SPchief
06-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Anybody disagree with me??

hypersensitiveZO6
06-28-2006, 10:54 AM
no

sd4chiefs
06-28-2006, 11:04 AM
If I could get the NFL Sunday ticket on cable I would drop Direct TV in a heartbeat.

greg63
06-28-2006, 11:06 AM
You're just sayin that 'cause Skip ain't around. :p

Mr. Laz
06-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Anybody disagree with me??

i don't know about sucking ..... but they definitely could do a few things better.

1. rain fade really,really sucks

gotta be some way to fix it

2. Directivo has a feature where you can filter your channels ... so you don't have to see 2 million spanish music channels in your menu. But Directv is constantly pulling and revising the channels so the filter has to be redone each freakin week.

it should take them all of about 2 seconds to make the software retain your filter block for a specific channel even if it's been reset.

3. special shows are listed as all day events so you can't set them up to be recorded without doing it manually.

this includes a large portion of the sunday ticket football games :cuss:

KCTitus
06-28-2006, 11:19 AM
It sucks but for one small detail...it's the ONLY way to get NFL Sunday Ticket. That alone is keeping it in bidness.

dtebbe
06-28-2006, 11:26 AM
I love DirecTv. Compared to any cable company I've ever dealt with, they are god. I've never had any issue customer service wise and I've been a customer since 1994 or 95.

If you are having rain fade on a regular basis, your install is half-ass.

A close 2nd is Sirius, after having it for just a few months, I can't stand to listen to commercial laden OTA radio anymore.

DT

ChiefaRoo
06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I like my DTV. Although there has to be a way to work around bad weather disruption..

1adam1238
06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
I would have cable too. If it weren't for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I think there customer service sucks big time!!!!!!!

cookster50
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Never had a problem with DTV other than the occasional problems when the weather is really, really, really bad.

DaneMcCloud
06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, I think their service is outstanding. They always take care of my problems quickly and when the guys from Ironwood Communication come out, they're always polite and work quickly.

I recently had additional lines installed and some existing lines moved and the guy was awesome. And contrary to what another poster has said about the upcoming HD Upgrade, I've been guaranteed that replacing my current 3 LNB dish with the new 5 LNB dish, along with replacing 4 HD Tivos will be free. No additional cost.

We'll soon have over 120 HD channels, which will be awesome! So no, I don't agree.

Donger
06-28-2006, 12:00 PM
I like my DTV. Although there has to be a way to work around bad weather disruption..

Not really, unless you can change the laws of RF. If your RSS is marginal to begin with, weather is going to have a greater effect than if youe RSS is good/great.

kcxiv
06-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Never once did direct tv go out on me, and we had so much rain and thunderstorms we almost got floodedoutta my house, yet direct tv was solid as a rock.

I love it,never going back to regular cable tv.

ChiefaRoo
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Not really, unless you can change the laws of RF. If your RSS is marginal to begin with, weather is going to have a greater effect than if youe RSS is good/great.

I suggest that they jacket the wave with an inverse polaron beam. That ought to do it.

:)

Fish
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Television is over-rated......

Bugeater
06-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Directv sucks, and so do Astrovans, Mounds bars and the Kansas Jayhawks.

SPchief
06-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Directv sucks, and so do Astrovans, Mounds bars and the Kansas Jayhawks.

Don't forget smoking weed. Weed sucks

sd4chiefs
06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, I think their service is outstanding. They always take care of my problems quickly and when the guys from Ironwood Communication come out, they're always polite and work quickly.

I recently had additional lines installed and some existing lines moved and the guy was awesome. And contrary to what another poster has said about the upcoming HD Upgrade, I've been guaranteed that replacing my current 3 LNB dish with the new 5 LNB dish, along with replacing 4 HD Tivos will be free. No additional cost.

We'll soon have over 120 HD channels, which will be awesome! So no, I don't agree.

How soon is soon? I heard about DTV getting this (soon) a year ago.

Bugeater
06-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Old people suck.

Frazod
06-28-2006, 12:45 PM
How soon is soon. I heard about DTV getting this (soon) a year ago.
Yeah, no shit. Last time I checked, they certainly hadn't mentioned it on their website. It's just one HBO channel, one Showtime channel (which I don't subscribe to), two ESPNs, Discovery, TNT and a couple of miscellaneous channels, and that's it. Hardly worth the additional expense.

I hate these f#ckers with every fiber of my being. I will not rehash the myriad of issues I had with their submoronic customer reps or the catch-22 problem with my DVR, but nothing has changed.

I am a hostage to Sunday Ticket, plain and simple. I pray for the day when that monopoly is broken.

