PDA

View Full Version : Greinke on point

KevB
07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Greinke's line tonight in Springfield:

Complete game two hitter, one walk, 2 hits and 12 K's.

What a lift he could provide in the second half. Might give me a reason to go back out to the park.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Springfield has some hitters on that team as well, damn that triple though to score the only run for them, but what a dominating start, definetly a GREAT sign!

58-4ever
07-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Greinke's line tonight in Springfield:

Complete game two hitter, one walk, 2 hits and 12 K's.

What a lift he could provide in the second half. Might give me a reason to go back out to the park.

Wow. I can't really believe they let him throw the whole game. He must have been extremely economical with his pitches.

tk13
07-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Great news. Dayton Moore said he had really good stuff when he went to check him out last week, looks like he put it to use.

Also, Shane Costa went 3-3 with 3 runs scored in Omaha tonight... he's now hitting .450 since being sent down. MacDougal pitched a clean 9th inning there for a save.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Anyone think Macdougal will slowly get the closer role back and Burgos goes back to setup?

KChiefs1
07-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I say leave Greinke in Wichita or Omaha til next year. There's no need to rush him back to KC. I say have Gordon, Butler, Greinke & if Hochevar ever signs ready for 2007's roster.

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Great news. He's just what this rotation needs.

ChiTown
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Great news. He's just what this rotation needs.

That might be the understatement of the year............

This staff has 2 regular pitchers (Elarton and Redman) and 12 other guys who have tried to nail down the 3-5 spots.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm glad mike wood went to the DL, seriously he sucked ass.

SCTrojan
07-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I say leave Greinke in Wichita or Omaha til next year. There's no need to rush him back to KC.

Not a bad idea. We'll see what Moore does if he keeps throwing like that down on the farm.

beer bacon
07-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Anyone think Macdougal will slowly get the closer role back and Burgos goes back to setup?

Dear God, I hope so.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Dear God, I hope so.
Burgos has 8 BS's now, he would be better as the setup man for now and work his way as a future closer, he still is just 22. I think we use Burgos way too much esp recently.

SCTrojan
07-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Burgos has 8 BS's now, he would be better as the setup man for now and work his way as a future closer, he still is just 22. I think we use Burgos way too much esp recently.

Agree. He just doesn't throw strkes consistently enough to be trusted with the game on the line night after night.

VonneMarie
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm glad mike wood went to the DL, seriously he sucked ass.
I agree. We had our first real chance to sweep the Tards and he blew it.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree. We had our first real chance to sweep the Tards and he blew it.
Yeah, he isn't really even a #5 starter in my eyes, but our starter are all average if that.

VonneMarie
07-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah, he isn't really even a #5 starter in my eyes, but our starter are all average if that.
When he comes off the DL he should go back to the pen. Atleast he's good for a couple of innings.

petegz28
07-03-2006, 10:51 PM
He needs to spend the rest of this season in AAA at least until lte August

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 10:51 PM
When he comes off the DL he should go back to the pen. Atleast he's good for a couple of innings.
Yeah def. a middle relief guy that can eat a few innings but no way as a starter.

VonneMarie
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
He needs to spend the rest of this season in AAA at least until lte August
I agree... for Burg@ss.

petegz28
07-03-2006, 10:54 PM
I agree... for Burg@ss.

Burgos either needs to learn how to throw a change or breaking ball or he should be cut. A guy who only has a straight fastball and splitter isn't going to last long in this game at this level.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Burgos either needs to learn how to throw a change or breaking ball or he should be cut. A guy who only has a straight fastball and splitter isn't going to last long in this game at this level.
I believe he had a forkball last year or something like that and they told him to get rid of it and rely on the fastball more. Don't quote me though. I also think the changes in pitching coaches the last few years have def. hurt development as well. Hopefully Moore will stick with a plan and get some great coaches here if these aren't the right guys.

SCTrojan
07-03-2006, 10:57 PM

At this point, you may be right about Burgos. He throws hard, but his fastball has little to no movement. He needs to figure out how to cut it and he could be dangerous. That, and throw strikes consistently.

petegz28
07-03-2006, 10:59 PM
At this point, you may be right about Burgos. He throws hard, but his fastball has little to no movement. He needs to figure out how to cut it and he could be dangerous. That, and throw strikes consistently.

