PDA

View Full Version : Bowflex

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I am thinking of purchasing one and would be greatful for feedback a few areas:

How easy is it to change the settings, or excercise movement?

Do you get good results from regular workouts?

Is it more time consuming to work out because you have to constantly be changing things arround?

Thanks in advance.

penguinz
07-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I am thinking of purchasing one and would be greatful for feedback a few areas:

How easy is it to change the settings, or excercise movement?
Easy
Do you get good results from regular workouts?
yes
Is it more time consuming to work out because you have to constantly be changing things arround?

Thanks in advance.No more time than it takes to remove and add plates when using free weights.

FAX
07-03-2006, 11:31 AM
I hope yours works better than mine, Mr. bunnytrdr.

Mine came with too much bow and not enough flex.

FAX

teedubya
07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
I would share some insightful information about this, but alas, you have me on ignore, so sharing valuable insightful information with you, is pointless.

Bwana
07-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I would share some insightful information about this, but alas, you have me on ignore, so sharing valuable insightful information with you, is pointless.
Always happy to be of service. :p

BTW: I have one along with all my free weights and it works well. I would pick one off in your local paper though. People are always getting rid of them at a good guy deal after they quit using them. You should easily be able to obtain one for much less than half price.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-03-2006, 02:36 PM
i got positive results from mine.

MOhillbilly
07-03-2006, 02:40 PM
man+bowflex=

http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/4978.jpg

mcan
07-03-2006, 03:22 PM
any kind of regular training or exersize WILL give you results after a couple weeks. A Bowflex isn't any different. It's resistance training, similar to weights. It's not AS effective as weight training + knowledge, since the Bowflex exercises limit the types of movements that you can make and don't work stablizer muscles as much as free weights do. But it'll definately help to build strength and burn some calories.

On a side note, those MuscleGirl pictures have sadly done more to make girls afraid of weightlifting than anything else. With the exception of a couple of steroid enhanced American Gladiator types, those bodybuilder women are only "ripped" and musclebound for a month or so out of the year. (for competition). The rest of the year, they are about as hot as you can get. They pose for the covers and bikini sections of FLEX, and look like This:

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-091-training/image008.jpg

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
I had a friend that had a Bowflex and it seemed to work as a wonderful appliance to hang clothes on.

FAX
07-03-2006, 03:33 PM
... On a side note, those MuscleGirl pictures have sadly done more to make girls afraid of weightlifting than anything else. With the exception of a couple of steroid enhanced American Gladiator types, those bodybuilder women are only "ripped" and musclebound for a month or so out of the year. (for competition). ...

Very true, Mr. mcan. I was well acquainted with Lisa Lyon during the '70s. One could not tell she was a body builder until she flexed. Otherwise, she appeared to simply be an extremely attractive and well-proportioned woman.

FAX

FAX
07-03-2006, 03:35 PM
I had a friend that had a Bowflex and it seemed to work as a wonderful appliance to hang clothes on.

ROFL

I've purchases several of those items, Mr. JimNasium. The best one was a slider/walker thing. It had long, large handles that served as excellent clothing repositories.

They weren't much good for anything else, though.

FAX

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I just purchased a BowFlex Ultimate but haven't had a chance to put it together yet. Go on their website and request the DVD and information. You will then get phone calls trying to get you to purchase. Eventually, about a month after I inquired, you'll get an email offering a big discount. I got $500 off the Ultimate. I checked out a bunch of consumer reviews and they seemed overwhelmingly positive prior to my purchase.

BigVE
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
The main thing I would add is that for some people there isnt enough range of motion or enough weight resistance. For the average size person who is basically a somewhat of a beginner to weight training it would be ideal if used regularly.

Hammock Parties
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM

Jeez. We're going to need a name.

mcan
07-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Jeez. We're going to need a name.

Off season, modeling photos Jamie Eason.

http://www.jamieeason.com/

Her website.