ChiefsfaninPA
06-28-2006, 01:03 PM
I have been a customer for almost two years now and have had no problems. It has gone out twice just this week but we were having Noah's Ark type rain and Tstorms in my area. I moved to my new house about three months ago and they installed one of those gimunguous 5 LNB dishes and I haven't had a problem with that either. Compared to cable there HD selection in way better. It is minimal with DTV but at least it is included in the HD package. With cable, I only received the local channels, which I could receive for free with a OTA antenna. ESPN, Discovery and TNT were all an additional HD cost. I guess this argument is like Chevy's and Fords.

DaneMcCloud
06-28-2006, 01:11 PM
How soon is soon? I heard about DTV getting this (soon) a year ago.

You'd have to call them for your area, but mine will be installed in early August. Certain parts of LA already have them, so it appears to be some sort of rollout.

BIG_DADDY
06-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I am a hostage to Sunday Ticket, plain and simple. I pray for the day when that monopoly is broken.

Yep, that's where I'm coming from.

TinyEvel
06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Funny you posted this.
i just signed up yesterday (one-hour phone call) and was kind of frustrated at the length of the call and all the friggin'details, but they'll be putting it in Saturday (with a new 2-hour install window 10am-noon).
Got Sunday Ticket (The reason I switched) with superfan. But there's a 10 buck monthly to get HD broadcasts,and a 6-buck per month tivo fee, and 5 bucks per extra receiver fee (regrdless of wether you own the receiver or it's theirs) I think with their 130 channel package with locals, HBO and HD with Tivo, it's gonna be like 80 bucks a month.

The biggest frustration was trying to get a straight answer from the sales rep as to wether a receiver I bought from an online retailer would work with the install.

They didin't answer my question, just kept saying, "well, then the installer will charge you to install that equipment, and we don't activate non-DTV-provided equipments, blah blah blah. They're trained to beat you down with negatories rather than say yes or no.
I understand they want to control the cash flow, but DAMN!

Since I live in So-Cal, I'm not anticipating weather-related problems. Except the weather being so nice I might not be inside watching TV. :p

Iowanian
06-28-2006, 01:21 PM
I've been considering switching....I pay $125 for cable and internet, can't get sunday ticket, can't get NFL network...and they keep dicking up my bill....oh, and for the new DVR they advertise, they'd like a $500 tab on my credit card as deposit.

Rausch
06-28-2006, 01:22 PM
I've been pretty happy with DTV.

The only problem I've had was paying 5 months for the Playboy channel that I didn't ask for, so I didn't know I had it, so I didn't even watch it... :cuss:

But I got all the $$$ back in credits so I'm cool...

BIG_DADDY
06-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Funny you posted this.
i just signed up yesterday (one-hour phone call) and was kind of frustrated at the length of the call and all the friggin'details, but they'll be putting it in Saturday (with a new 2-hour install window 10am-noon).
Got Sunday Ticket (The reason I switched) with superfan. But there's a 10 buck monthly to get HD broadcasts,and a 6-buck per month tivo fee, and 5 bucks per extra receiver fee (regrdless of wether you own the receiver or it's theirs) I think with their 130 channel package with locals, HBO and HD with Tivo, it's gonna be like 80 bucks a month.

The biggest frustration was trying to get a straight answer from the sales rep as to wether a receiver I bought from an online retailer would work with the install.

They didin't answer my question, just kept saying, "well, then the installer will charge you to install that equipment, and we don't activate non-DTV-provided equipments, blah blah blah. They're trained to beat you down with negatories rather than say yes or no.
I understand they want to control the cash flow, but DAMN!

Since I live in So-Cal, I'm not anticipating weather-related problems. Except the weather being so nice I might not be inside watching TV. :p

I should have you pick up two extra receivers and I will come down and pick them up and pay half your bill. That way I get the Lakers for free as well. I am tired of having to pay for NBA season ticket when I am only interested in the Lakers. You would get MMA for free too as I always pay for that.

Logical
06-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I like my DTV. Although there has to be a way to work around bad weather disruption..I have never experienced weather related disruption. So the answer is: move to San Diego. :D

Logical
06-28-2006, 01:37 PM

I think it may be an area of the country thing because I also receive outstanding service and have almost no complaints. The HD issue is annoying but I should have investigated more carefully before I bought the HD DVR.

Frazod
06-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Funny you posted this.
This is another thing that annoys me - they advertise low prices, and then nickel and dime you to death. Only we're not dealing in nickels and dimes. All those extras add up quickly.

