PDA

View Full Version : That's it! Disney is officially off my list!

4th and Long
06-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Getting on any of their rides these days seems suicidal. Another dead kid.

Coincidence? :hmmm:

Child Dies After Riding Disney Roller Coaster

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A boy died Thursday after riding a the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster at Disney MGM theme park. The theme park said a preliminary investigation showed the ride was operating normally.

The Orange County sheriff's office had said the boy was 7, but Disney said he was 12. The discrepancy couldn't immediately be explained.

He died after he was brought by ambulance to Celebration Hospital at about 11:30 a.m., a Disney statement said.

The boy was pronounced dead in an ambulance a short time after riding the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, sheriff's spokesman Jim Solomons said. "We don't know if it is a trauma or medical call," Solomons said.

The sheriff's office is investigating at the scene. State park safety officials were also notified, Disney said. Park officials closed the ride.

"We offer the family our deepest sympathies," Disney said in a statement.

A Disney Web site description of the ride says: "Zoom from 0-60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack."

The roller coaster has a high-speed launch that goes from 0 to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds. The coaster is the second-fastest ride at Disney, The Orlando Sentinel reported. The indoor ride opened in 1999.

Disney MGM is among the Walt Disney Co.'s four parks in Florida. The boy was the seventh person to die at a Disney attraction since the Christmas season of 2004, according to state records reviewed by the Orlando Sentinel.

Two other people have died after going on another Disney ride: Epcot's "Mission: Space."

Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Sellersville, Pa., died June 13, 2005. An autopsy determined he died of an irregular heartbeat linked to an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle that can cause sudden death.

In April, a 49-year-old woman from Germany became ill and died after the ride. A medical examiner's report said she died from bleeding of the brain and had severe, long-standing high blood pressure.

Deberg_1990
06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Ok but how does one explain the billions of people who have ridden these rides and have come away fine and dandy???

FAX
06-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Good Lord!

Baby tomato needs to stay away from that place.

FAX

ct
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Sounds like another undetected medical condition to me. Very sad, indeed, but let's dispense with the conspiracy theories, ok?

Moooo
06-29-2006, 02:30 PM
I guess the disclaimers saying "you shouldn't ride if..." weren't enough.

What I feel bad for is some kid who is living what is at that point probably the greatest time of his life, going to Disneyland, and then he dies on a ride there.

Moooo

TrebMaxx
06-29-2006, 02:37 PM
That is really too bad and I feel for the little guys family. I rode that ride last year and really, it isn't that bad. There must of been something already wrong with him. Now for the Mission: Space ride, oh shite, that one is something else. Messed me up for an hour or so.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-29-2006, 02:42 PM
You would know if you had the smallest chance to die after going on a ride. This isn't Disney's fault at all. If your that messed up, you shouldn't take the chance of the ride.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2006, 02:56 PM
7 people in 2 years isn't bad considering all the people who visit there.

stevieray
06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
7 people in 2 years isn't bad considering all the people who visit there.

unless you are one of those seven.

the Talking Can
06-29-2006, 02:58 PM
it was the Aerosmith...

BucEyedPea
06-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Celebration Hospital.

WTF? What kinda name is that for a hospital?
Do people really celebrate when they get there? :shake:

Rooster
06-29-2006, 03:03 PM

ROFL ROFL Good point... I bet they have balloons and party hats in all the rooms.

BucEyedPea
06-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Or unless you deliver a healthy baby!!

jspchief
06-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Do people really celebrate when they get there? :shake:The theme park execs celebrate when they manage to kill another kid.

Tribal Warfare
06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
The theme park execs celebrate when they manage to kill another kid.

This type of stuff invites the adrenaline junkies

J Diddy
06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Sellersville, Pa., died June 13, 2005. An autopsy determined he died of an irregular heartbeat linked to an abnormal thickening of the heart muscle that can cause sudden death.

I was down there when that happened. Kinda freaked me out, needless to say we avoided the theme parks from that point on.

