscorpio. In his day, he rang the bell in both categories.

This is turning into a very interesting list. I'm going to have to figure out how to do a poll.

FAX

chagrin
06-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Buddy Holly is a great choice, Mr. jlscorpio. In his day, he rang the bell in both categories.

This is turning into a very interesting list. I'm going to have to figure out how to do a poll.

FAX

I agree with FAX, Buddy Holly was indeed creative and a solid musician, another great talent cut down too young.

Great pick Scorp!

htismaqe
06-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Frank Zappa.

:bravo:

KC Jones
06-29-2006, 06:48 PM

FAX

I believe we have all witnessed the birth of a new metric...

In next months editions of alternative magazines, we can expect to begin seeing the Seger scale used to evaluate up and coming bands.

KC Jones
06-29-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm no musician, just a pleb who knows what he likes when he hears it. I've always been partial to Paul Simon.

Moooo
06-29-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm no musician, just a pleb who knows what he likes when he hears it. I've always been partial to Paul Simon.

Graceland was one of the best albums EVER

Moooo

StcChief
06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Frank Zappa.

Yep.... way out musically. Self taught talent
Music honorary degree...Univ Chicago https://listhost.uchicago.edu/pipermail/chronicle-online/2001-June/000071.html

Monster talent pioneer in pop music for sure

Great gutarist. Lyrics were cutting edge stuff. but not for the mainstream...which is ok.

Played and produced his own work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

I would put him in the top 5....all time based on all criteria.

FAX
06-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Gotta give it up for Paul Simon. He was a genius in his day. Although on the Segar scale, he might move us perilously close to the John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Lou Reed zone.

But, I have another one for your consideration - Elvis Costello.

FAX

StcChief
06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Gotta give it up for Paul Simon. He was a genius in his day. Although on the Segar scale, he might move us perilously close to the John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Lou Reed zone.

But, I have another one for your consideration - Elvis Costello.

FAX

The Bob Segar scale.... I rank him with the Silver Bullet Band.

He wrote and played well. but the music needed the band.

He was good but....

Elvis Costello 80s talent with the Attractions. R'nR HOFer

Though Bob Dylan (an his band)
Singer not good, Song writer Excellent.

Musican guitar Harmonica.....
Changed the face of music inspired alot of folks.
Just not a complete talent.

Sam Hall
06-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan deserves to be in the discussion. I think he's a little more talented than Hendrix. Vaughan had passion for the music and he was in control of the guitar, something few guitarists can claim. It's a real shame that SRV left us too soon.

FAX
06-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Stevie Ray Vaughan deserves to be in the discussion. I think he's a little more talented than Hendrix. Vaughan had passion for the music and he was in control of the guitar, something few guitarists can claim. It's a real shame that SRV left us too soon.

Awesome pick, Mr. Sam Hall. SRV is one of my all time favorites. I am forced, however, to disagree with you in respect to the comparison to Hendrix. I am confident SRV would too, although I completely understand where you're coming from on that.

Really high marks on musicianship. Not so high on creativity, though. Very high marks on friggin' loud.

I miss him a lot.

FAX

Sam Hall
06-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Awesome pick, Mr. Sam Hall. SRV is one of my all time favorites. I am forced, however, to disagree with you in respect to the comparison to Hendrix. I am confident SRV would too, although I completely understand where you're coming from on that.

Really high marks on musicianship. Not so high on creativity, though. Very high marks on friggin' loud.

I miss him a lot.

FAX

My only problem with Vaughan was that he wasn't a very good singer. His singing was rough most of the time. I was amazed with what he did with the guitar on the El Mocambo DVD. He idolized Hendrix, so yeah, SRV wouldn't put himself above Hendrix.

StcChief
06-29-2006, 08:16 PM
SRV singing was his weakness.

Songwriting, his music style, guitar playing strength.

top 10.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Chuck Berry was a pioneer. I know it has evolved and developed. I just can't give my vote to anyone else. Chuck is the grandfather of rock.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Definately, Mr. ZepSinger. He might have made my list at 1 or 2 had his career been longer.

I read somewhere that he was considering cutting a fusion rock/jazz album just before he died. That would have been interesting.

FAX
From what I understand, Hendrix was set to "join" Emerson Lake & Palmer for an album or two... Supposedly to be called HELP.

Nightwish
07-01-2006, 11:12 AM

Totally. But I think the "Best Total Package" award has got to go to David Bowie.