If you do some searching around for her "contest" photos, she looks a bit more like the bulky grossout girls. Of course she's a lot prettier than most, but you get the idea. Unless you're going to be taking a TON of roids and you dedicate your life to lifting, there is no reason for a woman to be afraid of weights.

Bob Dole
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Bob Dole is thinking about moving the couch a little farther from the fridge.

Does anyone have any experience with that? How much longer does it take to get another beer? Do you see any real reduction in caloric consumption?

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Does anyone have any experience with that? How much longer does it take to get another beer? Do you see any real reduction in caloric consumption?
I've gone to bigger beer servings. It's done wonders for my upper body strength.

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Always happy to be of service. :p

BTW: I have one along with all my free weights and it works well. I would pick one off in your local paper though. People are always getting rid of them at a good guy deal after they quit using them. You should easily be able to obtain one for much less than half price.Thanks Bwana.

There are enough decent people here that I don't need any help from the communuts that I have on iggy.

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:25 PM
any kind of regular training or exersize WILL give you results after a couple weeks. A Bowflex isn't any different. It's resistance training, similar to weights. It's not AS effective as weight training + knowledge, since the Bowflex exercises limit the types of movements that you can make and don't work stablizer muscles as much as free weights do. But it'll definately help to build strength and burn some calories.

On a side note, those MuscleGirl pictures have sadly done more to make girls afraid of weightlifting than anything else. With the exception of a couple of steroid enhanced American Gladiator types, those bodybuilder women are only "ripped" and musclebound for a month or so out of the year. (for competition). The rest of the year, they are about as hot as you can get. They pose for the covers and bikini sections of FLEX, and look like This:

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/06-091-training/image008.jpgI was merely thinking of enhancing a gym membership with one. I have been working out with free weights for most of my adult life. Lately, it has become challenging to make it to the gym, therefore the need for some home gym equipment. Merely wanted to know if it was worth the money. Thanks for all of your inputs.

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I just purchased a BowFlex Ultimate but haven't had a chance to put it together yet. Go on their website and request the DVD and information. You will then get phone calls trying to get you to purchase. Eventually, about a month after I inquired, you'll get an email offering a big discount. I got $500 off the Ultimate. I checked out a bunch of consumer reviews and they seemed overwhelmingly positive prior to my purchase.Nice strategy. :thumb:

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:27 PM
The main thing I would add is that for some people there isnt enough range of motion or enough weight resistance. For the average size person who is basically a somewhat of a beginner to weight training it would be ideal if used regularly.by size, do you mean height?

I'm 5' 11" so that shouldn't be a problem.

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Jeez. We're going to need a name.Chiefie is getting sticky keys, and needs a name to what he spanks too.

ROFL

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Does anyone have any experience with that? How much longer does it take to get another beer? Do you see any real reduction in caloric consumption?When Bunnytrdr drinks beer, he goes ahead and buys the full calorie models. Bunnytrdr feels that you will drink less, and be more satisfied, therefore saving you calories, and you might even catch a buzz.

Hammock Parties
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Chiefie is getting sticky keys, and needs a name to what he spanks too.

ROFL

Nah, I just want more. Bookmarked her site and I will mine that shit later.

Calcountry
07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Nah, I just want more. Bookmarked her site and I will mine that shit later.Figures.

:D

FAX
07-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I will call her Sue.

FAX

BigVE
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
by size, do you mean height?

I'm 5' 11" so that shouldn't be a problem.

You should be fine...real tall people and overly short people will have trouble getting the most out of this machine since it is stationary. If your too tall you will only do about a half to 2/3 of a rep on alot of excercises, same goes for the shortys but on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-03-2006, 09:16 PM

I admire girls that workout. Anymore you see an attractive girl, where everything looks good while you're checking her out. Then, you get to her stomach, and she has a pouch, lol. Girls shouldn't be afraid of working out. Alot aren't, but some are.