PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Royals! You are no longer the worst team in baseball

KingPriest2
07-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Kansas City 27 52 .342 27.0 15-20 12-32 2-13 10-21 5-11 Won 2 7-3

Pittsburgh 28 54 .341 16.5 20-23 8-31 4-7 13-21 8-15 Won 1 2-8

Sweet! :)

Pitt Gorilla
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Hell, if they played in the NL, they'd be World Series contenders.

Sure-Oz
07-01-2006, 09:46 PM
NL is getting owned by the AL big time in interleague.

SCTrojan
07-01-2006, 09:50 PM
The Cubs are also in that mix, if I remember correctly. They have a record of something like 29-51.

milkman
07-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Useless bastards can't even suck properly! :cuss:

tk13
07-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that's still a brutal record... just shows how bad of a hole we dug. Over the last month and a half or so, we've played a billion times better. Since the last time the Cards swept us, we've actually had a better record than them.

That was during that brutal 13 game losing streak where things looked about as desperate as they have ever looked. Since that streak ended, we've gone 17-17. I don't like all the things Buddy Bell does, but I will give him credit in that somehow he has kept this team from quitting. That is pretty amazing really. The Pirates apparently have quit weeks ago, the Cubs don't look too far behind. Meanwhile we're out here getting comeback wins and extra inning thrillers out the wazoo. Granted it's not much, but we've put ourselves in a legitimate position to avoid 100 losses again if we can keep playing like this, which would at least be a step in the right direction.

Coach
07-01-2006, 10:01 PM
The Cubs are also in that mix, if I remember correctly. They have a record of something like 29-51.

Yes, but the Royals and Pirates have a low payroll, unlike the Cubs, who are around $95-100 million IIRC.

SCTrojan
07-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes, but the Royals and Pirates have a low payroll, unlike the Cubs, who are around $95-100 million IIRC.

That's a good point - I didn't really think about that.

I was thinking more along the lines that if the Royals continue to play decent baseball, they could overtake two teams in their quest to get out of baseball's basement.

Sure-Oz
07-01-2006, 10:12 PM
The team looks to have some fight in it now and actually competing and looking like MLB players. I wanna see Gathright start getting on base and stealin some bases too, what a weapon he can be if we get him going.

Pitt Gorilla
07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
I thought that Orioles series was the low point. Burgos blew a game by himself. However, Buddy has kept the confidence that most of us fans lost. Hell, I wonder what Allard is thinking right now...

CHIEF4EVER
07-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah, that's still a brutal record... just shows how bad of a hole we dug. Over the last month and a half or so, we've played a billion times better. Since the last time the Cards swept us, we've actually had a better record than them.

That was during that brutal 13 game losing streak where things looked about as desperate as they have ever looked. Since that streak ended, we've gone 17-17. I don't like all the things Buddy Bell does, but I will give him credit in that somehow he has kept this team from quitting. That is pretty amazing really. The Pirates apparently have quit weeks ago, the Cubs don't look too far behind. Meanwhile we're out here getting comeback wins and extra inning thrillers out the wazoo. Granted it's not much, but we've put ourselves in a legitimate position to avoid 100 losses again if we can keep playing like this, which would at least be a step in the right direction.

I agree. Bell has done a pretty good job and now we have someone in the front office who knows what talent looks like as well. Things are looking up. Condition - If the Glasses stay out of the effing way and let the baseball folks do their jobs.

Eleazar
07-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree. Bell has done a pretty good job and now we have someone in the front office who knows what talent looks like as well. Things are looking up. Condition - If the Glasses stay out of the effing way and let the baseball folks do their jobs.

It's happened too suddenly for even the GM change or a change in ownership attitudes to have really been the catalyst, I think. I don't know where this all came from. We started getting some quality starts and the bullpen got a little better and the little things have helped a lot.

Given where we were earlier this year, on track to lose 120+, avoiding 100 losses this season would be one of, if not THE best, managerial performance we've seen since the glory years in the 80s, in my opinion.

It would take going 32-47 the rest of the way to avoid losing 100 games. That is a .405 pace, one that over a full season would work out to playing like a 96 loss team. Certainly difficult, especially since some guys who are producing might be on the block, but not unattainable. Remarkable given the horrid start to the season.

You start at the way we've played the last month, add in guys for the future like Gordon, Butler, Hochevar, etc etc., and you can start to see a glimmer of hope.

greg63
07-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Useless bastards can't even suck properly! :cuss:

ROFLROFLROFL

wazu
07-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Dayton Moore is a hero. He did this all by himself. Time for him to rule on high for the next two decades a la King Carl.

chiefqueen
07-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Dayton Moore is a hero. He did this all by himself. Time for him to rule on high for the next two decades a la King Carl.

Ok, so we when do we start calling him Prince Dayton?

Bowser
07-02-2006, 09:34 AM
The one thing we can call our own in baseball, and we screw that up too. :shake:

I have become one of those "go ahead and lose to enhance our draft position" guys when it came to this team. I was hoping we could have a shot at that catcher in next years draft. Of course his name escapes me at the moment.

milkman
07-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Of course his name escapes me at the moment.

Just like opportunities escape the Royals.

Bowser
07-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Just like opportunities escape the Royals.

Their sickness is spreading.

milkman
07-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Their sickness is spreading.

RUN!

Run for your life!

RUN!

Hammock Parties
07-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Royals back to the worst team in baseball tonight. :D

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 11:11 PM