PDA

View Full Version : Dang ... flash drives to replace your hard drive?

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 11:10 AM
yes... this is a tech thread, i'm sure somebody will move it once it drops.

but man, a 4 gig high performance flash drive for 94 bucks. :eek:

pretty soon you're not gonna have an installed hard drive ... just carry around a credit card size flash drive with ya all the time.

beam me up, Scotty!

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF4G200USB - Retail

$92.99
-5 dollar MIR

In Stock $4.99 Three Day Shipping (Not available in HI, AK and PR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220156

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 11:11 AM
yes... this is a tech thread, i'm sure somebody will move it once it drops.

but man, a 4 gig high performance flash drive for 94 bucks. :eek:

pretty soon you're not gonna have an installed hard drive ... just carry around a credit card size flash drive with ya all the time.

beam me up, Scotty!

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF4G200USB - Retail

$93.99
5 dollar MIR

In Stock $4.99 Three Day Shipping (Not available in HI, AK and PR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220156 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220156)

Isn't it great?

RealSNR
07-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I work on a laptop. I doubt you can order one without a hard drive

Baby Lee
07-03-2006, 11:15 AM
1. HDTV records at 8.5 Gigs and hour, so. . .
2. What is the transfer rate, solid state over USB, compared to say, SATA or RAID?

morphius
07-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Damn, that would be sweet.

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 11:19 AM
2. What is the transfer rate, solid state over USB, compared to say, SATA or RAID?
Patriot Flash Drive - 32MB/s read speed and 26MB/s write speed
ATA RAID - 230MB/s READ, 225MB/s WRITE

need at least 120MB/s write speed for HDTV

still doesn't compare to SATA ... but it's getting better all the time.

ct
07-03-2006, 11:21 AM
So maybe pretty soon you can plug your flash/hard drive into some outa town kiosk, and you're setup with your own home PC on the road.

Of course, big brother will be watching...

ck_IN
07-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Give it a few years so the r/w times catch up and you've got the idea.

By the end of the decade I expect laptops to be little more then a cpu, screen, and a host of usb ports.

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 11:26 AM
So maybe pretty soon you can plug your flash/hard drive into some outa town kiosk, and you're setup with your own home PC on the road...
yep ... won't be long

the drives are already big enough ... just need USB 3.0 and to improve the R/W times and you're good.

Saulbadguy
07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Won't be long, but at this point the transfer rates are too slow.

Saulbadguy
07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
African or European?

StcChief
07-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Flash USB drive has a battery built in good for 5 years,
ok for portable, don't put anything on it you want around
for a long time.

thepascalblaze
07-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Glasses/flip downs will repace screens, keyboards will shrink and be supplemented w/ voice recognition. It all exists commercially already, but there's a little way to go 'til costomer satisfaction/perceived relative convenience creates real market demand to pull it all together.

Get rid of the hard drive and screen, your whole rig will fit in your pocket. Headsets, wires and flipdown visors... will be all you'll see...

...coming soon to an isolated(in the immediate physical reality)/uber-connected(in the virtual world of pixels and data) individual near you...

ct
07-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Glasses/flip downs will repace screens, keyboards will shrink and be supplemented w/ voice recognition. It all exists commercially already, but there's a little way to go 'til costomer satisfaction/perceived relative convenience creates real market demand to pull it all together.

Get rid of the hard drive and screen, your whole rig will fit in your pocket. Headsets, wires and flipdown visors... will be all you'll see...

...coming soon to an isolated(in the immediate physical reality)/uber-connected(in the virtual world of pixels and data) individual near you...

I'm in for $20.

ck_IN
07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
<i>keyboards will shrink and be supplemented w/ voice recognition.</i>

Great, as if the idiots walking around and yammering into their bluetooth earpieces isn't bad enough, now you're going to do the same with keyboards?! A pox upon you sir!

Actually what I think we'll get are the keyboards that roll up and fit in your pocket. They're already out but not quite ready for prime time. Perfect those and you're back to the idea of a laptop being a usb host.

The flipup idea is kind of interesting. I wonder if that would screw with your eyesite though? Another concept is a PC that projects its screen on a flat surface. I'm not too sure that'd work in an airport though.

DaFace
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM
They're already producing actual flash-based hard drives for use in laptops and camcorders, but yeah, the transfer rates still suck. Plus they're expensive as hell.

