PDA

View Full Version : Used car pricing question

Coach
07-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Greetings,

I am wanting to know a price range for a 2002 Ponitac Grand Am, 4 door, 115,000 miles, automatic, 4 cylinders, power locks and windows. Has a CD player, radio, the basics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DanT
07-04-2006, 05:45 PM
The Kelley Blue Book website will give you that info:

www.kbb.com

Deberg_1990
07-04-2006, 05:47 PM

www.kbb.com

What he said. Most dealerships use that site as well.

58-4ever
07-04-2006, 05:49 PM
50 dollars.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
You can get a 2nd opinion at www.nada.com as well.

rad
07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
6,000-good cond.
6,800-excellent cond.

Halfcan
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM

www.kbb.com

Kelly is always 2 monthes behind-if you want a real value take it to Carmax-they will offer (Wholesale) then you could take the cash or sell it on your own.

Goodluck.

Coach
07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
I know about the kbb.com, but my internet phone doesn't support the frames from that site. That's why I was asking for some help.

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I know about the kbb.com, but my internet phone doesn't support the frames from that site. That's why I was asking for some help.Here you go friend! Hope this helps.
Blue Book Private Party Value
Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

Vehicle Condition Ratings Check Vehicle Title History
Excellent
$6,175
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Good
$5,620
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Fair (Selected)
$4,920
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

Poor
N/A
"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value.

Adept Havelock
07-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Two Dollars!!

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Buying or selling? BTW: an '02 with a buck fifteen is going to be worth less than so called book claims. It still has some street value, but you could pick it up for nothing through the ring at an auto auction.

Coach
07-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks IA Chiefs fan. I see that it was private property deal. What it say for a Trade-in?

Coach
07-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Buying or selling? BTW: an '02 with a buck fifteen is going to be worth less than so called book claims. It still has some street value, but you could pick it up for nothing through the ring at an auto auction.

More of a trade in is what we're looking at.

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-04-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks IA Chiefs fan. I see that it was private property deal. What it say for a Trade-in?
Blue Book Trade-In Value
Trade-in Value is what consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in vehicle assuming an accurate appraisal of condition. This value will likely be less than the Private Party Value because the reselling dealer incurs the cost of safety inspections, reconditioning and other costs of doing business.

Vehicle Condition Ratings Check Vehicle Title History
Excellent
$4,500
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this category.

Good
$4,020
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Fair (Selected)
$3,205
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

Poor
N/A
"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its value.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 06:22 PM

spin 'er back. :p

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:26 PM

In that case, make them give you book for your car (with the hit for miles) because they are going to try to "give it to you" on the front end of the deal. You don't want to get boned on the trade as well. Another thing you will want to find out is "if" they use Kelly or NADA. Two different books. I have the NADA right here in front of me.

luv
07-04-2006, 06:30 PM
An 02 with 115,000 miles on it? I hope they're highway miles.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:30 PM

Unless it was a taxi, I would say yes.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 06:31 PM
ROFL frequent trips to the liquor store?

Coach
07-04-2006, 06:32 PM

ROFL

luv
07-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Unless it was a taxi, I would say yes.
I'm forgetting that he lives in Kansas. Depending on what he does, it's often miles between smaller towns and halfway decently sized ones. For some there, running to the grocery store could be a 20 mile trip at least.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:34 PM

Heh! AKA: Clock it! :D

Coach
07-04-2006, 06:35 PM

It is.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm forgetting that he lives in Kansas. Depending on what he does, it's often miles between smaller towns and halfway decently sized ones. For some there, running to the grocery store could be a 20 mile trip at least.

He would have to make a butt load of trips to the grocery store to log a buck fifteen on an '02, but as someone said, it is my boy Coach and he does like his tasty beverages. :thumb:

Coach
07-04-2006, 06:39 PM

Heh, it's not my car. It's my girlfriend's car. Her job requires her to do alot of traveling.

StcChief
07-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Got records of work done on this car.