You knwo if he could get a cutter or even better a change that is onl;y half ass decent he won't need to get strikes as much.

He would have guys chasing like crazy as hard as he throws.

If they can teach him the slider like they did Mac he could be a real threat.

But a straight fastball usually ends up on the other side of the fence.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 11:00 PM
You knwo if he could get a cutter or even better a change that is onl;y half ass decent he won't need to get strikes as much.

He would have guys chasing like crazy as hard as he throws.

If they can teach him the slider like they did Mac he could be a real threat.

But a straight fastball usually ends up on the other side of the fence.
Movement is definetly the key, the guy has great stuff too, and an easy fastball where he doesn't pull a gagne and blow his damn arm out. Most our pitchers are still tryin to learn on the job, unfortunately.

VonneMarie
07-03-2006, 11:01 PM
What's the latest with Mac?

petegz28
07-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Movement is definetly the key, the guy has great stuff too, and an easy fastball where he doesn't pull a gagne and blow his damn arm out. Most our pitchers are still tryin to learn on the job, unfortunately.

Well I cut Burgos slack only in the fact that he wasn't supposed to be a closer. But he still can't be a 2-pitch pitcher with a fastball that don't move. I mean th other night in St. Louis was an exception. He usually gives up a jack or at least a hit or 2 cause guys just sit on his fastball.

I think I would of had Gobble as my closer instead of moving him to starter. Gobble throws good junk. And junk is what batters don't want to see in the late innings. They want hard throwers.

Sure-Oz
He had another rehab outing i believe and should be back after the AS break. I know the last one i heard he had a 10 pitch inning with a strikeout.

petegz28

I think he might be back by August, maybe late July

SCTrojan
07-03-2006, 11:04 PM

He's pitched a couple of clean innings here recently, IIRC. At this point, I'd think they'll wait until after the break to bring him up.

Sure-Oz
07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Well I cut Burgos slack only in the fact that he wasn't supposed to be a closer. But he still can't be a 2-pitch pitcher with a fastball that don't move. I mean th other night in St. Louis was an exception. He usually gives up a jack or at least a hit or 2 cause guys just sit on his fastball.

I think I would of had Gobble as my closer instead of moving him to starter. Gobble throws good junk. And junk is what batters don't want to see in the late innings. They want hard throwers.
Gobble has been pretty solid this year, and i have been suprised by his strikeout numbers as well. Burgos definetly needs to get movement on that fastball to be effective. Amazing watching guys on the twins with great control as well. Hopefully we can see some guys on our side get like that.

VonneMarie
07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
I can't wait. I miss the goofy lookin' dude.

tk13
07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
That's what MacDougal did last year, learned a cut fastball... did wonders for him.

Same thing for Jimmy Gobble this year... I do believe he added a cutter, and he's actually turned into a strikeout pitcher this year. It'll be interesting to see how he does tomorrow.

petegz28
07-03-2006, 11:09 PM
That's what MacDougal did last year, learned a cut fastball... did wonders for him.

Same thing for Jimmy Gobble this year... I do believe he added a cutter, and he's actually turned into a strikeout pitcher this year. It'll be interesting to see how he does tomorrow.

Mac also started throwing a mean slider too.

SCTrojan
07-03-2006, 11:16 PM

I took a good look at Gobble's stats last time I saw him pitch and he was averaging a strikeout an inning. That's a far cry from 2004 when he would barely average three or four strikeouts per nine innings.

FringeNC
07-04-2006, 08:47 AM
How does this season affect Greinke's service time clock? When's he going to be a free-agent?

Shootr
07-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Mac also started throwing a mean slider too.
Mac always had a mean slider. Remember the knee bucklers he was throwing in '03? I specifically remember K's he had on Frank Thomas, Barry Bonds, and A-Rod all with filthy sliders.

beavis
07-04-2006, 09:52 AM

I'm frankly amazed at Gobble's turnaround. I had pretty much given up on the guy.

Sure-Oz
07-04-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm frankly amazed at Gobble's turnaround. I had pretty much given up on the guy.
i did as well, and i believe he is just 24 as well. he has been a nice suprise!