PDA

View Full Version : Windows painted shut.

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:15 PM
I moved into a new (to me) home several months back and am just now getting the garage in order. Today I found that both windows in the garage are painted shut. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: Does anyone have any helpful hints as to how to get them open?

KcMizzou
07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
You knew this was coming...

Wile_E_Coyote
07-03-2006, 05:17 PM
razor blade & or putty knife

DaFace
07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
This would probably do it:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/JohnCampanelli/FlameThrower.jpg

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
You knew this was coming...
Thanks. I'm quite certain there will be a myriad of solutions to this problem....none of which I will be able to utilize.

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:19 PM
:hmmm:

KcMizzou
Thanks. I'm quite certain there will be a myriad of solutions to this problem....none of which I will be able to utilize.This man is clearly no n00b.

alanm
Of course you need to break the seal somehow. Razor blade or a thin paint scraper should work. Then take a rubber mallet and pound around the window frame. There's really no easy solution.

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Of course you need to break the seal somehow. Razor blade or a thin paint scraper should work. Then take a rubber mallet and pound around the window frame. There's really no easy solution.
I wish I could find the guy that did it. I would kick his nuts into his throat.

Eleazar
07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
I was thinking a hammer and paint scraper.

Although a bulldozer might be more fun.

alanm
07-03-2006, 05:25 PM
I wish I could find the guy that did it. I would kick his nuts into his throat.
It was probably a woman. No sane guy would do that. ROFL

|Zach|
07-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Hmm, you should prob move.

I will take care of your home from here on out.

Just looking out for you and your family...

tk13
07-03-2006, 05:35 PM
I'd put out a bowl of antifreeze.

morphius
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
I would try rebooting and running adaware and spybot...

...or use the putty knife, razor blade, chisel and then a jack hammer.

KC Jones
07-03-2006, 05:40 PM
You will need:

1 piece of chewed bubble gum
1 shoelace
1 roll of cardboard from toilet paper
3 paper clips
6 sprinkles from doughnuts (red only)
some chapstick

Using your macguyver field guide, you will then fashion these into a telepone. At this point you can call someone with the requisite testosterone to handle small home maintenace issues, you know - someone like Jenny.

:evil:

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I'd put out a bowl of antifreeze.
ROFL Makes me laugh every time.

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Hmm, you should prob move.

I will take care of your home from here on out.

Just looking out for you and your family...
Are you in town?

|Zach|
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Are you in town?
Indeed I am. Just moved into a place on Loren about a month ago.

I worked today and work tomorrow...bah!

JimNasium
07-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Indeed I am. Just moved into a place on Loren about a month ago.

I worked today and work tomorrow...bah!
What are you doing tomorrow after work? Might as well come over for a beer and check out the new digs.

Bob Dole
07-03-2006, 05:53 PM
The putty knife solution should do the trick...

|Zach|
07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
What are you doing tomorrow after work? Might as well come over for a beer and check out the new digs.
I would like that. I get off at 6:30. Drop me a PM.

Rain Man
07-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I've had to do that before, and here's what I needed: a paint scraper, a hammer, health insurance, and a telephone nearby to call 911. If you're handier than I am, you might just need the first two.

Eskimo Joe
07-03-2006, 06:30 PM
There are a few pretty good suggestions. If you are in a place to do so it might be time to replace the windows. (even if you don't own a computer)

Judge for yourself what condition the windows are in and check the surrounding siding to see if there looks like there could be some damage from water or dry rot.

If you are going to do the job yourself be sure you have all of the tools necessary for minor home repair. If not find a contractor that you can trust and have them do the job.

Most people can do this kind of work on their own with a little help form a DIY site.

Bugeater
07-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Make sure to have duct tape and cardboard handy for when you inevitably shatter the window.

chiefsfaninNC
07-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Since they are painted shut I will assume that they are wood double hung windows. Before you go to sleep tonight take a cap full of 30 weight and pour down into each track on both sides of the window ( this is accomplished from the inside). Tomorrow morning use a rozor knife to lightly score between the moulding and the window sash (again inside). Hit the top corner of the sash on both sides at the top with the heel of your hand firmly. Open the window.

blueballs
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM
pull down the garage door and
leave your car running
while listening to the oldies

Over-Head
07-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Heat gun, slim flat screw driver, paint scraper, putty knife, 2doobies, and a BIGS azz bottle of Gatoraid

As it would just so happen I myself spent 6 bloody hours "Un-Painting" a set of windows the "been at it 20 years know EVERYTHING" dude who lasted 2 days with me HE painted shut. :banghead:

Did he make my life easy with Exterior latex?:shake:
Not a chance.
Oil base ? Yer kidden me right? Life couldn’t be that nice.:shake:

Nope this mental marvel managed to talk the home owners into buying a 2 part apoxy based Enamil I had to F**K with for 6 hours on 3 windows.:deevee:
Here’s my best advice as a paint and plaster contractor.:hmmm:

First:
Scrape the be-jesus-outa the area between the jam and the casing where the windo frame makes connection to the jam..