115K miles on 4 cyl Pontiac motor...I'd wonder if something big wasn't coming up. Head gasket,
Waterpump, timing belt.

A/C compressor, Alternator, Raidator

Coach
07-04-2006, 06:44 PM
He would have to make a butt load of trips to the grocery store to log a buck fifteen on an '02, but as someone said, it is my boy Coach and he does like his tasty beverages. :thumb:

Ha. I own a 2000 Ford Ranger and I did have 156,000 miles (highway miles mind you) to show for my tasty beverages. :D

Bwana
07-04-2006, 06:47 PM
Ha. I own a 2000 Ford Ranger and I did have 156,000 miles (highway miles mind you) to show for my tasty beverages. :D

Hehehe, good for you Coach, now that's what I'm talking about. All this beer talk, I had to go get one from the shop fridge and crack it. :BLVD:

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Heh! AKA: Clock it! :D

That used to be a pretty common practice, but now I am not sure how you would do it. Buy a dash out of the salvage?

Did you have any luck trout fishing?

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 06:55 PM

Wow, some would say only a Toyota, Honda or Datsun would go that far. :D

Coach
07-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Wow, some would say only a Toyota, Honda or Datsun would go that far. :D

Yeah. I did use to drive a '71 toyota pick-up and it was good even over 200,000 miles.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 07:17 PM
That used to be a pretty common practice, but now I am not sure how you would do it. Buy a dash out of the salvage?

Did you have any luck trout fishing?

Yeah, I guess you could pick off a custer from Ebay or something.

I did indeed slay a few trout. The best part was making it in 3 miles further on my ATV than anyone else after busting drifts. My wife was right behind me on her ATV, but didn't seem to get the thrill out of the whole thing I did. ROFL I have to give her credit though, she was a trooper. Most guys wouldn't have hung in that environment.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah. I did use to drive a '71 toyota pick-up and it was good even over 200,000 miles.

Damn! That was one of them little ones too. I think the most miles I have ever put on anything was a company car. I get bored with them to quick. I put over a hundred-k on an '80 Buick Skylark in three years. It was an early FWD POS.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 07:21 PM
I did indeed slay a few trout. The best part was making it in 3 miles further on my ATV than anyone else after busting drifts. My wife was right behind me on her ATV, but didn't seem to get the thrill out of the whole thing I did. ROFL I have to give her credit though, she was a trooper. Most guys wouldn't have hung in that environment.

You must have been really high up to run into drifts this time of year?

Bwana
07-04-2006, 07:25 PM
You must have been really high up to run into drifts this time of year?

10,300 ft and I still couldn't make it to the top. I would guess in another 10 days it will be doable. I ran into the drift from hell and I was well above tree line so I couldn't winch across it. I forgot my camera, but my wife had her 35mm. When she gets her pictures developed, I will have them put it on disk as well and post some.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 07:33 PM
10,300 ft and I still couldn't make it to the top. I would guess in another 10 days it will be doable. I ran into the drift from hell and I was well above tree line so I couldn't winch across it. I forgot my camera, but my wife had her 35mm. When she gets her pictures developed, I will have them put it on disk as well and post some.

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. I want to go to Montana some day, we have family there I have not visited. It is supposed to be beautiful, look forward to seeing the pictures.
We used to go up to the "high lakes" in Colorado, they were only thawed out the first two weeks in August. The air was so thin you could hold a lighter to a piece of paper and it would not burn.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 07:37 PM
Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. I want to go to Montana some day, we have family there I have not visited.

No kidding, where are they at?

Coach
07-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Damn! That was one of them little ones too. I think the most miles I have ever put on anything was a company car. I get bored with them to quick. I put over a hundred-k on an '80 Buick Skylark in three years. It was an early FWD POS.

Yeah. It was one of those with a long stick-shift manual drive. One day I was driving to work with it, and I wanted to go from 1st gear to 2nd gear, and the son-of-a-bitch wouldn't shift. Then I jerked it harder to get it shifted, and the next thing I knew, I was looking at the stick right above my head while in a moving vehicle, and said "Oh shit!" while nearing a intersection.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 07:44 PM
No kidding, where are they at?