PQI 64GB 2.5" SATA Drive - $2000 (http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/06/07/pqui_ssd_flash_drive/)

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Great, as if the idiots walking around and yammering into their bluetooth earpieces isn't bad enough, now you're going to do the same with keyboards?! A pox upon you sir!

Actually what I think we'll get are the keyboards that roll up and fit in your pocket. They're already out but not quite ready for prime time. Perfect those and you're back to the idea of a laptop being a usb host.

The flipup idea is kind of interesting. I wonder if that would screw with your eyesite though? Another concept is a PC that projects its screen on a flat surface. I'm not too sure that'd work in an airport though.
actually they already have the flip down ... it's slighty transparent and only on 1 eye so you can still function.

although i wouldn't want to try Driving with it.

DaFace
07-03-2006, 01:25 PM

Actually what I think we'll get are the keyboards that roll up and fit in your pocket.

Who needs a roll-up keyboard when you can just use one that's projected onto any surface (http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/)?

Saulbadguy
07-03-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm waiting when you can just get a jack installed on the side of your head that you can "plug in" to the system ala Shadowrun.

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm waiting when you can just get a jack installed on the side of your head that you can "plug in" to the system ala Shadowrun.
The Bio to electronic connection is gonna be a difficult

Saulbadguy
07-03-2006, 01:31 PM
The Bio to electronic connection is gonna be a difficult
Bio-technology amazes me.

Hammock Parties
07-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Flash drives will rule. We're moving towards a completely quiet PC.

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 01:35 PM

it does ... it's freaky stuff

it's the future too, the distant future but the future imo

ck_IN
07-03-2006, 01:37 PM
<i>Who needs a roll-up keyboard </i>

Interesting. I hadn't seen that. So you could have a projected screen and a projected keyboard. The only drawback would be finding the real estate to project on.

I've seen the flipups in commercials but I haven't tried one. Any idea how well the work? It would seem that if you spend any time looking at such a thing with one eye you'd get a blinding headache. I may be wrong but I'm curious about the ergonomics of it.

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
The only drawback would be finding the real estate to project on.
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/i-glassesonline_1898_694817

won't need space to project the screen ... they will just refine some kind of optical projection glasses.

http://www.i-glassesstore.com/iglassessvga3dhphones.html

ck_IN
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
<i>it's the future too, the distant future but the future imo</i>

Not that distant. I'm looking at that in 20yrs time. They already have amputees that can control limbs with a nerve hookup and I don't mean simple open/close control either.

In 20yrs time I'm thinking something along the lines of a sensor that wil pick up nerve impulses. Basiclly you'd have think about it and the nerve would fire and trigger the sensor. The computer itself would likely be bio based.

In shorter order would be a flipup that tracks eye movement. Just like in the Appache choppers. You want to hit return? You look at the projected control on your visor, blink twice quickly and you've got it.

Mr. Laz
07-03-2006, 01:46 PM
<i>it's the future too, the distant future but the future imo</i>

Not that distant. I'm looking at that in 20yrs time. They already have amputees that can control limbs with a nerve hookup and I don't mean simple open/close control either.

In 20yrs time I'm thinking something along the lines of a sensor that wil pick up nerve impulses. Basiclly you'd have think about it and the nerve would fire and trigger the sensor. The computer itself would likely be bio based.

In shorter order would be a flipup that tracks eye movement. Just like in the Appache choppers. You want to hit return? You look at the projected control on your visor, blink twice quickly and you've got it.

hope so ...

the eye trigger isn't really a bio < electronic connection, it's just a different "mouse"

true intregration of Mind>electronic will be a truly fantastic thing

6 million dollar man stuff will follow closely behind

chief2000
07-03-2006, 01:55 PM

:cuss: Shutup Mean Kstate BOY.

ck_IN
07-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Sorry Laz, I didn't mean for the eye control to be a bio device. I didn't make that clear. My bad.

Actually I think the only limit on bio computers/controls will be human squeemishness. I live and breath computers but there's no way in hell I'd allow myself to be biologicaly hooked to one.

Maybe the next generation won't mind a chip implant or a input port in their bodies. If so then the sky's the limit. If they do then we're limited to eye mouse controls and projected screens/keyboards.