Second:
Take your heat guy, and start with a small area, paint, ANY PAINT will eventually soften when heated. (Just don’t burn the surrounding area)
Work a small thin metal object between the jam and casing in short sections after softening up the area around the window frame.
Work a small section at a time, and eventually you WILL get the fuggen thing to open.

Eskimo Joe
07-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Jim,

This sounds like the best advice to date.

I would cover the glass with something just in case you get a little wild with any of the tools. Hardboard or thin plywood would work.

What do you think of the additional advice OH?

Heat gun, slim flat screw driver, paint scraper, putty knife, 2doobies, and a BIGS azz bottle of Gatoraid

As it would just so happen I myself spent 6 bloody hours "Un-Painting" a set of windows the "been at it 20 years know EVERYTHING" dude who lasted 2 days with me HE painted shut. :banghead:

Did he make my life easy with Exterior latex?:shake:
Not a chance.
Oil base ? Yer kidden me right? Life couldn’t be that nice.:shake:

Nope this mental marvel managed to talk the home owners into buying a 2 part apoxy based Enamil I had to F**K with for 6 hours on 3 windows.:deevee:
Here’s my best advice as a paint and plaster contractor.:hmmm:

First:
Scrape the be-jesus-outa the area between the jam and the casing where the windo frame makes connection to the jam..

Second:
Take your heat guy, and start with a small area, paint, ANY PAINT will eventually soften when heated. (Just don’t burn the surrounding area)
Work a small thin metal object between the jam and casing in short sections after softening up the area around the window frame.
Work a small section at a time, and eventually you WILL get the fuggen thing to open.

Bob Dole
07-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Jim,

And Eskimo taking up for a Canuck. Who would have thunk it?

Phobia
07-03-2006, 07:19 PM
This would probably do it:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/JohnCampanelli/FlameThrower.jpg
I kinda expected this post from KCMizzou

Psyko Tek
07-03-2006, 08:40 PM
here's mine
buy lot's a beer....
drink many and then go at it with razor blades, putty knives and hammers...

oughta work out fine

grandllama
07-03-2006, 09:31 PM
quit using whiteout on the screen

Halfcan
07-03-2006, 10:29 PM
A brick and a trip to the lumber yard to get new windows.

07-03-2006, 10:49 PM

Second this option.

07-03-2006, 10:49 PM
quit using whiteout on the screen

ROFL

This was my first thought.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Hmm? My first choice would be a razor blade, but it that starts to drag you down, you could always use one of these.

ExtremeChief
07-04-2006, 07:21 AM
get a Mac

Adept Havelock
07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Try one of these. No Windows, no problem. :shrug:

Neighbors might complain a bit.

stevieray
07-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I moved into a new (to me) home several months back and am just now getting the garage in order. Today I found that both windows in the garage are painted shut. :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: Does anyone have any helpful hints as to how to get them open?

sore forearms.

go bo
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
that's a nice van...

did you get that after you wrecked the other one?

gblowfish
07-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I love the internet. You can find answers to anything!
http://www.ehow.com/how_15072_loosen-stuck-window.html

StcChief
07-04-2006, 12:47 PM
It was probably a woman. No sane guy would do that. ROFL or a witch made the guy do it.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
If you have to ask people here how to open a ****in window, then I would strongly suggest that you use the razor blades as before mentioned to slit your wrists.

JimNasium
07-04-2006, 01:25 PM
If you have to ask people here how to open a ****in window, then I would strongly suggest that you use the razor blades as before mentioned to slit your wrists.
You've just hurt my feelings. I think I'll quit the interweb now. :deevee:

Over-Head
07-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Hey Jim,

I would cover the glass with something just in case you get a little wild with any of the tools. Hardboard or thin plywood would work.

What do you think of the additional advice OH?
Wouldn't bother, that way if he breaks the damn thing he can go to a "used or wholesale" lumber yard, and quite possibly find a returned NEW window from some contractor who ordered 1 too many (quite a common thing actually) :thumb:
SAVE the agony of "Un-sticking" a windo what WILL stick again as soon as the "hottest day of the year" re-melts the paint and seizes the f**k'en thing back shut

Over-Head
07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
And Eskimo taking up for a Canuck. Who would have thunk it?
It was given

KcMizzou
07-04-2006, 06:30 PM
I kinda expected this post from KCMizzouI try to avoid fires. I'm afraid if I have a 3rd, people will assume I'm running a meth lab or something.

teedubya
07-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I kinda expected this post from KCMizzou

Hahah... Poor Brandon.