I can not even spell it, Mizulla? My Uncle (RIP) was a High School music Teacher in Mizulla (sp). I have a lot of cousins still there. Dad went up a couple years ago and was raving about the scenery. I guess one of my cousins has quite spread on one of the lakes.
Also, I used to make some Collector Mopar deals with Neal Freeman outside of Mizulla (sp). He is the guy that supplied all of the cars for the movie Christine.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 07:52 PM
I can not even spell it, Mizulla? My Uncle (RIP) was a High School music Teacher in Mizulla (sp). I have a lot of cousins still there. Dad went up a couple years ago and was raving about the scenery. I guess one of my cousins has quite spread on one of the lakes.
Also, I used to make some Collector Mopar deals with Neal Freeman outside of Mizulla (sp). He is the guy that supplied all of the cars for the movie Christine.

Missoula.........Damn fine country! About 350 miles from here and not far from Glacier National Park and Flathead lake. Gods Country for sure.

Phobia
07-04-2006, 07:54 PM
Two Dollars!!
I see you've been to CashMax too?

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Missoula.........Damn fine country! About 350 miles from here and not far from Glacier National Park and Flathead lake. Gods Country for sure.

I learned something, Missoula! I think it is "Flathead Lake" that one of my cousins lives on. I will look at a map and see where Billings is in relationship to Missoula.

Bwana
07-04-2006, 07:59 PM
I learned something, Missoula! I think it is "Flathead Lake" that one of my cousins lives on. So are you East of there Greg?
East 350 miles, but make it up there at least once a summer. One of the best places on earth. I know four different groups of people that have houses on the lake and are hardly ever there so the price is right LOL. All these guys have boats and jets skis as well they let us use. If you make it up there, you will never regret it. Let me know when you are ready to go, I have LOTS of pictures of the area.

Lurch
07-04-2006, 08:07 PM
$4500 for a decent deal; $5500 for a car in excellent shape...according to Kelly Blue Book

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ucp?kbb.KS;;KS103;&66048&;716878&;;ucp;cpe&5;PO;R5

EDIT: Okay, so I'm late. What's new?

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Yeah. It was one of those with a long stick-shift manual drive. One day I was driving to work with it, and I wanted to go from 1st gear to 2nd gear, and the son-of-a-bitch wouldn't shift. Then I jerked it harder to get it shifted, and the next thing I knew, I was looking at the stick right above my head while in a moving vehicle, and said "Oh shit!" while nearing a intersection.

Sorry for Hijacking your thread Coach, Montana just sounds so much more interesting than a Grand Am. :D

Bwana
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Sorry for Hijacking your thread Coach, Montana just sounds so much more interesting than a Grand Am. :D

I was thinking the same thing, but I think we took good care of the Coach before the hijacking took place. :)

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but I think we took good care of the Coach before the hijacking took place. :)

Agreed, and just in case, this might help. :p
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01-02-03-Grand-Am-SE-Speedometer-Cluster-Gauge_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33678QQihZ012QQitemZ220002550264QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bwana
07-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Agreed, and just in case, this might help. :p
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01-02-03-Grand-Am-SE-Speedometer-Cluster-Gauge_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33678QQihZ012QQitemZ220002550264QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Mileage :69k

That would indeed not only put the car on the Jenny Craig Program, but raise the value a great deal. :eek: Send me the VIN Coach and I'll burn a Carfax on it.

HemiEd
07-04-2006, 08:42 PM

That would indeed not only put the car on the Jenny Craig Program, but raise the value a great deal. :eek: Send me the VIN Coach and I'll burn a Carfax on it.

ROFL now I am LMAO!

recxjake
07-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Another reason why we should have an auto subforum...

Coach
07-04-2006, 09:01 PM

Sinner. :p

Coach
07-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Sorry, I don't know what's her VIN # is. Her car isn't with us as of the moment.