The only thing I can think of is "who the **** lets a 4 year old get on these kind of rides anyway"

JBucc
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I heard that's a pretty good ride. Anybody here ridden it before?

hypersensitiveZO6
I have to admit I'm tepted to stick my leg out on a ride at Silver Dollar City and sue the company. I hope that isn't the case here.

ct
I was down there when that happened. Kinda freaked me out, needless to say we avoided the theme parks from that point on.

The only thing I can think of is "who the **** lets a 4 year old get on these kind of rides anyway"

I agree. I personally didn't think Mission: Space was all it was hyped to be, but it was still cool. But there's no way in hell I'd take my 5 year old on it.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
unless you are one of those seven.
If I was, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Hehe. Celeberation is a small community near Kissemee.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2006, 03:34 PM
I agree. I personally didn't think Mission: Space was all it was hyped to be, but it was still cool. But there's no way in hell I'd take my 5 year old on it.
I puked on that ride. It's the only ride i've ever been in that supplied airsick bags.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I have to admit I'm tepted to stick my leg out on a ride at Silver Dollar City and sue the company. I hope that isn't the case here.
I figured just being in or around Branson, MO could cause a brain hemmorage.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-29-2006, 03:37 PM
I figured just being in or around Branson, MO could cause a brain hemmorage.

Its the old people in their vehicles.

Monty
06-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I rode both those rides multiple times just two weeks ago and I found neither to be that scary or nauseating afterwards.

If there is anything to be afraid of down there, it would be the mad moms and dads with those baby strollers!! They were vicious!! ROFL

bogie
06-29-2006, 04:09 PM

You pretty much just blew your chance of winning the law suit.

hypersensitiveZO6
06-29-2006, 04:11 PM
You pretty much just blew your chance of winning the law suit.

Damn.

Let's see....Next on my list is .............................................................World's of Fun!

Megbert
06-29-2006, 04:17 PM
If there is anything to be afraid of down there, it would be the mad moms and dads with those baby strollers!! They were vicious!! ROFL
I agree I went to D-Land this past spring and made the mistake of venturing into Fairytale land or whatever the hell its called. Strollers everywhere. Couldn't walk without getting my ankles clipped by some parent.

WTH would you bring a 'stroller age kid' to any place like that? I went for the first time when I was 6/7 and I barely remember anything from that trip.

BucEyedPea
06-29-2006, 04:21 PM
WTH would you bring a 'stroller age kid' to any place like that? I went for the first time when I was 6/7 and I barely remember anything from that trip.
The pictures...especially the cute ones of them riding Dumbo. Takes a great shot if you sit in another Dumbo in front of them...especially a video.

Megbert
06-29-2006, 04:24 PM
The pictures...especially the cute ones of them riding Dumbo. Takes a great shot if you sit in another Dumbo in front of them...especially a video.
Oh so its more for the parent than the kid. Got it. I think if I have any kids I'll wait till they can ride more than 3-4 rides. Oh and they'll have to walk on their own the whole day.

BucEyedPea
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh so its more for the parent than the kid. Got it. I think if I have any kids I'll wait till they can ride more than 3-4 rides. Oh and they'll have to walk on their own the whole day.

Yep! Even having a kid is for the adults too! :p
Kids are fun. I love watchin' their reactions to things we take for granted in a jaded way. Even if they don't remember.

Mine loved DW at age 4 ! Of course at 4 its the merry-go-round in Fantasy Land over and over ad nauseum.

They seem to lose interest at age 9 though. Then they seem to like Universal and Islands of Adventure more then or Bush Gardens.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
I have several comments to offer here.

1. It's too bad the kid died, because I'll bet it more or less ruined the whole family's vacation.

2. When I was about 25, a friend and I went out to California, and we went to Disneyland. We're walking around, checking stuff out, and we figured that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was a roller coaster. Wild Ride. Should be a roller coaster. I think we're the only pair of twenty-something guys who have ever ridden on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride without a child in tow.

