PDA

View Full Version : Royals Snap Twins Winning Streak

petegz28
07-04-2006, 08:51 PM
7-2 Royals. Another great game for DeJesus and Grudz. Teahan had a gem of a defensive play.

Gobble gave up a 2 run shot to Royal-Kilelr Lou Ford but other than that pitched a solid 5 innings. Peralta and Dessens finished off the game with solid performances as well.

Good game and the fans at the game should be very happy after the win and the fireworks.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
:clap:

tk13
07-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Shoulda had two in a row... against maybe the hottest team in baseball too. Good to see Gobble had a decent outing, hopefully he can build up some endurance and build off it.

DeJesus is tearing it up... he's hitting .331 now. He's reached base 30 times in the last 10 games.

Sure-Oz
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Anyone see the good defense by Teahan all game long?

banyon
07-04-2006, 09:07 PM
doesn't this mean it's time to get rid of our whole team now? :shrug:

luv
07-04-2006, 09:11 PM
Shoulda had two in a row... against maybe the hottest team in baseball too. Good to see Gobble had a decent outing, hopefully he can build up some endurance and build off it.

DeJesus is tearing it up... he's hitting .331 now. He's reached base 30 times in the last 10 games.
My stupid question of the hour.

Is the batting average simply based on hits, or do things such as whether the hits result in doubles, triples, and homeruns come into play?

Congrats on the win.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2006, 09:14 PM
My stupid question of the hour.

Is the batting average simply based on hits, or do things such as whether the hits result in doubles, triples, and homeruns come into play?

No. Batting average is based on hits and walks. If you walk, the at-bat doesn't count.

Extra base hits improve your slugging percentage, though.

luv
07-04-2006, 09:20 PM
No. Batting average is based on hits and walks. If you walk, the at-bat doesn't count.

Extra base hits improve your slugging percentage, though.
I'd never heard of the slugging average. I actually thought you were trying to fool me. I looked it up on wikipedia though.

SLG = (h + d + 2t + 3hr) / (n_{AB}), where (n_{AB}), is the number of at-bats for a given player, and h, d, t, hr, are the number of hits, doubles, triples, and home runs, respectively. The following site provides information on calculation, total bases, total official at bats, slugging, and other baseball statistics: ESPN's MLB statistics glossary.

teedubya
07-04-2006, 09:23 PM
luv, you are a great cut and paster...

Hammock Parties
07-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Read this book. It taught me almost everything I know about baseball.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0816013543/103-5169809-8551005?v=glance&n=283155

luv
07-04-2006, 09:26 PM
luv, you are a great cut and paster...
Actually, it was copy and paste. :D

No way could I have remembered all of that word for word to retype it.

Coach
07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Way to go Royals. On a side note' the Yanks got murdered by the Indians 19-1. Jeez.

Deberg_1990
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Im curious.....Why are the Royals playing better these days?? Moore couldnt have had an effect that fast could he??

luv
07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Read this book. It taught me almost everything I know about baseball.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0816013543/103-5169809-8551005?v=glance&n=283155
I was watching a game today.

Runners on first and second, no outs. Hitter hits the ball. Double play at second and first. The runner that was on second scored. I said at least the hitter gets an RBI. I was told no, because of the double play.

luv
07-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Way to go Royals. On a side note' the Yanks got murdered by the Indians 19-1. Jeez.
You're kidding, right? If not, I'm gonna have some fun giving a friend of mine a really hard time. He's a big Yanks fan.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2006, 09:30 PM
I was watching a game today.

Runners on first and second, no outs. Hitter hits the ball. Double play at second and first. The runner that was on second scored. I said at least he gets an RBI. I was told no, because of the double play.

I can't ever recall seeing a runner on second base score on a double play. Was there a throwing error or something? If there's an error they usually don't award an RBI.

luv
07-04-2006, 09:34 PM
I can't ever recall seeing a runner on second base score on a double play. Was there a throwing error or something? If there's an error they usually don't award an RBI.
Not that I recall. The ball got to second base, the second baseman threw the ball to first. I guess by the time that happened, there wouldn't have been time to throw it home. They didn't say anything about an error.

