PDA

View Full Version : My dog is afraid of our surround sound amp & TV

jAZ
06-30-2006, 11:14 PM
It's the strangest thing...

Our dog gets freakishly scared everytime we turn on or off our surround sound amp or TV.

Both of them make a subtle pop/click sound when you turn it on/off. It freaks out the dog.

Anyone have any idea what that's about?

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
It's the strangest thing...

Our dog gets freakishly scared everytime we turn on or off our surround sound amp or TV.

Both of them make a subtle pop/click sound when you turn it on/off. It freaks out the dog.

Anyone have any idea what that's about?

Might be hitting some frequencies you can't hear, but are louder than hell for the pooch.

Moooo

jAZ
06-30-2006, 11:36 PM
Might be hitting some frequencies you can't hear, but are louder than hell for the pooch.

Moooo
I thought about that... and I guess it's possible, but we have 2 dogs and it only bothers 1...

greg63
06-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Sounds like a job for a dog therapist.

j/k

Maybe pooch just needs to get used to it.

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I thought about that... and I guess it's possible, but we have 2 dogs and it only bothers 1...

Huh... That is strange. Is the one dog who can hear it a lot younger than the other or anything like that?

If not that, maybe one of your dogs has anxiety issues, and the other is just cool with it.

Moooo

jAZ
06-30-2006, 11:43 PM
Huh... That is strange. Is the one dog who can hear it a lot younger than the other or anything like that?

If not that, maybe one of your dogs has anxiety issues, and the other is just cool with it.

Moooo
About 5 years younger and 1/3 the size.

One is 8 years old and a Retriever mix. The other is about 3 years old and a Minature Pinture mix.

Moooo
06-30-2006, 11:47 PM
About 5 years younger and 1/3 the size.

One is 8 years old and a Retriever mix. The other is about 3 years old and a Minature Pinture mix.

I'd think dogs are no different than humans in the sense that their ears get less sensitive through age.

Maybe his size makes him more aware of it.

Or, if he's a little dog, he's probably a bit neurotic. Most of them tend to be. (not that that's a bad thing...)

Moooo

jAZ
07-01-2006, 12:33 AM
I'd think dogs are no different than humans in the sense that their ears get less sensitive through age.

Maybe his size makes him more aware of it.

Or, if he's a little dog, he's probably a bit neurotic. Most of them tend to be. (not that that's a bad thing...)

Moooo
I completely typed that backwards... the bigger (older) dog hears it. The smaller/younger one doesn't.

The bigger one is a bit more skiddish, but this is about the worst reaction I've ever seen from her. It's funny to watch, but I feel bad for her.

The smaller one is far more dominant and a boy.

I'm betting the frequency thing plays a big part one way or the other.

Moooo
07-01-2006, 12:38 AM
I completely typed that backwards... the bigger (older) dog hears it. The smaller/younger one doesn't.

The bigger one is a bit more skiddish, but this is about the worst reaction I've ever seen from her. It's funny to watch, but I feel bad for her.

The smaller one is far more dominant and a boy.

I'm betting the frequency thing plays a big part one way or the other.

Its hard to tell. My question is why you're getting pop. I don't know much about electronics, but I thought with the amps being built into the recievers nowadays a lot of that was eliminated...

Then again, you probably actually have a good system with different components, instead of one of these "all in one" jobs you see.

Moooo

stevieray
07-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Your dog is covert RRWNJ and is about to crack, you imhumane bastard.

|Zach|
07-01-2006, 01:35 AM
Ha.

jAZ
07-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Your dog is covert RRWNJ and is about to crack, you imhumane bastard.
If one of my dogs was a RRWNJ, it'd be the little one. He's got a bit of a Napoleon Complex.

stevieray
07-01-2006, 02:03 AM
If one of my dogs was a RRWNJ, it'd be the little one. He's got a bit of a Napoleon Complex.

You would too, if your "name" was slick willie and you had to watch Anderson Cooper everyday.

jAZ
07-01-2006, 02:08 AM
You would too, if your "name" was slick willie and you had to watch Anderson Cooper everyday.
Heh... his name is "Bill", but until just now the Clinton connection never occured to me. Honestly.

My other dog's name is Bob.

I just like short, goofy familiar human names for dogs.

The next one will be Stewart.

stevieray
07-01-2006, 02:13 AM
Heh... his name is "Bill", but until just now the Clinton connection never occured to me. Honestly.

My other dog's name is Bob.

I just like short, goofy familiar human names for dogs.

The next one will be Stewart.

He's crappy enough, he's dumb enough, and doggone it( no pun intended), people kick him.

Bwana
07-01-2006, 05:54 AM
My theory would be that at one point you turned it on and Howard Dean was on one of his Psychotic rants. Don't blame the dog, blame the owner. :) Let him watch 3 or 4 hours of Fox News and things should level out.

Good Luck

StcChief
07-01-2006, 06:31 AM
Do you have a surge protection on your system?

If not get one. I have a Monster Cable one.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003CWDK/ref=pd_sbs_e_4/002-8228156-8752061?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

I had the same problem with my lab pointer....
The popping sound was the issue the surround music etc. Or turn amp down when you shut it off.

after awhile she got use the music / moviet or want to the porch.

Rain Man
07-01-2006, 06:46 AM
In a previous life, your dog was a roadie for The Who and had to guard the speakers during concerts.

Adept Havelock
07-01-2006, 10:52 AM
In a previous life, your dog was a roadie for The Who and had to guard the speakers during concerts.

That wasn't the toughest part. It was keeping the other roadies safe as the barrels on those .50 caliber emplacements at either end of the stage tended to get very hot.

kc rush
07-01-2006, 09:57 PM
My in-laws were watching a movie that had the sound of bees moving between channels. Their dog would duck every time the bees flew back and forth. Funny as hell.

Jesus
07-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Your dog is a wimp. You didn't train it well.