3. Modern rides stink. You sit in a chair while they shake the chair and show you a video. Big freakin' deal. I weep for the kids of today, even the ones who live through it. A "ride" should involve riding. And movement. And preferably lots of speed and fast drops. These new things aren't rides, they're TV with a shaking chair.

Tactical Funky
06-29-2006, 05:39 PM
It's too bad the kid died, because I'll bet it more or less ruined the whole family's vacation.

More or less?!? ROFL

Sorry, I shouldn't be laughing... STFU

BucEyedPea
06-29-2006, 05:47 PM

1. It's too bad the kid died, because I'll bet it more or less ruined the whole family's vacation.

2. When I was about 25, a friend and I went out to California, and we went to Disneyland. We're walking around, checking stuff out, and we figured that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was a roller coaster. Wild Ride. Should be a roller coaster. I think we're the only pair of twenty-something guys who have ever ridden on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride without a child in tow.

3. Modern rides stink. You sit in a chair while they shake the chair and show you a video. Big freakin' deal. I weep for the kids of today, even the ones who live through it. A "ride" should involve riding. And movement. And preferably lots of speed and fast drops. These new things aren't rides, they're TV with a shaking chair.
That's true for Disney....but not at Islands of Adventure....there's a few scary RC's there and there's Jurassic Park and few others with real drops in them. Bush Gardens has about three roller-coaster now. My kid loves those now. I HATE all of them and won't get on any of them...and I don't like to know when mine is on them.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2006, 05:55 AM

Mr Toads Wild Ride is no longer there.

DaKCMan AP
06-30-2006, 07:45 AM
I've been on RRC many many many many many many many times since it's been open. Always loved it, never had a problem. It's an indoor roller coaster in which the best part is the initial acceleration forward.

I've also been on Mission Space a few times, never got sick. It's not a great ride so I choose not to go on it that much, but it's not a "get sick" ride.

- avid Disney-goer for the last 17-18 years

Alton deFlat
06-30-2006, 07:55 AM
I've been on RRC many many many many many many many times since it's been open. Always loved it, never had a problem. It's an indoor roller coaster in which the best part is the initial acceleration forward.

I've also been on Mission Space a few times, never got sick. It's not a great ride so I choose not to go on it that much, but it's not a "get sick" ride.

- avid Disney-goer for the last 17-18 years

Same here. There are certainly more intense rides in other parks across the country. It's probably more dangerous to walk across my street, than to ride RRC.

Alton deFlat
06-30-2006, 11:53 AM
(from CNN)

Preliminary autopsy results found no injuries, but indicated congenital heart abnormalities in a 12-year-old boy who died after a Disney ride in Florida, according to a statement from the medical examiner’s office.

greg63
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
This has happened at several theme parks; not just Disney, but it sounds as if they have had more then their fair share of recent accidents.

Rausch
06-30-2006, 12:08 PM
This has happened at several theme parks; not just Disney, but it sounds as if they have had more then their fair share of recent accidents.

So far it sounds like unknown medical problems the people had (or ignored) and not some fault of Disney...

Sure-Oz
06-30-2006, 02:06 PM
I rode that ride 5 times this week and i was fine....I had a kick ass week down there, you'll def. miss out. There are also many warning signs like heart conditions etc, it just sounds like an unknown freak thing, that just happens to happen.

CanadianChief
06-30-2006, 03:19 PM

I beg to differ. Have you tried the Spiderman ride at Islands of Adventure Universal Studios Florida???? That was the best ride on my entire Disney trip and it's pretty much a 3D shakey chair ride with a little bit of movement.

Logical
06-30-2006, 06:19 PM

Indeed the death is a tragedy.

Are points 2 and 3 related. Nah I suppose not.

I am not sure your age but I am suprised you went to Disneyland instead of Magic Mountain (much more age appropriate park for 25 year olds).

Actually though Disneyland has one of the best simulator type rides I have ever seen where the seats actually drop (only a few inches but enough to make you feel like you are falling), rock forward and back and side to side, not just shake.

mlyonsd
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Great, just f'ing great. My kid will be riding the rides in Eurodisney on Monday.