Reminds me of the episode of Gilligan's Island where everybody was fleecing the Howells. The professor said "Now that you've bought the candles, perhaps you'd be interested in these wicks."

F#ckers. :cuss:

DaneMcCloud
06-28-2006, 01:55 PM
I think it may be an area of the country thing because I also receive outstanding service and have almost no complaints. The HD issue is annoying but I should have investigated more carefully before I bought the HD DVR.

What HD issue are you referencing?

Mr. Laz
06-28-2006, 02:02 PM
I have never experienced weather related disruption. So the answer is: move to San Diego. :D
that's because you don't actually have weather in san diego.

kc1977
06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Does anyone else have DirecTV DVR Plus, the new DVR they are using instead of TIVO?

It's got some problems that they claim are software problems that will be upgraded through periodic software updates. It's been a while and I still have occasional problems with buttons causing funny things, an occasional program that won't record.

Anyone know the deal here? Anytime I complain, they say a new box won't solve anything - the software is just being fixed and the problem will be taken care of at some point, they just can't tell you when.

Deberg_1990
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Ive actually had Direct TV for about 5 years now and ive always been pleased with them. I like the fact that they are 100% digital on all channels unlike cable. Picture quality is worlds better. Sure, they are not perfect (not enough HD channels yet...They do nickel and dime like Frazod mentioned) but overall they do a decent job.

Nzoner
06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't have any problems with DTV of course if I ever do you can bet your ass I'm going to remind them I have 8 receivers,their insurance plan and other extras.

Yes,I'm not beyond pulling out the preferred customer card. :)

Frazod
06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I don't have any problems with DTV of course if I ever do you can bet your ass I'm going to remind them I have 8 receivers,their insurance plan and other extras.

Yes,I'm not beyond pulling out the preferred customer card. :)

Yeah, that and a nickel will get you 1/20th of a dollar.

Every time I call those assclowns, the first thing they say is "I see you're one of our most valuable customers. Thank you for your business."

Then they proceed to either give me bad information, no information, or transfer me five times before cutting me off.

Nzoner
06-28-2006, 10:38 PM

Every time I call those assclowns, the first thing they say is "I see you're one of our most valuable customers. Thank you for your business."

Then they proceed to either give me bad information, no information, or transfer me five times before cutting me off.

That sucks to hear,the only frustrating moments I have with them is whan my multi-switch gets zapped and I call in only to get some guy named Dulah who has to walk me through the damn troubleshooting steps before transferring me to set an appointment to get a new multi-switch which I knew I needed in the first place.

Frazod
06-28-2006, 10:42 PM
That sucks to hear,the only frustrating moments I have with them is whan my multi-switch gets zapped and I call in only to get some guy named Dulah who has to walk me through the damn troubleshooting steps before transferring me to set an appointment to get a new multi-switch which I knew I needed in the first place.

Eventually you'll probably go HD with that spread you've got. God help you then. :eek:

Nzoner
06-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Eventually you'll probably go HD with that spread you've got. God help you then. :eek:

Yep and not only DTV,I'll probably have to get the cabinet redone to make everything look right.

Rausch
06-28-2006, 10:46 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you've managed to pull the one uber-tarded clown on shift when you call. And knowing your luck it wouldn't surprise me.

I have yet to get a pain-in-the-azz/idiot/liar on the phone from them...

Bugeater
06-28-2006, 11:06 PM
The only thing I can think of is that you've managed to pull the one uber-tarded clown on shift when you call. And knowing your luck it wouldn't surprise me.

I have yet to get a pain-in-the-azz/idiot/liar on the phone from them...
That's pretty much what I dealt with when I was with them. That is if I got a hold of a human at all. What puzzles me whenever the subject comes up is the huge disparity in the opinions. It's like there are two completely different DirecTv's out there, one that treats the customer like shit and another that gives excellent service.

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2006, 12:31 AM
it's the ONLY way to get NFL Sunday Ticket. Heh. Not me. My parents were interested in getting Directv, so I told them they could have my Tivos. I'll pay them for Sunday ticket. I called DTv and told them I was moving and gave them my parents address. They are only 45 miles away from me, so I guess I'll be frequenting my folks this fall...

Inspector
06-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Congrats on the Gilligan's Island reference.

That was cool.

It really made this thread, and all that participated, cool too.

DaKCMan AP
06-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Is Direct TV some type of cheap ripoff of DirecTV?

I could imagine that sucking...

Mr. Kotter
06-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Skip will not be happy to see this....

DaKCMan AP
06-29-2006, 07:06 AM
eh..skips not happy to see anything

ChiefsfaninPA
06-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Skip will not be happy to see this....