Same game, though. Ball is hit, runner at first doesn't make it to second (forced out). Instead of throwing to first for the easy double play, the second baseman throws home due to the guy on third going for home. He end up safe. Damn it! It was the wrong team.

tk13
07-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Im curious.....Why are the Royals playing better these days?? Moore couldnt have had an effect that fast could he??
Part of it is we're getting healthy. See DeJesus. Our offense has gone from pitiful to pretty good with him back. Minky and Emil Brown both started poorly and now are hitting pretty well, Buck and especially Teahen are hitting much better. I don't know how much having DeJesus on base in front of them all the time has to do with that.

Our pitching still isn't that great, but Mark Redman getting healthy solidified the rotation a little. He's probably been the best starting pitcher, hence getting into the All-Star game, and he was hurt the first month of the season.

luv
07-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Actually, I may not be remembering correctly. I think the runner was on third. He got a double before the guy got to first. He probably advanced to third. Then, when the third hitter came up, and the double play happened, he scored. I was still told that the run would not count as an RBI for the hitter due to the double play.

Hammock Parties
07-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Not that I recall. The ball got to second base, the second baseman threw the ball to first. I guess by the time that happened, there wouldn't have been time to throw it home. They didn't say anything about an error.

Same game, though. Ball is hit, runner at first doesn't make it to second (forced out). Instead of throwing to first for the easy double play, the second baseman throws home due to the guy on third going for home. He end up safe. Damn it! It was the wrong team.

What game was this?

Hammock Parties
07-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Actually, I may not be remembering correctly. I think the runner was on third. He got a double before the guy got to first. He probably advanced to third. Then, when the third hitter came up, and the double play happened, he scored. I was still told that the run would not count as an RBI for the hitter due to the double play.

OK, that makes more sense. Statistically, with runners at the corners (first and third) and no outs, you have a better chance to score than in any other situation. The reason for that is because most teams are usually going to take the double play and allow the runner on third to score.

Deberg_1990
07-04-2006, 09:40 PM

Our pitching still isn't that great, but Mark Redman getting healthy solidified the rotation a little. He's probably been the best starting pitcher, hence getting into the All-Star game, and he was hurt the first month of the season.

Well obviously our pitching wont get much better this season, but im guessing Moore is evaluating the talent level overall there and will definately make some changes in the off-season. Considering the organization he came from, i expect lots of changes on the pitching staff in the off-season. We wont truly get any better until the pitching improves.

Coach
07-04-2006, 09:42 PM
You're kidding, right? If not, I'm gonna have some fun giving a friend of mine a really hard time. He's a big Yanks fan.

Nope, not kidding. Yanks got slaughtered by the Indians. Hell, Custer and his men had better numbers at the Little Bighorn than the Yankees.

R&GHomer
07-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Nice too hear the Royal are doing well. The girlfriend and I went to a friday night game a few weeks ago and they won. Seem to be keeping up the trend. Really nice fireworks show after, I bet it was even better being the 4th and all.

Lurch
07-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I have a hard time giving a shit about this game after.....the Royals gave up 3 runs in the 8th on 4 walks and 2 wild pitches and one freakin' HIT to these assholes last night. :banghead:

Mosbonian
07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Nice too hear the Royal are doing well. The girlfriend and I went to a friday night game a few weeks ago and they won. Seem to be keeping up the trend. Really nice fireworks show after, I bet it was even better being the 4th and all.

Was that the Friday night game with the Devil Rays on the 9th of June?

mmaddog

Saulbadguy
07-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Great game. Too bad they cut the Fireworks short. :(

Sure-Oz
07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Why did they do that?

Pitt Gorilla
07-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I have a hard time giving a shit about this game after.....the Royals gave up 3 runs in the 8th on 4 walks and 2 wild pitches and one freakin' HIT to these assholes last night. :banghead:Don't forget the throw into left field. It was difficult to watch, but it's nice to see them come back today. This team is really building well for the future.

4th and Long
07-04-2006, 11:27 PM
Wal-Mart budget crunch?

plbrdude
07-04-2006, 11:34 PM
wind conditions