I think Skip has been busy lately installing dishes somewhere. He has not been around in awhile. I am assuming he is okay because I have not heard otherwise.

Lzen
06-29-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't know about DirecTV, but my Dish Network has been pretty good for me for almost 2 years now. :)

Frazod
06-29-2006, 09:33 AM
That's pretty much what I dealt with when I was with them. That is if I got a hold of a human at all. What puzzles me whenever the subject comes up is the huge disparity in the opinions. It's like there are two completely different DirecTv's out there, one that treats the customer like shit and another that gives excellent service.

I never had any problems until I foolishly ventured into the realm of HDTV. It seems none of the general customer service reps know anything about it (at least they didn't six months ago). Of course, that doesn't stop them from attempting to bluff and bluster their way through the calls.

I understand this technology is new. But I'm paying for this shit NOW. My current bills aren't merely future possibilities. I expect these turds to be able to talk about their services, ALL of their services, in an informed manner. They can't.

dtebbe
06-29-2006, 11:39 AM

I will admit that I have gotten an idiot once, and when I figured that out I hung up and called back and got someone who took care of my problem (this was a rebate issue on my HD Tivo). Basically the first lady I called told me she couldn't do anything to help me with my rebate since an "outside firm" was handling the rebate. I asked for a credit to my account for the rebate amount, and she said she could not do that.

I called back 5 minutes later and the person I talked to then offer to credit my bill for the rebate amount before I could even ask them to do that. So I guess it does depend on who you talk to. I think it's more a matter of speaking with someone who is empowered (ie. management level) that just getting a dumbass. I know this happens at my business, when someone with a problem talks with one of my employees, vs. talking to me direct. I try to empower them to a point, but it's hard to find people who have the same values/judgement to just "turn them loose" on decisions that can really impact the bottom line.

DT

Deberg_1990
06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
I never had any problems until I foolishly ventured into the realm of HDTV. It seems none of the general customer service reps know anything about it (at least they didn't six months ago). Of course, that doesn't stop them from attempting to bluff and bluster their way through the calls.

I understand this technology is new. But I'm paying for this shit NOW. My current bills aren't merely future possibilities. I expect these turds to be able to talk about their services, ALL of their services, in an informed manner. They can't.

Why dont you drop the HD channels until they get their act togehter with HD?? Thats why i havent made the jump yet and ive had a HD ready TV for about 4 years now.

Frazod
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Why dont you drop the HD channels until they get their act togehter with HD?? Thats why i havent made the jump yet and ive had a HD ready TV for about 4 years now.

Because I want to watch football in HD, which was my primary motivation for doing this in the first place. Most of the Sunday Ticket games come in on the HD channels.

My problem is that due to a bunch of Catch-22 bullshit, I am unable to watch the local CBS affiliate in HD. Last year, DTV would black out any Sunday Ticket game that the local station was carrying. And since the local CBS station carried every Chiefs game after I got my HD, I was basically f#cked.

It is my understanding that Sunday Ticket will NOT black out games next year (other than local market restrictions, which won't impact me). God, I hope that is the case.

Manila-Chief
06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Where is Skip? This thread has been up for a while and no response from him?? He must be getting rich or he has a new girl friend????

Manila-Chief
06-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Interesting topic. I'm waiting until the NFL Sunday Ticket special offers come out before I order my DTV. I live in the Memphis surburbs and I hear that all we get are the Titties down here. Thus if I want to watch the Chiefs I'll have to go with DTV.

Gotta couple of questions:

1. Since some of you are having problems with HD on DTV, should I sign up for it? We just want a clear picture. Regular TV here is much sharper than the picture quality we had in The Philippines. But, will we enjoy HD enough to pay the extra price?

2. We must buy a TV ... do I spend the extra bucks and get a HDTV? Then there is the issue of all broadcast going digital in 2009????

I was planning to spend around $2,000 for an HDTV (not sure which kind??? and that is the subject for another thread) but with the comments made on here regarding HD ... I'm not sure it is worth the money to go big screen???

ChiefsLV
06-29-2006, 09:08 PM
I havent had any problems with my DirecTV but

1) I live in the desert, so no extreme weather.

2) I don't subscribe to HD, nor would I with HDTV still in its infancy and especially not HDTV through DirecTV due to the fact that I couldn't get any local channels in HD without an air antenna which doesn't always pick them up anyway.

dtebbe
06-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Where is Skip? This thread has been up for a while and no response from him?? He must be getting rich or he has a new girl friend????

Either that or he's just discovered the joy of Astroglide :)

DT